PDA

View Full Version : No new warp spiders hmm

Latro_
08-08-2006, 23:24
Just had a thought. Its generally been rumoured and from sneak peeks of models that warp spiders are not getting re-done. Does anyone find this odd? esp seing as they didnt get redone in the old codex either...

Warp spiders have one set of models... Banshees, scorps, reapers are now on their 3rd!

weird i say! weird! it's not like they dont need redoing!!

Indrid Khold
08-08-2006, 23:31
I always rather like the Warp Spider models, I think they were the best looking of the 2nd edition Aspects.

I suspect their lack of revision is due to the fact that they aren't used very much. Which is probably due to the fact that they suck in the game. Typical Games Workshop self-fulfilling prophecies (also see: entire Dark Eldar army).

Eidolon
09-08-2006, 00:47
I suspect their lack of revision is due to the fact that they aren't used very much. Which is probably due to the fact that they suck in the game. Typical Games Workshop self-fulfilling prophecies (also see: entire Dark Eldar army).

Warp spiders suck in the game? Tell me you're kidding.

I don't know why GW decided not to get them redone, but the sculpts are great anyway. Sadly, I can't say the same thing for the wraithguard..

Bregalad
09-08-2006, 00:53
The Warp Spiders were the only aspects of 3rd and 2nd edition whose look I liked. But they represent a heavily armoured troop with heavy weapons, so there is not much to change, no fancy jumping or weapon whirling like other aspects might do. Same with the Wraith Guard, same with Necron warriors, all slowly advancing with big guns, so no big variety possible. And looking at the other new Eldar minis, I am very pleased.

Latro_
09-08-2006, 01:08
But they represent a heavily armoured troop with heavy weapons, so there is not much to change,

Terminators - redone
Obilterators - redone
necrons/imortals - redone
Dark reapers - redone twice
Marine devstators - redone x times
Chaos havocs - redone
orks in mega armour - redone
tau stealth suits - redone

hehe all of those fit the above.
I'm not whinging i dont even play eldar, i just think its a bit odd that GW would chose to re!-redo models in favour of models never redone. The fact no one uses spiders cus of their rules is a shame though... remember 2nd ed anyone with the flamer templates :P.

I think alot of it might also be why they'll never change sisters too much... to hard to do without making them look bad.

Bronka
09-08-2006, 01:15
The warp spiders are good sculpts and fit in just fine with the current range. In fact, most aspect warriors were fine as they were before the current re-release of the Eldar. Howling Banshees, for example, were superb sculpts, and IMO have been made worse with the new ones. The only aspect that really, badly needed redoing were the striking scorpions.

Painted up properly, the warp spiders will sit comfortably with the new Eldar minis. I know it, you know it, Games Workshop know it - all those other people out there, they all know it too.

Dosadi
09-08-2006, 01:45
If it ain't broke...you know how it goes.

Seriously though, I think the Warp Spiders are nice models that stand up today with any of the new aspects. The Aspects that are getting re-done are the original 6 (with the exception of hawks). These were RT era models that got half rate sculpts in 3rd edition. Jes Goodwin is the design lead on the Eldar. They are his baby (literally). The re-sculpts were so nessesary on the Scorpions, Dragons, Banshees and Reapers. The Avengers never got proper models in 3rd. and the Hawks were passable. I'm realy glad they went back to the original design for the Aspects. It makes me all sentamental and $**t. I do think they should have re-done the Exarch as he doesn't fit with the spider's tactics that much. Also giving him multiple weapon options like the new exarchs would have been nice. from what I hear we are going to see alot of spinneret rifle conversions.

Dosadi

BodhiTree
09-08-2006, 02:13
But in all of this will the Eldar get a Warp Spider Phoenix Lord? I imagine she/he being an impressive model... ditto for the Shining Spears.

OT: I was trying to figure out why the new Scorpian Exarch looked so familiar to me, and I came to the conclusion that it reminds me of the Predator. (I bet I'm the last one to realize it.) So now I wanna have him fight Catachans in a jungle, or converted Genestealers in a space hulk or something nerdy like that.

Epicenter
09-08-2006, 03:07
I rather like the Warp Spiders currently. If GW can't think of a redo that doesn't look dumb for them, I don't see any reason why they should change it. God forbid, it looked as bad as the Dark Reaper exarch with that heinous Combi-Reaper, I'll thank them for not changing Spiders.

Except that many of their models are hideously ugly and in dire need of a redo, the Dark Eldar are actually a very effective force when I play against them. In fact, if you look at the W:L record of a lot of DE armies, I'd say they're probably overpowered. (And no, before someone says it, DE don't really require any special skill to play. I've switched armies with DE players in my area, and after having the units explained to me, I did almost as well as they did. My conclusion is that ANY army that isn't a MEQ requires a minimum IQ of a normal person to play, that's it. MEQs can be played by people with lower.)

