PDA

View Full Version : SPECULATION: Long-term fix for "elite infantry"

Avian
11-08-2006, 15:41
Greetings,

It seems that in the latest army books, including the upcoming Orc & Goblin one, the following trends can be spotted:

- Really cheap infantry get more expensive in exchange for very little benefit
Your cheapest goblin will now be 3 pts, rather than 2.

- Elite infantry get cheaper or better (or both)
Dwarf Hammerers getting cheaper and always stubborn, for example.

- Cavalry is getting more expensive
Orc Boar Boyz up to 22 pts, for example. Glade Riders up to 24 pts.

I predict that this is the designers' (very, very) long term plan for balancing the different unit types, not linked to the rulebook rewrite at all.

What do you think?

Lardidar
11-08-2006, 15:45
I agree, it also seems a decent way to do it.

DeathMasterSnikch
11-08-2006, 16:05
Yep. By making rank and file more expensive Elites won't look as much of a point sink. Good way to go about things if it works in the long run.

Mephistofeles
11-08-2006, 16:14
Perhaps that is true. What will then happen to for example the Empire Knights, who are allready now really pricey? Are they going to pass above 30 points a piece you recon?

arxhon
11-08-2006, 16:15
Greetings,

I predict that this is the designers' (very, very) long term plan for balancing the different unit types, not linked to the rulebook rewrite at all.

What do you think?

I think it's too early to tell, personally. Whenever they get around to releasing the next books after Orcs we might se the start of a trend.

I also think that if this is how they're going to fix certain things, that would be awesome. The vast majority of the core rules are fairly robust at this stage, it's fiddly tweaks to the individual lists that will finally gt the game to the point of totally sweet. It's pretty common knowledge that certain lists are very abusable (Skaven seems to be the most egregrious example).

Avian
11-08-2006, 16:33
Perhaps that is true. What will then happen to for example the Empire Knights, who are allready now really pricey? Are they going to pass above 30 points a piece you recon?
I would think that if there is a trend, and it's a bit early to say for sure, then the Empire knights will get a cost increase of somewhere in the region of 5 pts.

Metafizikal
11-08-2006, 16:43
boar boys are really going up four points? ugh, theyre not really useful as they are...

Stouty
11-08-2006, 17:11
Did I not read here somewhere that they're getting the option of heavy armour though?

Avian
11-08-2006, 17:34
That would be very odd, normal orcs have not been able to take heavy armour for the last three editions (at least).

TheWarSmith
11-08-2006, 17:38
Are black orc boar boys out of the question?

Avian
11-08-2006, 17:42
I think we would have heard about them by now if they were in the book, considering that seemingly everyone who has got a glance at the army book has checked out Black Orcs first and foremost.

ebolatheripe
11-08-2006, 18:10
Greetings,

It seems that in the latest army books, including the upcoming Orc & Goblin one, the following trends can be spotted:

- Really cheap infantry get more expensive in exchange for very little benefit
Your cheapest goblin will now be 3 pts, rather than 2.

- Elite infantry get cheaper or better (or both)
Dwarf Hammerers getting cheaper and always stubborn, for example.

- Cavalry is getting more expensive
Orc Boar Boyz up to 22 pts, for example. Glade Riders up to 24 pts.

What do you think?

Sounds like a better option to fix the army books and leave the core rules as is (in 7th edition). The only thing is changing the prices of cheap and elite alike may drastically alter the preferred composition of most armies. Meaning when your armies book comes out you may need to buy a lot of new minis. I hope it's just balancing so that you won't have to change your armies composition to stay competitive.

fmatgnat
11-08-2006, 18:21
I think this approach sounds like a reasonable way to fix elite foot troops. Like arxhon said, just little tweaks are needed at this point.

Also, as has been mentioned in the thread below: it seems to me (and plenty of others) that increasing unit-width to 5 for rank bonuses is helpful to elite troopers, as it means more models will be fighting, which means more kills for the elites. Whereas you could previously field a mass of gobbo spears 4-wide for maximum rank bonus with minimum return attacks, now that mass will be opened up to 1-2 additional fighting models.

Commissar von Toussaint
12-08-2006, 00:34
It all comes down to the point values.

If these are improved and better represent actual combat ability, none of the other rules changes are necessary. 4-man front, 5-man front, 10-man front, it really doesn't matter.

And if the points are jacked, everything else falls apart.