PDA

View Full Version : Carnage or Bust - 1500pts in 3 weeks

Gen_eV
10-08-2006, 04:25
So, I've been signed onto the Carnage Social for over a month, and what have I done for my army? Painted a couple of test models, and fiddled about working on a new design for the bolters (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45062).

I'm collecting an all-infantry CSM force, so there's just over fifty models still to assemble and paint. Hopefully I'll be able to pull off a similar feat to my Tyranid army, which was 1500pts (except the Hive Tyrant) in three days. Otherwise, I won't have the chance to get any practice games in, and I need to get used to the CoD rules.

So, a quick run-down of my current status:
"The Client" - Assembled
Lieutenant Einarr - Part-assambled
Lieutenant Eyulf - Part-assembled
Squad Svanvar - Part-assembled
Squad Styrmar - Assembled
Squad Siguror - Assembled
Squad Ásgeirr - Assembled
Squad Ásleif - Assembled
Squad Gunnarr - Part-assembled
Squad Geirmundr - Part-assembled
Living Weapons -Part-Assembled

So, to whet your appetites, here's a shot of Bob, the colour test marine, and the current state of my army. Apologies for the large file sizes - iPhoto on me Mac was meant to have reduced them, but obviously couldn't be bothered to work properly.

heldane
10-08-2006, 08:52
Glad to see that i'm not the only person thats no-where near finished with my carnage force.

Still got a unit of termies, 2 dreads and a librarian to build and paint. :S

Looks like im off to paint some more terminators

cookiescrumble
10-08-2006, 09:19
Yeah, my carnage army is still very much unpainted.

Rich 123
10-08-2006, 09:37
Good luck to you Gen-Ev. And probably, indirectly, I should be wished both Heldane and CookiesCrumble luck too :)

Hey, Im coming to the carnage socail with a brorrowed army - seeing as its pretty touch and go as to whether Ill get my army finished for the carnage tournie next march!

Haha
Rich

McMullet
10-08-2006, 09:46
Speaking of which, I have a few bases to do... :p

I like the colourscheme, Gen_eV, it really fits with your hi-tech theme. And good luck!

Gen_eV
12-08-2006, 02:10
Well, time for the first update. MyBWBits order* came in today, so I've now got all the pieces together to get the models into a paintable state. So, a busy day was had by me. Spent three hours in front of Lost last night scraping purity seals off thirty or so left legs. (NEVER again will I do a renegade force - any more bad guys, they're gonna be chaos all the way.)

Then came the more entertaining bit, construction! I've got all the torsos attached to legs now, and I've divvied up all the heads amongst my men. Seem to be a half-dozen short, so a major rummage through the bits box is in order.

Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have arms on every "standard" marine (still pondering on how to build autocannons and awaiting a delivery of twenty pit slave arms from Mail Order). Obviously there's not much C&C for today, but any encouragement will not go amiss.

PS-what armies are you guys taking to Carnage?

*-yes, I've heard of your business plan cookiescrumble, and am really looking forward to bits orders from a UK supplier - 4-8 days delivery is too long for an impatient bugger like me.

Rich 123
12-08-2006, 11:19
Your paint job should look really striking across all of those marines! I like the black/purple armour sections - maybe if you used slightly wider purple highlights and glazed it with purple I will make those panels look a bit deeper and richer purple. Its something like I was planning for a test as an Emperors Children colour scheme - purple blended with black armour.

All that unpainted plastic - reminds me of my marines! Ive got a project log going on too but Im still yet to paint any of it.

Because of that McMullet has lent me his Crimson Fists for the Social - my deadline for my own force is the Carnage Tournie the beginning of next year. Sam is acting as a judge for the Social so probably wont be playing that much I think.

Your guys look very unmarked by chaos, its interesting to see something a little less chaos for a change :) Do you have any more background worked out for these renegades or just enough to affect the minis?

Keep at it!
Rich

Gen_eV
12-08-2006, 19:27
Yeah, they're the Brotherhood of Vidar, named after the guy who avenged Odin's death during Ragnarok. Hence, the use of the 'wolf and crossbones' logo as their chapter icon (I hate transfers, so needed to find a sculpted alternate, from the Space Wolf sprue). They were rendered excommunicate due to their denial of the machine god, and also for their development of the unorthodox 'living weapons' -failed initiates with brain damage, severaly bionically-enhanced and turned into mindless weapons of destruction, kinda like Arco-flagellants.

This army is set within the first century of their independence, whilst they are still attempting to maintain their honour as Marines, whilst fighting against the Imperium. They've been recruited as part of the assault force by an Alpha legion operative who's promised them supplies etc, which they are currently desperately in need of. I'm thinking of eventually making a 41st-millenium version as well, where they've become a lot more debased and ruthless, and have started to ensnare Daemons for use in their technology etc.

