PDA

View Full Version : What do Nurgle worshippers think of their appearance?

Bronka
14-08-2006, 23:45
Do they actually enjoy looking like a cat that's shat itself inside-out? Or do they find themselves repulsive, but are willing to endure it for Father Nurgle? Or, do they not notice, not care, or whatever?

It would take a hell of a lot of brainwashing for me to believe that being 'Mr Buboe' was a good idea.

nurgleman
15-08-2006, 00:42
Why I do not see anything wrong with my apperance or other nurgle cultists.

(Nurgle Worshippers don't notice their ugliness)

Qwerp64
15-08-2006, 03:15
Since nurgle is the god of decay, and they worship nurgle, they embrace their "changes". They wish to become decay incarnate, full of disease and filth. Because of their absolute dedication to this, it really doesn't matter to them the way they look like. Besides, so long as the Deathguard serve nurgle, they won't suffer a long and extremely terrible death by his diseases already running rampant through their bodies.

Wazzahamma
15-08-2006, 03:45
From what I remember- the Deathguard kind of hate that they look the way they do and are plague ridden (since they were once so proud of their resistance to that sort of thing). So, now they attack healthy and clean citizens of the Imperium out of pure jealousy and spite.

Sikkukkut
15-08-2006, 03:47
I've always thought that while some might actively enjoy and embrace what's happening to them (there's definitely a streak in the Nurgular background that supports that), the state of mind that leads one down that path in the first place will mean that by the time you're marked by your decay you'll be considerably past caring about anything much, be it your appearance or the state of your soul.

Malphax
15-08-2006, 03:50
In a word? "Meh."

Death Guard being a notable exception (damn you Typon!), pretty much every Nurgle Cultist knows what he's getting into when he signs up. I mean, these guys are willingly trading personal appearance, hygiene, any trace of a social life, and often their sanity for horrifying resilience and extended lifespan. I figure most of them just write it off as a good trade.

When Black Roses Bloom
15-08-2006, 06:32
Actually, most people think that Mortarrion and his Death Guard knew what they where going to face when they entered the Eye and embraced Horus as the true Emperor. The truth is that only Typhon (or Typhus) knew the full glory (or should we say gory) of Father Nurgle gifts. When they fled to the Eye after being crushed to the Terra battle, Death Guard became full aware of the gifts bestowed on them: Deformities, third limps, pestilence and the such struck the entire legion. Death Guard screamed to Nurgle to free them from this curse but as it is reffered in the codex "In a twisting sense of humor Father Nurgle bestows even more deseases to his favorite army". Some times these diseases are fatal even for the standard Death Guard marine, turning him into a Plague Bearer or a mindless zombie warrior (those few that lack the stamina to withstand the most horrible of the deseases).

The only one strong enough, who knew the full consequences of the up-rising against the False Emperor, was Typhon, who became the Herald of the Destroyer Hive, when actually, he consumed the whole disease that struck his Battle Barge the "Terminus Est", and survived. Since then he travels to and fro the Lands of Men spreading the disease. By this way he wan his nickname "The Traveler - Herald Of Nurgle". But enough with history lessons.

On topic now: Who says Death Guard marines can sea each other? :chrome:
Do they have eyes? And if they do, do you think that they are still located on their face, or even on their heads? :P

rickie8437
15-08-2006, 07:23
would you say that they are a hit with the ladies lol

i read in one of the blood bowl books that the people where normale just like any of use and you would never know that they worshipped nurgle but the spread there deise through sex (sti) and poor simon sherwood got one and then dies lol

Sugacane
10-05-2007, 12:06
Screw you guys. The Deathguard are hotness incarnate.

0ld1eye
10-05-2007, 12:13
aren't nurgle worshippers meant to ignore their bodies/appearance/armour, and let nurgle do whatever he likes to them?

erm... well. you know what I mean. not... rape. or anything. um.

Iracundus
10-05-2007, 12:34
One needs to look beyond just the "disease" bit of Nurgle. Nurgle is about despair and the futility of trying to fight against entropy. As mentioned in the Liber Chaotica and I think the even older Realms of Chaos books, the true follower of Nurgle feels their appearance is more "honest" to the truth of matters and so don't care about looking nice. Beauty and one's appearance are only fleeting masks next to the inexorable progression of time, entropy, and disease. Normal people fight this even though they in some part of themselves know it to be futile even if just intellectually. Nurgle worshippers have accepted this futility at all levels and derive their energetic "cheerful" personalities from freeing themselves of the futile struggle.

0ld1eye
10-05-2007, 12:36
see?

nurgle ftw.

Adra
10-05-2007, 17:01
always figured they saw themselves as beautiful. living icons of nurgle. his glory made manifest in flesh and bone. maybe they know that to mortal eyes they are discusting, but to their patron god they are his beautiful children, so i always figured they liked looking the way they do.

Wraith
10-05-2007, 17:44
I think they take a nihilistic view point -- "what we are you will inevitably become".

It is then that they laugh at anyone looking 'healthy/young' because they are deluded and will eventually despair as they grow old or become sickly or both.

The triumph they might well display is that Nurgle grants them increased strength from the effects of entropy rather than growing weaker as would normally happen.