Sasquatch
09-08-2006, 03:30
I'd have to disagree that Spiders aren't effective. Good BS, rate of fire and armor, high strength and mobility and at a decent price. The down side is the lack of AP, but even against marines, you're going to cause enough wounds that they'll drop a few. They're also excelent for hunting light vehicles and small elite units.

I personally don't like the current models much. Too static and lumpy for my tastes. It's a shame that they aren't getting re-done with the codex, but I'm sure they'll get a face lift in the near future.

Charax
09-08-2006, 03:39
I like the current Spider models, but the poses are boring and they're hell to convert. Even just the option for seperate heads & weapons would be a godsend

FearFrost
09-08-2006, 06:12
They are redoing the hawks? The box cover in that one rumor picture looks like the current ones...

Bregalad
09-08-2006, 09:32
Terminators - redone
Obilterators - redone
necrons/imortals - redone
Dark reapers - redone twice
Marine devstators - redone x times
Chaos havocs - redone
orks in mega armour - redone
tau stealth suits - redone

All the above armies have a great deal of minis not redone, so have Eldar. And some new Eldar sculpts were rejected being too close to the old ones, it is difficult to improve the Warp Spiders considerable IMHO (even Banshees and Farseers are very similar).

BTW: No new Hawks and Phoenix Lords.

chosen_of_khaine
09-08-2006, 12:43
yea, the warp spiders are great as they are, i did hear a rumor that there is going to be a new warp spider exarch model though

Storm
09-08-2006, 14:34
The models are a bit old, but they look ok. Could whish for a more dynamic pose, but they are ok.

on the battlefield they are great. Why is it that anythin that lacks ap value is concidered as bad? To me it seems that anything that doesn`t hit on a 2 wound on a 2 and no save allowed whatsoever, is regarded by some to be crap.

librerian_samae
09-08-2006, 14:45
I dont see why people have this thing with AP, i used to think it was all important. But from my experience with tau and the ravenwing, I have found out that with enough shots you can take down anything!

Plus the strength of the deathspinners is amazing, its pretty much wound any infantry sized model on a 2+, Couple that with their jump generators and hit and run exarch skill and they are an extremly effective and deadly unit.

Shame though that the minis arnet being redone, as they need a new exarch. Basic troopers are great as they are, but the 'look at me I'm cartwheeling, wheee!' exarch does seem a bit at odds really.

lord_blackfang
09-08-2006, 15:44
To me it seems that anything that doesn`t hit on a 2 wound on a 2 and no save allowed whatsoever, is regarded by some to be crap.

Surely not. If that were the case, people would field armies entirely maxed out on Starcannons and nothing else.

Oh wait... :eyebrows:

emperorpenguin
09-08-2006, 15:49
I have to say I think it's daft that GW hasn't redone the Warp Spiders or Wraithguard, both are so old now

The Howling Banshees instead get redone with bad models, inferior to the current versions.
The Fire Dragons get a 3rd set of models with no noticeable differences! All 3 versions could easily be interchangeable

librerian_samae
09-08-2006, 16:03
I personally like the newer banshees, they:
1) dont look like their helmets are nearly the same size as they are
and
2) now fit in with all aspects having variations on gaurdian style helmets.

But anyway in some ways Im glad that they havent redone the warpspiders and wraith gaurd in some ways because they are very sexy and I also have far too many of them already as it is!:p

Cyboss GrimTeef
09-08-2006, 16:03
I have to say I think it's daft that GW hasn't redone the Warp Spiders or Wraithguard, both are so old now

The Howling Banshees instead get redone with bad models, inferior to the current versions.
The Fire Dragons get a 3rd set of models with no noticeable differences! All 3 versions could easily be interchangeable

I guess this all comes down to a matter of taste, as I rather like the upcoming Banshees and Dragons far more than the current, and prefer the old Rogue Trader minis over the current ones by far. I also like the Wraithguard just fine.

See, my theory is that with Jes as the master designer and sculptor over the Eldar, he got to choose which models get redone. Which ones then, hmm? Well, everything from the last edition that he didn't do, of course!

Let's look. What got redone last edition by someone other than Jes?
Avengers - sort of, with metal additions to plastic Guardians
Banshees
Scorps
Dragons
Reapers

Now, what gets redone by Jes himself (or Martin Footit, who is likely working closely with Jes) in this new edition?
Avengers
Banshees
Scorps
Dragons
Reapers

On top of that, we get:
Wraithlord
Warwalker
Rangers (by Martin Footit - but likely Jes had a hand in there too)

But Jes sculpted the old models of:
Wraithguard
Warp Spiders

... so he didn't bother having them redone. What's wrong with them anyway? It sounds to me some people want new models just for the sake of them being new. Why bother when there's no significant design improvement? The current Eldar are going to be quickly eclipsed by the upcoming models.

