PDA

View Full Version : A Little question about power armour

Steel_Legion
14-08-2006, 19:17
Well this seems the best place to put it, my question is firstly what is the "latest" power armour used by marines? as looking about i noticed 2 different leg styles, several different chest styles etc, is there a "current" type to use in an army (i want to go for a strict marine army, all the same) and was wondering if anyone could shine some light, also do they still sell any Mk4 power armour anywhere? the ones with what looks to be pointed platemail as the feet like on the Emperors champion. As i would love an army of these

librerian_samae
14-08-2006, 19:20
The current 'latest' mark of power armour is mark 8 otherwise known as 'errant armour'

Some guy (UK)
14-08-2006, 19:41
Try here:

http://hem.passagen.se/tunih/W40KStoryandNecronSite/W40k-fiction/fiction/history.htm

Hope that helps :)

Later, Some Guy

Mechanicus
14-08-2006, 19:45
Errant armour has an armoured collar, and no visible cables/pipes sort of things on the stomach area, IIRC. It has an Eagle chestplate, legs with separate kneepads, and a head without a beak. The armoured collar goes all the way round, so that the respirator on the front of the helmet is not visible.

Minister
14-08-2006, 19:53
It is also common for those MK/6 armours still in use to have the uper portion of the chest covered with additional armour, in a simmilar manner to the Mk.7. The different style of cabling is still notable, though.

Goq Gar
15-08-2006, 15:24
Kind of a little stick on to the thread, what about the shoulder pads? Theres been a few models of them too, is it the studded one thats most modern or...?

Minister
15-08-2006, 15:50
The studded one was used during the Heresy, and is seldom seen these days. it is concidered inferior to the more recent ones.

If you are using the studded pads, they should be on the left shoulder, and the right plain.

rickie8437
15-08-2006, 17:13
the studs where for adding a sheild plate to the shoulder to act as more potection as the fire as for mk 4 armour i have got the red scorpions upgrade from forge world and the black templars have mrk 4 on the upgrade (doing sons of horus army)

Minister
15-08-2006, 17:53
They were used on all marks throughout the heresy, and were originally universal on the Mk.5, because sub-standard materials were being used, and added bulk was placed on the shoulder which would be placed to the front when firing.

Kage2020
15-08-2006, 18:04
...And amusingly, all power armour seems to have the protective capability of Stormtrooper armour from Star Wars. :D

Kage

Minister
15-08-2006, 18:06
What, varies wildly depending on the requirment of the plot, and always seems to be ignored completley when a main character is on the other side?

LarryS
15-08-2006, 18:40
The mark 8 armor is the latest design, campaign wise, but most suits are a mix of Mk 6, 7, and 8 parts, since it is easier to replace components than entire suits. Also, different chapters have varying stockpiles of armor parts and access to production facilities. Finally, older suits & pieces are awarded as battle honors in many chapters.

Studded shoulder pads and greaves date back to the Mk 5 suits (heresy armor) and Mk 6 suits (beakies!!!). Manufactured w/ inferior materials, the studs were added to reinforce weaker plates. No longer standard issue, but possibly awarded as battle honors or as part of a suit of artificer armor.

Chaos forces usually have Mk 5 & 6 suits for the older legions. Renegades have whatever they were issued when they turned. Other chaos marines have whatever they could steal, salvage, or manufacture themselves so their armor tends to be WAY non-codex...

LarryS
15-08-2006, 18:42
Oh, as for sisters of battle and inquisitors in power armor....posers and wannabes!:p

Lord Dante
15-08-2006, 23:58
In some of the HH books it talks about how the marines armour 'powers up' - They can wear the armour but the full benfits of its power systems only seem available to SM due to thier enchancements - So I guess SoB and Inq dont really get the full benifit of Power Armour.

I wonder if there are different grades of Terminator armour or is terminator armour the same since the HH ?

jimbobodoll
16-08-2006, 00:06
In some of the HH books it talks about how the marines armour 'powers up' - They can wear the armour but the full benfits of its power systems only seem available to SM due to thier enchancements - So I guess SoB and Inq dont really get the full benifit of Power Armour.

I wonder if there are different grades of Terminator armour or is terminator armour the same since the HH ?

No way Jose... just look at your grey knight pic and compare it to any other termie armour... :D

devolutionary
16-08-2006, 00:12
I think Termie Armour is on it's fourth version now. There was a site with the full history of termies, somebody probably has it lying around.

Kage2020
16-08-2006, 13:30
Lucky that they keep on finding those terminator STCs... Erm, hang on, but terminator armour never really had an STC, at least that covered its current use! ;)

Kage