PDA

View Full Version : Noise Marines Background

Vogon
09-08-2006, 21:30
Hi

I wonder if anyone can remember the background for the Noise Marines as it appeared way back in the early 90s. I've been racking my brains trying to remember if they were always part of the Emperor's Children or if they were another chapter that just happened to worship Slaanesh. I do remember that the armour as painted in the White Dwarf back then looked nothing like EC armour.

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction it'd be appreciated (a picture'd be good too).

Cheers

Vogon

jimbobodoll
09-08-2006, 21:47
Well as the traitor legions have deteriorated and loss structure. both your thoughts could be true... Noise marines have changed considerable in their image over the course of 40k versions from electric guitar players (you love it) to their current versions with gun like weapons... The armour has changed with this...

Terminatorphoenix
09-08-2006, 21:51
i always fought they were the vanhal,the decendants of eddie van halen who eventually became space marines(that theory is entirely derived from the electric guitars)

NOTE: i hate eddie van halen's music,i am a child of the grunge era

jimbobodoll
09-08-2006, 21:55
i always fought they were the vanhal,the decendants of eddie van halen who eventually became space marines(that theory is entirely derived from the electric guitars)

NOTE: i hate eddie van halen's music,i am a child of the grunge era

Off topic just for this post!: No way were Van Halen grunge man.... Grunge killed off that big hair stadium rocker stuff.... Thanks the noise marines for that!

Terminatorphoenix
09-08-2006, 21:57
i don't think you read my post right man. I HATE(WITH A HUGE PASSION) VAN HALEN'S MUSIC.I my self like grunge music.

woooooooooooohhhhhhhhooooooo

300th post lets break out the champaghne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vogon
09-08-2006, 22:03
OK thanks for that guys :)

Still does anyone out there have the WD with the article in?

jimbobodoll
09-08-2006, 22:08
ive got all white dwar-fs/ves since 263 on my shelf and there isnt anything specific in any of em. I used to have almost all of them between 140 and 200 and can't remember anytihng specific in those either... My memory is sketchy but your best bet for fluff is to find a Emporer 's children article/chaos codex. Good luck! See index astartes compliations for the children's article

Vogon
09-08-2006, 22:18
I think it was somewhere in the 150s but I'm not sure. I had them all too but having moved round the UK and then to the USA they seem to have mostly gone missing :(.

<edit> after a bit of searching on the good ol' interweb thingy I've discovered the article to be in WD145 (144US) December 1991. Not got the article though so I'm still after help (and Photo)</>

Cheers

Vogon

Brother Othorio
10-08-2006, 23:05
no idea where my copy is, but i remember the article quite well, back then Noise Marines were categorically not Emperors Children, they were loyal Marines who were driven mad by Slaanesh after going too deep into the Eye of Terror, i seem to recall the wording of the fluff seeming to imply that it happened pre-heresy, but the miniature was wearing corrupted Mk7 armour leading to speculation that they were loyalists who had chased the traitors into the Eye after the end of the Heresy

Vogon
11-08-2006, 04:01
Thank you.

I'm still searching for the article and if you manage to unearth it I'd be greatful. Especially if you manage to scan the picture.

Cheers

Vogon

Skrittiblak
11-08-2006, 11:54
Even in the current fluff: While all members of the Emperor's Children are Noise Marines, not all Noise Marines are members of this Legion.

jimbobodoll
11-08-2006, 12:01
Even in the current fluff: While all members of the Emperor's Children are Noise Marines, not all Noise Marines are members of this Legion.

Yup. Search "noise marines" in wikipedia.

sybaris slaay
14-08-2006, 21:12
I was wondering if someone could paraphrase what the difference is between the old fluf and the new - if that is what the issue is. I am very interested in EC myself and would really like to learn more about it other that what is in the codex.

~sybaris slaay

Vogon
14-08-2006, 22:03
<Digs around in hazy memory>
Once long ago in the dim and distant past there was some background created for the Emperor's Children Legion of space marines, at this time they were simply Chaos Marines who worshiped Slaanesh. In 1991 Jes Goodwin sculpted some Slaanesh worshiping marines (and if I remember correctly) who were *not* of the Emperor's Children Legion called Noise Marines.

The Noise Marines were marines who's already heightened senses became mutated by Slaanesh to become directly wired to the pleasure centers of the brain so that loud and discordant noises and bright/clashing colours and patterns became the only things that they would respond to. As time went on only the noises and colours of the battle field were powerful enough to stir them. If you can find a picture of the original Noise Marines that appeared in WD their armour was very bright, tiger stripes, leopard spots and rainbow colours all in the same miniature, not the black and pink of the EC.

At some point (late 90's?) the background for Emperor's Children and the Noise Marines became merged and this is what we have now.

Hope this helps.

Vogon (still trying to track down that picture)

Inquisitor S.
15-08-2006, 08:55
http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Bild:NoisemarineRT.jpg

This one? Or this http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Bild:Klass._Emp-Child.JPG

EDIT: it's WD 144

Vogon
15-08-2006, 14:32
The first one

Thank you that's just what I was looking for. Actually I'd forgotten about the old Emperor's Children miniature. From the days when Citadel brought out that metallic painset by the looks of it too.

Cheers

Vogon