PDA

View Full Version : Black holes in 40k?

La'mour Le Breton
12-08-2006, 00:39
are there black holes in the 40k universe? i saw a program on the tele (im making fun of the british) and it said that there was a black whole at the center of every galaxy (most galaxys) and that the black holes are acually the reason that the galaxys exist. but i dont hear/read alot about black holes in 40k fluff

hellfire
12-08-2006, 00:43
yes because GW obviously thinks out every natural feature of the galaxy

Minister
12-08-2006, 00:46
Black holes exist, but all they really contribute (directly) is an area which all ships will avoid like the plague because of the gravitiational and EM junk they cause.

Kage2020
12-08-2006, 00:50
yes because GW obviously thinks out every natural feature of the galaxy
Now that is something that could be taken in so many different ways... ;)

Kage

Some guy (UK)
12-08-2006, 08:32
In some ways, I like to think Black holes and the warp are inter linked. I.e. warp holes and storms are special types of Black holes.

Later Some GUy

Gen.Steiner
12-08-2006, 10:36
are there black holes in the 40k universe? i saw a program on the tele (im making fun of the british) ...

It's "Telly", luv. Fancy a cuppa? :p

Er, Black Holes, err... yes, there must be, but don't ask me where they are.

ThousandPlateaus
12-08-2006, 10:40
Hopefully en route to the houses of a couple of C'Tan...

wilting_laughter
12-08-2006, 10:46
Well there are supposed to be large black holes at the centre of every galaxy so one might think they play an important role in the cosmic dance. So if they weren't in the 40k universe then it wouldn't work like ours.

t-tauri
12-08-2006, 10:52
Most 40k fluff occurs on planets. A planet close enough to a black hole to be majorly effected isn't going to be a planet anyone is going to fight over. Black holes are natural physical phenomena and are unrelated to warp activity.

ArtificerArmour
12-08-2006, 11:18
There's rules regarding the use of blackholes as "terrain" (It counts as the board edge) in BFG scenarios. So I'm presuming they do indeed exist.

Kage2020
12-08-2006, 13:40
One thing that you might also wish to consider is that according to the 'fluff', there is a link between gravity and difficulty in jumping into the warp, i.e. it inhibits the jump or makes it more dangerous. The implication is that you really, really want to avoid these pesky little beggers.

Kage

Khaine's Messenger
12-08-2006, 16:39
They're there, but they're already overused in sci-fi (from singularity drives to Disney movies)...it's a marvel they aren't mentioned much in 40k. Not that this is a good thing, as astronomical phenomena should factor strongly in a setting dependant on astronomy, but there's so much metaphysics already without having to add black holes (or worm-holes) on top of it.

Black holes don't have any more gravity than anything else of similar mass, so I doubt it would have a special effect on the warp-bubble around its "system."

There are other astronomical phenomena that are "missing" (pulsars, eg), but this has mainly to do with how conflict and infrastructure occurs/is built mostly around habitable systems, as mentioned above (although there are "rogue planets" out there, iirc, over which people have indeed fought).

t-tauri
12-08-2006, 17:23
The point of black holes is that there isn't anything of similar mass. They are the most massive things known.

The kind of astronomical phemomena you're talking about only really have a place in BFG and even there they'd completely warp the scenario as the area of effects would be over light years or tens of light years, Having your entire fleet vaporised by a jet from a black hole wouldn't be a good game.

nurgleman
12-08-2006, 20:38
Lol im betting there will be never black hole fluff because anything near a black hole will be sucked in and destroyed and its not even viable as a trap because time goes more slowy around a black hole due to the high gravity and 5 minutes at a black hole might be 500 years.

Born Again
13-08-2006, 01:19
There was a black hole in 40k once, but obviously as it sucked up and killed everyone nearby no one ever heard about it.

EarthScorpion
13-08-2006, 12:05
Basically, they are not mentioned as no-one goes near them. They have no viable resources, thus there is not interest in any form of colonisation (not that you could do that, anyway), and they inhibit Warp Travel, so you avoid them as much as possible.