Jes is really in control of this Eldar range, and it shows. I think a lot of the current Eldar stuff was Chris Fitzpatrick, and I'm glad to see his sculpts go the way of the Zoats.

I think that no new Spiders just shows how in control Jes is at the design studio. If it's broke looking - and it ain't done by Jes - then they'll fix it.

emperorpenguin
09-08-2006, 16:12
... What's wrong with them anyway? It sounds to me some people want new models just for the sake of them being new. Why bother when there's no significant design improvement.

I'm sure had we not seen the new rangers for example we'd say the same "what's wrong with the old ones?", in fact I remember seeing it said!

The Wraithguard aren't bad but the Warp Spiders are a bit too chunky and would benefit from newer tech in sculpting and moulding.
The weapon is far too fat and very 2nd ed for one.

you're right though, it is a matter of taste.

I actually dislike the guardian style aspect helmets. I also consider Fitzpatrick's banshees graceful and feminine where the new ones are butch

chosen_of_khaine
09-08-2006, 16:56
ive noticed that 2 of the things that arnt being redone (wraith guard and warp spiders) are nearly the only models that have what...2 or 3 poses available ?, coincedence ?

luchog
09-08-2006, 20:41
I personally like the Warp Spiders. They've always been my favorite troops, and one of my favorite models. I don't see that they really need changing aside from a few minor tweaks (ie, assault 2 instead of rapid fire). I wouldn't mind a few new, more dynamic poses, but I'm not complaining that much.

I haven't really made up my mind on the new Banshees. The new models are stockier, but I hated the old helmets. Even more than the Dire Avenger helmets. The new Banshee exarch is pretty impressive, however.

emperorpenguin
09-08-2006, 21:54
I haven't really made up my mind on the new Banshees. The new models are stockier, but I hated the old helmets. Even more than the Dire Avenger helmets. The new Banshee exarch is pretty impressive, however.

yup they're the Howling Butchees! :p :D

LastLaugh
09-08-2006, 21:56
I like the warpspider models. I didn't know they haden't been redone since 2nd ed.

Latro_
09-08-2006, 23:14
All the above armies have a great deal of minis not redone, so have Eldar. And some new Eldar sculpts were rejected being too close to the old ones, it is difficult to improve the Warp Spiders considerable IMHO (even Banshees and Farseers are very similar).

BTW: No new Hawks and Phoenix Lords.

Out of the armies noted which has a unit with models as old as the warp spiders... any unit. I cant think of any. (p-lords and wraithguard an exception)

I agree with most people the models are fine... But thats never stopped GW re working and re evolving models in the past.

jimbobodoll
09-08-2006, 23:46
the oldest models are the 2 warlock models. I have white dwar-fs/ves from the 140's (1991? 1993?) with one of those warlocks in... Back against a blood angel army which included a thudd gun. Those Warlock models are still pretty though!

FearFrost
10-08-2006, 06:25
I think a lot of the current Eldar stuff was Chris Fitzpatrick, and I'm glad to see his sculpts go the way of the Zoats.

Actually, the only sculpts that he did were the banshees, as far as I know, and those are the models that everyone seems to prefer over the new versions (I think Im gonna mix em' cuz I like both).

Juan Diaz did a lot of the 3rd ed eldar, I know that. Oh, and Mike McVey, before he moved on to Greener Warmachine Pastures.

Fitz did the only Dark Eldar models that dont suck, too. (incubi/wyches)

cailus
10-08-2006, 06:52
S6 Rapid Fire weapons useless?

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I've never faced Eldar. That and Howling Banshees and Wraithlords and Falcons and lots of other stuff that would make my Tau and Marines wet themselves and let alone my poor footslogging 6+ save Orks!

It's wierd but in 10 years of 40k I've never faced the Eldar! I've fought the Dark Eldar lots of times but never Eldar.

oscar2434
08-07-2011, 18:46
why shouldn't they create new models:(
they should create them more like a spider,
smaller weapons(maybe even no weapons at all,spiderman)
more crouched rather than upright,

and for people that say they suck, they don't,
12 movment plus 2d6 in assault phase a very fast unit, perfect for city fighting, jump out fire and then teleport back into cover
in the assaultthey can hold there own then hit&run away, fire more shots and assault again.

Thud
08-07-2011, 19:46
Welcome to Warseer, Oscar.

By the way, this thread is five years old.

wascloud
08-07-2011, 20:01
Is it scarier that you can bring a thread back to life after 5 years, or that 2006 was FIVE YEARS AGO?!

t-tauri
08-07-2011, 21:10
Thread closed. Please look at the date and relevance before bringing threads back from beyond the grave.