PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Highborn: S8, 2+ save, is this possible?

EvC
09-08-2006, 19:14
In a tournament game last Sunday, I fought a Dark Elf player with a Highborn mounted on a Dragon. In turn one he charged my Black Coach, and told me that his Highborn had a weapon that gives him a straight S8. I was impressed by this, especially when he told me it was 60 points, as it meant he could destroy the coach in one wound, and let him continue, and the coach was indeed destroyed, his dragon ending up behind my lines.

Next combat against him, I wounded that general 4 times with a S7 attack, and he said he had a basic 2+ save, for a save of 6. He failed all the saves, but taking a quick look through a Dark Elf book earlier, I could see no possible combination of weapons that could give him Strength 8 and a 2+ save.

Anyone with the book care to enlighten me?

Gorbad Ironclaw
09-08-2006, 19:17
Sure. The weapon is the Gauntlet of Power, from Albion.

As for the save, heavy armour, Sea Dragon Cloak and Enchanted Shield would give him a 2+ save in combat(and 1+ vs shooting).

And still leaves him with 30 points to spend on magic(but no ward save better than 6+).

Cenyu
09-08-2006, 19:41
There's also the Armour of Darkness (price as a scroll; includes a shield) which confers a 2+ save. It is also a possibility though it leaves few points for a decent wardsave if combined with the Gauntlet of Power.

By the way, the drawback of the Gauntlet is that it strikes last unless the wielder is the charger.

TheWarSmith
09-08-2006, 19:42
That weapon is complete PWN. I'd never use it as it's completely broken and underpointed. It's a 1 hand weapon that confers S8 to the bearer and I think even strikes in initiative(MAYBE strike last, but i don't think so)

It's commonly known as the "powerfist" of fantasy.

EvC
09-08-2006, 19:45
Thank goodness, I was starting to get paranoid! After looking up that item, I see I should have had my Nightmares and Wraith (without great weapon) attacking before his general did, but somehow I don't think they would have affected things too greatly ;)

Mephistofeles
09-08-2006, 19:47
Are the Magic Items from Albion actually allowed in tournament play? Are they actually considered "true fluff" ? OMG....

I mean, what are they? There is a power fist, a flamer, a melta gun (if I recall right) and a scanner. Seriously GW, thats taking the "WFB and 40k is entwined" **** a bit too far....

Gorbad Ironclaw
09-08-2006, 19:48
That weapon is complete PWN. I'd never use it as it's completely broken and underpointed. It's a 1 hand weapon that confers S8 to the bearer and I think even strikes in initiative(MAYBE strike last, but i don't think so)

It's commonly known as the "powerfist" of fantasy.

:rolleyes:

You do strike last with it. As for it being completly underpriced, hardly. You do get str 8, and yes, it's a very nice weapon. But it's also mounted on an elf lord, who can at most get a 5+ ward save with it(decent armour save though).

It's certainly not a no-brainer option, or even given you an unfair advantage.

TheWarSmith
09-08-2006, 19:49
wait till you see the rail guns.

sigur
09-08-2006, 19:52
That weapon is complete PWN. I'd never use it as it's completely broken and underpointed...

I also disagree. This weapon is quite costy and considering the rest of the DE armoury, it's another interesting option. I'm not sure about the gauntlet being that much of a no-brainer; I might favor a 4+ ward save and equip the Highborn with another magic weapon.

TheWarSmith
09-08-2006, 20:21
It's only 60 points. You can easily take lots of other goodies and still take this item. There are other items that are almost completely inferior that cost more points.

DeathMasterSnikch
09-08-2006, 21:00
I agree with WarSmith, underpriced IMO. Make it 70-75 and then yeh, maybe it would be a little more like it. At 60 points it's a bargain.

Ravening Wh0re
09-08-2006, 22:51
Yup. Cheap and powerful. It's almost a no-brainer really. Btw, where can you get the Albion magic items list?

Cenyu
09-08-2006, 23:40
It's less of a no-brainer than a Great Weapon for a Chaos Champion - there are enough DE players who choose the Draich of Dark Power instead for example.

Wait... isn't it strange that the two most popular DE magic weapons were not in the original army book but had to be thrown in afterwards? Without these fixes the Dark Elf magic item section would be useless for the most part.

chivalrous
10-08-2006, 00:17
It's less of a no-brainer than a Great Weapon for a Chaos Champion - there are enough DE players who choose the Draich of Dark Power instead for example.

Wait... isn't it strange that the two most popular DE magic weapons were not in the original army book but had to be thrown in afterwards? Without these fixes the Dark Elf magic item section would be useless for the most part.

Have to say my favourites are still Blade of Ruin and Lifetaker.
The first because it works wonders against knights (even if I don't get a strength bonus) and the second while isn't the uberweapon of doom, can normally make the difference between a great Eagle with a single wound left and thanksgiving supper. It's also pretty neat against skirmishers.

