PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf confusion

Powerslave
15-08-2006, 01:41
Returning to WFB.
Did the dwarfs get two seperate army books during 6th?
If so, why?

It also looks like they have two different regiment sets out as well.
This one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-Dwarf-Warrior-Regiment-GAW-84-06_W0QQitemZ8803941690QQihZ005QQcategoryZ44128QQss PageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And the current one on the gw site:
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=301705&orignav=300976&ParentID=256104&GameNav=13

What's the story? Think I like the older ones better. Any reasons I shouldn't track down those stunties?

Thanks!

SON OF LION
15-08-2006, 01:54
They did get two army books. One towards the start of 6th edition and another one towards the end of 6th edition. Why, is a good question since I didn't think my Dwarfs really needed it but it is appreciated since there are some well-needed changes. I'm guessing that the reason is that they needed an update but since there were no real major changes to how the army works, they decided to make it earlier rather than wait for 7th edition. Also you would be perfectly set up to launch 7th ed since the Orc army book comes out just after it is released and you don't need to wait two months to see the dwarf army book after it has been in white dwarf.

The new plastic set is one of those new range "dumbing down" kits GW seem to like to make. Easier to assemble and group as a unit and it looks more cohesive but at the expense of making them look like they came off an assembly line. They just don't look as good as the old ones as far as I am concerned. Longbeards are the perfect examples. The old ones were cool, the new ones have an ugly faceplate over a normal dwarf clansman and are painted in gold.

Harry
15-08-2006, 03:15
Obviously you should get the older metal longbeards...best dwarf minis ever. The problem with the last dwarf plastics is if you have any other dwarfs these look a little small next to them. With the new plastics they are a little chunkier and will sit more comfortably next to any metal minis you may have. Also the x-bows look much better and the handguns were not a plastic option at all previously. So if you have niether go for the newer ones ...although I imagine you'll pick up some older ones giong fairly cheap on e-bay now the new stuff is out.

snurl
15-08-2006, 10:41
Dwarf minis are everywhere. Avoid older dwarf minis with spears, since spears are not an option in their newest army book.
There are dozens of dwarfs on e-bay.

Powerslave
17-08-2006, 01:07
Three other questions.
I recall way back in the day there was some kind of catapult that flung goblins. Anyone have a picture or know where to get one?
Also, how many types of gyrocopters have there been? I'm not a fan of the new blimp looking one.
Finally, speaking of blimps, there were some war balloons in Man'O'War. Where there ever any in WFB?

Thanks ya'll!

Erestor
17-08-2006, 01:28
I think there are two Gyrocopters. personally, I like the current one much better than the older one, but it's a taste thing.

You are thinking of the Gob - lobber. It's no longer produced, check out online auction sites, one will turn up eventually. You could use it as a gudge thrower, rules wise.

Sadly no balloons in WFB, no reason you couldn't make one though, be a cool gyrocopter if on the correct base size....

snurl
17-08-2006, 07:24
There were 3 versions of the gyrocopter. I've got them all.
There was another variant made by Harlequin - now at black tree design.
You can see the Citadel versions at www.solegends.com , look under citadel in the manufacturers index.

The Goblobber can be bought from GW-UK mail order, i got one for christmas last year. It's a re-issue in pewter, the old one was lead, the only difference being the dates on the slots at the crew's feet are obscured.