PDA

View Full Version : help me pick my fantasy army!!!

TanithScout
11-08-2006, 03:29
hey folks,
im not sure if im the only person afflicted by this, but i got something akin to fantasy ADD. i simply cannot decide on an army. im not sure if it is just that i havnt played the game enough to be able to pick an army, or what. so i ask you, can someone point me in the right direction? i got a bit of criteria though.

my criteria:

modelling and painting:

i want an army that has a good percent of plastic models. lets face it, metal is way to expensive.

i want an army that has great conversion opportunity, i also want an army that can have enough variation so that i can put my own spin ont he army. i want to slap down an army that i will not see ont he next table over.
(im an able converter too)

i know fantasy is about big blocks of troops, but i need an army that at least has enough variation that i will be able to look forward to painting something different from unit to unit. i.e., i cant play dwarves. because i simply get tired of the beards and the armor, and that is essentially every unit. i hope someone understands what im saying. like i play tau and chaos in 40k, each of those armies i can switch between units to paint, if i tire of painting marines or fire warriors, i can switch to daemons or kroot

gaming:

i havnt played enough games to know which i will like better, shooting or combat heavy armies.

i think id like a little bit of both. with chaos in 40k, i know i love to be able to head long charge into the enemy, yet if i tire of that, i can sit back and pelt him with a bit of bolter fire

i want an army that is capable of having big blocks of troops, but doesnt need them as a necessity for smaller games. like if i play a 1500 point game, i dont want to have to use a unit that is only affective if i have 80 models in it

General:
above all, i want an army that is fun. i dont care about battle field affectiveness, i want a fun army, even if it isnt forgiving, and an army that i can vary my tactics with. i dont want to have to beat the same bush every game

any ideas what army this is?!?! anyone care to help me?

Highborn
11-08-2006, 04:29
My Wood Elves uses / will use:

CORE
Plastic Glade Guard
Plastic Scouts (Glade Guard conversions)
Plastic Dryads
Plastic Glade Riders
Plastic Eternal Guard (Glade Guard conversions)

SPECIAL
Metal Wardancers
Plastic Wild Riders (Glade Rider Conversions)
Metal Treekin (none yet; Dryads with hefty amounts of GS?)
Metal Warhawk Riders

RARE
Plastic Waywatchers (Glade Guard conversions)
Metal Treeman

Plenty of variety, you can go for a shooty army with Glade Guard/Riders and supported by scouts, waywatchers and warhawks and finishing with combined charges from small, elite melee units or you can go for a hard-hitting elite melee force. Most units are best taken close to or at their minimum unit sizes. Your only real option with big blocks is Eternal Guard. They're definitely not a necessity.

The reason I'm using so many plastics is a- I'm cheap and b- theme. My army's the force of a Riftsword, an embittered Lord who has been in the Kindred of Vengeance for too long hunting Cyanathir. The entire force will be painted in dark greens, muddy browns and blacks, and I plan on having every elf hooded and cloaked. Just to prove there's a dark side to woodies, and that you can do more with them than Forest Spirits / Winter themes.

TanithScout
11-08-2006, 04:43
thanks for the reply!

ive been considering wood elves for a while, i love the forest themes, and their plastics. plus i already have a unit of dryads

how mobile is the army? i forgot to include that in the post, i dont want a static army

DeathMasterSnikch
11-08-2006, 05:02
Very mobile if chosen properly. Some people go for the 'Many archers that pelt the enemy from the other side of the board' Tactic, others use a mix between treemen, dryads, wardancers etc to quickly engage in melee while using other units to provide support fire.

Woodelves sounds like the right army for you.