As for the paint, it's not black/purple, just the way my camera picks up midnight blue for some reason. there's gonna be higlighting up to warlock/liche purple on them, possibly blended if I have the time to spare.

monstallion
12-08-2006, 19:50
Gen-ev, good luck with the marines and look forward to seeing them at carnage.

Still working on my Grey Knights, really should not have gone on a holiday in the middle of my painting schedule:rolleyes: oh well some late nites ahead.

Kev

Gen_eV
13-08-2006, 02:15
Yay!
72 hours in, and I've got my first squad assembled. I present to you Squad Asgeirr, one of my two assault units. Well, they're not quite finished, still need to do their Aspiring Champion, but I've got to wait til Monday morning before ordering 36.00-worth of bits for all of my "living weapons." I've almost got a second unit ready, but am utterly sick of cleaning Marine Backpacks for tonight - Those bleedin' curvy exhausts are driving me up the wall.

I'll be spraying these upon the morrow, so we should start seeing some real progress by the end of the weekend. I'm hoping to have enough for a little combat patrol done by Veteran's Night. Any Edinburgh gamers fancy challenging me to a battle, send me a pm. (I could do with the practice. :D)

Great Harlequin
13-08-2006, 13:28
Well, I've had a head-start on you, so if you beat me to complete my army, I'll be pissed. ;)

The race is on!

I love the bolter design, must take a bit of time, but I think the end product's worth it. It definately suits the style of fighting for the Alpha Legion as well. Looking forward to seeing this really get off the ground. Good luck!

I'll be bringing Iron Warriors btw

Gen_eV
14-08-2006, 01:13
Well, delivery of the bolter compontents is gonna be at least a week away, so that's a major source of time taken to construct them. Plus, I don't have a clue how to build the Autocannons in my Havoc squads yet.

Oh, and your army's gonna be so much better looking than mine I doubt it'll be much of an issue if I get them done before you. Just have to remember to get up early enough to spray models whilst it's still light tomorrow, as I work evenings and am a lazy bugger usually. 10pm til 1am is ok for painting, but I can't see for toffee in the ventilated room used for spraying.

edit - Woohoo! It's after midnight! Time to go order obscene-costing bits from GW and spend stupid amounts on next -day delivery! Why I can't just order 'tuesday' delivery on the weekends is beyond me...

Gen_eV
14-08-2006, 20:01
Right, time for another update - I've finished construction work on "The Client" - the AL operative who remained with the Brotherhood to ensure objectives are reached. Rules-wise he's just an Aspiring Champion with Daemonic Aura. (Well, it is a very big shield...)

I'm not sure whether to make two more, and upgrade Squad Styrmar to Chosen, with 3 differently-equipped ACs. Could make for a nice little centrepiece, and I do have a few spare points floating about in the curent version of the list.

cookiescrumble
14-08-2006, 20:04
Only problem i have is the large numbers of bullet holes.

Gen_eV
14-08-2006, 20:12
well, it's only on the one side of him, and I'm aiming for a kind of caricatured, OTT look with him. (And the others, if I can think of ideas for two more CSM). I'm thinking of taking some greenstuff to him, filling in most of the holes. (but leaving them somewhat visible, as if he's actually been repairing his own armour)

McMullet
14-08-2006, 21:01
I think the problem is not the number of holes, but the fact they are regularly spaced. Try to make them look a bit more random, by spacing them more arbitrarily, making them different sizes and so on.

Other than the bullet holes, nice work. Not sure about the empty plate though.

UnRiggable
14-08-2006, 23:53
Yeah, because rapid fire hits targets close together, and nobody shoots while swinging their guns left and right...

Gen_eV
15-08-2006, 00:05
As for the bullet holes, I'm bowing to general opinion (had an individual thread on the main MP&T forum) and fixing some of them. Just got carried away, it was 3am and I wasn't really thinking what I was doing. I'm also not happy with how the shield's turned out looking in the pic, swapping for one with a different profile, wih a 'notch' next to the shoulderpad.

The bullet holes on the armour are nice and random, so I'lll keep 'em. Think the main problem is the photo coupled with the human tendecy to see order where there is none - they look a lot more regular than in real life.

Gen_eV
18-08-2006, 02:43
Well, that's it. All the red is gone from my 'progress report' - everything's now at the part-built stage, with four whole squads ready and waiting to be undercoated. I've also added a new marker to the bottom of the list, as I've decided to class my Aspiring Champions (aka 'Living Weapons') as a separate category, as I am building them independently of their squads.

Speaking of which, here they are. The heads and pads aren't attached, and I need my housemate to find the broken E-string he didn't throw away for my cabling, but the basic gist of what I'm doing should be plain for all to see. I think they look scary enough for five Strength 8 attacks on the charge, don't you?

C&C on these guys would be greatly appreciated.

PS - the four guys with hammers/drills are my ACs, the double pic is a close up of my favourite AC and one of my Lieutenants (Daemonic Strength, Furious Charge, Six S6 I6 power weapon attacks when charging. Lovely, particularly when paired with his identical twin)