PDA

View Full Version : army builder question

yohanes13
16-08-2006, 21:05
no idea where to put this but im trying the demo for army builder and theres no ig doctrines is there a way to get them?

ReDavide
16-08-2006, 21:22
Go to the Roster menu, and then select "Change Rules".

That is the way to access the subset factions for all the major races (like Eldar craftworlds, Chaos cult legions, and IG with doctrines).

I'm not positive it's enabled in the demo version, but it probably is.

UnRiggable
16-08-2006, 21:26
Where do you get the army builder cd anyways?

ReDavide
16-08-2006, 21:28
Where do you get the army builder cd anyways?

A lot of independent gaming stores carry it. I'm not sure about GW retail outlets, but I suspect they don't.

Or you can purchase the program online from the Army Builder site (www.wolflair.com) and download it. This is the best way to get the free demo version as well.

Ravenous
16-08-2006, 21:33
Your best bet is not bother with army builder it has way to many holes.

Such as somehow getting a T7 daemon prince with a 4+ invulnerable save without The Glaive or Cursed crozius.

Just use Word. It lets you know your own list better rather then depending on a machine to know for you.

ReDavide
16-08-2006, 22:13
I'll have to disagree. I've been using it a long time and have only ever encountered 2 holes, both of which were easily noticeable and correctable by hand after printout. Definitely better than, say, the GW-produced Interactive Army List. Plus, the 40k files actually get regularly updated with bug fixes! (again, in stark contrast to certain other programs). I've mainly used the Eldar, Chaos, and Imperial sections. Perhaps other ones have more bugs.

It's dangerous to rely on if you don't know your own codex, but if you are familiar with your codex, it's a nice easy way of quickly experimenting with new list setups. Now and then one of them turns out to be illegal, but that's just a small fraction.

It also has the benefit of being a format that other people are used to and can therefore read quickly. That makes it ideal for taking to tournaments and other places where strangers will be looking at your list. There are as many different types of Excel lists as there are gamers who use them, which can make them pretty confusing at times. :p

disclaimer: the above only applies to the 40k files. Some other file sets (BFG) are buggy, woefully incomplete, and rarely updated.

Ravenous
16-08-2006, 23:03
True enough. It is a useful tool if you are toying with stuff. I sometimes forget that not everyone manages to memorize most point values and rules(although at times foggy if I havent read it for awhile) for every army like myself :/

If it works for you and your comfortable with it use it.

Kamin_Majere
16-08-2006, 23:09
i agree, i despise army builder. its just always annoyed me to death for some reason. Codex pen/pencil and paper, or a nice codex and computer typie program. Best way to make army lists.

I want people to have to learn how to read a codex before i want to play them seriously.

I have met a few people that havent as much as cracked the spine of their codex ((or worse yet havent even bought one)) and try to play with just the army builder list... and then AB gets something wrong and even though i tell them about it i cant prove it due to the git doesnt have a codex... ergh!

Sorry army builder just happens to be one of my pet peeves:(

ReDavide
17-08-2006, 00:30
It is a useful tool if you are toying with stuff. I sometimes forget that not everyone manages to memorize most point values and rules(although at times foggy if I havent read it for awhile) for every army like myself :/

Oh I memorize them too. That's not the problem. The problem is adding up a gazillion little 10- and 15-point upgrades in my head, or bothering with typing everything out explicitly in excel.

Point, click, see results. Army Builder happiness. :)

marv335
17-08-2006, 00:36
i like army builder. it allows me to have clear, costed lists (which i keep in a folder in my army case).
when i play, my opponent can, if there is a dispute, look and see who has what.
it's not a substitute to owning a codex, but it's a handy tool to have at my disposal.

Trygon
17-08-2006, 01:27
do u think the army builder software is available for free on downloading programs such as limewire?

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 01:28
more then likely its also at wolfslair.com but is only a demo

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
17-08-2006, 02:47
@trygon-yes, you can get cracks for it.

muskrat
17-08-2006, 08:10
My only beef with Ab is that they charge for it.

I like free software, and feel that is how things should be, but especially with this:

AB uses the datafiles and such without permission by GW. Granted, it's no codex, but still, you can pretty much play a game with just a printalist. And they charge for it. I'm no fan of GW, but charging for a program based on things you don't own is a bit...gw-ish to me. ;)

Anyway, yes, Limewire, certain individuals and most other P2P sharing programs will have it, but be warned- always scan the file before unzipping. Hmm.

Could use that for a geek anti-STD ad. Scan before unzipping. hehe...

ReDavide
17-08-2006, 08:28
Last I checked, encouraging copyright breaches wasn't exactly within forum rules... :eyebrows:

AB uses the datafiles and such without permission by GW. Granted, it's no codex, but still, you can pretty much play a game with just a printalist. And they charge for it. I'm no fan of GW, but charging for a program based on things you don't own is a bit...gw-ish to me.You're absolutely right. They shouldn't charge for the datafiles because they don't own the information contained therein. But do they charge for them? No. Not only are the datafiles free, they're not even produced by the company that makes Army Builder.

What you pay for is the program that lets you conveniently create legible army lists from them. It took time to make, and its makers have every right to receive compensation for their work.