PDA

View Full Version : need ideas for banners

heretics bane
10-08-2006, 18:26
hi,i have a dwarf armie and im looking for what trophes/writing i could put on my standards,i have seen it down with beastmen ones but how could i make one to indimadate the wood elves

Finnblood
10-08-2006, 18:31
well, put a head of an elf on the top. And maybe get one of those flayed-skin flags and write something on it with blood.

arxhon
10-08-2006, 18:35
Wood elves, eh?

Just a random idea, probably not particularly good.
Maybe put lots of dead animals or animal skins hanging off the bannders as decoration. The elf head is another good one. The banner painting could be a burning forest.

Mephistofeles
10-08-2006, 19:44
Yeah, a burning forest is damn good for getting those elfies pissed of, and the elf-head is nice too. I wouldn't use the writing in blood though, it doesn't seem so Dwarfish...

Maybe make the whole banner out of a Dryad? Like a peeled of and charred Dryad Carcass?

Stahlgeist
10-08-2006, 19:48
How about a banner consisting of linked metal plates, or even chainmail? Designs could be embossed on (the former) or woven on (the latter). Dwarves are strong enough to carry a heavy banner like that, and they jus' loves their metal bits.

Plus some dangling elf heads, I like that idea!

DeathMasterSnikch
10-08-2006, 19:52
Yeah, a burning forest is damn good for getting those elfies pissed of, and the elf-head is nice too. I wouldn't use the writing in blood though, it doesn't seem so Dwarfish...

Maybe make the whole banner out of a Dryad? Like a peeled of and charred Dryad Carcass?

They write in the book of grudges in blood...Although I agree it's a bit too chaos for dwarves. Dead tree/dryad sounds nice.

well, put a head of an elf on the top. And maybe get one of those flayed-skin flags and write something on it with blood.

Flayed skin sounds sooo un dwarven. Head of an elf could be hard to do. Unless done from greenstuff the faces don't look quite dead usualy.

How about a banner consisting of linked metal plates, or even chainmail? Designs could be embossed on (the former) or woven on (the latter). Dwarves are strong enough to carry a heavy banner like that, and they jus' loves their metal bits.

I like the idea of metal banners :)

heretics bane
10-08-2006, 19:53
i was thinking of writing in the dwarfen tongue "strong dwarf,weak elf" and have the anthel loren logo in a red circle with a red bar going threw it or a elf captive chained/screwed on top of the banner, like the blacks orcs banner has a dwarf on it

TheWarSmith
10-08-2006, 20:08
You could get the old beastmen champion, who came with a back banner of a flayed human. It could represent an elf quite well.

Or, going along a humorous line, put an arrow on the banner and draw an X through it.

DeathMasterSnikch
10-08-2006, 20:21
You could get the old beastmen champion, who came with a back banner of a flayed human. It could represent an elf quite well.

Or, going along a humorous line, put an arrow on the banner and draw an X through it.

*Crosses arrow out and puts pink and cyan flower*

I still think a flayed elf is a bit harsh, dwarves hate elves but they arn't animals...

Mephistofeles
10-08-2006, 20:30
I'm really not a fan of those "funny" banners or models, it's to me a gothic/darkish game with monsters and murderes slaughtering eachother mostly for fun. I don't think cartoony things fit in at all, but thats anybodys choice I guess.

heretics bane
10-08-2006, 20:33
id love to do a war dancer bing dragged off in a bag

TheWarSmith
10-08-2006, 20:54
You could buy one of those prancing wardancers and hang him from a pole kinda like you used to play hangman w/.

Stahlgeist
10-08-2006, 22:12
How about a banner consisting of linked metal plates, or even chainmail? Designs could be embossed on (the former)

Sort of like this? It's kinda crappy, but it gets the general idea across...

Rhianedd
11-08-2006, 02:48
actually a banner made of shields could be very cool indeed. Fire would be their enemy; a picture of trees and dryads on fire would be good; body parts no. Picture of a broken wardancers sword below a dwarf hammer would be good too.

Highborn
11-08-2006, 06:32
Anything fiery would be good - a burning furnace, things like that. Use hard, square edges with dwarven rune printing as elves tend to be more of a curving, flowing edge. Crossed axes - hammers have never hurt trees as much as axes have. Brick and stone, as industry is the archnemesis of the elves. Metal banners as well would be interesting, and very dwarfy.

snurl
11-08-2006, 06:40
Yes, a metal banner with a chainmail - woven graphic of a burning tree should do it.
Wait until you actually beat the elves before adding any heads to it.

Maybe an old fashioned 2 man crosscut saw would fit into the design?

Stahlgeist
11-08-2006, 17:30
A metal banner could also be used as a weapon and as a form of protection from missile weapons...

Forgotmytea
11-08-2006, 20:28
Head of an elf could be hard to do. Unless done from greenstuff the faces don't look quite dead usualy.

There's always the zombie elf from Mordheim, or the Standard bearer of the Cursed Company. Their heads would make pretty good decapitated elves :)

-Forgotmytea

arxhon
11-08-2006, 21:27
Yes, a metal banner with a chainmail - woven graphic of a burning tree should do it.

Brilliant!:cool:

Voltaire
11-08-2006, 22:06
A single banner pole with an elven head and a troll head and some orc heads. Its very dwarven in my opinion.

DeathMasterSnikch
11-08-2006, 22:49
What is it with people and heads...Dwarves are turning into savages!

Metal plate banner sounds like a sweet idea to me.

Stahlgeist
11-08-2006, 23:06
What is it with people and heads...Dwarves are turning into savages!

Metal plate banner sounds like a sweet idea to me.

Sounds like a concesus is forming! How do we get GW to add it to the rules?

gcrutch
13-08-2006, 16:34
Check out historical Celtic designs for examples of Dwarf banner icons - that may inspire you.

Crassus
15-08-2006, 10:26
have the banner head as an axe head then hang broken swords, shields and bows from either end then for the actual banner,have a burning tree in the plastic banner you get from a dwarf warriors box set. this makes look cool and doesn't make the dwarfs like savages:)

(i think i may do that idea for my own banner)