PDA

View Full Version : Starting Chaos need help

karnn
15-08-2006, 07:39
Hi Iím starting my second army for Warhammer fantasy. My first force was orcs though I didnít get far as I found they just were not my type force.
Anyway I have chosen to make a 1000 point Chaos army as I wanted an easy to paint, very small army and I love the fluff, stories and Hero and Core models for chaos so I have decided on them.

Now I have some issues which I am hoping with your help I can clear up. First I am not sure what God to choose as my patron god or to go as undivided which kinda bores me I wanted to go all in on one god. Could someone please tell me some pros and cons and a small overview of the four gods.

Also what type things should I buy in a 1000 point army and how to I overcome the issue of no shooting?

And lastly how did you come up with the fluff, ideas and inspiration for your army.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Neknoh
15-08-2006, 07:42
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934

I think you'll find that thread helpful

karnn
15-08-2006, 08:27
cheers, I was reading your first post and i will get to the rest in time it's 17 pages lol but Iíll get through it.

Now before I chose my list I need to choose my god I have looked over your bit on the four and undivided and I just can't choose like if I go Undivided I can have 2 gods in one army as long as it's not Nurgle and Tzeentch or Khorne and Slaanesh. I love no adore the model for the Slaanesh champion on foot and will if anything use that but I really prefer all the gods apart from Tzeentch.

Slaanesh I like because of well I think even I would fall to his side as he is god of Pleasure and I think it would be easy to fall to his aid.

Nurgle I like as it just sounds strong and I picture them as walking tanks slow but powerful.

Khorne well what is not to love about crazy warriors launching them selves at the enemy and who have the ability to cause real real damage.

Is there anything further you could suggest on those 3 gods as well as undivided

Pravus
15-08-2006, 09:03
As a corrollary, you can have both Khorne and Slaanesh (or Nurgle and Tzeentch) in the same army - to do it, you need an undivided general. Then, as long as you've got a unit in your army with the same mark, you can have a hero with a specific God's mark - for example;

Interesting Version
Borgaz McChoppy, Lord of the Chop, is a Chaos Lord marked by Chaos Undivided. In his army he has two units of Chaos Warriors; one marked by Khorne and one marked by Slaanesh. Normally they'd be at each other's throats, but Borgaz is SO choppy, they behave themselves, limiting their conflict to insults about the size of their axes and comments about "peaking too early". What's more, because he has these two units in his army he can employ Leonard the Lacivious, Aspiring Champion of Slaanesh and Keith ARRGH-ARRRGH-KILLKILLKILLKILLKILL, Aspiring Champion of Khorne.

Rules Only version
An undivided general can include units with any mark in his army. In order to use heros with any mark other than undivided, he must have a unit with the same mark in his army i.e. for an undivided general to employ one or more heroes of Khorne he must have at least one Khorne marked unit in his army.

der_lex
15-08-2006, 09:57
For a thousand point army, I wouldn't go for anything marked myself. You simply won't have the points for it, since Chaos units are expensive enough as it is.

Luke
15-08-2006, 10:07
Agreed.

Fill up a special slot with a big beefy beastherd, but only take minimum Gors (5) as you will use this unit as a meatshield. (however beastheards can hold their own in combat but that is a different story)

Go with One unit of 15 Warriors (3 ranks of 5) of chaos armed with 2 hand weapons and hide them behind the beasts. Because this unit is so expensive (even with marks) its never going to win on combat res so you need as many attacks as possible. When you get them in combat they will cause the damage but only if they have the charge and are fighting at full strength so keep em safe.

The bulk of your core choices should be maruaders for various economic reasons. They are cheap and stupidly effective. Marauder horsemen are also sex so get at least one 6 strong unit of these to tie down warmachines and deny rank bonuses etc.

I never get why people take more than 1 hero at 1000 points, such a waste. Just stick with one Hero choice, your call. Saves the points to be spent elsewhere.

Trust me, beasts is the only way you are going to get your army across the field reletively intact so always take at least one herd. Plus the foe-render is probably the best unit champ in the game (although you pay throug the nose for him)

attached is the picture oif my last battle line. Note the cheese-string along the front. kept ALL of my chaos boyz safe from dwarf fire.

karnn
15-08-2006, 10:20
So a beat herd, at least double sqauds of maruaders to warriors and how can i have a unit of Khorne warriors and a unit of Slaanesh warriors with only one Hero choice lol, looks like i either go for 1 or 3

Khaane
15-08-2006, 12:01
Personally I would start up by making the army generic, ie painting in a standard colour that can be used by any of the gods and then try each one out and see what you prefer to play with.

