PDA

View Full Version : Is Movement completely simultaneous?

DeathlessDraich
11-08-2006, 17:40
The scenario: X,Y and P are in the same army. P=Pistoliers. O = Ogre Bulls
S = Impenetrable terrain
The gap between X and Y is only just too small for the
Pistolilers to pass through and the same as the gap between Y
and the scenery.

.........................................O
.........................................O
......................................SSSS
..................XXXXX YYYY SSSS
..................XXXXX PPPPP
..................XXXXX

Instead of moving X first and then Y and then P, the player move X and Y slightly to create a bigger gap and then moved the Pistoliers through the gap (between Y and the scenery) to the Ogres' flank and then moved X and Y slightly forward. X now has LOS of the Ogres. Y does not but the gap between X and Y is now restored to the original very small gap.

The diagram is not perfectly clear but the 'manoeuvre' would not have been possible by moving each unit completely and in turn.

The question is: Is it possible to make multiple small moves with different units until the total movement allowance is used up?

I could not find anything in the rule book to allow or disallow this.

wingedserpant
11-08-2006, 18:17
I would allow it unless the units you moved out of the way to allow another through were moved back to their oringinal position and claimed to have remained still therefore allowing them to move their full movement in another way. Grrrrrr, just like that kid I played a fortnight ago. Your way I would have no problem as long as you count the distance moved out of the way towards your total movement allowance.

Although I must comment that you really should not get yourself into that situation and make sure when you finish your movement phase you check no movement is blocked by other units.

My two cents

Wingedserpant

TheWarSmith
11-08-2006, 18:53
That'd be cool in a friendly game, but in a competition I'd say a unit moves once personally.

McMullet
11-08-2006, 21:32
There's nowt in the BRB that says you can only move a unit once. It's something I'd taken as a given up to now to be honest.

If someone did it it seems they wouldn't be breaking the rules (though Festus, T10 or MageIth will turn up with a page reference now, in all likelihood :p).

Cpt. Drill
11-08-2006, 21:54
No it is legal to move units in random orders... but it is frowned apon due to them moving too far or the like.... I would suggest against it. Situations that require this kind of play are noramlly avoidable!

Crazy Harborc
12-08-2006, 01:13
I can't recall any opponent trying to do it. As far as I know you move the unit it's total(for that turn) move then go onto another unit. The player who's turn it is decides the order in which they move their units. UNLESS some of the units have compulsory movement to do every or that turn.

mageith
12-08-2006, 02:27
There's nowt in the BRB that says you can only move a unit once. It's something I'd taken as a given up to now to be honest.

If someone did it it seems they wouldn't be breaking the rules (though Festus, T10 or MageIth will turn up with a page reference now, in all likelihood :p).
Not me.

We follow this rule "...it is good practice to agree what you are doing with your opponent before moving troops." (47)

We've allowed players to move a unit then move another then finish the movement of the first. We usually like him to tell us that's what he's doing though. Such as "I've still go two inches left on these halberdiers, OK."

Festus
12-08-2006, 09:26
Hi

We follow this rule "...it is good practice to agree what you are doing with your opponent before moving troops." (47)

We've allowed players to move a unit then move another then finish the movement of the first. We usually like him to tell us that's what he's doing though. Such as "I've still go two inches left on these halberdiers, OK."
Sounds like a fine way of doing things to me.

Greetings
Festus

Tarax
12-08-2006, 15:29
That'd be cool in a friendly game, but in a competition I'd say a unit moves once personally.

It's nice to have a rule like: "You have to finish the actions of one unit before moving to another."

Thus preventing one unit moving a bit, then another unit, and then the first one again, back to its original position!!!

Or: I shoot first with these 5 archers, then my cannon, then the other 5 archers of the same unit. :rolleyes: :)

Atrahasis
12-08-2006, 15:47
Thus preventing one unit moving a bit, then another unit, and then the first one again, back to its original position!!!What's wrong with that? Seems like its something that would happen realistically.

Mad Makz
14-08-2006, 04:06
Yep, the first unit moves forward, the second unit moves past them, the first unit moves backwards makes a lot of sense in a 'real world' sense. That's what soldiers drill for.

chivalrous
14-08-2006, 09:48
Thus preventing one unit moving a bit, then another unit, and then the first one again, back to its original position!!!

I don't see why not, but they wouldn't be able to move very far with all the turning they'd be doing.
move forward 1/4 M, turn (1/4 M), move back 1/4M, turn to face front (1/4M)

DeathlessDraich
14-08-2006, 12:34
Thanks for the replies.
I tend to agree with those who regard 'multiple movements' as more realistic and acceptable.

Tarax
20-08-2006, 09:42
Thanks for the replies.
I tend to agree with those who regard 'multiple movements' as more realistic and acceptable.

More realistic? Unacceptable, more like!

Just let me see: How long does a turn last in the game? 1 minute? 15 minutes? An hour?
Next: Does every regimental commander (leader of a unit) know what all other commanders are planning to do? ("That unit is moving this way. Should we move forwards or backwards to let them passed? And after they've passed, we'll just move right back. OK?")
Finally: Battles are not the clean and clear situations we have on our tabletops. There is dust, screaming, confusion, etc.

No, for me you have to finish the actions of one unit before moving on to the next.

Gorbad Ironclaw
20-08-2006, 11:24
Just let me see: How long does a turn last in the game? 1 minute? 15 minutes? An hour?

That would depend on what turn it is, where on the table it is, whats going on etc.

In short, it's not a set amount of time, and is variable depending on when and where and how.

DeathlessDraich
20-08-2006, 12:28
More realistic? Unacceptable, more like!

No, for me you have to finish the actions of one unit before moving on to the next.

And why would this be more realistic?
A turn based game can never successfully duplicate reality but I think it's important not to abandon realism altogether.

Crazy Harborc
21-08-2006, 02:30
IMHO, let's just say.....moving two (or more) units a little bit at a time, going back and forth from unit to unit.........Um, I don't think soooooo. Why put the temptation to "fudge a little"?

Haven't seen that kind of moving in a WHFB game around here. Far as I know, whether it's written down or not.... you move a unit then move another, each one completely. No bouncing back and forth.