PDA

View Full Version : Best Alt. Games?

SeaCaptain
12-08-2006, 18:33
Which games does everyone play besides GW games? Which ones have you found to be really fun, or on the other hand not a very good game? My pal and I are looking at alternative games, and would like to find out a little more.
Thanks.

Luke
12-08-2006, 19:25
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31710

Urban War. Probably the best ruleset I have ever played. Probably some of the nicest minis for the genre.

KingNic
12-08-2006, 23:37
Two games; Warmachine and Starship Troopers.

Warmachine is quick to get into, has great tactical depth and some fantastic miniatures. The rules are solid and a full sized force plus rules shouldnt set you back more than £60-£70.

Starship Troopers is a sci-fi game of choice. The rules are absolutely gob-smackingly fantastic, but the quality of miniatures does vary a LOT. Mongoose miniatures always look better in the flesh (a lot of people dislike the plastic M.I. miniatures in photos but love them once they've held them and painted them) and on the whole, the mobile infantry and arachnid models are good quality and good value. The Skinnies range does range from absolutely abysmal to pretty good.

Don't get caught out by the "there's only 3 races" comments. I've played well over 150 games of 40k and I've had a LOT more variation and fun with a dozen games of SST. And how often do you get to play against an army other than space marines anyway?

If you and your mate want to get started then 2 x game boxes plus some more arachnids will set you up for 1500 points easily. The starter box is a VERY good deal if you each pay half and split the minis in there.

Senbei
13-08-2006, 08:10
Rar... Battletech... (Slow, clunky but fun) and you get to play with BattleMech's. Warlord... Reapers Fantasy game... on a smaller scale than WFB. Flames of War has quite a following I hear (WWII mini's game) but it's not a game I've realy bought into... Warmachine has a lot of cool mini's... I have a few of these but nobody seems to play it here out in the Styx... Many others worth considering in my opinion.... GW jus doesn't put the effort in nowadays... It's been ages since I'v seen anything truly -new- from them and not just a rehash of something they've already done 4 to 8 years earlier... (last 'new' thing would be the Tau.... and that was quite a while ago).

Grinner
13-08-2006, 09:43
Most populer alternatives in our store are Confrontation and Flames of War, both great games on the rise in popularrity. Also, check out Infinity, easy to learn and very fun.

Yarick Zan
13-08-2006, 09:48
between me and my friends, we do shadowrun and old school battletech. good old fasa.

mattblackgod
13-08-2006, 21:16
My favorites are Combat Zone, Babylons Burning and Skank.

Sleazy
14-08-2006, 08:51
Warmachine, Urban War, gonna start SST too.

Will get Hordes at some point.

Like the idea of Battletech but have never played it, did that new box set ever come out?

I buy loadsa minis from other ranges (Rackham, Reaper ect) but sont play their games.

Keravin
14-08-2006, 09:34
Warmachine, Hordes, Hybrid.

I may eventually properly play Confrontation even though I own armies for it.

shakespear
14-08-2006, 23:38
Babylon 5: A Call to Arms (just got)

Flames of War

Warmachine

Starship Troopers (Have the boxset, no minis painted)

I find it soooooooo hard to get people into "other game systems"

Luke
14-08-2006, 23:57
I find it soooooooo hard to get people into "better game systems"

Corrected. But you forgot Urban War :p

shakespear
15-08-2006, 00:32
Not familar with it. Is it new?

shakespear
15-08-2006, 03:44
It has nudity I noticed... =)

Luke
15-08-2006, 08:22
Officially it hasnt but you can work around it :D

jazzdude78
16-08-2006, 03:53
Right Im bitten by the Wargods bug (again I swear it comes back every gencon) it is a great system though updates are really slow for it unfortunately

Rezolution is prolly my favorite Scifi skirmish right now though many people find the minis offputting but the rules are great and I do happen to like most of the range

Dark Age is good as well but has a following that is about as big as Wargods which is sadly real small but the minis are great though Broms art is kinda a hit or miss with some people

Void is still my favorite battle system for scifi though since Ikore went belly up gamer base did as well
UW is a cool alternative but lacks something in the minis to me

Heavy Gear has a solid ruleset and it and Jovian Chronicles have awesome minis player base is also really small (see something in common here?) I havent really played it much though

Warmachine and Hordes have the player base here but Warmachine has a playstyle that some dislike I personally think they did a much better job on Hordes balance wise and game mechanics wise overall a great mini line too

Infinity has some real sweet models a pretty good ruleset (incomplete right now) but has quite possibly the smallest presence of any game Ive listed here except...

Supersystem the game for superhero fun though Ive yet to get a game in the 2nd edition did just come out course its a niche game

Sleazy
16-08-2006, 08:46
you actually prefer Void minis to Urban War?!?! weird dude. Any in particular?

Luke
16-08-2006, 10:30
I have to say, the Viridian colonial marines are my favorite human soldier figures ever. Having painted up over 50 of them for various armies and groups I will testify to them being some of the most immaculate sculpts on the planet.

Sleazy
16-08-2006, 12:35
they're good Luke (very good actually, would make fantastic IG Stormtoopers) but they aint as good as the Triads.

General Veers
16-08-2006, 14:28
What I play:

Fantasy: WarGods; Armies of Arcana

Sci-Fi: Starship Troopers; I also collect Star Wars a bit as well but don't game it.

Historicals: Flames of War; Warhammer Ancient Battles

Aside from WaB, I just realized I don't play GW games anymore. I guess I'm lucky with a FLGS close by that has some game space for other games besides only GW games.

jazzdude78
16-08-2006, 15:39
you actually prefer Void minis to Urban War?!?! weird dude. Any in particular?

While I will give you the Viridians did improve pretty much in every aspect for UW

most all of the other factions were cooler in the early days of Void (before many of the resculpts and the death of Ikore)

Senbei
16-08-2006, 15:42
Hmn... D&D Minis! lol.

Older Ed's of WFB (3rd Ed right now)

Anyway... Battletech > Heavy Gear. Meh, can't improve on perfection! lol.

>_>

SeaCaptain
17-08-2006, 07:01
I've been reading the rules for Urban War, they sound great and a whole new change to the wargame systems I've been playing so far.

Sleazy
17-08-2006, 09:14
While I will give you the Viridians did improve pretty much in every aspect for UW

most all of the other factions were cooler in the early days of Void (before many of the resculpts and the death of Ikore)

gonna have to disagree mate. I think the Koralons improved vastly (although I know lots of people preferred the old ones).

I dont think the Triads were in Void were they? either way I absolutley LUURVE their minis.

Junkers havent changed much but have some great new additions like the exosuit.

the new VASA regulars are, on the whole nice, especially the Archangels and Black Legion.

Syntha, I havent really looked at in depth but they have some nice stuff.

and yeah, everyone seems to like the Viridians