PDA

View Full Version : UK GT Bret Tourney List

ewar
09-08-2006, 11:27
Hi all,
I know theres another Bret tourney thread below, but I don't want to hijack it! This is a first draft list for heat 2 of the UKGT this year. I'm building a whole new army and love the Bretonnian models, though how the hell I'm going to get it all painted before November is a problem I'm yet to solve... ahh well, I'm sure it'll all work out for the best. I've only played a few games with Brets so far, which doesn't put me in the best position to judge the army as a whole, so all comments welcome.

Duke = 216
+ armour of agilulf, lance of artois,
Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Confidence, Warhorse

Paladin BSB = 154
+Virtue of Duty, Warhorse, Valorous Standard

Damsel = 105
+ warhorse, scroll

Damsel = 125
+ warhorse, scroll, Chalice of malfleur

9 Knights Errant = 201
+ full command

6 KotR = 168
+ full command

8 KotR = 216
+ full command

3 Pegasus Knights = 185
+ standard

5 Mounted Yeomen = 82
+ musician

20 MaA = 100

20 MaA = 100

24 Bowmen = 168
+ skirmish

2 Trebuchet = 180

* I know most people won't consider men at arms competitive, but I don't think a Bret list is complete without a decent amount of peasantry. Also, the army is designed to be played with the refused flank in mind, Kinght on one side, artillery in the opposite corner with the fodder in the middle.

yesthankyouplease
ewar

shadowprince
09-08-2006, 21:41
On the contrary I find th strength of brettonians comes from the men at arms, They are great on the flank, and they have pretty good armor. I was expecting to see an all calv list and I am now pleasantly surprised. I say make the MaA 25 strong, that should really mess with your opponents flank ideas.

ewar
10-08-2006, 07:29
I know what you mean, the trouble is the list is exactly 2000pts, and I have tweaked and streamlined as much as possible to fit it all in. The only real option is to drop the Valorous Standard and use the 50pts for more ment at arms, and command groups for them. I'm going to play test both, see what happens.
Would be a shame though as I'll be investing the BSB, Duke and and Damsel in one unit of knights to be the hard hitters, and I like the reliability the valorous standard adds. Cheers for the advice though.

ewar

Latro
10-08-2006, 07:42
I like the list a lot!

It looks like a well-balanced allround army to me, a challenge to play and a challenge to play against. The only thing that I would probably do different is the large unit of archers ... too big for my taste. Being so large they become more of a target (instead of being ignored most of the time) and because they skirmish the enemy can more or less dictate in what direction the pursuit/overrun will be.

Personally I woul go for:

- two smaller archer unit, one regular (guard artillery, can divert attackers) and one skirmish (flexible unit, can take advantage of terrain, be annoying)

- one archer unit (skirmish or regular, depends on taste) and another fast cavalry unit ... because they are always great to have

:cool:

Donga666
10-08-2006, 17:26
I was expecting to see an all calv list and I am now pleasantly surprised. I say make the MaA 25 strong, that should really mess with your opponents flank ideas.

I couldn't agree more!!!!

25 is the optimum size for M@A's, 20 is too small. That extra rank makes all the differance (5x5). Use the HW/Sh combination because you win combats by ranks NOT killing things (maybe spears, but polearms suck!).

Good luck at the GT!

I get a spanking when I go:cries: But it is great fun!! Playing in Warhammer world is an experience.

ewar
11-08-2006, 10:06
Cheers for the comments guys, one thing I wanted to avoid was writing an uber all cav list - it's a shame that the Brets lend themselves to powergaming lists so well. And anyway, I've been playing Nurgle horde for so long I just really want to use some missile fire and artillery!

I'm confident it'll do well against elite armies as the relatively high number of units and good balance will pay off, especially against elves. My only worry is coming up against serioues horde armies - gobbos and especially skaven, as I've never played against them (in 17 years of wargaming!). Still, thats the whole point of going to the GT I guess. I've only played against my 3 regular gaming mates for the last 6 or 7 years, and I always beat them, so as the four of us are all going together I think they're looking forward to me getting my **** kicked!

Updated list: as above but dropping valorous standard for boosting both MaA to 25 for 50pts.

To Latro:
I know what you mean about the flexibility, plus the big unit may run away at the first sign of danger. But they're designed to form a protective group around the trebuchets, and with their 360 degree fire arc they get a nice 24 shot charge response - hopefully enough to repel light cav or flyers.

That said, I think I may trim their number to 20, freeing 28 points for either command groups for the MaA or some kit for the BSB. Hmmmm...

ewar

Latro
11-08-2006, 10:14
To Latro:
I know what you mean about the flexibility, plus the big unit may run away at the first sign of danger. But they're designed to form a protective group around the trebuchets, and with their 360 degree fire arc they get a nice 24 shot charge response - hopefully enough to repel light cav or flyers.

That said, I think I may trim their number to 20, freeing 28 points for either command groups for the MaA or some kit for the BSB. Hmmmm...

ewar

Remeber though, anything charging that screen while still aiming for the trebuchets will pursue/overrun straight ahead into your expensive warmachines ... because skirmishers have to allign themselves to the charger. A unit of regular archers could position themselves at an angle to direct the charger away from the warmachines ... giving you a lot more time to deal with it.

:cool:

Donga666
11-08-2006, 10:21
I always beat them, so as the four of us are all going together I think they're looking forward to me getting my **** kicked!

Could well happen!

ewar

Get command groups!!!!!

It is a must, if you can 'shoe horn' in a Paladin with Virtue of Empathy, do that too!

I run two blocks of 25 or one of 30, with a paladin with either Gt weapon OR sword o'might/enchanted shield. He sees off more 'baddies' that you would imagine. I then have I nice big command bubble (18in) to place all my 'scardy cat' peasants in. Ld 8 makes a massive differance, i can then send my knights off on 'encircling' missions and such.

Peasant are effective if you give them tools to do the job, naked M@A's, bowmen and Treb crew will just run off at the first loud bang. Its not nice when someone drops a terror causing beastie infront of your peasants and they all run off without so-much as a by-your-leave. You WILL see terror causing beasties at the GT.

Like I said, good luck!

The Blue Knight
11-08-2006, 13:46
As a longtime Brett player, but new to posting here, I must agree with Donga666, a soild unit of MAA's with the Paladin kitted with the virtue of empathy a sword of might (or maybe the morning star if being cheap). I have had this unit absolutely mow through other player's units (mostly O&G) by combat resolution.

Other than that I run a similar list in tourneys. Good luck.

shadowprince
11-08-2006, 19:20
Yep I remember play9ing onie of those in the final round of th elocal emperors champion tournament 2 years back with my efls that was a pain in the ****. I killed all th eknight sbut those stupid peasants, with the paladin and damsels. Those things just wouldn;t go away lol.

Watch out for the elfs though they will be more manuverable than your own calvary. ANd have the magic to mess with your. Elf brett games are my favorite.

ewar
14-08-2006, 13:24
In that case I think I'll drop the Valorous standard and one unit of MaA in order to fit in a second paladin on foot and boost the remaining unit to 25 or 30 - depending on how I can juggle the points.

I'm painting these like crazy now, will post pics when the whole army is done and any results of playtesting.

ewar