PDA

View Full Version : The plastics that never came, the failed rumours

Neknoh
19-06-2005, 23:19
Well...

I for one know of two things that was quite strong rumours but never turned true.

1. A sprue with mutations and different heads, weapons and other stuff for each of the Dark Fours warriors.
Sprews for hallberds and Greatweapons as well.

2. A plastic Giant that would have enough bits to be turned into a Slave Giant, an Orcs 'n' Gobblins Giant and/or a Chaos Giant with or without Mutant Monstrosity.

I know that rumour number two might still be valid as I have some memory of it being said that it would come 2006 or something like that, the Chaos Warrior sprews however, my hopes are dead.

So, are there any rumours that turned out sour for you, that you have been waiting for and never gotten? That just have gone and died without noone finding confirmation of the rumour?

Write it here and tell uss what you feal

Avian
19-06-2005, 23:41
I for one know of two things that was quite strong rumours but never turned true.
You mean: Hasn't turned true yet :eyebrows:

Dargon
20-06-2005, 01:27
1. A sprue with mutations and different heads, weapons and other stuff for each of the Dark Fours warriors.
Sprews for hallberds and Greatweapons as well.As Avain said... "hasn't turned true yet".

The mutations sprues and the Halberd/Great Weapon sprues were never rumours. These are official GW plans revealed by Gav for the future of the Chaos range - the only part that has ever been rumour was any potential release date, which has always been wild speculation by us, the gamers.

The biggest rumour I recal recently that failed to come true was the rumour of new plastic Clanrats for Skaven - I assume the originators of this rumour mistook the new Plague Monks for Clanrats (which, looking at the models, is an easy assumption to make).

Just a thought...

skavenguy13
20-06-2005, 02:10
The biggest rumour I recal recently that failed to come true was the rumour of new plastic Clanrats for Skaven - I assume the originators of this rumour mistook the new Plague Monks for Clanrats (which, looking at the models, is an easy assumption to make).

Someone might have taken his dreams for reality :rolleyes: :(
WHY DIDN'T THEY DO IT :confused: :cries:

Evisss
20-06-2005, 10:58
I think we still have to wait a couple of years.

The plastic giant should be a great hit because it is used in 3 different armies and would be handy releasing it. As for the chaos warriors there are still hopes for them as there might be a warhammer realms book later on though we have to wait for them maybe 2 -3 years

Nazguire
20-06-2005, 11:29
I can't really see them releasing those mutation sprues any time soon. Not before, they redo Chaos or release something worthwhile enough for them. :D

portentjunkie
20-06-2005, 11:35
I can't really see them releasing those mutation sprues any time soon. Not before, they redo Chaos or release something worthwhile enough for them. :D

Yep, and there lies your answer for the giant as well, expect it to be released alongside the first rerelease of an army that includes a giant under 7th edition.

Nazguire
20-06-2005, 11:38
Yep, and there lies your answer for the giant as well, expect it to be released alongside the first rerelease of an army that includes a giant under 7th edition.

Being Orcs almost certainly...

Sigh...I can only wait...

Lady's Champion
20-06-2005, 12:10
woo orcs!

sorry over excited

anyway, yea, I think they will release at a time when the most profit can be made- why else would they bother?

Nazguire
20-06-2005, 12:13
woo orcs!

sorry over excited

anyway, yea, I think they will release at a time when the most profit can be made- why else would they bother?

To appeal to the fan's demands! Ooops...sorry this is Games Workshop...

Ornithoticus
20-06-2005, 21:06
is there a possibility that chaos will be one of the two starter box armies, as empire and orcs are atm, in the new edition, i think it would be a good choice, its a popular army, and it would give gw a good reason to release this stuff( also the plastic knights and chariots mentioned in the same articler)

blood angel
20-06-2005, 21:25
I doubt that chaos would ever be a starting army. Would have to probably put some demons on the box cover and that may scare away the mothers of the younger audience that GW is trying to attract.

Plus, they know people will buy chaos anyway and won't need to be coerced into it by a starter set.

With that being said, I guess it is possible for GW to put out multiple starter sets just like they did for 40k's mccragge.

