PDA

View Full Version : Are IG becoming more popular than SM?

Bingo the Fun Monkey
15-08-2006, 09:52
I always see/read that space marines are the most commonly played force out there. Yet, in my area I only know of one SM player and a number of IG commanders (including myself). When building a list to take to a local shop i plan on facing a horde than power armoured meanies. Even here on Warseer there seem to be a lot more. Or am I blind or (un)lucky?

Griffin
15-08-2006, 10:00
Lucky if you ask me.

Goq Gar
15-08-2006, 10:04
I have yet to meet a Guardsman player who didnt at one point collect marines. I have yet to meet a Tyrannid player who didnt try to dissolve my organs with his bile either <_<

Baneboss
15-08-2006, 10:12
There are many IG players in my area (including me). Second army after SM. To be different you just need to collect another regiment. Everyone collects Cadians while i went SL.

Scythe
15-08-2006, 10:12
Well, I feel guard numbers are rising the last few years. Especially the release of the plastic cadians (finally) boosted the IG numbers a lot. Good development if you ask me, but still their numbers are way behind compared to marines.

Gen.Steiner
15-08-2006, 10:21
In answer to the question:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA A no.

Goq Gar
15-08-2006, 10:24
In answer to the question:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA A no.

I was going to post that, but then I thought... Ive got a feeling Steiner's got it covered, lets just wait and see.

Now I sit here and eat cake, and watch as my master plan unfolds! Ha... haha... haa hAH HA AH A AHA HAHAHHAA MWAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!AAAAAAH!!!!! !!! aaah...

<_<
>_>

*Twiddles thumbs Idly*

Minister
15-08-2006, 10:46
At the local club, the 40K consists of:

Bloody Rose
Martyred Lady
Cadian
Cadian
T'au
Salamanders
Space Wolves
'Nids (not painted, let alone a specific hive fleet)

I'm going to have to bust out the ol' Orks at some point. This is getting silly.

Colonial Rifle
15-08-2006, 11:47
In sales terms they are meant to be 3rd most popular, so not so much of a surprise that you have a lot of IG players.

Plastic Cadians are a God send. If GW do plastic greatcoats then IG will go through the roof! ;)

xibo
15-08-2006, 11:47
Local Players play:
Black Templars x3
Blood Angels x4
Dark Angels x2
Space Wulfs x7
Generic Space Marines ... and thou shall not be counted :D
Eldar x6
Guard x5
Tau x4
Demon Hunters x4
Chaos x3
Orks x3
Necrons x3
Bugs x2
LatD x2
Dark Elves x1
Sisters x1
Kroot x1

Goq Gar
15-08-2006, 12:01
Full tally:

Me - Tau, orks
Chris - Space wolves
Ryan - Former ultra marines now Chaos turned thingymajigs
Alex - Dark angels
Oscar (but he doesnt count... because he's oscar) - Tau
Derek (stock owner) - Iron warriors

aaaaaaaand some guy who never plays tells us he has eldar. But... lets be honest, Eldar? pfft. <_< *dodges bricks*

Hey! *whoosh* come on! I was kidding! *smack* Oh for god sakes what is this Timesplitters 3!?

(TS3 rules. Pay homage to the brick, he is your master)

Master Jeridian
15-08-2006, 12:02
To be different you just need to collect another regiment. Everyone collects Cadians while i went SL.

I don't really like this attitude TBH. If your different, it's only in having more disposable income than most 40k gamers.

Buying an all metal army is expensive, buying an all metal horde army is financially crippling.

Many people collect the Cadian models not just because they look good, but because they are the only affordable army.

Besides where does this elitism come from? Are all Eldar armies the same because they all use the Guardian models, or all Tau armies for using the Fire Warrior models?

Anyway, the original question- no-where near as popular. It must just be a local anomaly- be thankful for your luck. A place where Mortars, Grenade Launchers and Flamers are actually useful- heaven.

Goq Gar
15-08-2006, 12:06
Yes... Unless its a Heavy flamer or skorcha and youre against an all scout army... that was a fun day.

Ironhand
15-08-2006, 13:09
Heh, I've got four IG armies - an Armoured Company, Cadians, Steel Legion, and Catachans.

Contrary to some people, who apparently only play 40K at tournaments, the mix of races in any local store is more diverse than you would imagine.