Highborn
11-08-2006, 05:20
A lot less mobile in 7th ed with Skirmishers being march blockable, but still one of the most maneuvrable armies out there. Five skirmishing choices (Wardancers, Dryads, Scouts, Waywatchers, Warhawk Riders) and two fast cav choices (Glade Riders, Wild Riders) is always a good thing.

gorenut
11-08-2006, 07:31
You might also consider Lizardmen. There are lots of variations between each units. You can even choose to paint everything to look different, seeing how they're all creatures. It's a very flexible list that can do with all blocks or all skirmishers. You can choose to be numerous, or elite few. With some imagination, you can easily make conversions.

Neknoh
11-08-2006, 07:57
Clearly Chaos Nurgle, you can build an infantry force entirely out of plastics (and you can convert the Ogre Kingdom Ogres into Chaos Ogres/Minotaurs), you can have a plastic Giant.

Everything that is metall in such an army would be a unit of Knights, a unit of Marauder Horsemen and about 50% of each character (I believe you want to convert them as well).

Nurgle has THE most conversion possibillities of all the four gods, you can make for a skinny and sickly looking army, bloated abominations and everything in between.
The most aestathecally appeal of all the Four Gods

chivalrous
11-08-2006, 11:38
The Empire has a great variety of plastic units, with state troops, free company, 4 different types of knight, cannons and mortars and bretonnian archers can mix in quite well as huntsmen.
They are pretty much the all rounders of the warhammer world, able to field an army to whatever tactic you want to employ. you also get the whole range of dogs of war and regiments of renown to choose from if you want to add a little bit more variety.

If you don't mind taking Chaos again, that can be a pretty easy army to collect and paint up.
You have a good range of plastics from both the Mortals and Beasts range and if you take an undivided army, units with different marks can be entirely unique within your force. There's also the opportunity to use some of the bits left over from your 40K army

Nurgle has THE most conversion possibillities of all the four gods, you can make for a skinny and sickly looking army, bloated abominations and everything in between.
The most aestathecally appeal of all the Four Gods

Why restrict yourself to just one god though? with Undivided, you can go off in 4 different directions for 4 different units.
Khorne can be violent and bestial, Nurgle as you;'ve described, Tzeentch warriors in a fluid state of transition melting from one form to another (I'd argue that there are many more conversion opportunities for Tzeentch), For Slaanesh, you've got decadence and the 7 deadly sins to base your conversions on.

TanithScout
11-08-2006, 16:12
hey guys, thanks for all the replies. this is a big help, you definatly got me thinking on what army to choose.

@neknoh: ive been considering chaos for quite some time, i love their models. id probably play tzeentch as i played nurgle in 40k. my only trepedation about fantasy chaos is that i played it in 40k too, it might get slightly 'rehashed' with two armies, but im definatly going to keep considering them.

@gorenut: the lizardmen do look awsome! i neve even considered them before haha!

@chivalrous: the empire do look cool, but i think i would tire of painting them simply because they dont look that 'exciting' to me, i guess is how i should put it.

i talked to my friend yesterday about my issue here, and he recommended me with orcs and goblins? would this fit my criteria, their models are pretty cool.

thanks for all the help guys!!!

DragonPup
11-08-2006, 17:54
i talked to my friend yesterday about my issue here, and he recommended me with orcs and goblins? would this fit my criteria, their models are pretty cool.

Don't forget the Orcs get their new army book in Orktober. :)

The Empire is getting there new book soon after, too(End of the year, beginning of next).

TheWarSmith
11-08-2006, 18:00
Do orks have Orktoberfest?

Skinner: Ha! There's no such thing as Scotchtoberfest!
Groundskeeper Willie: There isn't? Ya used me Skinner!! Ya USED ME!!!

Voltaire
11-08-2006, 19:10
Skaven have a lot of plastics and you can have a lot for a minimum price IMO!

TanithScout
11-08-2006, 19:14
@voltaire: my only qualm with skaven, is that wont i need a huge amount of models for higher points games?

arxhon
11-08-2006, 20:22
Tanithscout: Yeah, Skaven is about the hordiest army there is, matched only by a heavily Goblin based force.

