PDA

View Full Version : Buying Painted Minitures

grg3d
09-08-2006, 17:17
So do you belive its ok to buy them allready painted so you can play at a shop that requires them to be painted? or is it the wrong thing to do?

Not to enter them in a painting comption or being a lazy git.

I just don't have allot of time to paint anymore and still want to play.

Chaos and Evil
09-08-2006, 17:18
Then do it.

cookiescrumble
09-08-2006, 17:24
I believe that painting and modelling are part of the hobby, and people should take pride in their own work.

jedipenguin
09-08-2006, 17:31
Personally, I'd rather paint my own mini's as thats at least half the fun of the hobby to me plus it gives a nice feeling of achievement and a personal attachment to what are otherwise silly toy soldiers. That said, I would not seek to enforce this viewpoint on somebody who derives far less enjoyment from the act than myself.

If you feel you lack the skill/time to paint the models to a satisfactory level and (more importantly) have the funds to afford to commision somebody to paint your army, by all means go for it, loads of people go do it every day.

Sir_Turalyon
09-08-2006, 17:32
I buy painted minis only if I can't find unpainted ones at similiar price, and repaint them unless paint job is so good I can't bring myself to striping them. I would never purposefuly buy painted miniatures, ut have no problem with people doing it. There are worse thuings in wargaming one can do.

Chaos and Evil
09-08-2006, 17:41
If you enjoy the gaming, and don't have time to paint, then buy pre-painted so you can have some fun.

It's quite simple really.

Personally I paint all my own miniatures, but I'm also often paid to paint for other people so I can see both sides.

t-tauri
09-08-2006, 18:00
I frequently buy painted stuff. It's often cheaper than unpainted, it's frequently decently assembled and it's easy to then repaint as required to match an existing army.

As long as you don't enter them in Golden Daemon or try and win best painted at a tournament then I've no problem.

Some guy (UK)
09-08-2006, 18:11
I wouldn't buy to play with, but buy to strip then repaint. I wouldn't mind someone using minatures painted by someone else in a game, if I played.

Later, Some Guy

Dr Death
09-08-2006, 18:12
I wouldnt say it's "bad" but imho it's not desirable or satisfactory. There is a moral angle which has already been plainly outlined and explained but i wouldnt have any problem with you playing with figures you havnt painted yourself. Indeed if you've actually paid for a decent comission and got a high quality standard of work it can be quite rewarding, simply for the value of it being a nicely painted peice. Personally though, i wouldnt do it, simply because i take pride in the efforts i put into my painting and the gradual aquisition of skill.

Dr Death

asmodai_dark86
09-08-2006, 18:28
I have an odd stance here.

See I've always believed in painting your own minitures - sure buy them painted, but only if you intend to repaint them.

However I am a comission painter, and over the past year or so I must have sold at least 3000 points of bretonnian knights to a gammer.

At the end of the day, this part of the hobby is a very personal one. Some people will spend months painting a single model to perfection, some will pay someone else to paint them, some wont paint them at all.

Theres something immensely satisfying about your own work. There is nothing better then seeing the unit you painted obliterate your opponents unit that hes spend months on too. If you bought them painted, theres always something hollow about the victory...

As long as your not passing it off as your own work either - thats perhaps one of the worst things to do with the hobby...

gjnoronh
09-08-2006, 20:37
To me it depends on what you want to use them for.

If you want to play in a shop or just own some painted minis to play with friends buy away. (Which is your question of course.)

The place I see it is a problem is tournaments where at a number of GT's I've played against folks with purchased painted armies.

