PDA

View Full Version : Which army is less common?

arxhon
09-08-2006, 22:57
Dark elves or Lizardmen?

Please discuss.

DeathMasterSnikch
09-08-2006, 23:07
I'd say Dark elves In my area. Not sure if it's just because of where I live or if this is how it usualy is.

der_lex
09-08-2006, 23:09
I don't know, there's a both Dark Elf player and a Lizardman player in my gaming group. Funnily enough, they're a couple. At least we now know where the little hydra's come from, then...

DeathMasterSnikch
09-08-2006, 23:16
. At least we now know where the little hydra's come from, then...

You should be in jail for giving me thoughts like that :cries:

Cpt. Drill
09-08-2006, 23:18
Dark elves by far... I know two with them and about 8 with lizardmen....

4 have the same dirty dirty lizardman list aswell!

der_lex
09-08-2006, 23:22
You should be in jail for giving me thoughts like that :cries:

Says the person whose avatar is waving its ass at me... :D

4 have the same dirty dirty lizardman list aswell!

Skink horde of doom?
That's the only list my local Lizzie player will field against me after I beat his Slann-led magic-based army :(

DeathMasterSnikch
09-08-2006, 23:28
Says the person whose avatar is waving its ass at me... :D

I'm always cautious about negative responses about this Avatar but meh If you prefer I make an avatar of the Hydras creation it's your eyes that you will have to gouge out with a plastic spoon.

Edit: Thought I should add somthing constructive...I hate skinks.

EvC
09-08-2006, 23:59
Dark Elves, by far. After all, Dark Elves = weak list with poor selection of models, whilst Lizardmen have a great selection (Even though you may have to go back an edition or two), strong units and a very beardy potential list.

StormCrow
10-08-2006, 00:08
Dark Elves, by far. After all, Dark Elves = weak list with poor selection of models, whilst Lizardmen have a great selection (Even though you may have to go back an edition or two), strong units and a very beardy potential list.

Dark elf models rock, far better than cruddy skinks in my opinion

arxhon
10-08-2006, 00:19

I like the look of the Dark Elf models, myself, but without getting into nastiness, what's up with the comment of "weak list"?

DeathMasterSnikch
10-08-2006, 00:22
Weak : No
Bad models : Yes, Spearmen heads look so bad IMO, the new boltthrower sucks compared to the old ones too.

EvC
10-08-2006, 00:25
Reading comprehension ftl.

"Poor selection": ONE Sorceress model on foot, ONE on a cold one. ZERO Highborn models available. ONE box of plastics. Model on Dark Pegasus has legs directly attached to Pegasus body making conversions difficult.

Weak list = my personal opinion. If it offends you, then call the internet police, I'm sure they'll be glad to help you.

StormCrow
10-08-2006, 00:33
ah, touche. I thought you meant poor as in the model range as a whole.

Yes, the dark elves definetly need the wood elf treatment when it comes to hero and lord choice models. And i'm not really a fan of their monsters...but then again i'm not a fan of WH monsters in general.

arxhon
10-08-2006, 00:53
Weak list = my personal opinion. If it offends you, then call the internet police, I'm sure they'll be glad to help you.
:rolleyes:^ :rolleyes:

I ask a simple question, and you come back with passive-aggressive snark (look it up). Way to go, buddy.

DeathMasterSnikch
10-08-2006, 02:52
^ I agree with arxhon, bit of a geeky comeback too...

Now that I see where you come from however, yeh, they do need a new range of models.

After teh job they did on woodelves DE better be done similar, wood elves are soo good I want the plastic box set just to replac e One warhammer quest elf...Shame I don't wana spend £18 on 1 elf.

TheWarSmith
10-08-2006, 03:39
Dark elves tend to attract an older audience from my multi regional experience. Just seems that when I look at younger players, there are more lizardmen in relation to older players.

Mephistofeles
10-08-2006, 07:55
As previously noted, I too think that Lizardmen and Dark Elves atract different players.

Dark Elves seem to attract the ones who are after a "cool" army with cool background and nice pictures. Someone who cares more about the fact that his army is out raping townfolk then actually winning on the battlefield.

