PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King questions

Latro
10-08-2006, 09:00
Yesterday I played a few test-battles against Tomb Kings and a few questions came up ... all of them having to do with his 40-strong single rank skeleton archer units ... :eek:

1. When reforming a unit, no model can move more than double it's normal move. How does this work for Tomb King models who only move double when charging ... are they limited to a normal move?

2. The shooting arc is determined for each model, not the unit as a whole ... right? So these huge ranks of archers would have a lot of trouble concentrating fire on units at the edges and units very close to them.

3. How does a reform (unit can't shoot this turn) and the extra actions due to magic effect eachother?

:cool:

Milgram
10-08-2006, 09:21
1. yes, they are. in fact: any other unit is as well, as they can't march when reforming.

2. yes, you're correct.

dividing the shooting is only allowed to shot at 'legal' single models that are to close for the whole unit to be seen by all archers. it may be that you would be allowed to shoot at multiple single models, but definitely not on multiple units.

3. common practice is that you're able to shoot in the magic phase. they may also move again in the magic phase. the rules for it are a bit unclear.

Atrahasis
10-08-2006, 11:49
1. yes, they are. in fact: any other unit is as well, as they can't march when reforming.:confused: Any unit (including TK) can reform as long as no model moves more than twice its basic M rate. This has nothing to do with marching.

dividing the shooting is only allowed to shot at 'legal' single models

No. If the entire unit cannot see a single legal target, then the unit can split fire between those targets it can see.

This is entirely separate from the ability to split fire between single models.

3. common practice is that you're able to shoot in the magic phase. they may also move again in the magic phase. the rules for it are a bit unclear.Here we agree. The rules do not cover this clearly.

StormCrow
10-08-2006, 11:52
:confused: Any unit (including TK) can reform as long as no model moves more than twice its basic M rate. This has nothing to do with marching.

oh man i hope you're right, otherwise my 28 archer unit just got a whole lot less threatening

Can i get someone to second this opinion?! STAT!!

Milgram
10-08-2006, 12:09
humm... the reforming thing I tripped over my own argumentation in another thread. yes, it is correct, as the pg. 47 rule only applies to single characters.

but i'm quite sure about the shooting thingie.

Atrahasis
10-08-2006, 12:21
but i'm quite sure about the shooting thingie.

Read P61 "Dividing Shots" and get back to me :)

Latro
10-08-2006, 12:24
Soooooooo ... if I'm reading this right it's:

1. Tomb King models can move double when reforming ... though this means the 40 wide archer unit can only (roughly) reform to two ranks of 20 models in a single reform. It would take two reforms to get into a "normal" regiment shape (one reform with magic, one in the movement phase?)

2. A shooting unit uses the shooting arc of individual models to see if they can shoot a unit or not ... but the models that can't shoot the target are allowed to take aim at a different target.

3. The rules are unclear when it comes to reform and Tomb King magic, but since we're all nice people we allow them to do it.

... something like that?

:cool:

Atrahasis
10-08-2006, 12:40
As far as 2 goes : Yes as long as there is NO target that all models can shoot. Splitting fire is a last resort.

DeathlessDraich
10-08-2006, 15:10
1) Agreed. The models can move double their normal distance to reform.

However this is not stipulated in the Change Formation rules.
Therefore a single rank of 24 archers can 'Change formation' to 2 ranks (or vice versa) and shoot with a (-1) penalty. The penalty does not apply to TK - a tactic I've used with 10 archers - 2 ranks on a hill moving to level ground into 1 rank.
So your opponent could have changed from a single rank of 40, to 3 ranks and still shoot!

Furthermore, models may end up moving more than double their normal distance.:eek:
This is an oversight, I think, but I can find nothing to contradict it.

2) Agreed. More than 1 target is permitted if not all shots can be concentrated on 1 target.

3) 1 round of shooting effectively. The magical shooting after reforming is disallowed and the normal shooting is allowed because 1 round of shooting has passed.
TK pg 35: "In effect they cannot shoot in this magic phase but will then be able to shoot in the normal Shooting phase"