As for S8 and a 2+ save, there's also the Executioners axe/blood armour combination. If the Lord has a Sea Dragon Cloak and a Shield on top of the Blood Armour, he only needs to inflict a single wound to bring him up to 2+. Doesn't leave him any space for a Ward save though.

EvC
10-08-2006, 00:54
Yup. Cheap and powerful. It's almost a no-brainer really. Btw, where can you get the Albion magic items list?

I can never find it online, so if I want to look them up I put "Albion" into the "Search this forum" function here in the Rules Forum of Warseer, which brings up a link to them. Of course, putting Albion into GW's own search engine brings up nothing of the sort :rolleyes:

enyoss
10-08-2006, 02:13
It always seemed to me that the Gauntlet of Power was priced the way it is to go specifically with the Mystic Shield of Light (the two coming right up to the limit for a Highborn). The former forces you to strike last whereas the latter allows a ward save which, if passed, allows you to hit the model that struck it on a 3+ for the rest of the turn (well, essentially anyway)... which is great because you strike last anyway. Seems like a handy way of making a Highborn who stands a decent chance of tonking anyone with a WS equal to or higher than his own.

Now, if only they'd bothered to get the descriptions right. I cringe every time I think of the fabled, noble, High Elven, er, 'wickedly taloned claw, that pulses with dark power'. Bet the hangovers were thumping after that game designers' meeting.

cheers,

enyoss

TheWarSmith
10-08-2006, 15:21
Due to the very limited access to the rules for these items, I'd be very skeptical about their use. I read through them and a strong majority of them just seem REALLY good.

samw
10-08-2006, 16:04
They're pretty well costed and accurate actually, they just appear cheap and nasty compared to the wealth of dross in the army books. The exception of course is the emminently useless item the dwarfs got, but had anyone else won it it would have been cool too.

TheWarSmith
10-08-2006, 16:07
Is your sig quote ripped from that Storm of Chaos wrap up thread about a week ago?

samw
10-08-2006, 16:25
Is your sig quote ripped from that Storm of Chaos wrap up thread about a week ago?

The bit by bubble ghost is I think, the tagline was mine though. :D Come on, Archaon in a Rocky montage, don't say you don't love it.

TheWarSmith
10-08-2006, 16:35
::sings:: "Everything goes faster w/ a Montage!!! MONTAGE!!!"

So, where can i find the albion magic item rules?

enyoss
10-08-2006, 17:08
Here they are:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/gaming/treasures.pdf

cheers,

enyoss

Mephistofeles
10-08-2006, 20:12
Oh My *********** God....

I had forgotten how bad it was. It's a god damned Power Fist, a Power Weapon, a Scanner, a Power Armour, A flamer, a Power claw and...a Hexstaff? What is that supposed to be?

TheWarSmith
10-08-2006, 21:46
give me my lascannon and multi melta.

Kjell
10-08-2006, 22:06
Oh My *********** God....

I had forgotten how bad it was. It's a god damned Power Fist, a Power Weapon, a Scanner, a Power Armour, A flamer, a Power claw and...a Hexstaff? What is that supposed to be?

No, they are magical items with similiar in-game effects. Slight difference. ;)

Really, they are not 40K weapons. You want to model them as it? Okay, go ahead, but they are essentially easter eggs. Some designer thought it'd be funny, no doubt.

Mephistofeles
10-08-2006, 22:46
Well, they are 40k weapons, I mean, they even describe how they look like and how they work, and they ARE 40k weapons...

enyoss
11-08-2006, 02:12
The interesting thing is that the items gained by the High and Dark Elves are some of the best ones they have access to. For example, the High Elf magic weapons were all but useless with the characters' base strength of 4. The strength bonus afforded by the Armour of the Gods really went a long way towards making a Prince or Commander with a magic weapon viable.

cheers,

enyoss

TheWarSmith
11-08-2006, 05:43
and that armor is only THIRTY points. Yes, you have to be on foot, which most elven players won't like, but JEEZ.

g0ddy
11-08-2006, 05:45
It's only 60 points. You can easily take lots of other goodies and still take this item. There are other items that are almost completely inferior that cost more points.

a Prime example being the High Elf "Lightning Claws" from Albion...

However.. Power armour is very very nice :D

- g0ddy

enyoss
11-08-2006, 11:13
and that armor is only THIRTY points. Yes, you have to be on foot, which most elven players won't like, but JEEZ.

Well, 35pts ;) . Ok, it's not overly pricey but I don't think there is any way it can be described as being unbalanced or cheesy. It seems that the price was deliberately set to offer some nice, but not overpowered, builds with the existing magic weapons. For example, the Blade of Sea Gold, Armour of the Gods and Guardian Phoenix gives a reasonable 4A, S5 no armour save Prince with a 5+ ward for exactly 100pts. I know it seems popular to double it up with Swordmaster, but I think the S7 auto-crunch incentive is to blame for that rather than the armour.

cheers,

enyoss