PDA

View Full Version : Drop-pod army, worth the cost?

Shadow-raven
15-08-2006, 11:23
I got a friend that swear that a drop-pod army with a series of termies and librarians +assault cannons probably is the best army list, but the list he proposed to me looked like it was VERY depending on the enemy for effectiveness... what do you think?

Goq Gar
15-08-2006, 11:30
... I dont see how the termies would do well, seeing as my choppas give them all 4+ saves.

The librarian, meh, he's bound to fail a 4+ save some time witht he amount of men I'll attend to his destruction.

Also, that army would be so ridiculously outnumbered by me he'd be hard set to pull a minor victory out of it. Numbers do not make a battle, unless you're a 3 inch tall pixie battling the entire Blood angel chapter armed only with a shiny stick and pixie dust. In which case yes, the numbers are kind of tipped against the pixie.

grg3d
15-08-2006, 11:30
Well are you putting the termeis in the drop pods? or somthing else?
They can deep strike so it might be a wast to do so.
Ass cannons only only have a 30" range(with movement) so a longer range shooty army could out shoot you, Eldar ,Tau, IG are the ones that come to mind.

Goq Gar
15-08-2006, 11:32
But no army I know could deal 200 wounds in 1500 pts (my army).

salamandercaptain
15-08-2006, 11:36
I once had a normal librarian survive 2 lazcannon blasts and 63 lazgun shots- 60 from a 30 strong conscript platoon, in one turn. He only had normal armour as well.
Sadly he didn't fair as well against lazgun shots 64-70 but is was quite funny seeing an entire flank shoot at one guy and only just succeed.

Shadow-raven
15-08-2006, 11:39
Well... he's putting the termies in drop-pods cause he ment that he then didn't need to roll to get them into the board... and the other reason is because he wanted to use the wrath of the emperor power (fear thingy) and that when he use drop-pods he could deploy within 12" and take cover behind the pod and then use the power...

Goq Gar
15-08-2006, 11:40
hee hee, like my Fire warrior who proceeded to, no joke:

After having his entire squad ahniahlated, being bonded, regroup and march back into the fray, fire 6 shots in the last 3 turns of the game, killing 3 marines and of course, Ryan's lucky helmetless Space marine captain. (Its always been said that a space marine commander should always wear a helmet as the risk of sniper fire is so high against him). And despite his 2+ armour save, managed to fail two wounds and fall flat on his face.

PS2 Fire warrior style? Heck yes!

Shadow-raven
15-08-2006, 11:42
I once had a normal librarian survive 2 lazcannon blasts and 63 lazgun shots- 60 from a 30 strong conscript platoon, in one turn. He only had normal armour as well.
Sadly he didn't fair as well against lazgun shots 64-70 but is was quite funny seeing an entire flank shoot at one guy and only just succeed.

eh... 2 lascannons with power armour? did you have cover or something? because that's instagibb, man... meaning you instantly die... as long as they hit that is... cause if they didn't hit that don't count as surviving two blasts...

marv335
15-08-2006, 12:01
the drop pods allow the terminators to land closer to the enemy taking some of the risk out of deep strike.
as to the librarian, adamantine mantle/ones to wound would explain it.

Kahadras
15-08-2006, 12:49
I've never really been keen on the idea of drop pods. I always see them as a bit random. The idea of reserve and scatter rolls means that units can turn up late or out of position. I prefer to start the game with most of my stuff on the table. If I am going to DS stuff it will probably be Terminators using the teleport homer to minimise problems.

Kahadras

Dawn of the Dogs
15-08-2006, 13:29
drop pods are an effective means of creating a firebase behind your opponents, getting at the rear armour of a vehicle or getting shots off at an enemy unit that's behind cover.

played smartly, an all drop podding army can be quite nasty.

on that note, i do have a 1000 point drop pod marine army :D

salamandercaptain
15-08-2006, 19:44
eh... 2 lascannons with power armour? did you have cover or something? because that's instagibb, man... meaning you instantly die... as long as they hit that is... cause if they didn't hit that don't count as surviving two blasts...

Oops my bad, did he had a Salamander (adamantine) mantle as well hence why not instant killed.
It still took 30 rapid firing conscripts
1 full command section inc a lazcannon
1 squad lazcannon (rolled first)
4 lazguns with LOS, 4 shots not taken from same squad to kill the guy.

I can't remember how many saves but is was about 1 and a half handfuls- lucky to wound rolls.

Wraithbored
15-08-2006, 19:56
It may be a fun army to play, but playing against is another matter getting 2 librarians with FotD and booing your army off the board is quite easily achieved with non marines.

But it can also be risky as your army may arrive squad by squad. Also the drop pod is free VP's for your opponent now since it counts as imobilised.

Shadow-raven
16-08-2006, 12:41
BTW. where is the rules for drop-pods located?
Might have been an idea to know Exactly how it works before I meet them in battle...

Carnelian
16-08-2006, 13:19
In the Space Marine codex. According to the new Space Marine codex F.A.Q., you give 15vp to your opponent when you use a drop pod because they are immediately immobilised.
This isn't major drawback but it is fairly odd. Drop Pods are designed for dropping

Mrlemonjelly
16-08-2006, 15:10
I tried this the other day, in a 2000pt battle against IG.