Griefbringer
20-06-2005, 22:56

Well, this rumour forum tends to be mostly filled with wishful thinking...

skavenguy13
20-06-2005, 23:20
is there a possibility that chaos will be one of the two starter box armies, as empire and orcs are atm, in the new edition, i think it would be a good choice, its a popular army, and it would give gw a good reason to release this stuff( also the plastic knights and chariots mentioned in the same articler)

There were threads about this a while ago (before woodies began to flood the forum). It will almost certainly be dwarfs. The other army will either be orcs+goblins (mostly goblins though) or skaven. However, most rumours are dwarfs + skaven.

portentjunkie
21-06-2005, 03:18
There were threads about this a while ago (before woodies began to flood the forum). It will almost certainly be dwarfs. The other army will either be orcs+goblins (mostly goblins though) or skaven. However, most rumours are dwarfs + skaven.

I'd say greenskins are more likely. They have included the greenskins in every starter box so far for warhammer, and for a good reason. Orcs and goblins are arguably the most iconic "evil" fantasy race out there.

If you are looking to draw in fresh blood, the primary intent of the new style starter boxes, you want something that any random person can associate with. Greenskins and dwarves fit that role perfectly, where skaven just don't.

Jericho
21-06-2005, 05:29
I don't remember seeing any Orcs hiding in the 5th edition box behind the Bretonnians and Lizardmen... ;)

I have a hard time seeing Skaven in a starter set as well. High Elves and Dwarfs is something else I could believe, or Dwarfs and Orcs, something with history and contrasting imagery definitely.

Chaos would make a fair bit of sense, just have Marauders and Warriors on the box instead of Demons. But the most logical opponent for Chaos would be more Empire guys, and I'm not sure if they'd be included in the starter set twice in a row. If they were it would mean new plastics probably, and that would make me pretty upset because I have so damn many of the current ones left to paint :D

PARTYCHICORITA
21-06-2005, 05:55
i've also heard some people talk about plastic slayers and thunderers in a near future.

portentjunkie
21-06-2005, 06:42
I don't remember seeing any Orcs hiding in the 5th edition box behind the Bretonnians and Lizardmen... ;)

Doh, forgot that one. Either way, I said greenskins, not orks, and lizards are a shade of green.... :evilgrin:

Lady's Champion
21-06-2005, 12:04
Remember- space marines are always included and everyone knows everyone buys them anyway but they were still in the Battle for Macragge- so take nothing for granted

Aeschylus
24-06-2005, 21:50
The developer notes in the VC book allude to an extra bloodline that would be released later. Obviously, this never happened.

Later developer comments, IIRC, stated that it was a "vampire that had bitten the wrong thing" or something like that, and many assumed it was a vampire chaos hybrid.

But it's been several years, and no new bloodline.

To me, this is the most tantalizing of unfulfilled rumours. Excepting, of course, the fishmen of aquapolis.

Aeschylus

Tenoch
24-06-2005, 22:07
Also plastic kroxigor were rumoured fr Lustria.

skavenguy13
24-06-2005, 22:36

Once again (about the kroxies). People also made fake rumors about ducks being re-sculpted.

EDIT: oops, meant clanrats

boogle
24-06-2005, 22:56
the Giant would be a good release for 7th Ed, the Chaos Sprues should appear over the next 2-3 years staggered

Kelroth
25-06-2005, 01:47
The developer notes in the VC book allude to an extra bloodline that would be released later. Obviously, this never happened.

Later developer comments, IIRC, stated that it was a "vampire that had bitten the wrong thing" or something like that, and many assumed it was a vampire chaos hybrid.

But it's been several years, and no new bloodline.

What's to say it won't be in the next army book, instead?

:0)
25-06-2005, 05:43
I demand my plastic Kroxigor/Salamanders.

Kratos
25-06-2005, 06:32
GW will slowly be making the shift to mostly plastics because (from what i hear) they are much cheaper to produce and about 25,000 plastic boxed sets are made EVERY DAY so they MUST be easier to make than metals (also plastic is cheaper for us right now, but at this rate one box of empire halberdiers will cost 75 dollars US in maybe 8 years)

Kelroth
25-06-2005, 09:26
I heard that plastic moulds are actually more expensive, so initial set-up is more expensive, but once they get them going the production price drops dramatically.

