PDA

View Full Version : Genestealers on UK sneak peek

Shining_Spear
29-03-2005, 18:41
http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/default.htm

Also, apparently there will be no new gargoyles, as on the UK online store all models have been taken off except for warriors, gaunts, and biovores (all confirmed unchanged) and gargoyles.

Wraith
29-03-2005, 18:59
They looks so cool... truely excellent work on GW's part. :cool:

Another example of scything talons replacing the fore limbs rather than than the middle limbs of course... :D

I wish the 'Brood Lord' was as good as these guys - all they needed to do was scale a new plastic stealer up and give it a suitable unique pose but 'no' they sculpt the 'mole-pawed-retarded-'Stealer-from-hell'. :(

boogle
29-03-2005, 20:53
whats with the oddly timed sneak peek releases?, i used to really look forward to a Friday when they were released, but now they just appear at Random

Shining_Spear
29-03-2005, 21:00
Well, today Black Gobbo was up on the US site, so that could have affected it.

EDIT @ Boogle: Maybe Easter Break just ended, and they wanted to put a new sneak peek up?

The Orange
29-03-2005, 21:04
They all look the same to me, is there even a difference from those and the ones in the BFM Box set?
Dont get me wrong, they do look good, but would it have killed them to put in some different poses?

boogle
29-03-2005, 21:05
I meant the UK ones, the were traditionally released on a Friday, whereas The US gets them as and whenever they put something new up on the site

Brimstone
29-03-2005, 21:26
They all look the same to me, is there even a difference from those and the ones in the BFM Box set?

Oh yes unlike the ones in the BFM they are multipart models said to contain up to twelve parts each if you count the optional biomorphs as well.

I believe they legs are probably one piece (with variants) along with the toso and head, it's just how many pieces the arms are in that's the question. Probably one each but I'm hoping it's two.

Dont get me wrong, they do look good, but would it have killed them to put in some different poses?

Well you can to a degree but that's just the way stealers move, it's just a standard pose just like the marine holding a bolter across their chest.

With the options in the box and a cutting blade I'd imagine we'll see some very imaginative broods once they are available.

zealousheretic
29-03-2005, 21:47
I agree that the patriarch...er...broodlord looks kinda silly.

I have high hopes for the new stealers; I'm hoping they're at least somewhat posable. Might even convince me to start using them on the tabletop again.

Shining_Spear
29-03-2005, 22:03
These 'stealers seem a little more stocky than the BfM ones (which appear very spindly to me) , altough they still look light and agile.

The broodlord looked good to me when I first saw it, but now...
It could possibly be saved by tilting the torso forward, and putting the scything talons at the top, to make it look like it's lunging. I don't know.

Oh, yeah, and I made the roundup! :cool:
[/immaturity]

risK
29-03-2005, 23:04
the bunch of miniLictors look cute somehow

Sgt John Keel
29-03-2005, 23:22
the bunch of miniLictors look cute somehow

Chtulhu Genestealers are not cute! And neither are Skaven, but that is another point entirely...

I guess we're struck with the same Rippers, as they won't change the Gaunt and Warrior sprues. They look good in this scheme anyway, I can't understand so many dislike it, I think it's the best so far.

/Adrian

New Cult King
30-03-2005, 00:00
It's interesting that the mini-Lictors (nice name ;)) all have scything talons, while the others with the more 'normal' faces have rending claws...

The back carapace on these ones will be much easier to paint than the old ones.

Thumbs up.

Sgt John Keel
30-03-2005, 00:03
It's interesting that the mini-Lictors (nice name ;)) all have scything talons, while the others with the more 'normal' faces have rending claws...

They probably made one squad with all the upgrades (Feeder Tendrils, Scything Talons, Extended Carapace...) and several without. And besides, it is the hind arms which is the Rending Claws...

/Adrian

Duymon
30-03-2005, 07:05
All i can say is Thank God for all the new options. With all the options now modellable on the Genestealers there's no more of the below :D

"uh..Those last 50 genestealers you killed were just plain ones, these right here are the ones that had the rending claws..yeah!"

risK
30-03-2005, 07:13
I'm wondering what you can build straight out of one box.

-8 ClassicStealers or 8 MiniLics? (enough bits for all variants!)
-4 ClassicStealers and 4 MiniLics? (worst case)
-8 ClassicStealers or turning up to 4 into MiniLics (inbetween)

About cuteness of certain C'tulluh Stealers... just put them next to Papa and tell me that they don't look like MiniLictors :D

Wraith
30-03-2005, 09:21
It's interesting that the mini-Lictors (nice name ) all have scything talons, while the others with the more 'normal' faces have rending claws...