I took a 10 man anti-tank dev squad, a land raider, 5 snipers, and a predator and sat them at the back of the board. I deep struck 2 dreadnaughts, 2 10 man tactical squads, one with a master, a terminator chaplain with 7 terminators (teleporting, though), and a land speeder typhoon.

I massacred them rather a lot, although i didn't notice the 3 rapid-firing plasmaguns and 3 meltaguns (2 veteran squads) hiding in a building near to my terminators, and lost all 7 of them the turn they arrived.

The best victory was the lucky lascannon shot in the first turn which destroyed his leman russ. I also managed to destroy his demolisher in the 3rd turn, before it had even shot.

So in my opinion, they work quite well, and I will be making some cardboard drop pods in order to use them again in the future!

Carnelian
16-08-2006, 17:30
<weeps>
it seems so wrong that tanks can be taken out in a single shot sometimes...

dark angel
16-08-2006, 17:41
goq gar stop braggin my guard army could make short work of you army so stop bragging aout it

anyway

hmm i dont know seen as droping a whole army of marines into a group of nids dosent seem wise so id have to say its not a very good idea

Grotsnik
16-08-2006, 18:31
Nids and other fast assault armies can be a problem for drop pod armies.
However, using the DPs as cover along w/ terrain can increase the arriving units surviveability.

The ability to mass fire on priority units plus land basicly where you want is a massive advantage in most games. Especially any involving objectives.
Against low morale armies 1 or 2 Libs w/ fear make for a very short game. Have wiped out 1850 Tau armies in 3 turns before, mainly by running most of their units off the board. :D

Bloody Gauntlet
16-08-2006, 20:22
One word: No.

Because you have no command over the time of arrival for the drop pods, it all comes down to luck. If you're a gambler, ok, if not ...

Kahadras
16-08-2006, 21:26
Note the new Marine FAQ which gifts your opponant VP for every drop pod you use. So now not only do you have to content with reserves and scatter your also have to give away 'free' VP as well. not good IMHO.

Kahadras

[SD] Bob Plisskin
17-08-2006, 00:27
The only thing I ever drop pod is a dread with assault cannon to make mincemeat of a big threaty tank, or chuck it in amidst a horde army to slow them down. It will always die but it does double its points back at least and forces your opponent to re-think. For me I like to keep dreads cheap as they're made of paper so to add range to them is not wise IMO (eg lascannon/ML etc) and neither is walking them up the entire battlefield.

Sian
17-08-2006, 07:37
Note the new Marine FAQ which gifts your opponant VP for every drop pod you use. So now not only do you have to content with reserves and scatter your also have to give away 'free' VP as well. not good IMHO.

Kahadras

Actually the new Marine FAQ asks two questions here in regards to drop pods:

Do drop pods count for automatic 15VP for the opponent

AND

Are immobilized hits on drop pods upgraded to 'weapon destroyed' hits.

the FAQ's answer?

"Yes."

lack of polish much? it doesn't state which of the two questions it answers, and is therefore completely useless. Until it's clarified, I say throw it out. It's perfectly reasonable for Immobilized hits on drop pods to count as Weapon Destroyed. but which question are you answering, GW?

Bloody Gauntlet
17-08-2006, 08:38
Actually the new Marine FAQ asks two questions here in regards to drop pods:

Do drop pods count for automatic 15VP for the opponent

AND

Are immobilized hits on drop pods upgraded to 'weapon destroyed' hits.

the FAQ's answer?

"Yes."

lack of polish much? it doesn't state which of the two questions it answers, and is therefore completely useless. Until it's clarified, I say throw it out. It's perfectly reasonable for Immobilized hits on drop pods to count as Weapon Destroyed. but which question are you answering, GW?

Obviously both. Compare other FAQs, they often do it this way.

Shadow-raven
27-08-2006, 14:47
If I din't read wrong somewhere I thought that an imobilised object that holds no weapons and then get imobilised, wich with drop-pods mean weapon destroyed, (wich it don't have) means that it is destryed and you get full VP for it. but does the model still stand or do you remove it from game?

and another thing, if you use drop pods in an Imperial fists army, could you use lysander's ability to drop them in all at once or does he just help when deep-striking termies etc...? (don't have the codex here at the moment)

VetSgtNamaan
27-08-2006, 17:34
Well yeah drop pods are good for my deathwing. As for the best army ever no that they are not. The point of drop pods of course is you can put them in tight quarters and have them autocorrect so they land safely. You pay for th precision really. I know alot of people talk about the VPs but honestly I can not recall that last time that made a difference. Deathwing is a tricky army to use, but I love it and it sure can lay down alot of firepower. Of course any army used correctly is very dangerous so really the biggest factor is the player not really the army.

Kahadras
27-08-2006, 18:48
I know alot of people talk about the VPs but honestly I can not recall that last time that made a difference.

It's everything else as well such as the reserve rolls and the possibility of scatter. This combined with the fact that you are giving away free VP and the model counts as imobilised in the latest FAQ also serves to make them a less atractive proposition than before.

Kahadras

Bloody Gauntlet
27-08-2006, 21:20
If I din't read wrong somewhere I thought that an imobilised object that holds no weapons and then get imobilised, wich with drop-pods mean weapon destroyed, (wich it don't have) means that it is destryed and you get full VP for it. but does the model still stand or do you remove it from game?

You only remove vehicles if they explode.