PDA

View Full Version : Gaunt's Ghosts: I dont get it inc spoilers)

Hlokk
20-06-2005, 19:56
Right, have just read the founding trilogy (necropolis is a massive disappointment), I was wondering, why doesnt Gaunt just shoot Rawne? I mean, he's assaulted him, threatened to kill him several times, put a knife to his throat in ghostmaker and still Gaunt keeps him about. Surely each of those offences is easily enough for summary execution?

TenTailedCat
20-06-2005, 19:59
Because Rawner is a good leader, because Gaunt isn't the type for executions reaaly, because if Gaunt did execute Rawne there'd be uprorar and probably mutiny/desertion of the regiment.

Take your pick.

neXus6
20-06-2005, 20:16
Yeah, basicly it's up to the Commissar whether or not he executes Rawne, and as Gaunt is not one of the close minded nutter Commissars he knows it's better in the long run to leave a capable officer in his force. Also half the force hate Gaunt for not letting the stay to defend their homeworld so yes there would probably be very bad results.

Plus Rawne is cool. Not the best, but cool.

Jo Bennett
20-06-2005, 20:26
You didn't like Necropolis? Interesting, the general consensus has been in the past that this is the best of the lot. What didn't you like?

Hlokk
20-06-2005, 20:43
You didn't like Necropolis? Interesting, the general consensus has been in the past that this is the best of the lot. What didn't you like?

I dont know, it was probably how abnett tried to introduce far too many characters at once (ie several new ghosts, several planetary dignataries, other military commanders. Dont get me wrong, i see the need for new characters, but to shoehorn most of them into the first 3 chapters is taking the ****). I also didnt like how he tried to do the whole "War on a massive scale" commentary and failed miserably. Also, the last 2 chapters were very deus ex machnia, you knew what was going to happen. And finally, the new ghosts signing up was very convenient and a bit of a cop out in my opinion.

Am moving onto honour guard at moment, hopefully things will pick up.

Capt. Buko
20-06-2005, 23:03
i like honor guard...only one i haven't read is necrop!...i wish he would have numbered the books so when n00b (like myself) pick one up at the book store you don't start off seeing ***** die (where the found the tainted production equipment makng the "iron men") or **** die ( at the hands of another ghost no less!...well almost a ghost :) )

I put the *** so as not to spoil anything for anyone else.

Question though, is necro when they get the hivers?

neXus6
20-06-2005, 23:29
Oh the joys of the spoiler function.

(spoiler)text here(/spoiler) but with square brackets
;)

x-esiv-4c
21-06-2005, 03:28
I quite liked Necropolis and the epic scale battle scenes.

pnweerar
21-06-2005, 05:07
The Problem of Unlikely Victory
I had a problem with Necropolis too -- and for that matter many of the GG books. That problem (the only problem I had with them) is its all too convenient, way unlikely, victory ending.

Straight Silver was good, because the Ghosts don't win that one. They go "feth this" and leave. As for Necropolis, I think they should have lost, and had to withdraw from Vervunhive the same way they had to abandon Tanith.

The victory ending I had the most problems with was in Honor Guard. "Oh look! An ancient artifact that will destroy ALL the Chaos Baddies outside! How utterly convenient..."

Rawne
I think Gaunt simply doesn't feel threatened by Rawne. Sure, Rawne wants him dead -- but I imagine many officers have to deal with this every day (I heard today that the officer fragging has already begun in Iraq). G can't deal with Rawne because he has murderous intent, because he'd have to get rid of many more soldiers for the same reason -- which will only breed more murderous intent.

Also, as a manager, Gaunt must understand that being liked by your staff is important, but being fair is more important.

Navin

Khaine's Messenger
21-06-2005, 18:23
why doesnt Gaunt just shoot Rawne?