They think their appearance is a triumph because it is so at odds with their obvious power.

heretics bane
10-05-2007, 18:12
the death gaurd didnt really want to be horrible mutated they where tricked by typhus when the destroyer fleet attacked and only by offering up his own souls and his legion could mortion actuly save his legion and none of the legions really thought that when they joined horus they would be mutated

ryng_sting
10-05-2007, 19:18
Nurgle promotes extreme conservatism in his devotees. He encourages them to find comfort within their wretched state than seek relief from it. Nurgle devotees see their wasted bodies (and nihilistic outlook) as 'honest', and as something all other beings should aspire to -forcibly or otherwise. They aren't faking: they are genuinely proud of their appearance and gifts. Mutations, as is normal among Chaos worshippers, are seen as gifts from the gods, and a sign of their direct approval.

Fulgrim's Gimp
10-05-2007, 21:35
When the Death Guard changed on route to Earth their resilience was turned against them so that all they new was despair and wished others to share that state.Liber Chaotica also alludes to the idea that Nurgle worshippers become their diseases rather than the affected flesh.

Champsguy
10-05-2007, 22:02
"I'm rich and I'm dead sexy. Get in my belly!"

Nazguire
11-05-2007, 00:43
Nurgle is the God of Decay. As such, if you worship him you know what you are getting into. You're going to be full of diseases and look like a walking corpse (which in all essence, you are)

Those that know about Nurgle (as opposed to the Death Guard who were blissfully ignorant (asides Typhon/Typhus) of the true nature of Nurgle) know full well what happens and enjoy it. If you're beautiful and young, you're still going to die and grow old so what's the point? Might as well be ugly and immune to all diseases and sicknesses and live forever then be beautiful, healthy and sane and still die.

The Death Guard were an exception. They didn't actively try and become the Plague Marines that they became. Typhon tricked the Legion, led them into a Warp storm and then the Destroyer Plague attacked the ship.

Mortarion didn't cry out to Nurgle specifically. He cried out to the Warp and 'something answered'. Since he didn't believe in the Emperor's divinity or power or whatever, he did the only thing that made sense to him at the time, ask the Warp for help (whether he fully believed in the Warp as a powerful entity or home to entities is another thing entirely) That something was obviously Nurgle.

theunwantedbeing
11-05-2007, 00:59
Nurgle embodies decay and corruption.
Without being a physical manifestation of that yourself how can you show the greatness of father nurgle to those you come into contact with?

I cant really see anything being a greater honour for a nurgle worshipper than to be the first to get a specific disease and be the one who gets to spread it around.

Cal9ar
16-05-2007, 01:04
They think they are the holiest things in the universe.....
ofcourse they like how they look.

bigred
16-05-2007, 04:49
From a lot of the background stuff going back decades, we get the tale of Nurgle being the manifestaion of Mankind's tough resolution and ability to strugle against death, destruction, and hopelessness. That little core inside every man that knows he is mortal, that he will become frail and wither, but that despite it all, drives an individual to never give up... that is the true spirit of Nurgle.

So what you see are his diseases and followers spreading through the galaxy not merely to strike down the great and mighty, but to inspire that "change of heart" in mortals, driving them into Nurgle's ever-welcome arms.

The Liber Chaotica makes an astute observation: One's soul can only be freely given to a Chaos power, it cannot be "taken" agaisnt its will. Volition is the integral part of the path to damnation.

In the case of Nurgle, the Rot (among many other of his diseases) is the primary method of conversion. It is a disease of the soul, not the body, that has no cure and slowly day by breaks breaks down the soul as well as the body. Wracked by pain, filled with horror and self loathing, the victim watches his body be reduced to ruin, a shell that should be dead but still walks... until he is eventually shunned or exiled by his peers. Forced to flee for survival, the wretch slowly breaks down from the strain, and even the mightiest at some point call out to a higher power to save them. It is at this moment, that Nurgle accepts their soul, and gives him his favor.

Freed from the physical pain and suffering, effectively immortal, Nurgle's champions are fully aware of the horrible bargain they have made. They are full of the grief of what befell them, but in their hearts they know that they made the choice to end their suffering via a deamonic bargain.

And they at long last become the manifestation of Nurgle. Utterly resolute to continue on their path, never lying down, and persevering for all eternity in the face of their utter ruin and physical corruption. Their only remaining consolation is the spreading of their affliction to others, so that they as well, will know the true power of the Lord of Decay.

-bigred

CrimsonTider
16-05-2007, 12:16
But then we also have this little gem from the current chaos codex: ""The servants of Nurgle cry out to him to rid them of the gifts they so blatantly invited when they turned to worship him, and he takes great sport in prolonging their suffering through the granting of yet more of his marks."

So, it seems to me that some (such as the Death Guard) after prolonged exposure to Nurgle's "gifts" and having seen the obvious disregard with which Nurgle regards their suffering, have taken the view of continueing to suffer in silence lest they are further blessed with another mark, thus increasing their suffering.

Kind of like the belief that you shouldn't say "My life can't get any worse.", since it will invite further clamities upon you to prove you wrong.

Iron Father
19-05-2007, 03:36
I was alway sunder the impression that nurgle cultists are like the fat, smelly gamer in the shop. Reaks of B.O., and covered in pimples, hasn't bathed since they were children... and even then who knows....just doesn't seem to notice or care.....