WolfofMibu
15-08-2006, 13:22
Our local community has:
Me: World Eaters, Tau
Bill: Tyranids, Night Lords, Grey Knights, IG Armored Company
Scott: Eldar... zounds and zounds of Eldar
Dean: All four colors of Chaos.
Dean's two daughters: Dark Eldar, Tyranids (Ever had a 10 year-old kick your ass with a bug army?)
Sam: Orks, eventually
Rob: Necrons, sort of (army is in disarray, never plays by the right rules anyway)

I occasionally see other players who I don't really know all that well. I think I saw a Guard army recently.

Chris
15-08-2006, 14:55
There are two guard players in our group.

Me: A small Cadian list that I'm converting to an armored regiment, Starting some Vostroyans, plenty o' Space Marines, half a tau army, man I need some focus
Guy 1: Guard with a smattering of all things imperial
Guy 2: Dark Angels and orks
Guy 3: Tau and Chaos Tzentch (1k sons)
Guy 4: Sisters
Guy 5: Chaos (lots of everything CSM), Starting Black Templars
Guy 6: Nids, Crons, Eldar, Starting Black Templars
Guy 7: Eldar, Crons, Tau, has also purchased Sisters, Dark Angels, and nids (buys every army on ebay, is crazy)

Colonel_Kreitz
15-08-2006, 18:41
Plastic Cadians are a God send. If GW do plastic greatcoats then IG will go through the roof! ;)

That's really what did it. "Back in the day" (making sound older than it really was. Realistically, about 6 years ago when I started IG) there really weren't that many IG players, or at least not in my area. I suppose the rather high cost of metal infantry and (to a newbie) bewildering range of completely different regiments (Cadians, Mordians, and Catachans, oh my!). The only plastic alternative were the plastic catachans, which I hypothesize was a deterrent to new players, rather than an attractor.

After the new Codex and the plastic Cadians came out, IG realy exploded in popularity. I still have a taste for the metals (especially the Mordians, old Cadians, Steel Legion, Valhallans, and even the new Vostroyans), but I too have plastic Cadians, for cost effectiveness.

And I agree, another plastic regiment would really promote the IG's popularity. I don't anticipate it in the very near future though, both because there have been no new announcements and because I imagine shelf space would be problematic.

kanluwen
15-08-2006, 18:50
You know, the reason it may account for so high in sales is because you have to buy so damned many of the buggers :P

I know for a fact that I'm the only one who plays a Cadian list using emplacements and an actual theme, rather than tanks to get rid of Marines and the like. Plus I find Plasma Guns not that fun...

hellfire
15-08-2006, 19:01
If they did do a new plastic regiment I wonder which one it woulld be

I've never even played IG but I've only played like twenty games so...
played plenty of marines though

Chris
15-08-2006, 19:10
And I agree, another plastic regiment would really promote the IG's popularity. I don't anticipate it in the very near future though, both because there have been no new announcements and because I imagine shelf space would be problematic.

Well, if they ditch the plastic catachins there'd be room on the shelf. I'm holding out a litte hope for something great coated and gothic in plastic when they get around to redoing the guard codex.

Forces Unknown
15-08-2006, 19:29
Armies of all the players I know...

Myself - Cadian Imperial Guard and Vostroyan Imperial Guard.
Al - Dark Eldar, Tyranids and Eldar.
Mike - Imperial Fists.
Ross - Alpha Legion Chaos Space Marines and Daemonhunters.
Nick - Tyranids.
Steven - Tau.
Alex - Steel Legion Imperial Guard.

However, the Medusa V sites list of battles per faction is probabily the best guidance there is on amount of players who (primarily) play each army. That would put Guard at 3rd most popular after Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines.

Colonel_Kreitz
15-08-2006, 21:07
You know, the reason it may account for so high in sales is because you have to buy so damned many of the buggers :P

Even if you compensate for the disproportionately high sales they experience, due to high model count, there are actually a very large number of IG players. For example, in Medusa V, IG is the 3rd most popular army (behind Marines and Chaos). Or at least, they have logged the 3rd highest number of battles, which is a good indicator as such.

Hicks
15-08-2006, 21:26
I'm my gaming group we have only one Marine player and 2 Chaos. Including myself there are 2 IG players. I play with Steel Legion figs and the other guy uses Cadian models, so our armies at lest don't look too much like the same.

primarch16
15-08-2006, 21:32
Actually we barely have any SM players at my store, we have eldar, nids, dark eldar, orks, necrons, deamon hunters and there are more IG players than there are marines. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, but I do miss smashing power armour up...

Baneboss
15-08-2006, 21:34
I don't really like this attitude TBH. If your different, it's only in having more disposable income than most 40k gamers.

Buying an all metal army is expensive, buying an all metal horde army is financially crippling.

