PDA

View Full Version : Landspeeder deployment

bertcom1
11-08-2006, 23:24
A relatively simple question.

How are Landspeeders moved between the SM ships and the ground?

Are they carried by Landing Craft or ThunderHawk Transport like the heavy armour is?

Or are they dropped directly from the Strike Cruiser? And are also capable of reaching orbit for retrieval?

Minister
11-08-2006, 23:29
Dropship. Landspeeders are not capable of true flight, let alone surface-to-orbit.

bertcom1
11-08-2006, 23:40
Thanks.

Got a source for this? Was there anything in a WD about Landspeeders?

The Epic stuff on the SG website doesn't mention how Landspeeders are deployed at all. It's not in the rules, the FaQ or errata. Weird.

Minister
12-08-2006, 00:09
Actually, it occurs: the Land Speeder can be deployed by drop pod. It was in the 3rd edition codex. However, obviously, anything that goes in a drop pod can also be placed in a more normal transport.

Past that, despite Kage's quote, I think absence of evidence is evidence of absence here. If a land speeder could reach orbit, it would have been mentioned.

Rincewind
12-08-2006, 00:09
The Land Speeder is a nap-of-the-earth anti-grav vehicle. I guess it'd be made more obvious if they could suddenly fly or survive re-entry... :rolleyes:

bertcom1
12-08-2006, 10:46
I remember reading something, some form of FaQ or Q&A where someone from GW answered a question on how far Landspeeders move when they arrive by Deep Strike, and the answer was "Over 6", they have dropped from orbit after all"

Weird.

Even weirder is that the Epic stuff does not mention that SM ships can carry Landspeeders at all. As far as I can tell, it hasn't been updated, it's not in the living rulebooks or the FaQs. Everything else can arrive by planetfall from a SM ship.

Minister
12-08-2006, 10:51
Indeed so. I would think that reenstating the use of drop pods would not be too unreasonable, but might not be the most balanced thing ever done to the Epic game.

yohanes13
16-08-2006, 10:43
i remeber reading fluuf once where a company of speeders i think ravenwing where dropped from a thunderhawk gunship just inside the atmosphere they freefalled then ingaged antigrav at the last minute. ill have a look for it.

Terminatorphoenix
16-08-2006, 10:48
thatwould be the funnest thing ever...