PDA

View Full Version : what is the armoured battle group?

dark angel
14-08-2006, 14:40
hi

ive being playing on army builder and come across the armoured battle group and was wondering what is it and it the army any good as i love the IG tanks and this list sound tank friendly

the spook
14-08-2006, 14:44
armoured company perhaps?

dark angel
14-08-2006, 14:50
no ive had a look through the list on the army builder and i think its a mix of tanks and armoured fist squads(witch sound cool).

also do you think this would be a good theme as a seige army??

Jedi152
14-08-2006, 14:52
I think there are 2 lists: The Armoured Company, with pretty much standard tanks - on the GW site, and the Armoured Battlegroup, which contains FW stuff like Bombards etc. which is in one of the Imperial Armour books. (i think)

Aaron M
14-08-2006, 15:06
The Armoured Battlegroup list is in Imperial Armour Volume 1 from ForgeWorld. It's a slightly different list (that does include Armoured Fist Squads) than the Armoured Company list given on the GW site. I've never tried either of them out myself, so I'm sure someone who has can tell you the actual difference between them and the various pro's and con's of each.

Chaos and Evil
14-08-2006, 15:09
I think the armoured battlegroup is generally regarded as a 'better' list, due both to game balance & fluff.

Chris
14-08-2006, 15:40
The armored battlegroup list is from Imperial Armor Vol. 1. I like it better then the GW armored company list and the Mechanized doctrine because of it flexibility. You can take tanks and Armored Fist squads as troops, as long as you take a squadron command tank as elite (which lets you buy 0-2 tanks as troops) or a Armored Fist Command Squad (which lets you buy 0-6 AF squads as troops). It has lots of restrictions on what units you can buy and what slots they take up based on your HQ and elite choices and it has a Sweet Commisaar tank:skull:

neXus6
14-08-2006, 15:45
Yep I'm another firm fan of the Armoured Battlegroup over the Armoured Company. As Chaos and Evil said it's more balanced and more characterful. :)

Jedi152
14-08-2006, 15:46
And costs £50, as opposed to being free.

That's the major reason i'll always say the Armoured Company is better. :p

Aaron M
14-08-2006, 15:59
And costs £50, as opposed to being free.

That's the major reason i'll always say the Armoured Company is better. :p

Well, the phrase 'you get what you pay for' comes to mind !

MrMojoZ
14-08-2006, 16:44
Well, the phrase 'you get what you pay for' comes to mind !

Not if you have ever sat down and built lists with the two. What you can actually field is very similar with the two lists due to all the restrictions placed on the ABG. The two lists at the same point levels will give you roughly the same options. Also, one list is Chapter Approved from GW giving it more credit amongst some gaming circles. I'll stick with AC.

ReDavide
14-08-2006, 17:06
Armored Battlegroup can't field hellhounds. That's enough for me to decide.

Chris
14-08-2006, 17:38
Armored Battlegroup can't field hellhounds. That's enough for me to decide.

Not true as far as I know (I don't have my books handy). Hellhound is a Seige Tank and thus a heavy support choice, limited to 1 per HQ.

Puffin Magician
14-08-2006, 17:50
As said, the Armoured Battlegroup is the list contained within Imperial Armour Volume One, as opposed to the Armoured Company list compiled by GW.

And costs £50, as opposed to being free. That's the major reason i'll always say the Armoured Company is better.I suppose that means using a discarded Pepsi can as a proxy is "better" than a GW Land Raider kit then?

Not if you have ever sat down and built lists with the two. What you can actually field is very similar with the two lists...If you've ever sat down with both lists you'll quickly notice that only the Battlegroup allows you to field Medusas, Executioners, Manticores, Trojans...

Hellhound is a Seige Tank and thus a heavy support choice, limited to 1 per HQ.You would be correct, sir.

I also third Chaos and Evil's sentiments towards the Battlegroup list being superior in game and background terms. Sure you need the hefty IA book to use it in games, but if you're serious about the Imperial Guard and their tanks then you'll probably want the book anyway.

Jedi152
14-08-2006, 18:44
I suppose that means using a discarded Pepsi can as a proxy is "better" than a GW Land Raider kit then?
I prefer the comparison of a plastic toilet seat to a solid gold one.

:p

Gen.Steiner
14-08-2006, 21:03
I prefer the comparison of a plastic toilet seat to a solid gold one.

Hey - if solid gold bog lids are good enough for tinpot dictators, they're good enough for me!

Armoured Battlegroup is indeed in IA vol 1 and does indeed rock socks.

However, true Guard loonies will have an Armoured Battlegroup list... and an Armoured Company list. :D

Simsandwich
14-08-2006, 21:07
Hey - if solid gold bog lids are good enough for tinpot dictators, they're good enough for me!

Armoured Battlegroup is indeed in IA vol 1 and does indeed rock socks.

However, true Guard loonies will have an Armoured Battlegroup list... and an Armoured Company list. :D

You being that "True Guard Nut" I Presume?

Guard are my favourite army behind Orks.

Gen.Steiner
14-08-2006, 21:08
Curses! Unmasked! If it hadn't been for you pesky kids... :cries: :p

Yeh, "Battlegroup Steiner" and an Armoured Company. Lists only at this stage, but ... oh, the plans, the plans!

Simsandwich
14-08-2006, 21:11
Curses! Unmasked! If it hadn't been for you pesky kids... :cries: :p

Yeh, "Battlegroup Steiner" and an Armoured Company. Lists only at this stage, but ... oh, the plans, the plans!

Where would we be without half baked "OMFG THIS ARMY WOULD ROOL" Planz eh?

-Steel Legion, like Real!
- 180 Grotz dude!
- Pure Grey Knights!

And The Rest/

Gen.Steiner
14-08-2006, 21:59
Ah, but all my plans are being worked on as we type... :evilgrin:

Just ask the, er, ten different types of Guardsmen in my collection. :angel:

MrMojoZ
14-08-2006, 23:13
If you've ever sat down with both lists you'll quickly notice that only the Battlegroup allows you to field Medusas, Executioners, Manticores, Trojans...

Those don't change change the fuctionality of the list enough to make what I said wrong. The lists aren't diffrent enough to make the ABG as good as some of you people are making it out to be.

Gen.Steiner
14-08-2006, 23:54
Actually, they are.

The AB can take six Armoured Fist squads if it wants - the AC can only take three, and loses its Fast Attack options if it does that. For example.

marv335
14-08-2006, 23:57
having studied both lists, i'm going to have to say i prefer the IA1 list.
itjust seems to be a better concieved and written force.

Gen.Steiner
15-08-2006, 00:03
This would be because it is. It's a proper all-arms battlegroup as used by sensible armies in the modern world. If you wanted you could use that list to represent a late WWII armoured/mech inf battlegroup.