PDA

View Full Version : Powerful beasts of chaos army

the_night_reaper
17-08-2006, 04:42
I've been fiddling with this list, it orginally started out being a mortals army but the ambush thing was really appealing to me so I ended up going with beasts.

Slaanesh Beasts of Chaos 3000pts

Beast Lord: General, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Enchanted Shield, The Black Maul, Gaze of The Gods, Heavy Armour- 201pts

Beast Lord: Mark of Chaos Undivided, Chaos Armour, Shield, Amulet of Chaos, Berserker Sword - 193pts

Sorcerer: Mark of Slaanesh, lvl 2, Power Familiar, Barded Chaos Steed- 206pts

Bray Shaman: Mark of Slaanesh, lvl 2, Spell Familiar, Staff of Darkoth- 170pts

Bray Shaman: Mark of Slaanesh, lvl 2, Bray Staff- 136pts

Bray Shaman: Mark of Slaanesh, lvl 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls, Bray Staff- 186pts

6 Warhounds of Chaos - 36pts

20 strong beast herd; 6 Gor: 2 Hand Weapons, Full Command/ 14 Ungor: Spears- 133pts

20 strong beast herd; 6 Gor: 2 Hand Weapons, Full Command/ 14 Ungor: Spears- 133pts

Tuskgor Chariot- 85pts

Tuskgor Chariot- 85pts

20 Chaos Warriors: Mark of Slaanesh, Halberds, Shields, Full Command- 390pts

5 Chosen Knights: Mark of Slaanesh, Full Command- 295pts

5 Marauder Horsemen: Flails, Musician- 81pts

9 Furies- 135pts

3 Chaos Trolls- 165pts

Fiend of Slaanesh (spawn)- 75pts

Fiend of Slaanesh (spawn)- 75pts

Total 2985pts

With the extra 15 points I’m thinking about adding either another fury or another marauder horseman to their respective units. Both are good because with the fury I don’t spend extra money seeing as it’s a box of 10 whereas the marauder horseman seems like the better choice in game terms but also another $15 or something out of my pocket.

The strategy is pretty simple; the main battle line will consist of my warriors bringing up the middle, with a beast herd (each joined by a bray shaman) on each side. On one flank I’ll have the trolls (joined by the mounted sorcerer) and the fiends of slaanesh. I figure they’ll hold any enemy unit up and probably destroy it or break it eventually. Or better yet panic it with it’s fear causing US of 15, that is if both fiends and the trolls are in the same combat. On my other flank I’ll have the knights and the chariots, Both of these units can dish out an awesome number of s5+ attacks and should be able to break almost anything on the charge, especially if I pull of the frenzy spell for the knights. If need be I can stack one side with both the knights and the trolls to put my 2 hardest units together to cause extreme death. Especially if I’m dealing with knights.

2 warhound units will be setup on the flank to screen the knights and chariots. The Furies and the marauder horsemen will be on war machine duty, or even fast cav duty as I’ve noticed flail armed marauder horsemen are excellent against them on the charge, or even on the receiving end if the enemy is not pistoliers.

I’ll be ambushing one unit of warhounds and one beast herd. I was debating on whether to have a brayshaman accompany the beast herd. If he’s of the table it means my magic phase will we fairly reduced and that’s not a good thing. On the plus side nobody like a disruptive slaaneshi shaman in their flank or rear, in the end I think I’m going to ambush him with the beast herd. I may need help on this one.

Oh yeah and the beast lords will each be riding in a chariot. You may noticed they’re kitted out completely differently, The first one being able to deal with tougher foes like ogres, but still awesome against rank and file (five s7 attacks +2 tuskgor +impact hits can pretty much deal with anything) and you’ll also notice he’s better protected, this being because he’s the general. And the other excels when it comes to dealing with rank and file (amulet to maybe take away a rank before the fighting starts and the sword to get lots of attacks because of his base size) he’s also well protected with his 1+ save but he has no ward save. Also you’ll notice I gave both lords mark of chaos undivided, this is so they can flee a charge if need be, also it means I have the option of taking units with marks other than slaanesh.

