PDA

View Full Version : Undead Help (Mord)

Radical Inquisitor
16-08-2006, 22:07
Me and some friends are starting a Mordheim campaign. none of use have played before. I will be facing Shadow Hunters, Dwarfs, Reiklanders, Skaven, and Possessed. I am playing Undead and would appreciatte some tips on tactics.
I will field
1 vampire (sword, shield, light armour)
1 Necromancer
3 dregs (Swords)
2 Ghouls
1 Dire wolf
5 Zombies
Help will be appreciatted
Thanks!

snurl
17-08-2006, 08:10
Get more wolves as soon as you can afford it.

Keep your vampire back a bit so you can use him to get the kill after your fodder knocks an opponent down or stuns it.

Use 3 on 1 whenever possible.

Your vampire will soon be nearly unkillable.

Watch out for the dwarves after about 7 games or so.

warpscum
17-08-2006, 08:13
And when you can afford it, I'll change the Vampires Weapon to a Helberd (2 str 5 attacks, lovely!).

Darktheos
17-08-2006, 08:23
One of the campaigns I was in dude's vamp had 7 thoughness and 3 wounds he was a beast, so hard to kill. If you can try to make sure either the vamp or necro is alive if both die you are screwed.

Ravening Wh0re
17-08-2006, 15:10
I'd dump the shield on the vamp. He's tough, fast, has 2 wounds, and has light armour already. Most criticals ignore armour anyway.

Give him an additional hand weapon and he'll take down anything. Vamps are horrifically fearsome at the start and just get stronger.
I also think more attacks is better than higher strength. You have better chances of criticals and the vamp is S4 anyway.

Keep the vampire in cover and strike when the time is right. M6 is nothing to be sneezed at. Back up your charge with some dire wolves.

Oh, ghouls are excellent (and the only henchmen that can become heroes)

Radical Inquisitor
17-08-2006, 16:34
okay, thanks. We havent actually started yet so I will replace the Vampires sheild, is light armour worth it then? a 6+ save dosent seem to good.
I am worried about the shadow hunters, any tips?

Ravening Wh0re
17-08-2006, 18:59
Yeah, I don't think light armour is much worth it. The problem is it's very expensive.

But then again, it may help against all the S3 shots and punches going your way. It's certainly more helpful since you're T4.

I guess the 20gc will give you an extra zombie, and perhaps another sword for your vamp (yeah, lovely parries).

Urgh, Shadow Warriors. They're quite overpowered. Great WS, BS, I. So expect tons of bow shots and diving charges. Try and take as many out as soon as possible really. The warband is always quite small and you may make them bottle. Hug cover too.
You'll have to weather the storm of bowfire, but once you come in a horde he won't have too much in the way of options (apart from dying and running)

Oh, the first items you want to search for are LUCKY CHARMS. Mandatory for every hero :)

TKitch
17-08-2006, 22:56
ditch armor entirely, unless you can get Gromril & a shield later on the cheap. (a 3+ save is hardly something to laugh at here.)

Get two weapons on your Vampie, The sword plus another weapon. A Second sword is a waste unles you have expert swordsman, as you can only parry a single attack.

A Suggestion? Lose the zombies. QUICKLY. Don't use them, trade them for wolves and ghouls. Why?

The warbands you're fighting.

You've got 3 shooty bands up there (dwarfs, elves, reikies), two really fast bands (skaven and elves) and a brutal HTH warband (Possessed)

The max M4 undead dudes will cripple you. Lose them, and you'll do better.

Radical Inquisitor
18-08-2006, 03:17
I put in the zombies precisly because I am facing a lot of shooting armies. You have to shoot at the closest unit, correct? unless of course you are in a building , and I really cant see dwarfs climbing to much. with re-animate dead I can keep a body sheild in place for 1-2 turns while my hard hitters advance unmolested.
against Skaven and Possesed they are their to intercept charges and again act as a sheild for the rest of my troops. do to the fact that they cause fear they should be able to hold up the skaven, and at the very least not be bulldozed by possesed.

Am I missing something very important here??

Ravening Wh0re
18-08-2006, 04:27
I put in the zombies precisly because I am facing a lot of shooting armies. You have to shoot at the closest unit, correct? unless of course you are in a building , and I really cant see dwarfs climbing to much. with re-animate dead I can keep a body sheild in place for 1-2 turns while my hard hitters advance unmolested.
against Skaven and Possesed they are their to intercept charges and again act as a sheild for the rest of my troops. do to the fact that they cause fear they should be able to hold up the skaven, and at the very least not be bulldozed by possesed.

Am I missing something very important here??

The problem is that Shadow Warriors and Reiklanders will hurt you a lot with their shooting. Even if there are a couple of archers/crossbowmen on a raised area, they can target anyone in LOS.

And you don't get to choose the spell your necromancer comes with (unless you've already rolled for it)

Radical Inquisitor
18-08-2006, 05:31
that is true. but my necromancer will gain an advance after the first game I play
(iirc you get an advanece at 9 XP) and has a good chance of getting a new spell and even if I dont get reanimate with either roll call of vanhel would also be extremely usefull for speeding my advance. (besides I like Zombies O.K.):p
However I asked for help and if you guys think that my gc would be better spent elswhere I will take your advice.

