PDA

View Full Version : Update on How to spot Loaded dice:

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 00:00
An Update to a previous thread I started but I could not find pics.

http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=8132

They come in black, purple, red, green etc.

D6's with no ones (replaced with another 6)

D6's with no sixes (replaced with another 1)

Master Jeridian
17-08-2006, 00:06
Is it me or does the little pic next to the item say 'Popular Dick', at least their half right.

Improve chances of great rolls.

:rolleyes:

Kamin_Majere
17-08-2006, 01:08
may the sellers and the buyers burn in what ever hell exists for gamers such as themselves... right beside hitler and the teletubies

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 01:18
As I said in the last thread the best way to tell if your opponent is using loaded dice is the infamous "set up"

36 small chessex dice in nice formed square
2 D6's with no 1s for when he wants to go first, or to fail a Ld check
2 D6's with no 6's when he wants to pass an Ld check
Followed by misc others and a turn counter.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
17-08-2006, 02:44
OMG, Why would they do that?!
@master jeridian- It says "popular pick"

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 02:56
Im not sure but I have faced several people like this in tournaments and they were all really nice guys which makes it unfortunate.

One guy had dice that were so loaded they only had 4s 5s and 6s

hellfire
17-08-2006, 03:03
why don't they actually load there dice so much easier than trying to keep your opponent from seeing your marines haven't rolled a three on there armor saves through the whole game

If you need cheap dice to win you don't deserve to win

mughzee
17-08-2006, 03:32
At first I thought this thread was humour....but cricky, that's rediculous. If it comes to this for your gaming enjoyment it's time to get a new hobby.......or die.

Gotchaye
17-08-2006, 03:38
I don't know - I think my regular opponents would get a kick out of me cheating them out of a game. Granted, it's a miserable thing to do in a one-off game at the shop, but some of this could be comedy gold. You start off cheating well, and, by the end of the game, you start trying to convince your opponent to use this other set of dice for his Termie saves. It becomes increasingly obvious, and everyone has fun.

gebann
17-08-2006, 04:51
If I pulled that with my group I'd be looking for my private parts out in the parking lot...
Gebann

shutupSHUTUP!!!
17-08-2006, 04:57
I played against somebody using dice coloured in the same way this week. I was skeptical about being able to tell the dice rolls until somebody said, "grab a handful and roll them", at which point we decided they were kinda hard to tell apart. He then proceeded to pull out some dark green dice. Who brings two sets of dice to a game? I didn't suspect for a moment he was cheating, but seeing that picture reminds me of him. I know another guy saw them and instantly refused to let them be used too.

Lyinar
17-08-2006, 05:57
He could have also been a D&D player... Were they in a Crown Royal bag?

IncrediSteve
17-08-2006, 06:12
Oh no! Please tell me there isn't a stigma associated with Crown Royal bags. It's so handy to use...

But if it makes me look like a D&D player, I may have to find a nice tin rather soon.

jansuza
17-08-2006, 07:22
That makes me a special kind of angry

Jedi152
17-08-2006, 09:19
The sad thing is that people nowsadays are so obsessed with winning (in my particular experience it tends to be younger players) that they will do anything, including loaded dice. We all know players like that. I bet every tournament has one or two power-gamers packing loaded dice.

I honestly can't see the point. If you are so obsessed with winning you need to cheat, well, words fail me. I got over that kind of behaviour when i was about 10.

Just keep an eye on your opponent. Does he always use the same dice for Ld tests? Test him: when you take a Ld test, grab them and start using them. What does he do? If they're loaded, he'll probably play up and cry about you using 'his dice'.

Gaebriel
17-08-2006, 09:27
I use a set of standard GW dice, and superstutiously almost exclusively use the nice black ones, only branching out into the ugly reds when I need more on a roll, and taking the white ones for Leadership rolls...

I hope I don't get hanged for it one day... :rolleyes:

cookiescrumble
17-08-2006, 09:41
Those dice are rubbish! Two 6's, not very sly if you ask me.

the cabbage
17-08-2006, 09:44
I've got loads of dice quirks, I guess I'm a bit Obsessive compulsive.

I wonder if people think I'm cheating?

ReDavide
17-08-2006, 10:05
At any given game, I'll have four dice sets and assorted orphan dice that I found a home for. I need so many sets because I'm absentminded and lose them slowly.