What do you guys think of my list and stategy? Does it have any obvious strengths or flaws?

Neknoh
17-08-2006, 06:59
I'd most deffinately invest in the Mark of Khorne for those Chosen Knights and for your non-general Beastlord, and that horn which gives all ambushing units a +1 to their leadership when ambushing on your general.

Now, smack a Daemonsword on your Khornate Beastlord and ambush him together with two of your large Beastherds.

I'd also like to point out the fact that when seventh edition comes, Greatweapons will only give +1 strength when mounted in/on ANYTHING.

the_night_reaper
18-08-2006, 01:39
I like those suggestions except the daemon sword one. With khorne the odds are that you'll hurt yourself the first turn you attack. With 8 attacks one of them is bound to be a 1. After that's it's 2+ to wound and -4 to the armour save.

How am I going to get points for the mark of khorne? it's expensive and the only thing I see happening is dropping the mark of slaanesh on the knights and a chariot. But I like the idea of 2 chariots charging together. I could be convinced other wse however.

Also the great weapon thing doesn't effect any models in my army so I'm not sure why you brought that up. Trying to read your mind a bit here, the black maul is +2 to your strength, not a great weapon.

ExquisiteEvil
18-08-2006, 02:25
A little inside info for you...

Frenzy now also affect mounts aswell as riders...

Yep that means that unit of 5 khorne knights has 20 attacks on the charge - chosen will get 25:evilgrin:

TheWarSmith
18-08-2006, 02:54
Frenzy affects mounts too???!!!! HOLY CRAP that's only good for khorne, but JEEZ!!!

I'd suggest armor of damnation instead of regular chaos armor. It makes him VERY resilient in close combat(reroll successful hits in cc)

Personally I like my 20 man beast herds to be 12 gor/8 ungor like right out of the box. 6 gors doesn't really provide enough punch when they get to combat.

See if you can split those chaos warriors to 2x10 instead of one twenty man unit.

bored1
18-08-2006, 03:36
How do 6 gors not pack enough punch? That adds up to 150 mm frontage. You would have to hit a frontage of 7 or so 20 mm models to need a 7/8. 6-7 I believe is most cost efficient in units of 20, especially with characters added.

Even worse, adding gors can actually take away from your combat punch, as you're giving up ungor spear attacks. If they can deploy 6 wide, a 20-beast herd will have 19 attacks (foe-render 3, gors 10, ungors 6), minus whatever is lost if the enemy kills any models.

TheWarSmith
18-08-2006, 03:50
It's decent for the first round of combat only. Assuming most units have at least 100mm frontage(due to 5 rank rule, they'll almost have to), as soon as you lose ONE gor, your front rank isn't pure gors, which it always should be for maximum results. Gors are tougher to hit and tougher to wound, AND deal more attacks, which means your opponent gets less combat resolution and you get more.

the_night_reaper
18-08-2006, 04:36
Assume the other unit has 25mm base sizes and say it's 7th ed where they have to use 5 models per rank. I'll get 2 s5 attacks from the bray shaman, 3 s4 attacks from the Foe-Render, and 17 s3 attacks from the gors and the ungors with spears. That's 22 attacks total which (a few of which are s4+) which should rake up a fair amount of cr, plus I have 2 ranks and a banner and possible out number.

Seeing as they'll be taking on other skirmishers or fast cav. or other units that could threaten the flank of my warrior unit I'd say it's a good unit all around.

TheWarSmith
18-08-2006, 04:43
Unless 7th changed, I don't think your ungors are getting attacks on the first round after charging, so that was built into my argument that only the first rank counts in the first round(given you are charging).

You can't really lump all the S3 shots into one anyway, because some are from WS3 and some are WS4. My point was that only having 6 gors doesn't give you enough of a buffer because once only 2 die in your scenario, the front will have ungors in it which the enemy can target and do massive CR. The goal is NEVER to have ungors end up in the front.

the_night_reaper
23-08-2006, 04:01
I guess so. But I'm sticking with my setup.

Any more comments on the list?