PDA

View Full Version : New army, need advice...

Mooglemen
09-08-2006, 08:47
I always swore I would never make one of these posts, but alas... here I am.
I have a friend looking to start his first army, so I thought I would start my second so that our mutual efforts would help keep us focused on finishing. Anyway, my last army was the Tomb Kings, but now I'm looking to get into something new. I consider myself more of a painter than a gamer (I can waste hours painting every little tiny peice of even the lowliest of rank and file model), so I am looking for an army with good conversion and painting prospects. I also like the look of ranked infantry (I'm just tired of looking at skellies) in my army.

So,as of now I have it narrowed down to three armies. I have painted one unit of Ogres (which took me ages) and one unit of dwarfs (which was lots of fun), and have been thinking about starting these two for some time, but recently I have been leaning toward Dark Elves because the models give me lots of themed army ideas.

This shouldn't be so hard.

Anyway, can anybody make an argument to sway me one way or the other please? I can't stand this indescision much longer.

Nadir
09-08-2006, 10:53
First of all I must say im shocked to hear that a painterperson would choose tomb kings hehe.

Anyway for your question, I would definately say Dark Elves. Themes are always cool, but thats not the main argument. Its variety. Dwarves are just that, dwarves. Ogres are also just that, Ogres. With a few more exceptations than the dwarves sure, but not enough IMO if your mainly looking for painting and converting.

For then the Dark Elves are for you. Not only elves, but harpies, lizards, manticores, hydras, and so on. Ogres are the only other contender of these three that I see, but I still think DE would be nicer.

ps. I like elves a lot more than dwarves/ogres so I might be a tad biased.

Mephistofeles
09-08-2006, 18:06
Well, as Nadir said, Dark Elves seems to be the way to go, if you like to have more variety then in your Tomb Kings army (though I con't see how you could get less variety then TK :P)

Anyway, with the Dark Elves, you can paint and paint and paint, and still find new fun things to paint. If you tire of painting black clad pointy ears, do some lizards. If you tire of painting scales and tails, do some harpies.

With a Dwarf army, things are really going down the drain if you realise that you have gotten tired of painting beards :P

Mooglemen
09-08-2006, 18:55
Thanks guys. These two votes for dark elves pretty much reinforce what I was alreay thinking.
So, I guess the next question would be... where should I begin with DE? The theme in my mind at the moment is a Dark Elf forest raider army. I have visions of camouflaged guys who would leap out of the forest to ambush the lesser races. I could see myself using a few wood elf models where appropriate for this theme. Maybe camo nets over the bolt throwers. I don't know how I would model this, but I can imagine Shades with brush camo (think modern sniper camo).
Anyway, should I just go with a box of regular warriors to start off with? I guess that's the usual starting point. (My last army I bought all at once).

Mephistofeles
09-08-2006, 19:07
Don't buy all at once, you seem to have allready realised this, but it takes repeating: If you buy all at once, the chances of getting sick of it all multiply by a number greater then the times Ozzy Osbournes has done drugs.

A good thing to do is to skiss up an army list, see more exactly what you want and can include, and then you should start with the thing you have the most of. If you have, say 40 warriors, buy a box of them first, in that way you can paint them, and then paint a lot of different things before having to paint warriors again.

If you want camo, then go for really dark camo, dark green colours mixed with black colours to achieve the Forest Camo effect without loosing the Dark Elves evilness. Remember, you don't want to look like a woodie with spikes :P

DeathMasterSnikch
09-08-2006, 19:19
Dark Elf plastics are looking old, I'll vote for em just so I arn't throwing you off an army you seem to have already decided on but the plastic spearmen are starting to look REALLY old.

Edit: Don't forget to keep looking round, chaos are rich in themes, conversion posibilities, troop choice etc and don't have amsses of models in an army so you can spend time painting them without getting behind your friend.

Mooglemen
10-08-2006, 05:48
Deathmaster: I appreciate the suggestion of chaos (and this may be the Windsor Canadian talking) but just as I swore I would never make a "help me pick an army" post, I also swore i would never play chaos. Nothing personal, and i see the potential in it, I just can't see myself playing chaos. Hopefully I can overcome the outdated model rangge of the Dark elves with a bit of conversion work to make the army uniquely my own. To everybody who replied to this topic, I appreciatew the help. The descision has been made. consider the matter closed and keep an eye out for my progress in the modelling section. Good night everyone./

DarkTerror
10-08-2006, 07:13
I also swore i would never play chaos

Amen to that!