PDA

View Full Version : Paintings or pictures on mini boxes

BlazeXI
13-08-2006, 16:46
A thread on covers of upcoming Orc & Goblins boxed sets has tempted me to put this question:

What do you prefer on the boxed sets covers:

paintings vaguely resembling the box content, but with epic style (see Dwarf Warriors as an example)

or

pictures of the actual minis?

Lardidar
13-08-2006, 16:53
To be honest I could not care at all, I want whats in it not a pretty box.

I suppose actual pictures is a beter way to see what you are buying, sometimes a painting could be misleading.

DeathMasterSnikch
13-08-2006, 17:01
I'm not bothered but I'll vote pictures, the model pics tend to be less dynamic.

cookiescrumble
13-08-2006, 17:02
Prefer pictures of what i am buying.

Some guy (UK)
13-08-2006, 17:26
Paintings for sure on the front, with pictures on the back/sides, I'd prefere it to all this photoshop stuff they have nowdays.

Later, Some Guy

generulpoleaxe
13-08-2006, 17:32
pics of the actual minis.

they are the ones that keep telling us wysiwyg.

bob syko
13-08-2006, 17:36
Always nice to see what your getting and most of the art is all stuff i've seen in WD before, so models for me.

EvC
13-08-2006, 18:13
Paintings please, as long as there's a nice clear, accurate picture on the back of the box! As opposed to the first modern-era plastic set I bought from GW, which had a picture of the older boxed set which came with metal components for the command group :rolleyes:

TheWarSmith
13-08-2006, 18:25
I love the paintings on the plastic regiment boxes.

What I HATE are the "pictures" of the 40k models that have been photoshopped to hell.

Mephistofeles
13-08-2006, 18:54
I'm going to see the models when I open the box anyway, so I'd rather have a nice painting on the cover.

xibo
13-08-2006, 18:56
What I HATE are the "pictures" of the 40k models that have been photoshopped to hell.
... and/or badly painted. See the WHFB Empire's Spearmen Box. Its the worst painted minatures I've ever seen.

TheWarSmith
13-08-2006, 21:26
That's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to the space marines being posed with photoshopped flames and lighting all over the place.

Give us art, OR miniatures images, not a hybrid

RampagingRavener
13-08-2006, 21:36
Paintings. The artwork just looks nice, I've kept the odd box here and there because of the Art on it. The photoshopping can be Ok from time to time (I think the Leman Russ is quite nice, and the Carnifex/Hive Tyrant boxes aint bad), but usually it just looks rather tacky and overdone.

strv
13-08-2006, 21:41
The paintings are very pretty, and pictures wouldn't be good on plastic, as the models dosn't look very good.
On special units, pictures is better.

Lostanddamned
13-08-2006, 21:54
Paintings please, I like the pretty picture that inspires me when I paint them

7th
14-08-2006, 09:02
To be honest I could not care at all, I want whats in it not a pretty box.

I'm with this guy but there's no "couldn't care less, just let me get at what's inside" option :(

Besides, if there's any doubt as to what's in the box, there's always pics of the models on the back and sides atleast (for all the boxes I can think of off the top of my head atleast, though I stand to be corrected)

Bronka
14-08-2006, 09:37
I voted pictures - I actually quite like the photoshop stuff, you can see exactly what you're getting, and to be honest I find a lot of the paintings to be mediocre. The Dark Elf box art (for example) is not that great.

Although my favourite box art ever is the zombie one - if only the models looked like that! :D

The boyz
14-08-2006, 10:46
Thinking about it, I am not too bothered really. Some of the paintings/art work that you get on different boxes does look very nice. I quite like the Dwarf artwork and the art work on the Zombie regiment box looks good too.

cybertron2000uk
14-08-2006, 15:39
I love my painted box covers, I try and save em for display, the photoshopped pics go in the bin...lol its not the same thing...

Zealot
14-08-2006, 17:55
The photoshopped pictures. Indian in the Cupboard style stuff, as if the minis came to life. The paintings are always nice, but this new style is just that: new. A change from what's been done before.

Bombot
14-08-2006, 18:59
Paintings. I like the return to the old skool.

rkunisch
14-08-2006, 20:09
I am with the fraction that really likes a good piece of Art on the front side with a (smaller) picture of the actual minis on the backside. It gets me into the right mood to paint the minis. :)

Have fun,

Rolf.

cybertron2000uk
15-08-2006, 22:13
I did love the way the Imp guard tank pics were done....as long as the pic is cool...

Gaebriel
17-08-2006, 14:50
I like what they did with the battle for Macragge-Box - a painting that blends over into a photo of the miniatures...

Gen_eV
17-08-2006, 20:51
and the Carnifex/Hive Tyrant boxes aint bad.

Except for the fact the Hive Tyrant has a load of acid or somesuch spurting out of a Venom cannon. The thing's a ******* railgun with organic crystalline ammo! Stupid photoshop work, drives me nuts it does. I don't mind good photoshopping, just make sure people know what the weapons do before they're let loose on the models. Next you know, Lasguns will be firing out laser beams...

Personally, I like Photos on the 40K boxes, but prefer pictures for Fantasy. As I'm a 40k player first and foremost (until someone figures out a way to put Carnifexes in a WHFB army, anyways), I've voted for photos.

I actually like the photoshopping - you can see the models, but it's a bit more interesting than just model on grass. Particularly with individual model kits as opposed to sqquads, they look all lonely on a basic product display photo.

asmodai_dark86
18-08-2006, 01:31
I understand why people would say pictures but...

Theres already pictures on the back showing what you get
If it all got switched, we'd lose some really nice artwork. The zombie box set's a great example, as is the woodelf stuff.

Granted on somethings its not really need (eldar rangers, wood elf treeman - the metal sets really) but if its going to be a plastic set on sale for the next 5 years or so then yeh I'd like to see a bit of effort put in.

cailus
18-08-2006, 01:53

Yup, they are true garbage.

Plaguebeast
18-08-2006, 02:05
Paintings all the way thank-you very much. The photoshopping looks tacky and cheap whereas artwork can be truly inspiring, even if it does mislead you as to what you get in the box :P.

Plaguebeast

snurl
18-08-2006, 09:44
I like good old fashioned box art paintings, photos on the back of the box please.

Storm_Hawk
18-08-2006, 11:30
Paintings on the front for the Regiment Box sets (gotta love the Zombies), with Pictures on the back.