I roll certain colors when I want high rolls and other colors when I want low ones. They're all normal dice though. It's just tradition.

I was getting really worried by this thread until the last few posts reassured me that I wasn't the only innocent person who acts suspicious. :p

UltimateNagash
17-08-2006, 11:36
If you really want to cheat in a fun way, make all the sides have the same number (five is great). We had about three of those...We never used them (we had actually found them, but I did make a Black Pyramid of Nagash out of them all...).
Really though, people who cheat to win don't get anything (I cheat in comp games just for the fun of it: jetpack! Yes please. Tank...yep. etc, etc.).
I also use different dice, but since we just use all the dice to hand it doesn't matter (big dice in one go, small dice in one go etc).

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 16:16
My theroy is if you Highly (just because he rolls 3 sixes in a row doesnt mean he is cheating) suspect someone of loaded dice and they refuse to let you see them then thats almost a dead give away. but instead of getting mad ask him to show you each side of the die (or dice in question) if he still refuses call a judge (if in a tourny) or simply put up or shut up and say fine prove to me that it isnt loaded. At this point he will get upset because he knows his caught and will pull every excuse out of the book.

Questioning his honour, calling you foul things, temper tantrum in general or simply pulling his models are often the final result of him not showing you his dice. For all that effort you would think it would be easy to just say "oops I brought my loaded dice", or just apologize and carry on.

3 0f 6
17-08-2006, 16:43
i m confused, would you think that because i set up a block of 9 dice for heavy bolter fire, that i was cheating?

Kymar
17-08-2006, 17:04
i m confused, would you think that because i set up a block of 9 dice for heavy bolter fire, that i was cheating?

If you only used those dice for heavy bolter fire, and never anything else, and/or didn't let anyone else touch them and/or don't show they are not loaded; Then yes, people might think your cheating.

Beyond that, its just superstition & habit.

Gaebriel
17-08-2006, 17:11
Damn superstition :mad: - now this thread got me thinking of getting themed dice colours for different weapons, ie orange for flamers, green for plasma and blue for laser-attacks...

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 18:01

No but its if you have 2 sets of leadership dice and I notice when you switch back and fourth to get the result that would be most favourable to you (as in you roll left dice to pass and right dice to fail) then I get suspicious and even more so if those leadership dice are numbered not doted.

the big block of dice isnt the problem I mentioned that as the usual set up of someone that may have loaded dice, but this is one of many set ups. Some people use roman numeral dice and speed grab them after they hit the table and since your not used to roman numerals 4s look a lot like 6s upside down

Venomizer
17-08-2006, 18:12
the amount of eyebrows I have raised at me because I will only use two colours of dice (Black & Green) is unreal

It's just a habit I've developed, but still you have some people who'll complain

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 18:21
Different colours is fine as long as they dont keep rolling the same thing. There is a set of dice that has a skull for a one (i'll find the pic) they are blood read and they are weighted to the one.

Ive never seen an ork player hit 15 out of 17 times in shooting

BrainFireBob
17-08-2006, 19:16
Hm. I have a vague superstitious approach to my own dice- some of those buggers get temperamental on me. They roll low multiple times sequentially, they're put aside in a pile. Most of my opponents find it funny. I'll tap that pile for last man standing- if they change their mind and roll high, I'll know they've PMS and should be left alone back in the dice case . . .

Drogmir
17-08-2006, 20:24
Well I don't let people use my dice. Not because it's loaded or anything it's because their gold plated metal dice

Drogmir
17-08-2006, 20:25
I got it during my birthday sure cost alot. So I don't want people rubbing thier hands on my dice

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 22:10
Well I don't let people use my dice. Not because it's loaded or anything it's because their gold plated metal dice

Ok that is a good reason but if anyone had a concern of their "loadedness" just how him that each side equals up to 7.

ArtificerArmour
17-08-2006, 22:15
An Update to a previous thread I started but I could not find pics.

http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=8132

They come in black, purple, red, green etc.

D6's with no ones (replaced with another 6)

D6's with no sixes (replaced with another 1)

Wow, thank ***** you came along, the information you provided was astounding :eyebrows:

Really sly those dogs and their loaded die.

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 22:18
Sarcasm?

I will try and get pics of other common loaded dice as well.

ArtificerArmour
17-08-2006, 22:20
Well, to be fair, what you've told us:

Die are of any colour.

