PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favourite CSM Legion, and why

ashc
17-08-2006, 11:02
Title says it all really. Im not after a 'which is popular in general' (although feel free to discuss this issue in this thread) but which one is YOUR favourite legion. Im just interested in gauging the Forum's demograph.

Im quite torn over what my personal favourite is, so much flavour to choose from! :skull:

Note, i have also included a choice for 'Renegades'. This includes Fallen, Red Corsairs etc. and anything of your own. Please feel free to tell us about your preferences.

Ash

dOOHICKY
17-08-2006, 11:07
Deathguard.

love their never say die attitude and they just seem to look in the face of any enemy and say 'Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough'

Edit: Woop 200 posts (probably more like 5 or 600, but most of my posts are in Random Musings)

AmKhaibitu
17-08-2006, 11:08
The only problem is that renegades aren't a legion and thus shouldn't be in the poll, strangely enough.

I chose Iron Warriors as I was first enthralled by their boxed set and then the background, this was back in the days when the index astartes on them had been released and we got veterans as troops. It was awesome.

cherubaul
17-08-2006, 11:08
nightlords for me just love their play mechanics 2 units of raptors a big bike squad and a furies squad just beautiful.

ashc
17-08-2006, 11:09
AmKhaibitu; I did have a debate with myself over whether to include renegades as i know they aren't an original Legion; but i realised *someone* would come along and start asking about them, so i thought hey why not.

The boyz
17-08-2006, 11:13
Iron Warriors and Deathguard get my vote. I just like the look of the troops and backround of both of these CSM legions.

Psycho_Laughs
17-08-2006, 11:16
word bearers... if you gotta go fanatic, why pick one god, go for the guys that just plain worship ALL of chaos...

Tarquinn
17-08-2006, 11:16
Thousands Sons.

Looks, background and army composition being the main reason for me liking them.

Storm_Hawk
17-08-2006, 11:18
I was spilt between the Night Lords, Death Guard and the Iron Warriors. I also like the Alpha Legions background, but their reliance on cultists is a bit annoying.

I voted Night Lords in the end, as I love their imagery and their Brutal Shock Tactics.

Eidolon
17-08-2006, 11:26
I'm torn between Death guard and Thousand sons. I prefer Deathguard for looks and playing style, but when it comes to background Thousand sons are my favourite. And Magnus the red rocks!

Arcane_Blade
17-08-2006, 12:05
It has to be Death Guard for me. I don't like the sort of, strong green paint scheme. But I love the rotting flesh, misty green type. I just love the look and style of them, not to mention falling in love with the descriptions of them in Horus Rising.

Livia
17-08-2006, 12:19
Word Bearers myself. Love the religious fanaticism, the burning hatred of the Imperium and the crazy worship that goes with it. Also like that they worshipped chaos well before the Horus Heresy even started :)

That, and my first introduction to the 40k universe was through the old PC game, Chaos Gate, which uses Word Bearers as the enemy. Been my favourite ever since!

Funnily, I've only just gotten around to starting an actual army of them though.

Killgore
17-08-2006, 12:50
Word Bearers, total war against the imperium? yes please, hate the Ultramarines the most? yea cool! good anouth to justifi me buying 4000points of them? hell yes.

Griffin
17-08-2006, 12:55
Black Legion - Horus was weak, Horus was a fool - Give me abaddon anytime. Fluff, and style of warfare.

LarryS
17-08-2006, 12:58
World Eaters - sometimes you just get tired of being all subtle and clever...some days you just want to run over to the other army and let the blood flow!

Sir_Turalyon
17-08-2006, 13:02
Other renegades (they have both Fallen and Sons of Malice, my two closely tied favourites), followed by Night Lords (they actualy have personality).

dark angel
17-08-2006, 13:07
death guard mainly cos thre fluff is sik but 2nd is iron warriors then black legion/alpha legion (i like them both)
but death guard rule

Sureshot05
17-08-2006, 13:07
I'm torn between Thousand Sons (my eventual vote) and Black Legion.

Love the background to the Thousand Sons, a whole chapter that was doomed from the moment Magnus was created, and the Black Legion - just for Abbaddon's "you have failed me for the last time" rule in BFG (and the background is great as well).