You dont take into accout i could buy it second hand. Even if you cant you can work hardly to get the money to buy them. I hardly see any elitism in that. Just because i invested quite a lot of money and time (i collected them 1.5 year) in my army does it make me a show off already? Its my only army atm and i bet i havent even spent half the money on GW than most people here. Ofcourse some people like to judge without knowing the details.

Cadians arent all that bad to convert. You can make practically every regiment from them with a little time and green stuff. Lets ofcourse not forget about Catachans whose are as cheap as Cadians too.

UnRiggable
15-08-2006, 23:21
A lot of beginners play Space Marines, and I haven't used this site until about two years after beginning to play (so about 2004, 2005, but back then it was portent). By then I was past space marines and I was just buying things for the sake of painting them.

Chem-Dog
16-08-2006, 04:33
In answer to the question, yes IG are becoming more Popular than Marines, the Last poll I could find here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=363329#post363329) shows that out of 333 people only 4 more people voted Marine than did IG. It seems that many people stick with the Imperium but change from Marines for Guardsmen so it could concievably be possible for the IG to be a more popular choice than Marines.

ESPECIALLY if/when they bring out the Greatcoats.

Colonial Rifle
16-08-2006, 10:33
Thinking about it, there are two possible IG plastic kits that would seriously boost sales - greatcoats (with optional Valhallan or Steel legion heads) and/or Mordians (with some praetorian bitz). I'd be all over these in a heartbeat and would definitely add a platoon of each.

I'd guarantee they would sell better than the Catachans (what a bizarre choice for the first plastic IG since RT!?) :)

Baneboss
16-08-2006, 11:16
Maybe with 5th edition we will get IG in the main box instead of SM? Ahh dreams...

Bingo the Fun Monkey
16-08-2006, 13:14
Oh, it was the cadians, huh...
...and I thought it was because 'guard were simply the best army out there. I personally have SL (it was a love at first sight during armageddon). Never won a game, but i love the little buggers.

I think that the guard sales are going up not only because of the cadians, but also because of their sheer collectability (for those people who can afford it...unlike me :(). All the metal guard are beautiful miniatures, and the cadians are pretty flavorful considering they're plastic.

scavenseer
16-08-2006, 13:33
Ig are more poular withy those who can play the game and understand the rules in full. Marines are bought mainly by children as their first army or by parents who dont know any better.

Vanger
16-08-2006, 14:21
You know Dr Spock from the Battle for MacRagge box? Give him a lasgun and a hat and voila! There you have your greatcoat IG :)

scavenseer
16-08-2006, 14:23
You know Dr Spock from the Battle for MacRagge box? Give him a lasgun and a hat and voila! There you have your greatcoat IG :)

The last time i tried giving one of my models a greatcoat (commisar hark), he ended up looking like dirty old flasher!!:eek:

Mrlemonjelly
16-08-2006, 15:03
Most people I know collect Marines, or at least own some:

Marines: 3 (including me)
Orks: 1 (Err ... me)
Tyranids: 2
Imperial Guard: 1
Chaos Marines: 1
Necrons: 1

Then again I don't play warhammer with a large variety of people. It seems to me that Marines are as popular as ever, anyhow.

Promethius
16-08-2006, 17:22
Well, I've played guard for many years, and they have always been popular around my area. I had a metal cadian army for many years (3000+ points!) which then became a catachan army when the 3rd ed 'dex came out, and then thankfully became a cadian infantry regiment when those absolutely gorgeous new cadian plastics appeared. I have a platoon of praetorians around somewhere also. Guard are always going to be popular because they are easy to relate to (being the closest thing to 'normal' blokes), have lovely conversion opportunities and the sheer range of regiments allows plenty of customisation.

Incidently, I also have an ultramarines army, Imperial Fists and Alpha Legion. I have about 500 points each of Tau and Orks as well! My brother has 2000 of Eldar (the Jes Godwin classics!).

Scythe
17-08-2006, 09:25
In answer to the question, yes IG are becoming more Popular than Marines, the Last poll I could find here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=363329#post363329) shows that out of 333 people only 4 more people voted Marine than did IG. It seems that many people stick with the Imperium but change from Marines for Guardsmen so it could concievably be possible for the IG to be a more popular choice than Marines.

ESPECIALLY if/when they bring out the Greatcoats.

Well, the warseer members might not be the best representation of the general gw audience. Still, I recon Guard popularity is growing.

Also, to add another factor to the equation: I think imperial armour also helped increase the guards popularity more as other armies. After all, who doesn't drool over all those forge world tanks?