Multiple reasons, really. "Courting" Rawne in a command position means that Gaunt can at least curry the favor of the Tanith who were embittered by the destruction of Tanith rather than cowed and fearful of what would happen next. Remember how Rawne was initially given his "rank"...as one of the few people "elected" to confront Gaunt on the issue of his evacuation order. Further, Rawne's threats have become mostly bluster. Gaunt's given Rawne plenty of opportunities to be a ruthless bastard, which was Gaunt's entire intent with the evacuation order. Rawne's utterly convinced that he has Gaunt right where he wants him with his Tanith Straight Silver ("of Damocles"), so there's no real need to actually carry out his threats.

On the other hand, you have to realize that Gaunt's dual-rank has been completely compromised by various events in his career. So one can make all the "excuses/explanations" (as above) that you like, but you do have to realize that Gaunt is overly sentimental and simply cares too much for his troops to ever really bring himself to summarily execute one of the Tanith (and it took him a while to extend that respect totally to the Vervunhivers). The few times that he's tried, he's caught major flak for it from some of his closest confidants. Executing Rawne would just be icing on the cake (even though there's no love lost for Rawne from Gaunt's confidants). You have to wonder, I suppose, how different the Ghosts would be if Gaunt had decimated the dissenters....

just
22-06-2005, 23:12
Rawne is no immediat threat to Ghaunt. He is however an asset to him. Eliminating him would just mean that another Tanith would take his place as the principal antagonist towards Ghaunt, but lacking the qualities that Rawne has that makes him useful to the regiment.

Rawne has even saved Ghaunts life on occasions, mainly because he is the one that wants to kill Ghaunt in the end and he'll be damned if anyone else gets to do the honours.

Venenum
23-06-2005, 10:27
RW: Marshal Tito ruled with an iron fist, executed any/all dissedents/agitators. By the time he died, he had executed anyone & everyone who would have been capable of running the country after he died.

Yes I know I'm greatly oversimplifying and I may not have it completely correct.

One of the principles of military leadership is to ensure the next in command beneath you is trained to take over your job, and that you are trained in the job of your immediate superior. In that manner, if someone dies, there is a capable successor/understudy. Corbec is the best person to fill Gaunt's boot's if he dies. Rawne is the best person to fill Corbec's boots if Corbec dies. Gaunt is doing what's best for the Regiment, ergo the guard, and the imperium, which is quite fitting with his role is a commissar.

traitor general spoiler:

Now that we've established successorship as being important, when he goes on a one way mission in traitor general, why does he take all his best troops, and the person that should have been standing by to take over as Commander of the Tanith First & Only? Maybe Dan Abnett is a big fan of Captain Kirk.

Riddy
23-06-2005, 10:38
Corbec is the best person to fill Gaunt's boot's if he dies. Rawne is the best person to fill Corbec's boots if Corbec dies.

Someone needs to (re)read Sabbat Martyr ;)

Shadowheart
24-06-2005, 00:06
Without spoiling too much, I can say that if you continue with the series you'll find yourself asking "Why doesn't Gaunt just shoot X?" more than once. Don't think of him as a Commissar, think of him as a modern Hollywood hero. Abnett has just covered the war aspect of 40K, not the whole "grim darkness" angle. The characters in the series are way too sensible to be part of the Imperium.

As far as I remember Gaunt's authority over the Tanith was shaky at best, Rawne was far from the only one to hate him for denying them the chance to die defending their world. Most of the Tanith later come to forgive him for this, but they certainly won't forget it, and so Gaunt always has to be careful with Rawne to avoid opening old wounds.
Rawne for his part seems to be content to follow Gaunt in doing what is best for the remaining Tanith, but I hope Abnett at least has the balls to let Gaunt die on Rawne's knife at the end of it all.

chaospig
24-06-2005, 21:47
Also gaunt was saved by Rawne in one of the books

axels15
24-06-2005, 23:30
Yeah, basicly it's up to the Commissar whether or not he executes Rawne, and as Gaunt is not one of the close minded nutter Commissars he knows it's better in the long run to leave a capable officer in his force. Also half the force hate Gaunt for not letting the stay to defend their homeworld so yes there would probably be very bad results.

Plus Rawne is cool. Not the best, but cool.

Although Guant did go commisar crazy about medical supplies in, which one, I think Straight Silver. That was fun. Don't worry, this isn't a big spoiler, nothing really happens.