If you are participating in tournaments where painting will be judged and you do not disclose the fact that you didn't paint them yourself that is a problem. The same would apply if you played your battles with some buddy you paid giving you tactical advice during the whole game AND you didn't disclose that.

generulpoleaxe
10-08-2006, 12:27
painting your own minis is very rewarding but, a lot of people do not have much spare time due to work etc. some people just want an army painted to a better standard that they can achieve.
this is why i am able to make a living. :)

and not admitting that you didn't paint your army for a tournament is bang out of order.
a friend of mine loves the orc i painted for her, but won't field it at tournaments because then she would not have painted ALL of the army.

darkprincewilson
10-08-2006, 12:36
Ultimately, I do not care. I just do not want someone to claim they painted their miniatures when they did not.

syrme
10-08-2006, 19:38
nothing really wrong with it - some people have no time or skill to paint - as long as you dont claim the work as your own and enter it for any painting prizes.

gjnoronh
10-08-2006, 20:07
For all that many fokls hate the ide of referring to the hobby for me at least it is.

I think folks who buy a bunch of toys and then never paint them aren't getting full value from their entertainment dollar (above and beyond the fact that forcing yourself to paint your toys before buying more slows down your expenditures.)

That being said if painting doesn't float your boat buying painted minis is fine with me. Just in competition settings where I get annoyed.

Minister
10-08-2006, 22:32
Myself, I concider the use of models painted by someone else (not taking a loan of an army for a game or two or borrowing your mates Terminators 'til you're finished painting yours, but having as your own) much the same as using unpainted models: i'm not going to object, but it really is Not The Done Thing. I havn't done either in over a decade (my dad helped me paint my first Gretchen, which I have used more recently, but I don't think that really counts)

Gaebriel
11-08-2006, 07:42
I don't care who painted the models someone plays with. Whether someone likes to paint or not is up to them. I know the whole spectrum of people - those who like to model and paint but won't play that much, and those who like to play, but are not the least interested in painting. The hobby is what one makes of it, as well as as what one wants to make of it - there is no should.

Major Thom
11-08-2006, 13:49
I know guys who regularly brouse ebay and pick up painted units and armies and use them. I say good for them, since when I battle them I am facing a painted army. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy painted minis, someone elses work is not for me.

Now if I run a tournement and I know they haven't painted the army that is played, I am not going to to allow full marks for it. It's a question of effort.

grg3d
11-08-2006, 15:57
Thanks for the replies and a little more of the story, I had a Lawnmower accident with over 1/2 of my army :eek: yep I put 10 destroyers and 3 heavy destroyers and 20 Warriors on the railing(outside) to dry when I clear coated them (they were painted) along came a wind while I was in the house which blew them into the tall grass while the landlord was mowing the grounds....
Now as long as it took me the first time to put them together and get to this level and the replacement cost it was just 1) cheaper and 2) timesaving to buy them all painted and put together I still have 45 fig to finish. So I will still be painting most of my army, I just couldnít / didnít want to start all over again.

AND no I will not be putting them on the railing again :evilgrin:

hairyman
11-08-2006, 17:16
I don't care who painted the models someone plays with. Whether someone likes to paint or not is up to them. I know the whole spectrum of people - those who like to model and paint but won't play that much, and those who like to play, but are not the least interested in painting. The hobby is what one makes of it, as well as as what one wants to make of it - there is no should.

Spot on.

I hate painting. I'm terrible at it, and it bores me to tears. I also don't have enough free time to lavish attention on an army. I would have no problem with paying for painted minis, if I was still gaming regularly enough to justify the expense.

Different strokes for different folks. I love playing, I love the look of the game, just hate painting.

TeddyC
11-08-2006, 17:57
Now if I run a tournement and I know they haven't painted the army that is played, I am not going to to allow full marks for it. It's a question of effort.

Doesnt deserve any marks IMO...

I just think not painting your own models is cheating a bit. Y'know Ive spent a lot of time and effort... why cant you be bothered?
Not that it bothers me really. I wouldnt refuse to play you. Just I find myself thinking that if you cant find the time or effort to paint your minis your missing the point a bit. FOr me painting isa much bigger part than gaming.

I dont think anyone should pass them off as their own though under any circumstances.