Ravening Wh0re
18-08-2006, 18:50
that is true. but my necromancer will gain an advance after the first game I play
(iirc you get an advanece at 9 XP) and has a good chance of getting a new spell and even if I dont get reanimate with either roll call of vanhel would also be extremely usefull for speeding my advance. (besides I like Zombies O.K.):p
However I asked for help and if you guys think that my gc would be better spent elswhere I will take your advice.

No no! If you like zombies, by all means take them. They are rather good but just really slow. I was just saying that you may want to replace SOME of your zombies with something else (perhaps ghouls or wolves) for the time being because of the horrible shooting that will come your way. Just don't get too annoyed when a lot of your models are taken out (it's what zombies are good for :))

My Sisters have never lost a game APART from against Shadow Warriors and Reiklanders. Fear the shooting :(

Radical Inquisitor
18-08-2006, 19:01
I am not all that worried about the reiklanders, I have seen his list and he only fields 6-7 guys

I have amended my list slightly
1 vampire (2 swords)
1 Necromancer
3 Dregs (swords)
3 Ghouls
1 Dire Wolf
5 Zombies

rules querie, do ghouls and Dire Wolfs suffer from not being armed?
thanks for the help guys!

vampires are cool!
18-08-2006, 21:49
you may want to give your vampire some kind of ranged weapon asap

Ravening Wh0re
18-08-2006, 22:10
rules querie, do ghouls and Dire Wolfs suffer from not being armed?
thanks for the help guys!

Nope. Their hands and fangs don't count as unarmed :)

Remember, above all else, have fun!

Radical Inquisitor
19-08-2006, 00:45
Good, thanks I am relieved at that.
Why would I give my vamp. a ranged weapon, I would lose his advantages in speed, strength and, toughness.

meowser
19-08-2006, 03:30
you should max out your ghouls, in 2 henchmen regiments of 2 and 3 (splitting them up gets your promotions faster (in theory), just make sure 1 of each survives every game.

and drop the 2nd sword on your vamp, its not doing anything. a club is cheaper and more effective combined with a sword.

BLloyd607502
11-06-2007, 14:27
Try and get a fast moving band.
The one thing that no-one expects from the dead is speed so go for than.
Stock up on Ghouls and dire wolves and try and fird your dregs some war horses ASAP.
the funniest thing I have ever seen in a mordheim match was when my Brother (Dark elves) was fighting me.
A very small board based on a hamlet outside the city.
Last time we had battled I had had lots of zombies (I hen traded these in for a pack of ghouls right after our battle).
He set up his army in a thin line each with a repeating crossbow. Thought it would take me about 5 turns to get to him.
I was there in 1 turn with my entire war band and I had 5 ghouls on his hero.
The look on his face was priceless.

carik
11-06-2007, 16:13
Good, thanks I am relieved at that.
Why would I give my vamp. a ranged weapon, I would lose his advantages in speed, strength and, toughness.

Well... even with M6, it'll take you a turn or two to get into combat. There's also the problem of snipers -- if your opponent gets someone on top of a building, it's nice to be able to shoot back, even if only occasionally. Personally, I'd try to find GC to give each of your heroes a bow, but I'm an elf player at heart...

Etienne de Beaugard
11-06-2007, 23:26
Well, my suggestion for a starting warband is

Vampire (free dagger, hammer) - 115
Necromancer (short bow) - 40
3 Dregs (short Bow) - 75
2 Ghoul - 80
2 Dire Wolves - 100
6 Zombies - 90

But then again, I'm primarily a skaven player who goes for numbers. You warband is OK. Just don't to two swords, you only get one parry IIRC.

As to Tactics:

*Against the Shooty: Most players expect one of two things, a charging vampire and wolves backed up by a second wave of lumbering undead flesh, or a slow mass of assault. A lot of shooty players will set themselves up with great lines of fire and killing lanes to thwart that advance. So, don't advance. Hide. Cower. Do it in cover with those neat little H markers next to your guys. Suddenly, your shooty enemy has no targets. Force your enemy to advance on you. When your opponent finally gives up and tries to slog it into foot combat, engage him with your zombies. When his cleaver counter attack hits, pounce on that with your Vampire and any wolves you have.

*Against the Speedy (Skaven) - If your skaven player is worth is rat-food, you'll be outnumbered, and everyone but your vampire and wolves will be out-maneouvred. If you run out your vampire and wolves to attack, they'll get swarmed by as many rats as can get past the fear checks. Eventually, you'll go down. Stick together. Advance slowly. Use your zombies and ghouls as a wall of fear. Use your vampire to counter-strike.

*Against the Brutal (Possessed) - Pick your battle ground and have at it. Tie up his possessed with cheap undead. Use your vampire to hit is weaker units and heroes to for a route check. Depending on mutations, your vampire will probably be the most maneouvreable unit in the game. Use that to your advantage.