Wraithbored
17-08-2006, 13:08
For me it's the Nightlords because IMHO they have the best fluff and feel, very closely followed by Word Bearers and Alpha Legion, the word bearers because they turned traitor before Horus himself did and they became a total anathema to what they were before. As for the Alph Legion it's their way of doing things that is briliant and cunning.

ashc
17-08-2006, 13:52
its quite amusing that there seems to be a fair amount of love for the undivided legions, and yet its black legion and the cult armies i seem to see the most of. anyone else have similar experiences?

Ash

Calindor
17-08-2006, 13:56
Death guarsd all the way. More damned legion you have to look for as they at same time is a pain for everyone they meet.

Cry of the Wind
17-08-2006, 14:25
Thousand Sons by far. Cool fluff, cool characters and come on...2 wounds each!!! Second choice would have to be 'The Fallen'. I actually love thier fluff more than any other traitor.

Wraithbored
17-08-2006, 14:27
its quite amusing that there seems to be a fair amount of love for the undivided legions, and yet its black legion and the cult armies i seem to see the most of. anyone else have similar experiences?

Ash

Surprisingly our area features 1 Thousand son player, 1 Emperor's children player, 1 Word Bearer, 1 Iron Warrior, 2 Nightlord and 1 World eater, it's very differentiated.

MrInsomniac
17-08-2006, 14:35
It's a tough one between Word Bearers and Thousand Sons. Both have fluff and looks that I love, Thousand Sons have super cool sorcerers and Word Bearers have apostles and large amounts of cults. Hmmm, Word Bearers me thinks.

sliganian
17-08-2006, 14:54
I voted as follows:

Iron Warriors: loved their backstory - the ultimate in disgruntled employees. :)

Word Bearers: probably the strongest imagery and chance for a player to really get 'into' their army.

Alpha Legion: seem to be smarter than all of the other Legions. The Index Astartes was brilliant. I painted my AL in Ultramarine blue. ;) (though I may redo them in a camo scheme).

Thousand Sons: silent walking bolter death and magic. Too bad about the rules.

lord_blackfang
17-08-2006, 15:17
Thousand Sons, Night Lords and Iron Warriors (in that order) for their tragic fall from grace because of the Emperor's own ineptness and hypocrisy.

lessthanjeff
17-08-2006, 15:26
Thousand Sons are definitely my first choice but I am rather fond of the Iron Warriors too.

Rathillir
17-08-2006, 15:31
Some people see the Black Legion as the generic CSM legion, but I personally like them because they used to be the underdogs, getting beat on by other legions, and now because of Abbaddon they're back on top - a Chaos feel-good story if I ever heard one :) Black Crusade gooooo!

Makaber
17-08-2006, 16:00
I like World Eaters because they're so brilliantly unsubtle and manic. I also have a thing for Alpha Legion, because back in the days, nobody knew anything about them and they weren't really played much, so they were an undersog army. That's changed slightly, though, but I still think their background is really cool.

Promethius
17-08-2006, 16:10
I love Alpha Legion. They have brilliant background, and the infiltrator rule makes them different in the game (as it encourages you to have more stealthy troops and less heavy equipment). I also like being able to field some cultists in my force (they make an excellent missile screen and have the numbers to flatten many things in hth).

Despise Iron Warriors, mostly because they seem to be the power gamer's chaos marine force.

squigsnok
17-08-2006, 16:15
Black Legion. 'Cause you only have to look at their colour scheme. Unless many many cheap westerns and Columbo films have lied to us, the true bad guys always ALWAYS wear black.

The Song of Spears
17-08-2006, 16:51
I have to say World Eaters. Their minis and rules and unit options support the fluff so well, i think they are by far the best Chaos legion. Best balanced IMHO too.

Galaspar
17-08-2006, 17:43
Unsuprisingly for anyone who knows me, I'm going to say Death Guard. The miniatures are almost universally great, from the ancient one-piece plague marine and the excellent old aspiring champions to the magnificent new DP, they're a pleasure to paint.

And then there's the Mark of Nurgle - fearless, true grit and t5 completment each other so well for a squad which just won't be moved.

The Death Guard have weathered the storm, and it's just made them stronger.

darkprincewilson
17-08-2006, 17:51
I voted Death Guard. T5 is great.