If for example you paint a unit of Chaos Warriors silver with black cloaks and such, you can use as any type of unit to start with. Then when you decide what you really want them as you can paint the black an appropriate colour, like red for Khorne/purple for Slaanesh

der_lex
15-08-2006, 12:22
If your general is Undivided (ie has no mark), troops in your army can have any mark you want. But do realize that in 1000 points you won't be able to have more than one Warrior unit, and you won't really have the points to give them any mark whatsoever.

I kind of agree with the beastherd (I don't play beasts in my army myself, but that's more of an aesthetic choice), but I'd consider taking a block of 5 knights or even Chosen Knights instead of chaos warriors, and relying on two big chunky blocks of 20 marauders on foot as infantry. 5 marauder horsemen with flails and a musician (a sixth is a waste of frontage, and a standard/champ is a waste for a throwaway unit) will be good for baiting and flank charges. Add an aspiring or exalted champion and possibly some Furies for taking out mages and war machines, and you're good to go.

If you do take Chaos Warriors, give them halberds to make sure that they're actually able to kill things. Regular hand weapons won't cut it, and great weapons are a waste of their good initiative.

TheWarSmith
15-08-2006, 14:34
Buying marks isn't really that expensive. 20 points for MoT, 10 for MoS.

I'd buy 2 boxes of chaos warriors, 1 beast herd, field them exactly as they come with full command and run the warriors 6x2. Eventually you may be an extra box or 2 to add more units/ranks.

Find a suitable exalted champion you like, pick up a sorcerer(mark him, chaos magic is too good) and you're good to go for 1000 points.

Luke
15-08-2006, 14:42
Man that is hella slow, I know because thats what I take. You need some warhounds or marauder horsies or something! Somethimg fast and nippy to keep back untill your WoC get into combat.

TheWarSmith
15-08-2006, 15:02
Yeah, marauder horsemen or furies would do it.

I would suggest mounted daemonettes or screamers, but he hasn't chosen a god yet.

karnn
16-08-2006, 08:24
I have decided either Slaanesh or Nurgle only because I love the look of green and silver or purple and silver. The lord of change I would have also kept but I here itís a hard army to use in its much smaller so Slaanesh or Nurgle.

I would like to have less Marauders that a lot of you suggested I would prefer chaos warriors
thanks so far everyone

der_lex
16-08-2006, 09:46
The problem with Chaos is the expensive troops. Since you need a good variation of units (especially with some faster units thrown in) you'll be able to take about one unit of Chaos Warriors, tops, if you want to have enough points left for cavalry, screen units and possibly war machine/mage hunters (all things a good Chaos army needs to survive). A nearly all-Chaos Warrior army might sound cool, but in practice it's too slow and is often unable to pull off the combined charges that will get you the victory.

And what's that about the lord of change? I hope you don't mean the Tzeentch greater daemon, since you can't even use that in 1K... (takes up a lord slot).

ebolatheripe
16-08-2006, 09:54
I have decided either Slaanesh or Nurgle only because I love the look of green and silver or purple and silver. The lord of change I would have also kept but I here itís a hard army to use in its much smaller so Slaanesh or Nurgle.

I would like to have less Marauders that a lot of you suggested I would prefer chaos warriors
thanks so far everyone

Either Slaanesh or Nurgle are good choices. To decide between the two, you should consider the look of your army, which color range you like best, and style of play.

Black + Earth tones= Browns & Greens (Nurgle)
or
Black + Pastels= Purples, Pinks, pretty much any light color (Slaanesh)

You have to like the look of the minies a lot so decide which models you like best.

Consider your decision about the overall look of the models available to that army against the style of play.

Slaanesh has great speed in Mounted Daemonetts and the Steed of Slaanesh, one of the best magic lores in the game (manipulates your opponents units) and immunity to Psychology for its marked troops. Most consider it to be the best all around Marked Army and magic lore availible to a Chaos General.

