PDA

View Full Version : Orc unit choice

UltimateNagash
14-08-2006, 16:05
I'm starting an Orc and Goblin army, and wondering what's going to be better (I know all about new rules coming out etc.).
Two units of Orc Boyz (you can't stop me buying them), and then something else. What would people suggest (and not Wolf Riders, they come in the army deal)?
Please help, as I want to sort this out soon (like next couple of days at the latest).

Livington
14-08-2006, 20:31
well. i dont know all of the new rules, but i can give you an idea of what to think of.

orc boys are a must, i use 2 units of 20

black orcs are a strong hitter, good for taking on those enemy elites.

wolf riders are a must in every army. best fast cav in the game, hands down. i use 2 units, one spears and one bows to harass skirmishers and lone characters.

night gobbos.. my favourite gobbo. if you use these guys, use lots. with the new boxed sets comming out, you will save a lot of money since they come with netters and fanatic parts. a few units of these guys will have you off to a good start.

war machines, take some spear chukkas
rare/special choices, i use a pumpwagon and a few other toys such as squigs.

dont ask me about tactics, i am too lazy to go through it all. but those are units i enjoy playing with. look nice on the field too.

also, i try to use units that you dont see too often. gives a sense of fun and difference to the game. (trolls, squigs, crazy things...)

Shimmergloom
14-08-2006, 23:09
Don't bother with chukkas, as they will very soon be one per special slot.

Just not worth it.

I wouldn't buy common goblin infantry. 4pts vs 3pts for a night goblin. I know which I'd want. Plus there's no new common goblin models coming out right now, but I would bet they would be out eventually. Wait for them to come out before spending tons of money on models that will be much larger than the night goblins around them. If you don't see news of new goblin models by the end of the year though, I would just go ahead and buy the current models. But that's only if you want to pay 4pts(you need the shield) for something that's worse than man at arms and doesn't have a halberd.

You need larger than units of 20 for orcs. You need 24-30.

DeathMasterSnikch
14-08-2006, 23:15
You need larger than units of 20 for orcs. You need 24-30.

I agree, I recomend getting more boyz, can't go wrng with em ;)

UltimateNagash
15-08-2006, 11:47
Three units of Orc Boyz then?

BTW, I only have £50 to spend on them at the moment.

Ryss
16-08-2006, 22:59
Don't ever go below 25 orc boyz in a regiment... and have at least two of them, but go for three (personally i love them and got 112 of them and tries to field as many as possible ;) ).

Wolfriders are a must against fast units that might ruin a charge or whipe a unit, so field two of those.

Nightgobbos are my second favorite after common Orcs, i use them as a shield for my Orcs so my opponent will think twice before charging (fanatics is a must!:D ).

Blackorcs, love them too, not much more to say. ^^

Wolfchariots are also lovley, chep, expendable, fast and hits hard.

Also, remember to have lots of bosses so you can have a decent ledership, so go for bosses rather than shamans, thought shamans can do some nasty things too (try to have atleast one in your army).

UltimateNagash
17-08-2006, 10:24
Since you get lots of Night Gobbos, Wolf Riders, and some Black Orcs in the new box set, I'll be getting all of those together.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
18-08-2006, 14:11
Well if you will be buying the start box I would advice you to buy an box extra boyz and some of the current fantatic's( just because these look more dynamic then the new ones). Or you can maybe buy the skull pass box then you will have almost a 1500pts army I think.

Greetz
G