PDA

View Full Version : "Counts as" question

Powerslave
13-08-2006, 02:51
Hey all,
Getting back into WFB with the 7th edition.

I've recently read the Ambassador Chronicals and have been inspired to have a unit from the empire as part of a larger forgien army. I'm wanting to go with dwarfs, and use a regiment of Empire Soldiers for the longbeards. I also plan on placing a priest of sigmar in the front of the unit to act as the 'veteran'. All rules pertaining to Longbeard will be the same, I'm simply using different models. I'm also going with the fact that the dwarf warriors can be inspired by the Sigmarite priest and their (the dwarfs) debt to Sigmar to represent the Longbeard "Old Grumblers" rule. I may even label the all the units on the movement trays, so this one would obviously say "Longbeards".

Think anyone would have a problem with this? Again, no rule changes, just personal fluff for me.

Thanks!

Festus
13-08-2006, 09:52
Hi

If you point it out to your opponent beforehand (and he will ask you, be assured), I don't see too much of a problem...

...as long as it is the only unit of LB / or all LB are humans.

If there are both *human* and *dwarf* Longbeards, it is bad, as this has potential of misremembering.

Greetings
FEstus

Sir_Turalyon
13-08-2006, 10:43
Gamewise I'd say go for it.

I would change the fluff a bit - dwarfs respect Sigmar as a hero, but don't pay much attention to his priests. However, dwarfs would be even more ashamed to showweakness in presance of weakling humans then in presance of longbeards - after all, thay are superior warriors...

Nadir
13-08-2006, 11:06
In friendly games nothing should stand in the way for those kind of ideas. I love the count as rule and I intend to apply it to my DoW a lot. And this sounds like a sound idea.

macbeth
13-08-2006, 15:21
Why don't you take DoW? You would still have humans in a dwarf army, and you wouldn't need to resort to count as rules...

Powerslave
13-08-2006, 22:21
Great comments.
I think I will change my fluff to not wanting to show weakness in front of a regiment of humans.

@ Macbeth: Around these parts, taking DoW can be seen as cheesy. Also, I'm thinking about setting this army up as guards for either Black Fire Pass or Mad Dog Pass. I can see the Empire sending representatives to these areas, as they are crucial to the security of the Empire. I like that idea moreso than dwarfs paying for the services of some mercenaries.

NakedFisherman
13-08-2006, 22:46
@ Macbeth: Around these parts, taking DoW can be seen as cheesy.

Why? They're perfectly fine.

Dwarfs can take Kislevites, by the way. If you liked them in the book, you'll probably like them in your army too. :)

Powerslave
13-08-2006, 23:04
Some see the addition of DoW as making up for an army's weakness.
Dwarfs can take Kislevites? Where's this at, as I only have the Dwarf army book, and though it mentions DoW, I see no Kislev DoW at the GW online store.
Guess I'm not looking close enough...

Mephistofeles
13-08-2006, 23:24
It's in the Kislev "Book", it says they can be allied to: Brettonia, Empire, High Elves, Wood Elves, Dogs of War and Dwarfs.

EvC
13-08-2006, 23:33
Sounds good to me! Plus you can even rationalise away the fact these humans persue (or perhaps even flee!) slower than regular humans as being due to the Priest having a bit of a dodgy hip in his old age ;)

Mad Makz
14-08-2006, 04:35
This would be especially cool if you converted up the Humans to have signs of cohabiting with the Dwarfs, i.e having the odd Dwarf Axe instead of a sword in the unit.

You could also consider making the unit extra heavily armoured (having borrowed/been gifted dwarfen armour) to account for their slowness and their increased toughness stats wise.

macbeth
14-08-2006, 10:55
Great comments.
@ Macbeth: Around these parts, taking DoW can be seen as cheesy. Also, I'm thinking about setting this army up as guards for either Black Fire Pass or Mad Dog Pass. I can see the Empire sending representatives to these areas, as they are crucial to the security of the Empire. I like that idea moreso than dwarfs paying for the services of some mercenaries.

Well, it depends. Taking Bronzio's galloping guns in a chaos army definitely is. But taking human pikemen or paymaster bodyguards in a dwarf army does not really seem so...

Khaane
14-08-2006, 23:38
I don't really see using DOW rules as being cheesy as long as there is a good reason behind doing it. I personally have some really old DE units which I use DOW rules for ie. a unit of heavy cavelry. I also use some of the rules as counts as rules as I have some really nice stuff from other games companies that look like DE units but won't fit in with the GW regiments in the book.