PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt Dwarf Army

fmatgnat
16-08-2006, 18:09
Hi all! I haven't played Warhammer for about 7 years now, but I've been getting that bug to jump back in (partly due to the new 7th ed. stuff). So I picked up the recent Dwarf book, and this is the army I plan on buying. It's character heavy in order to reduce the number of models I need to buy. At this point I think all I need -- combined with older minis -- will be 1 Dwarf Warrior box, 1 Dwarf Thunder box, and 1 Skull Pass box.

Any comments are welcome for my proposed "new beginning" list, thanks!

-= Heros =-

1 Dwarf Lord (w/ Warriors): 245
- Shieldbearers, Rune Axe with Kragg the Grimm and Snorri's Rune, Gromril armor with Rune of Stone

1 Dwarf Thane (w/ Ironbreakers): 115
- Battle Standard, Gromril armor with Master rune of gromril

1 Engineer (w/ Boltthrowers): 84
- Great Axe, Handgun

1 Runesmith (w/ Warriors): 127
- Shield, 2 x Rune of Spellbreaking, Rune of Stone

1 Dragon Slayer (w/ Slayers): 50
- AXES!

-= Core=-

14 Thunderers: 220
- Shield, Standard

12 Quarrelers: 178
- Great Axe, Rangers

22 Warriors: 223
- Shields, Full Command

-= Special =-

14 Slayers: 181
- Giant Slayer, Standard

14 Ironbreakers: 212
- Full Command

2 x Boltthrowers: 105
- 1 Engineer

-= Rare =-
Organgun : 120

Gyrocopter: 140

Total: 2000 points

edit: removed the individual costs of upgrades

TheWarSmith
16-08-2006, 19:05
First off, ya got 5 characters there. You're only allowed 4 in 2,000 point games. Probably dump the slayer, but up to you.

Looks like you're making a list based off of the models that you own given the odd numbers(sorry if i'm mistaken).

Cut range troops down to 10. You rarely get shooting lanes wider than that.

Drop the warriors down to 19-20(19 if you wanna put a hero/lord in there)

Swap out the organ gun for flame cannon or grudge thrower.

Sorry for being so brief. I'm at work, just giving quick advice. I'll edit it and make notes later if possible.

jahorin
16-08-2006, 19:28
also, you are not allowed to post individual point costs for ugrades, read the sticky for more details.

fmatgnat
16-08-2006, 19:38
First off, ya got 5 characters there. You're only allowed 4 in 2,000 point games. Probably dump the slayer, but up to you.

Whoops! I love the engineer models, so I guess I will drop the slayer.

You're right that my units are based on the models I have available, but I'm not fixated on that, just thought I'd start with it as a base. And most of the units, despite the add numbers, will rank up nicely (5x5 for warriors, 5x3 for ironbreakers, 6x2 for rangers, etc.).

Thanks for the reply!

---------------The changes, as suggested---------------------

-1 Dragon Slayer --> +1 slayers = -39 points
+6 Thunderers (2 units of 10) = +60 points
-5 Warriors (20 w/ lord & runesmith) = -45 points
Organgun --> Flame cannon = +20 points

Total: 4 points left

ExquisiteEvil
18-08-2006, 02:33
Whoops! I love the engineer models, so I guess I will drop the slayer.

Use the model as an engineer 'upgrade' on an artillery unit rather than a master engineer.

---------------The changes, as suggested---------------------

-1 Dragon Slayer --> +1 slayers = -39 points
+6 Thunderers (2 units of 10) = +60 points
-5 Warriors (20 w/ lord & runesmith) = -45 points
Organgun --> Flame cannon = +20 points

Total: 4 points left

Cool - I would say run the thunderers with shields - for an extra point per model a 4+ save in combat is far better than the 6

fmatgnat
18-08-2006, 19:47
Use the model as an engineer 'upgrade' on an artillery unit rather than a master engineer.

That's a good point -- the engineer is a lot just for the BS5 upgrade. And I do like the idea of a lone dragon slayer protecting my flanks/rear from flyers etc., so it may be worth adding him back in.

Master engineer -> engineer upgrade = +69 points
+1 Dragon slayer = -50 points
+shields for 2 x 10 Thunderers = -20 points

Total = 1997 points

ExquisiteEvil
19-08-2006, 01:49
That's a good point -- the engineer is a lot just for the BS5 upgrade. And I do like the idea of a lone dragon slayer protecting my flanks/rear from flyers etc., so it may be worth adding him back in.

Master engineer -> engineer upgrade = +69 points
+1 Dragon slayer = -50 points
+shields for 2 x 10 Thunderers = -20 points

Total = 1997 points

Looks good - now your thunderers can double up a semi decent combat units and you have a 'flyer hunter'.

Keep the slayer out of sight of missile units though - Under the new 7th edition rules lone characters can always be picked out!