Lizardmen on the other hand, attract the ones who are there to win. I mean, the lizzies don't really do anything but fight, they are engineered to not do anything but fight, so not much "Lizardmen Private Life" to think about and build fluff around there. Lizardmen are a great army rules-wise though, which attracts a lot of players.

m1s1n
10-08-2006, 17:52
I think I will attempt to actually give my old mentor an answer--

Dark Elves are considered "weak" because most of the units are T3 with a low armor save. Granted their saves are better than High Elf and Wood Elf units, but really that is just splitting hairs. Even though Dark Elf Warriors have been given a price cut in points, the other units in the list carry a hefty point burden. Furhtermore, an army that is true to background is rarely effective on the field. This isn't to say that Dark Elves don't win--in fact they have a good variety of units that dominate when used correctly--however, it takes a serious amount of time (and loses) to really make a cohesive force.

Lizardmen, on the other hand, require very little amount of tinker-time in order to get a force on the road to victory. Most of the units have a good toughness and armor save, or are so small and insignificant that they do not prove to be a point-drain on your army. Most Lizardmen carry a heavier point-cost, but are far more durable--which means that mistakes do not carry the same consequences as with Dark Elves.

Still, Dark Elves have always been my favorite (I lost my Warhammer-cherry to them). They are very fast and mobile (maybe not the FASTEST, but that's not the issue) and can be very frustrating to face. If you know what you're doing and play towards your weaknesses you can overcome everyone.

I do see more Lizardmen than Dark Elves, but I partially attribute that to Lizzies being a newer army with a younger appeal. Furthermore, they do seem to attract more players who are interested in winning without working for it. (/generalizations about Lizardmen).

Yes, I was bitten by a snake as a child.

EvC
10-08-2006, 18:00
:rolleyes:^ :rolleyes:

I ask a simple question, and you come back with passive-aggressive snark (look it up). Way to go, buddy.

Well what did you expect? Do you seriously want me to explain my opinion of why the Dark Elves army are a weak army list, or will it suffice to mention the fact that GW decided they needed to post an update in an issue of White dwarf to strengthen the army a while back?

And what is the world coming to that someone can be flamed for a bit of geekiness on an internet message board on wargaming. By a guy with an anime girl wiggling her ass for his avatar. Oh, the humanity.

DeathMasterSnikch
10-08-2006, 18:32
I do see more Lizardmen than Dark Elves, but I partially attribute that to Lizzies being a newer army with a younger appeal. Furthermore, they do seem to attract more players who are interested in winning without working for it. (/generalizations about Lizardmen) .

I agree, lizardmen seem more like a no-brainer army because they lack a lot of weaknesses other armies do, then again lots of people just like reptiles/dinos etc so pick it for the look (although I miss the old saurus).

Dark elves seem to require more tactics when played therfore end up being shuned by new players who lose with them before they can develop ways of using dark elves effectively.

Well what did you expect? Do you seriously want me to explain my opinion of why the Dark Elves army are a weak army list, or will it suffice to mention the fact that GW decided they needed to post an update in an issue of White dwarf to strengthen the army a while back?

And what is the world coming to that someone can be flamed for a bit of geekiness on an internet message board on wargaming. By a guy with an anime girl wiggling her ass for his avatar. Oh, the humanity.

Ah that post has enlightened me. You're clearly the embodiment of maturity. I mean playing with toy models is one thing but watching TV god I'm bizzare and immature, plus I was in no way attempting to flame, just thought the comeback was a bit harsh considering all that was asked was 'Why do you consider DE weak'. I apologise If my pic is toomuch hard core pr0n for you and also regret liking Excel Saga. Sorry.

arxhon
10-08-2006, 19:35

Trolling.

Reported.

bob syko
10-08-2006, 19:50
I've never played lizardmen before so I would say them.

Captain Brown
10-08-2006, 19:56
Since it is obvious that folks are letting the discussion of Dark Elves versus Lizardmen get the better of their judgement.

Thread Closed.

Captain Brown
WarSeer Inquisition