PDA

View Full Version : mirror o' knowlege

inq.serge
12-08-2006, 13:37
what am i allowed to do with mirror of knowlege.

lets say whe got this scenario:

beatrice has mirror of knowlege, she uses it on a unit consisting of night goblins and a ork warboss.

what may i ask with the mirror.

(this is yes or no questions im asking to you)

1: how many netters/fanatics do you have in the unit?

2: how much does the unit cost?

3: what are they equiped with?

4: may i see their statlines?

5: what is your tactic with them?( and don't lie, because thats cheating!)

6: what is their weak point?( and don't lie, because thats cheating!)

7: how do i defeat this unit?( and don't lie, because thats cheating!)

8: what do you avoid with this unit?( and don't lie, because thats cheating!)

9: what is their tactical strenght?( and don't lie, because thats cheating!)

10: how do i defeat their tactical strenght ?( and don't lie, because thats cheating!)

11: what can I do to make them screw it up/fail with what they are doing?( and don't lie, because thats cheating!)

thanks.

Milgram
12-08-2006, 14:40
there are some really 'stupid' (no offense) questions. you don't need anything to see their statlines, the netters are public as well as the equipment (besides the magic items of the warboss). the 'don't lie' questions are not clear questions as it asks for the other players point of view. a unit of nightgoblins usualy has no tactic (besides fanatics) nor a tactical strengh.

so why use some strange magic item I never heard of to ask questions that you could as well see from the bsb or the armybook? (and if these nightgoblins are wearing handweapons instead of spears, your opponent has to tell you anyway.)

the only question from these that makes sense is 'how many fanatics' (or probably the cost question - that would implicate if there are fanatics and what the boss is equiped with.)

ebolatheripe
15-08-2006, 03:35
The Mirror can only be used for factually based things (fanatics hiding in a unit, magic items, a sorcerers magic level, etc.). Not opinions like "how do you beat that unit?". What if your opponent really doesn't know? Then you would be listening to bad advice even tho your opponent thinks he/she is telling the truth.

Milgram
15-08-2006, 05:28
a sorcerers magic level

magic levels are public.

Flame
15-08-2006, 09:23
As are the spells the have!

DeathlessDraich
15-08-2006, 11:30
Serge, I suggest you ignore the unwarranted cynicism in most of the previous replies.

It's a suitable idea for a thread. If you can come up with better questions it will work. Question 1 seems to be ok.

Can I suggest 2 broad categories:

1) Questions on the game as a whole e.g.
a) How many power dice/dispel dice for an effective magic phase?
b) What is the balance between magic, shooting and combat units or the balance between elite and core troops etc - This question could be refined to generate easier answers as in how many cavalry/shooting/elite units is in your army etc?

2) Army specific questions e.g.
a) Where/How do you deploy a Skaven/Dwarf/Empire gunline?
b) For Undead in 7th rules where would you place your Hierophant/Vampire?
c) How do you equip your steam tank
d) Which is your favoured warmachine in Dwarf/Empire armies.
e) How many Black orc/Goblin units in your Orc army?

etc.

and I think this thread should be under Tactics

Festus
15-08-2006, 13:11
...and I think this thread should be under Tactics
Why?

He is asking for the rules of a special Item, not for any tactics. It's just that he fails to apply a bit of *common sense*... :(

Festus

T10
16-08-2006, 10:57
Who's Beatrice, and what does her Mirror do?

-T10

Voltaire
16-08-2006, 15:17
Anything hidden - eg Assassins in a DE unit or fanatics in a gobbo unit. You can also learn what Magic Items they have.

DirtJumper
16-08-2006, 15:53
I thought thos items made your oponent tell you what is normally hidden about the unit, not let you ask him questions. And no, I don't think you can ask him a question that's not based on what magic items/what have you the unit has.

Khorneflakes
19-08-2006, 06:08
quote " the opponent must reveal everything that is not apparent about the unit ie magic items and their bearers ,fanatics & hidden assassins etc"

i dont think u hav 2 tell them the points value of the unit or any tactics that they may be planning, maybe if they had yellow stuff on their faces and u thought it was egg and your opponent informs u it was custard then that would be ok..... suttle enuff? cmon its a 20 point item!

ZomboCom
19-08-2006, 09:13
Yup, you just have to reveal hidden things about the unit, e.g. magic banners, magic items, hidden assassins etc.

The whole idea of asking "how can I beat it?" with the mirror is a nonsense.