PDA

View Full Version : The future of warhammer after 7th ed

Elannion
13-08-2006, 21:37
hello all. What do you think will happen in future editions of warhammer after 7th ed? We know that the army books are going to be re adjusted every now and then when they need it, we also know that the 7th edition rule book is similar to that of 6th with a few minor tweaks, this would suggest that warhammer may remain very similar to what it is now with only a few changes when people start to get bored or find loop holes in the system. Do you think this is the case that there will just be patch ups when its needed?

Personally i hope that maybe 8th edition we will see revisions, i feel that patching up problems will not result in any real solutions, it will only end up cutting the rules up probably breaking them even more or even removing alot of choice. I believe that warhammer needs reform, for one it keeps things fresh and while they are fresh people don't know how to break it, aswell as it being more fun, for another i feel if something isnt working and theres no good way of fixing it you need to start over new. I am actually quite saddened that there is so little change in 7th ed, it seems to me alot of the rules are very patch work and often miss the point entirely, there are quite a few issues that reamin un-addressed, quite important issues such as monsters, infantry, dispelling ect.

Anyway what is it that you think will happen?

McMullet
13-08-2006, 22:52
don't forget that the army for newbies has guns that are S4 armor piercing and are WS, BS, S, T 4.
What do you mean "armour piercing"? The whole armour system needs to be revised, it's far too complex. Having a simple weapon stat that allows or disallows the target a save is the way to go!

Seriously though. 7th edition Fantasy is intended as a revision of 6th edition, much as 4th edition 40K was a revision of 3rd. It might better be called Version 6.5 or something. I guess that 8th edition, when it comes along, it will involve major changes (the kind that render army books invalid, yay...).

Black-Tooth
13-08-2006, 23:04
So, by the sound of it, you want the 40K rules in fantasy too?

Well what'd be the point in that? If you want 40K, play 40K

How is the armour save modifiers remotly complicated anyway?

Lardidar
13-08-2006, 23:04
I guess that 8th edition, when it comes along, it will involve major changes (the kind that render army books invalid, yay...).

Should be at least 8 years though .... more I hope.

The simplicity of 40k has killed that game for me and I no longer play (I used to play 9-10 times a week), I fear if it was to happen to fantasy it would be the end of my time with GW games. (apart from Blood bowl of course)

EDIT- Black-Tooth - I think they are being ironic .... I bloody hope so !!!

Mephistofeles
13-08-2006, 23:20

Dude, chill out. They are not serious. They're ironic.

Highborn
13-08-2006, 23:28
Everyone will have movement 6.
And there will be an army for newbies that gets a 3+ save always.

*cough* BRETONNIA *cough*

DeathMasterSnikch
14-08-2006, 00:47

Ah that was the funniest thing today sinse bob syko's comment on Slaanesh. :p

Hopefully every 8-10 years a new edition will come out, rendering army books void and resulting in new troop types and background, then oldies will have their old books to give them background info that renders them superior to new players. Hopefully this will happen without WH getting dumbed down for 7 year olds who fingerpaint their army.

Freak Ona Leash
14-08-2006, 00:52
8th Edition...The Ogres will be revealed to be under the power of a "Overmind" kind of gestalt-conciousness and will procede to eat the Tileans and Estalians. The Empire will become completly steam-punk with clockwork salad bowls and the like. Oh, and the Dwarfs and Elves will still be on the decline for the what now, fourth millenium? Either let them go extinct or say they arent declining anyniore GW, yeesh...

DeathMasterSnikch
14-08-2006, 00:57
Oh, and the Dwarfs and Elves will still be on the decline for the what now, fourth millenium? Either let them go extinct or say they arent declining anyniore GW, yeesh...

Don't be silly, thats what the old races do.

Orcs hit things.
Slann sit around contemplating
Skaven plot and kill each other
Empire makes robo horses
Dwarves get grumpy and decline
Elves get ponsey and decline

duh, happens in everything, Tolkien effected the fantasy genre forever.

RampagingRavener
14-08-2006, 01:08
So, what, now every player who collects 40k is below the age of 12, has no idea whatsoever about painting skills or game tactics, and the idea of variable move distances and ASM is utterly beyond them? :eyebrows:

I doubt fantasy will change much in future editions, honestly. It'll probably just be the odd little bit of tinkering now and then ever 8 years or so. I think the "core rules" for the main game systems are pretty set now, anyway.

dodicula
14-08-2006, 01:10
What I hope we never see:
8th edition, all army books invalidated, they finally completed all the army books they wanted, and the game is complete, sure they can add gravy, but the game is done, at last!

What I hope to see:

More detailed backgrounds for regions not yet explored (like lustria)
campaign packs

A good fleshed out skirmish system not as small as mordheim, but more like the Chaos Warbands system in the original chaos books!

An Army of Cathay and an Full Dogs of war book, including tileans and kislevites!

Chaos Dwarves

DeathMasterSnikch
14-08-2006, 01:14
So, what, now every player who collects 40k is below the age of 12, has no idea whatsoever about painting skills or game tactics, and the idea of variable move distances and ASM is utterly beyond them? :eyebrows:

No I was refering to the dumming down of WHFB lately, it's recently been made to appeal to a younger audience than the previous years.

Mad Makz
14-08-2006, 03:16
Warhammer has only EVER undergone major revisions in the magic system (in fact no two editions that I am aware of have had what I would call a stable change of the magic system, except maybe the new change between 6th and 7th).

If the 7th edition magic system works out then I would see only little revises as the most likely result, as well as expansion into other areas of the game world. The expansion into other areas of the game world will likely create the odd new rules/power problems, which will eventually be collated and fixed in a revised edition later on down the track.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
15-08-2006, 09:32
even if future editions stink that won't stop me finding people willing to play older editions (i have the occasional 5th ed game even now, just for nostalgia and a different feel...not to mention a lot fewer models on the table). heck, even after GW goes bankrupt i'm sure a few people will keep playing. I will, I suspect.

Scythe
15-08-2006, 09:58
I doubt the game will have a mayor overhaul when 8th edition comes around. Like said, the rules are pretty solid at the moment, and it seems gw has stepped away from the 'huge changes between editions', like 5th-6th edition switch, or 2nd-3rd for 40K.

snurl
15-08-2006, 10:38
Snurl's Prophesy...........

Year 2030 and the rollout of Warhammer Fantasy Battles version 10:
Due to the increasing costs of plastics and the lost art of pewter casting (after the huge lawsuit in 2015 when a 4 year old attempted to eat his space marines after mistaking the bright colors to be candy)........but i digress...

All previous versions are obsolete. New armies will have to be cut out of Citadel Paper so that the newer, Simplified game, whose rules are now printed inside the box lid, can be played in 10 minutes or less. Log on to Games Workshop to Download a regiment today.

McMullet
15-08-2006, 11:25
I assume Citadel Paper will sell for £40 a sheet...?

Goq Gar
15-08-2006, 11:48
A noob flood.