Nurgle units and characters are very tough, and hard to kill. Marked units causing fear is very useful but mean they need to be of a larger size to make sure your opponents auto run when they lose a round of combat. Some claim the lore of Nurgle to be great others say it's poor. Probably depends how many levels you take and what you use it fore. Nurglings are great tar pits. The Great unclean one is rated poor because it is just too slow to make up for it's points cost.

I would consider the look of the army to be the most important point. Hope that helps:) .

karnn
16-08-2006, 10:39
When i said lord of change i actualy meant the god Tzeentch.
Well ok i made up a small 1k list a try for Slaanesh

Hero: Exalted Chaos Champion- Shield, Sword of Might, Armour of Damnation and mark of Slaanesh.
Hero: Chaos Sorcerer- Lv 2 and mark of Slaanesh.
Core: 11 Chosen Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh- full command, shield and this is unit Exalted chaos champion will be in.
Core: 16 Chaos Marauders- Full command, shield and light armour.
Core: 16 Chaos Marauders- Full command, shield and light armour.
Core: 5 Marauder Horseman- Full command, throwing axes and Flails.

Total: 992 points
This leaves me with 8 points. Would it be bettet to have an Exalted Chaos Sorcerer instead of the Sorcerer and the Exaclted chaos champion?

Luke
16-08-2006, 10:48
Pretty sound list. A tad slow. Why do you want the sorceror? For those points you could get a beastheard and ensure your mortal units reach combat unharmed. In 1000 points magic is teh lose, dont worry too much about it I say.

der_lex
16-08-2006, 10:56
An exalted sorcerer is a lord choice, so you can't take one.

My opinion on the rest:

- Chosen warriors are way too big a points sink in a small game. You are putting all your eggs into one tiny 11-man basket this way. I'd turn them into regular chaos warriors, give them either an additional hand weapon or halberds (keep the shield against missile fire, though) and up their number to 16 or so.

- One unit of marauders will be fine. You're better off investing the rest of the points into a Beastherd or some Furies and a Spawn. Maybe put your champion into the Marauder unit for some extra oomph and leadership.

- Full command on Marauder Horsemen is a waste, since they're a fragile (sacrificial) unit that is only used for flanking and or/ baiting (being the target of your opponent's charge and then running away, leaving your opponent vulerable for a countercharge by your own forces). Just a musician will be fine, to help them pass those inevitable rallying checks. Flailes are an excellent choice, but due to range and damage limitations I personally think that throwing axes are a steaming pile of poo.

karnn
16-08-2006, 11:22
Hero: Exalted Chaos Champion- Shield, Sword of Might, Armour of Damnation and mark of Slaanesh.
Hero: Chaos Sorcerer- Lv 2 and mark of Slaanesh.
Core: 12 Warriors of Slaanesh- Shields and 2nd hand weapons.
Core: 16 Chaos Marauders- Full command, shield and light armour also this unit is what Exalted champ will be in.
Core: 5 Marauder Horseman- Flails.
Special: Beast Herd- 10 Gors 8 Ungors, Full command, shields.
Rare: Chaos Spawn

Total: 995

Neknoh
16-08-2006, 11:42
what I miss in that list is another four Marauders (easely done using a Large Monster Base and scultping a small filler on it)

karnn
16-08-2006, 12:05
Oh and to tell u why i decided to use a magic user is beacuse chaos has no shooting so i needed to hit them with something

Neknoh
16-08-2006, 12:24
Looking closer at that list, I'd drop the Sword of Might and the Shield from your Exalted and replace them with a Hallberd, that way, you'd earn enough points to buy you those four extra Marauders.

Also, I'd dabble in removing the Mark of Slaanesh from your Sorceror in favour of a Musician for your Horsemen, also, a Standard wouldn't be wrong on those Warriors, now, you've used those twenty points, the Lore of Shadow or Fire would be much more useful with only two levels of magic, imagine your Exalted flying off to take out a warmachine or something similar. You'd also save a few points if you used a Bray Shaman with the Bray Staff instead, he would also add some punch to the Beastherd, and allow you to join the Exalted into the Marauders.

Let's not forget the fact that you are tying up eight points in something which you won't ever get to use, the Shields on the Ungors, I'd remove those shields (and Gors should use Additional Handweapons) in favour of a Musician for your Warriors, nothing is more annoying then when your Warriors loose combat by one aggainst weakling enemies.