TanithScout
11-08-2006, 20:43
@arxhon: thats what i thought, p.s. nice icon, looks likeone of my tarantulas : )

well folks, thanks to some of your directions youve pointed me in, ive found 3 armies that im not stuck inbetween

lizardmen
wood elves
orcs

model and painting wise,each seem to fit my booklet. though orcs and lizardmen seem to have some large blocks of troops, but the prospect of painting green skins sounds fun, and at the same time, the prospect of being able to paint the colors of my favorite reptiles on models sounds even more enticing. plus lizardmen can be painted any color i feel like. at the same time, wood elves autumn theme is just so striking to me, my favorite season made manifest in my minis

game wise ive only played about 5 fantasy games ever ( 2 with ogres, 1 with chaos, 1 with high elves) so im not sure game wise how each will play

what do you guys think, which one looks like itll fit the book, or did i miss one entirely?

DeathMasterSnikch
11-08-2006, 21:47
game wise ive only played about 5 fantasy games ever ( 2 with ogres, 1 with chaos, 1 with high elves) so im not sure game wise how each will play

:wtf:

Can't go wrong with greenskins.

gorenut
11-08-2006, 22:07
I say go with Lizardmen. They have no single playstyle simply because they are one of the most versatile armies out there. You can have heavy HtH or extremely shooty. Plus you can have fun by painting each squad like different kinds of lizards to represent different spawnings. I think as a first army, many would get frustrated with how unpredictable Orcs can be, especially with animosity. Lizardmen are just about one of the most dependable armies out there with their "cold-blooded" rule.

Ofcourse this is my unbiased suggestion. I don't play any of the armies and if I were to pick an army, I'd probably go Orcs, but from the things you've said, I think Lizardmen fit the bill.

Sleby
11-08-2006, 22:13
Well if you go with Orcs make sure you wait for the new models! :)

TheWarSmith
12-08-2006, 02:42
lizardmen aren't NEARLY as fun/cool to paint as they look from afar. If you want to do a really good job, it's just *******' annoying w/ the cracks and scales.

Greenies can be painted easily and still look good. Or they can be painted meticulously and look awesome.

The greenskins will be all over the place in the next few months w/ their new book coming out, but they'll be pretty cheap being almost all plastics.

EDIT::HOLY CRAP!!! I've been posting a stupid amount of posts being bored at work while i'm stuck on an analysis problem in excel. Sorry if this has been annoying.

heretics bane
12-08-2006, 10:03
dwarfs!!!!!you can chrage in there and survive and sit back and blow holes in the enemy with your thunderers

lorelorn
12-08-2006, 10:17
I'd say go with the Lizardmen. The true-to-life lizard skin tones sound interesting, and you can still give their bases an autumn feel ;)

BlazeXI
12-08-2006, 10:49
Don't forget the Orcs get their new army book in Orktober. :)

Best Warhammer related word play I have heard:D.

For the best model variety you might consider chaos. But if you want lost of plastics painted differently every time and a mobile army take a look at Brettonia.

75hastings69
12-08-2006, 12:21
I would say either Brettonians, or if you want plenty of plastics and loads of converting opportunities you could even go for OK!!!! (You can make practically everthing (almost) in the army using plastics!!).

Steve

Crassus
13-08-2006, 13:22
DWARFS!

I just started and they are amazing (I bought the last dwarf army box in UK:D )

When i've finished buying my army it will have

CORE

Dwarf warriors x2 with shields and hand weapons
Dwarf warriors with great weapons
Thunderers
Longbeards
Quarreller rangers

LORDS

Dwarf lord on shield
Daemon slayer
Rune lord with anvil

HEROES

Master engineer
Rune smith

Special

Miners
Cannonx2
Iron Breakers
Slayers 15 models
Slayers 20 models

RARE

Gyrocopterx2
Organ gun

bengalsfan
13-08-2006, 15:30
If you want to have fun painting and have a pretty cheap army go with lizzardmen