PDA

View Full Version : D20 Apocalypse

x-esiv-4c
19-06-2005, 15:04
Hey guys,
has anyone got the D20 Apocalypse book? I was wondering what it was like. I love the Fallout setting / games and was wondering about starting a fallout campaign. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

billr
19-06-2005, 18:09
Interesting. I'm thinking of a miniatures game sort of like that. Except the apocolypse isn't nuclear. So I guess most people wouldn't consider it the same.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

erion
20-06-2005, 01:31
Actually, d20 apocalypse handles everything from standard nuclear armageddon to an earth wrought asundwer by thefinal battles of heaven and hell, and pretty much everything in between you can imagine. It's worth a look if you like "It's the end of the world as we know it" type games.

x-esiv-4c
20-06-2005, 01:32
Ahhh sounds cool. I've been looking for a book to help make a "Fallout" setting.

Morgan Keyes
20-06-2005, 02:12
Also take a look at Gamma World and Darwin's World if you are looking for d20 apocolyspe stuff. Being OGL it's fairly easy to borrow from the whole lot and mix it together into something you can use.

ShadowseerNox
21-06-2005, 03:35
Yes, it is like d20 future, which was not a campaign setting, but a tool box to make campign settings. d20 Apocalype appears to be the same thing. I used to mainly play GURPS and most of their source books are made like that and it is a method I like. This lets me do my own thing and not have any lore addicts yell at me.

d20 future also has a Wasteland setting idea that I belive if was two words longer they would be "Vault Dweller".

x-esiv-4c
21-06-2005, 03:44
hehe, Thanks for the heads up Nox. Has the new edition of GURPS come out? Is it retro-compatible?
Thanks mate.

ShadowseerNox
21-06-2005, 03:51
Yup, SJ Games cam out with 4th edition last year (20+ years in the makeing) and they streamlined and removed alot of the stuff that was time consuming. I haven't had the chance for a practical test, but it looks good. I have the books characters, campaings, magic, and fantasy. I've been waiting for Banestorm or some of their high tech settings

As far as back wards compatable, no problem. Most of their source books avoided addding too much in the way of new rules. Mostly they added skills, andvantages, disadvantages, gear, and maybe magic of PSI power. I plan to get Infinite Worlds, the first time GURPS has had a core setting (took nearly 30 years to get around to).

x-esiv-4c
21-06-2005, 04:05
Ok, so it's not really a new edition but just a polishing up in a way. Well, it's nice to see other systems still doing well against the onslaught of the D20 wave.

btw, nice avatar!!

ShadowseerNox
22-06-2005, 04:57
Thanks, talk of the Wasteland sent me searching for a sutable Fallout avatar, turned out I already had one. Anyway, SJ games has gotten behind in their books, one new one a month turned out to be a bit over reaching. So their schedual is a bit off, but they are getting back on track. I like e23, they sell adventures and supliments online for $4, some of their stuff is for out of print stuff, and some time they want to post out of print source books on the cheap so I look forward to that.

Sprue Rubbles
22-06-2005, 20:59
I hear Darwin's World is very much like Fallout. I have Darwin's World, but never really got into Fallout and I can tell you Darwin's World is a superb post-apocalypse rpg. There's some realy love of the work by the author, Dominic Covey. You can tell he has a very clear idea of how his world works. Check it out at http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?page=dw

Gamma World d20 is another great line, but if you like any of the previous versions of Gamma World, there is a good chance you won't like it. There has been an uproar by these fans that GWd20 is NOTHING like Gamma World. My favorite rpg of all time is Gamma World 1st edition, and I think GWd20 is actually pretty good. It's more broad than any other edition, but that only means you have more to work with. I think it's very underrated.

Anyways, I guess you were asking about d20 Apocalypse and I saw it this past weekend and was impressed with WotC's new art direction with both d20 Past and Apocalypse. I'm going to pick it up for sure, even if it's just for the production value. Amazon has Apocalypse for 13 bucks so it's really a "why not?" kind of a deal. Keep in mind, there's not much fluff in these books at only 96 pages.

x-esiv-4c
22-06-2005, 21:02
Thanks for the help Sprue-Rubbles. I'm looking into the Darwin's World thing, looks quite promising. My problem with the globalization of the D20 system is just that. I like some variety of rule systems, I really liked the S.P.E.C.I.A.L system that the fallout games have. Yeah D20 is a universally accepted system but somethings it just doesn't seem to handle well. I'll probably get the D20 Apocalypse because it's cheap as hell but i'll probably branch out.
Once again, thanks for the help.

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2005, 03:36
There doesn't seem to be many retailers for the Darwin's world books. I don't fancy the idea of the Ebook either, where did you get your copies from Sprue-Rubbles?

Sprue Rubbles
23-06-2005, 07:02
I got it at my local game store.

Amazon has it for 15% off:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0974306711/qid=1119506169/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-6382146-9283058?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

BUT the folks at RPGObjects are saying that they have run out of print of the 2nd edition (hardcover, the one you want) and there are no immediate plans to reprint it. I'll check to see if there is an extra copy at my store.

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2005, 13:11
If there is I will gladly buy a buy a copy from you or however you want to arrange it.