You could actually even drop the chieftan from the Marauders in order to free up some points.

Now, let's see...

Chieftan for Marauders -10 pts
Mark from Sorceror -20 pts
Sorceror to Bray Shaman with Braystaff -4 pts
Sword of Might and Shield -22 pts
Shields from Beastherd -8 pts

That is another 64 pts
Total pts left: 69

Hallberd for Exalted +4
4 Marauders to the unit +28
Banner and Musician to Warriors +18
Musician for Horsemen +6 pts
Fiend of Slaanesh to Spawn +15

That list is now 1002 pts and a lot more effective

karnn
16-08-2006, 12:48
Woops my warrior allready had full command sorry, um i just added up the list and now i have 1002 points
list is

Hero: Exalted Chaos Champion- Halberd, mark of slaanesh and armour of Damnation.
Hero: Bray Shaman- Braystaff and Chaos armour.
Core: 12 Warriors of Slaanesh- Shields, 2nd hand weapons and full command.
Core: 20 Marauders- Musician and Standard
Core: 5 Marauder Horseman- Musician and flails
Special: 10 gors- 8 ungors Beast Herd- Ungors still have shield all Gors have 2 hand weapons and full command.
Rare: Fiend of Slaanesh "Chaos spawn"

How can i get rid of 2 points

Luke
16-08-2006, 12:51
drop a gor and take another ungor?

der_lex
16-08-2006, 12:53
If you're putting your Exalted Champion in the marauder unit anyway, you could always drop one of them. 19 marauders and an exalted champion is still a 5 rank block. That way you could even give the exalted his shield back.

EDIT: or do what Luke says and still drop a Marauder to add a Marauder champion to that unit. That extra attack may not seem like much, but since hardly anyone targets unit champions seperately when they charge you, it's at least one character that will always be able to hit back.

Neknoh
16-08-2006, 13:00
This is where I disagree with you lex, by keeping the Marauders at twenty, he can send off the Exalted Champion using Steed of Shadows from his unmarked Bray Shaman to take out Warmachines, lone characters, Fast Cavalry and Skirmishers. I also have the policy of never replacing a R&F troop with a Hero, due to the fact that you simply might want to deploy the hero in another place a second game

der_lex
16-08-2006, 13:50
Right, I forgot he switched to shadow lore instead of Slaanesh.
I tend to stick my characters into units and keep them there, so that's why I always drop the extra R&F character. That and it's more visually appealing than having a large, impressive-looking block of troops with one straggler running behind them...

"Try to keep up, Bob!"

karnn
16-08-2006, 22:26
Ahhh thanks so far guys that was my final Slaanesh list i'll tackle a nurgle list now then we can decide which one is better which will help me choose what force

karnn
17-08-2006, 12:55
Here is a Nurgle 1 k list please help me make this better. I tried to make it that I could just buy the box sets so it is even no adding. Also add what list you think is better the slaanesh or this and what you think I should get thanks a lot guys.

Nurgle list try 1
Hero: Exalted Chaos Champion- Halberd, Chaos steed, mark of Nurgle and armour of damnation.
Core: 20 Marauders- Full command, light armour and shields.
Core: 5 Marauder horseman- Musician and flails.
Core: 12 Chaos warriors- Mark of Nurgle, shield, full command and war banner.
Special: 4 Bases of Nurglings.
Special: Beast Herd with 8 ungors and 7 gors- 2nd weapon and full command.

Total 1000 points

Slaanesh final list
Hero: Exalted Chaos Champion- Halberd, mark of slaanesh and armour of Damnation.
Hero: Bray Shaman- Braystaff and Chaos armour.
Core: 12 Warriors of Slaanesh- Shields, 2nd hand weapons and full command.
Core: 20 Marauders- Musician and Standard
Core: 5 Marauder Horseman- Musician and flails
Special: 9 gors- 9 ungors Beast Herd- Ungors still have shield all Gors have 2 hand weapons and full command.
Rare: Fiend of Slaanesh "Chaos spawn

der_lex
17-08-2006, 13:29
They both look all right, although Nurgle might be slightly less effective because ear is only really good if your unit is biogger than the opponent's unit, which it will almost never be. Still, I'd so go with whatever list you'd think is the most fun to play.

karnn
18-08-2006, 07:20
anyone else?