Have two sixes on.

Have two ones on.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's nothing we didn't know before this thread...

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 22:23
That would be assuming everyone knew about them, and what to look for. I dont think you can speak for everyone.

ArtificerArmour
17-08-2006, 22:24
I'll just speak for those with IQs then :rolleyes:

Kamin_Majere
17-08-2006, 22:26
I'll just speak for those with IQs then :rolleyes:

testy today arent we:p

Alsiaie
17-08-2006, 22:30
Hey way to be an **** and bash a poster.

Actually, the term loaded dice is commonly defined as weighted dice. Before double 6's came about, people used to use the 'microwave' method. Some dice came pre-weight heavy as well. It did work to some degree. There were several threads here on warseer that talked about weights and how to spot them. The most common was the water test. Fixed dice methods have been simplified these days. Unfortunately even fair dice can become semi-fixed with slight of hand rolling. I have a nice set of large chessex bone dice that I use for wound counters. I found out that if I roll a pair of them with one hand, most likely they will roll the same as what was face-up previously. This is due to the lack of bounce the dice have. I no longer use those dice for rolling after using them for armor pen with ranger long rifles and finding this out first hand. Even to this day, I really dislike it when people use the larger 12-packs vs the 36-packs. Their lack of bounce power greatly affects how your numbers roll. But that also depends on how the dice are rolled as well.

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 22:30
testy indeed.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dice-play/DiceCrooked.htm cheat methods of rolling

cybertron2000uk
19-08-2006, 16:14
wow...cool info...very sad...as if playing with minis isnt sad enougth..you have to cheat...Sad...

downundercadet07
19-08-2006, 19:35
The Water Test, BTW, was to drop them in a cup of water a few times and see if one side consistently pointed upwards.

ReDavide
19-08-2006, 21:09
Are legitimate dice all chiral in the same direction?

i.e. if you put the 6 on top and the 5 facing you, is the 4 always to the left and the 3 always to the right?

If they are all the same, then a die with two 6's would appear backwards when the wrong 6 showed up. You could see if they were legitimate with a quick glance at them as they lie on the table, without having to mention anything to your opponent.

kane40k
19-08-2006, 22:11
me and one of my mates did a test on the normal gw dice you can buy and we found that the black dice generaly roll higher than the red
i dunno why my mate rekons its the wat the molds are made! wtf!?!?!?! crazy fool! lol

Ravenous
19-08-2006, 22:16
Are legitimate dice all chiral in the same direction?

i.e. if you put the 6 on top and the 5 facing you, is the 4 always to the left and the 3 always to the right?

If they are all the same, then a die with two 6's would appear backwards when the wrong 6 showed up. You could see if they were legitimate with a quick glance at them as they lie on the table, without having to mention anything to your opponent.

The problem with that is you only ever see 3 sides of a die, so unless you move quick enough to glance both sides that might not be possible, although it is a excellent point.

WarSmith7
19-08-2006, 22:32
At what point does someone stop viewing a game as a past time of fun and begin to view it as a sport in which the risk and payoff merit the incentive to cheat?

If one requires victory to such an extent as to cheat within a game amongst friends and comrades, then something is truly wrong.

Ravenous
19-08-2006, 22:36
The funny thing is 40k isnt even for money, so they arent gaining anything other then that they won.

In other words they were picked last all the time in gym class. lol

wischhusen
19-08-2006, 23:27
lol, ive never thought of dice so much before , normalyl i just grab a handful and lob them at the table

and its really sad that somone would cheat,

ReDavide
20-08-2006, 01:16
The problem with that is you only ever see 3 sides of a die, so unless you move quick enough to glance both sides that might not be possible, although it is a excellent point.

3 sides is enough to tell if something's fishy.

chaos0xomega
20-08-2006, 04:51
It's true though, GW blacks roll higher than reds. I found the same thing to be true.

OH, and using rigged dice is actually carrying out a tradition of a infamous evil domican dictator named Trujillo....

Ravenous
21-08-2006, 00:08
GW whites are the even ones.

The bone dice are easy to manipulate but you cant call a guy on it unless he makes it obvious.

Divine Shadow
21-08-2006, 00:20
My favorite is when they have two separate piles of dice for rolling leadership and save tests....cheating is lame!

Darwin_green
21-08-2006, 08:38
i'll bet even with cheating dice, i would still roll one's.