PDA

View Full Version : I was playing Space Hulk today...

Damage,Inc.
20-06-2005, 02:54
Guess what I found? Space Hulk the EA computer game made in 1993. I was playing it and died, a lot. That game is tough! It's still cool, 12 years later though. The intro music by D-Rok, the dude yelling, "The Dark Angel Chapter!", the cut scenes of an assault cannon opening up on a Genestealer ambush, the Marine captain in green (!!) armor giving your mission briefs...

Good stuff.

"The Emperor has dictated you weaponry..."

x-esiv-4c
20-06-2005, 03:01
Nice! I was just playing Dark Omens a while back. Those were the days? When I first played the original space hulk back in the day I thought it was the coolest thing ever...

Then the genestealers showed up.

TenTailedCat
20-06-2005, 03:08
I still have Dark Omen and Space Hulk Vengance of the Blood Angels for my Playstation, I might have to play that again actually...

SH:VoTBAs is great - nothing beats those dramatic bits when there are stealers coming from every direction and you're pinned down in an open area just waiting for the right moment when there's a lull in the fighting to make a break out and dash for the objective. Not many games today can replicate that sort of drama.

neXus6
20-06-2005, 06:48
I played Space Hulk Vengence once at a friends house many years ago. It was really cool. I've never managed to get myself a copy of it or the original which is a shame.
We really need an updated vertion of it, think about how amazing that would be. An Alien Vs Predator atmosphere and a strategy bit (could probably extend that out to choosing which bit of the ship you first punch into), probably wouldn't be the hardest thing to do. Just need someone to realise that there is a market for it cause a Space Hulk game doesn't need extensive knowledge of the 40k universe, infact it needs far far less than Dawn of War and it's sold pretty well.

If a new Space Hulk game had a very extensive Multiplayer it would be amazing, both cooperative and people playing as Stealers and whatever other beasties they choose to infest the hulks with.

Catterjee
20-06-2005, 07:11
I picked up Space Hulk: Vengance of the Blood Angels for my Playstation a few years ago for $10. I honestly think it was a waste of money. The game itself could have been cool, but it controls like ass.

neXus6
20-06-2005, 07:49
Well I've not played it on the Playstation but it seemed to be okay on the PC.
*shrug*
Some games are just like that.

Catterjee
20-06-2005, 07:52
Oh, I'm sure the PC version was great. As I said reguarding the Playstation version, the game itself seemed cool, but the controls ruined the experience. The number of commands and such was simply too much for a control pad to handle. It seemed like you had to do a 73 button combination just to scratch your nose.

Lord Balor
20-06-2005, 08:23
I could never get Space Hulk to Work on PC when i Downloaded it, so i've honestly never played it. However i do own an original copy of Chaos Gate (I finished it loosing only two marines!) and Final Liberation, both of which were pretty sweet for thier time.

Besides those i've also played Firewarrior, Dawn of War and Rival Species to Death! Next on my to play list is Warhammer Online...if it ever comes out...

MidnightResistance
20-06-2005, 09:17
Isn't there a WIP mod for Dawn fo War that lets you play SPACE HULK?

TenTailedCat
20-06-2005, 10:02
I find SP:VotBAs works fine on the PS, it takes some getting used to but m only real concern has been with the close ocmbat, which seems terribly random, though I didn't get a manual with the game (used) so I had to work out the controls by myself, so they can't be that hard - I had no help at all and worked them out pretty easily.

An update of VotBAs is somethign I'd love to see - WH40K has such a beautiful and evocative setting, it's a shame the games we get have to be liek Fire Warrior and Dawn of War - I know DoW is good but there's precious little atmosphere to it, I want someone to really make us of the dark, gothic, hopeless setting of the 41st millenium... Don't see many original ideas in games anymore though *sigh*

Lord Lucifer
20-06-2005, 10:21
Ahhhhhhhhhh Space Hulk
Played through many levels, then died too many times, and stopped playing
It was a tough, tough game

One hit from a Genestealer and it's all over :cries:

Typheron
20-06-2005, 11:36
i played it for a bit after finding it not too long ago in one of those charity shops, twas fun but could never really get into it. The lack of another player to talk to while i shoot up his nids was probably part of it.

although i do love how it run from a CD, no install at all on my copy which did not really matter much since it was a tiny program compared to the games today.

Azazel
20-06-2005, 13:36
Next on my to play list is Warhammer Online...if it ever comes out...

I dont think it is ever coming out. I havent been to their site reciently, but last I saw was they discontinued it. Seems like DoW was successful enough.

TenTailedCat
20-06-2005, 13:43
I heard (from the video game store equivilent of a Red Shirt, so pinch of salt is advised) that WHO was put on hold because New Line Cinema (who run LoTRs now) gave them the contract to make the LoTR battle game, and as they're bringing out Middle Earth Online it was part of the deal that to maximise MEO profits GW should hold back WHO for a couple of years.

Did any of that make sense?
Anyway, as I said - pinch of salt.

Lord Lucifer
20-06-2005, 14:23
Uhhh, guys? You DO realise that WHO is dead and gone, and Warhammer the online roleplaying game, is picked up by another crowd, who have it scheduled for about 2 years time, right?
I mean, one this forum, more detail is released... just look at the topics, you can't miss it

charlie_c67
20-06-2005, 14:57
To those who have Chaos gate, how do you stop it crashing when you assault the castle? It always seems to happen to me and i dunno why :(

Damage,Inc.
20-06-2005, 17:32
I loved Chaos Gate, but it always randomly crashes under XP. Anyone know what will help with that? Yes, I did try compatibility settings...

TenTailedCat
20-06-2005, 17:35
How odl is it? old enough to run on DOSBOX? That tends to help with older games.

charlie_c67
21-06-2005, 10:53
Well, to be honest, win 95/98 never really was anything but DOS was it?

TenTailedCat
21-06-2005, 11:39
Not in any real way I suppose.

There are... certain.. sites where you culd download things to make it work, but they're illegal...

Chuffy
21-06-2005, 12:03
I loved Chaos Gate, but it always randomly crashes under XP. Anyone know what will help with that? Yes, I did try compatibility settings...

Burn the game. BURN IT! WORST GAME EVER!

GW turned down Blizzard and their idea for an RTS game and made CG.

Blizzard made Starcraft.

Owned.