Correct?

boogle
25-06-2005, 10:13
yeah its about 3-4 times more expensive to set up the plastic moulds than it is to do the metal ones

Chuffy
25-06-2005, 11:31
The cost to make a plastic sprue costs about 125,000 or something like that, a lot of money.

Take the Land Raider when it first came out, it took about 2-3 years to make it's cost back, however once it did the money started rolling in.

EffCee
25-06-2005, 12:12
I seem to remember rumours of plastic Corsairs and Dark Riders for the Dark Elves.

skavenguy13
25-06-2005, 13:51
The cost to make a plastic sprue costs about 125,000 or something like that, a lot of money.

Well, just look at how they made the ogres and the new skavens. The plastic ogres all have the same base sprues (bodies, heads, gnoblars, weapons). Then, there's the command sprue. And both leadbelchers and ironguts have an extra sprue. And the gnoblars only have 1 sprue. This makes a total of 5 sprues for the army (about 750 000). If you get boxes at 15, that means they have to sell 30 000 boxes to get their money back...not that much considering it's worldwide!

Skaven: the plague monks sprues contain everything so they made only 1. Some for the moulder box. This makes only 2 sprues (250 000). They have to sell 10 000 of those boxes to get money back. Considering skavens need A LOT of boxes, it ain't bad.

Fire Power
25-06-2005, 16:47
"I seem to remember rumours of plastic Corsairs and Dark Riders for the Dark Elves."

So do I. These rumours appeared together with the rumours about new plastic dwarfs. There still are rumours about a dwarf revision, but is is very quite around the DE. Did anyone hear anything about them lately?

Cenyu
25-06-2005, 17:07
Id wish for at least half of the number of character models of our High and Wood Elven cousins.

:-/

Even more than plastic dark riders.

Avian
25-06-2005, 18:32
Plus plastic sprues are easier to pack than a lot of little metal bitz.
Remember that this is all done by hand, so packing is a major expense.

boogle
26-06-2005, 06:44
there are rumours of all WFB armies getting enough plastics to make a battalion set eventually

skavenguy13
26-06-2005, 11:36
Well, it wouldn't be that hard! Most armies have 2 3 or 4 plastic boxes. And some be be there twice in a bataillon (saurus, clanrats)

with the rumours of plastic dwarves and dark elves, I don't see a lot of armies without a bataillon:
chaos
vampires
beastmen
wood elves

And in those armies, I've seen boxed sets for all of them except vampires.

boogle
26-06-2005, 13:30
i meant the ones that have limited plastics (Dwarves, DE), also, Chaos woudl get one with Warriors, Beastmen, Knight and a Chariot, WE are getting one anyway, the Vamps would only need Black Knights, DE would need Dark Riders and Corsairs and a RBT and Dwarves would need Thunderers, Cannon and maybe Rangers

Squirrel
26-06-2005, 20:29
I've seen boxed sets for all of them except vampires.
yeah...except skeletons and oh yeah Zombies...

All they need to do is update the black guard(which in IMHO is long overdue) to plastic and there you go you have the battlion...

1.5 boxes of zombies
1.5 boxes of Skellies
and 1 box of 8 PLASTIC Black Knights...

Brucey...

namarie
02-07-2005, 16:46
Well, it wouldn't be that hard! Most armies have 2 3 or 4 plastic boxes. And some be be there twice in a bataillon (saurus, clanrats)

with the rumours of plastic dwarves and dark elves, I don't see a lot of armies without a bataillon:
chaos
vampires
beastmen
wood elves

And in those armies, I've seen boxed sets for all of them except vampires.

In fact, you can actually make a "chaos batallion: Chaos Warriors, Marauders and Beasts... :P

My guess is for hound plastic sprue, and then two boxes: Human Chariot + Hounds, and Beast Chariot + Hounds. Very useful for both armies.

.-: Namarie :-.