:confused: You can not remove the 'rending claws' from 'Stealers - you can only add scything talons and other biomorphs.

The 'mini-lictors' are armed with rending claws, scything talons, feeder tentacles, and extended carapace.

Other biomorphs for stealers include 'Acid Maw' (re-roll To-Wound, first round only), 'Scuttlers' (gain “Scouts” ability), and only possibly (old rumour) 'Toxic Miasma' (opponents at –1WS).

Eversor
30-03-2005, 11:49
<snippety>And besides, it is the hind arms which is the Rending Claws...

That feels a bit stupid really. It's always been the forward arms that's been the 'stealers main weapon. This might get a bit OT, but I for one will certainly glue the scythes in the rear sockets and keep the tri-claws.

Kill the revisionism I say ;)

Wraith
30-03-2005, 15:12
All the rest of the Nid's rending claws have digits like the middle limbs of the 'Stealers.

This might get a bit OT, but I for one will certainly glue the scythes in the rear sockets and keep the tri-claws.

:eek: Your 'Stealer's will look... 'interesting'...

You could always place the 3 digit claws down to the middle position and have the scything talons as the fore limbs - anything than what you're proposing would look better IMHO.

Eversor
30-03-2005, 15:20
All the rest of the Nid's rending claws have digits like the middle limbs of the 'Stealers.
Yes, I know. But the background for 'stealers say that the tri-claws are the main weapons, the rear hands are for simple manipulation. So again, fight the revisionism ;)

<snip> anything than what you're proposing would look better IMHO.
It works fine with the large scythes on the monstrous creatures. See the Red Terror (http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/miniature-gallery/14/). I've done it with a Carnifex and a Lictor as well. So I think it'll work just fine.

Wraith
30-03-2005, 15:28
Yes, I know. But the background for 'stealers say that the tri-claws are the main weapons, the rear hands are for simple manipulation.

The exact quote is -

Although the characteristic claws of the genestealer are it's primary weapons, certain variations in the xenomorph's form have been reported across the galaxy. Long, stabbing talons occasionally replace the Genestealer's secondary limbs...

What the article defines as 'secondary limbs' is some what dubious... certainly GW disagrees with you going by the latest sneak peak of the constructed Genestealer plastics (sycthing talons in forward position). The Brood Lord however supports your proposal but I'd argue goign by the fluff he's not in fact a 'Stealer nor does he feature either of the 3 or 5 digit claws of a standard stealer - he has 4 digit mole paws... :rolleyes:

It works fine with the large scythes on the monstrous creatures. See the Red Terror. I've done it with a Carnifex and a Lictor as well. So I think it'll work just fine.

Those Tyranids have two sets of scything talons were you not suggesting rending claws on top and scything talons in the middle (this is what I was basing my comments on)?

Another point is all those creatures you've pointed out have a upright stance where as 'Stealers are stooped and crouched even when standing normally.

Eversor
30-03-2005, 15:38
The exact quote is -
<snip quote>
That's the new background. What I'm talking about is the older (real) background ;) Like I said, fight the revisionism. But now I'm just bickering. For a type of organism as mutable as Tyranids I'm arguing a moot point.

Those Tyranids have two sets of scything talons were you not suggesting rending claws on top and scything talons in the middle (this is what I was basing my comments on)?
Aye, the balance might be disturbed somewhat by the different looks of the arms. I'm just throwing ideas around, and it's good to have someone to bounce them on ;)

Another point is all those creatures you've pointed out have a upright stance where as 'Stealers are stooped and crouched even when standing normally.
True, I hadn't concidered that. I'll have to play around with the Macragge 'stealers a bit... Might result in photos ;)

Boduddley
31-03-2005, 00:08
:(

The new models look OK, but the paint scheme really SUCKS IMO.

Are they suppose to be scary ghosts?

:eek:
:confused:

There has to be better inspiration regarding painting the new Tyranids.
:rolleyes:

Shining_Spear
31-03-2005, 02:25
Well, what's wrong with scary looking ghosts? ;)

I still think the scheme gives a unique and good look to the new nids, especially their flesh. I still don't like the wierd greyish color on the 3rd edition and the Conflict Montreal nids. It just doesn't look like (live) flesh to me. Kinda like the new OK scheme that people were complaining about.

*Runs away and hides*

Boduddley
01-04-2005, 22:54
:)

The new genestealers look cool!

:p
The colour scheme sucks IMO!

Are they suppose to be bone skeletons?