PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Dire Avengers?

Dooks Dizzo
11-08-2006, 18:26
Now, let me first qualify this thread by stating that I do not want it to turn into a, 'GW's prices are too high!' thread. We all know the hobby is expensive, we also know that GW's marketing strategy is alienating a lot of us without disposable income. However that's not what we're here to discuss.

What I would like to do is toss around idea's for ways to convert Eldar Guardian models into Dire Avengers.

With the new codex coming out DA's are getting a nice boost and are going to fit rather well into a lot of army lists that will be developing in coming months. I know that I am definitely including atleast 2 squads, maybe more.

Basically what I am looking at is that DA's come 8 to a box for $30 USD, and Guardians come 16 for $35. Looking between the two I have noticed the only signifigant differance is the Dire Avengers have a different head.

So, it would seem that getting a box of 16 guardians and converting their heads to be Avengers would be a rather cost effective way of fielding 24 or so Dire Avengers.

I've looked online and found metal DA heads for $1.25 each. If I went that route I could actually save $5 per 16 Dire Avengers. But that just doesn't seem to be enough for me.

Does anyone have any helpful tips or idea's for the best ways to make Guardians into Avengers?

Inq. Veltane
11-08-2006, 18:35
How about waiting for the new Dire Avengers which are, I believe, not metal-plastic hybrids and so will be better value (and are better looking) than the current DAs.

Dooks Dizzo
11-08-2006, 18:37
Hmm, didin't know we were getting new DA models.

Still though, with the new rule sets one could feasibly want to field 40 or so of them. That's a lot of guys to buy 8 at a time...

shutupSHUTUP!!!
11-08-2006, 18:40
The only thing that ever really distinguished a dire avenger from a guardian was the ability enhancing mohawk and armour boosting loincloth. Looks like a green stuff job.

ionfish
11-08-2006, 18:44
The new boxed sets will have 10 (plastic) Dire Avengers in, including the parts to make all the new Exarch weapon configurations.

Dooks Dizzo
11-08-2006, 18:46
The Exarch with Akimo .45's...er um Shuriken Cats is enough to pick up one box atleast. Wonder if you can get his sprue separately?

luchog
11-08-2006, 19:05
The only thing that ever really distinguished a dire avenger from a guardian was the ability enhancing mohawk and armour boosting loincloth. Looks like a green stuff job.

I've always hated that stupid-looking Roman crest on their helmets; so I'm probably just going to settle for trying to convince my opponent that "yes, these are Dire Avengers, not Guardians, I don't play Guardians in this army". Maybe I'll glue little banners to them or something.

Dooks Dizzo
11-08-2006, 20:12
Hey you can also say, "These HAVE to be Dire Avengers since they don't have a support platform with them, right?"

sulla
11-08-2006, 20:41
I've always hated that stupid-looking Roman crest on their helmets; so I'm probably just going to settle for trying to convince my opponent that "yes, these are Dire Avengers, not Guardians, I don't play Guardians in this army". Maybe I'll glue little banners to them or something.

Well, a converted exarch should go a long way to convincing your opponent, but what about adding grren stuff tabards and back banners like the originals wore?

Cyboss GrimTeef
11-08-2006, 20:52
Also, depending on how you paint your craftworld color scheme and how you paint Dire Avengers, that may be one big simple way to differentiate.

Or you could ebay the old school metal Avengers. They're not that expensive for a squad of 10.

Dat Wildboy
11-08-2006, 20:56
i tried using dark eldar heads with the crests on them. they look suitably crested and special, but not spartan. if you collect dark eldar too, its just a head swap. if you don't collect them, give them guardian heads and make them count as guardians1 two units for the price of... two. well, the dire avengers are cheaper like you asked. for the exarch i don't know. just give him a catapult and he'll look fine.

Venkh
11-08-2006, 21:09
Why dont you do Ulthwe and use Dire Avenger rules for your black guardians? Probably the easiste thing you could do.

Dooks Dizzo
12-08-2006, 16:04
Ulthwe are going away in the new codex.

ryan3740
17-08-2006, 21:29
I too am planning on converting some unmade guardians to dire avengers. I plan on painting the guardians blue, like avengers and unlike all the other guardians in my army. I'm also trying to find something that will work for a scope on their shriken catapult. I think something from the current guardian sprue will work. For the exarch, I'm using the current exarch's pistol and sword arm. Now I just have to see what other options will be available in the new codex.

Deadite
17-08-2006, 21:35
Ulthwe are going away in the new codex.

No they're not... let's not start this fight again.
Black Guardians however....

Metafizikal
18-08-2006, 05:11
Dire avengers are the new black guardians :D