Outlaw289
17-08-2006, 17:51
Iron Warriors. They have the most realistic approach to warfare and aren't so much Chaotic as they are anti-Imperial. I can respect tempered revolution whereas I find chaos-warped traitors, well, mad. Iron Warriors have stayed true to their goal, not the machinations of Chaos

Plus tons of shootiness :)

MrLiy
17-08-2006, 17:57
You'd think with as much Death Guard players here(Which I voted for) we'd see more tactica threads.

Cruentus
17-08-2006, 18:29
Word Bearers.

One word: Chaplains.

That's what got me interested in them in 2nd edition. I loved the concept of the SM chaplain, but really wanted to use chaos models. Then GW allowed a SM chaplain to be used in the Word Bearer army. That was all she wrote.

DoomedFuture
17-08-2006, 18:43
Black Legion. 40k has that classic God casts Satan down thing going on. Black Legion, being that Satan, refuses to languish in hell and strikes out. Very powerful imagery. Also, I love all the flavors of Chaos and Black Legion lets me use them all in one great horde, the way Chaos should be, as an all nurgle, or all Tzeentch, etc. army is too ordered for me. The thought of all the gods working together just warms me dear ol' heart.

MordrekDaMean
17-08-2006, 18:52
Emporers children.

Sonic weapons and pretty much immune to psychology.

The look on my buddy's face when my deamon prince used siren call of slaanesh to lure his dark angel terminators towards him a few inches thereby allowing him to charge in the assult phase and kill 4 out of 5 of them!

Remember the LURID paint schemes from realms of chaos? My army offends the eye!

Rip
17-08-2006, 19:01
Alpha Legion, because of the dragon imagery.

kermit
17-08-2006, 19:34
Thousand Sons... by far the best... but I am biased as it was my first army!

primarch16
17-08-2006, 19:38
Black legion, awsome fluff.

BrainFireBob
17-08-2006, 19:55
The Chaos paint scheme I like best: Iron Warriors.

The Chaos "fluff" I like best: Relentless, cold, calculated, impersonal, "Iron within, iron without".

The Chaos army that's most broken and needs re-doing: Iron Warriors.

But I'm honest enough to admit I still like them best. They look AWESOME, and the paranoia/logic/relentlessness appeals so damn much.

UnRiggable
17-08-2006, 21:26
Thousand sons: Space Egyptians! (I voted for them)
Word Bearers also because of their use of Daemons.

Deadite
17-08-2006, 21:38
Emperor's Children... there's something to be said for kicking ass while wearing pink... :cool:

Seth the Dark
17-08-2006, 22:02
I went with Death Guard sicne I play them and for the fact that they can withstand quite a bit.

Sheena Easton
17-08-2006, 22:13
Night Lords.

They have the best background - nice and dark.

bringerofdecay
18-08-2006, 01:10
Emperors Children

heres why...BOOBIES...:p ...had to be said, but, while i like the whole booby thing they got in there, i also like the weapon upgrades, assualt 3 bolters with 24" range anyone? and the colourscheme aint half bad either, aslong as you get a good smooth pink ;)

Gen_eV
18-08-2006, 01:31
Definitely Alpha Legion.
Sneaky sneaky sneaky.

They're the cunning ones. They don't bother with big battles wasting their resurces, they sneak about and get cultists to do all the hard work (like getting shot). In-game they're my favourite, too - no cultists, but for 60pts my ENTIRE army infiltrates. Gotta love that whole 'deploying after the entire of your enemy' feeling, letting you plonk Tank-Hunting autocannons right where they'll do the most harm.

(Not that I play AL, I play "Brotherhood of Vidar" using AL rules, but you get hthe picture)

Torgo
18-08-2006, 02:34
Definitely Emperor's Children. I like them for a variety of reasons, but one of the things I love is that (fluffwise) they are so hated. The Eldar hate them because of Slaanesh, the Imperium hates them for obvious reasons (their very name is blasphemy), the other chaos legions hate them for slacking off during the seige of Terra, and their arch-rivals are the followers of Khorne. The last one doesn't resonate like it used to, since Chaos god coverage is more even these days. Back when I started playing, Chaos was pretty much Khorne, Slaanesh, Khorne, Nurgle, Khorne, Tzeentch and Khorne, with a side of Khorne with Khorne gravy and Khorne pie for dessert. Plus Khorne guys hate it when they lose to the "wussy" army.

P.S. I really wish GW would nerf Siren, it taints the whole list.

New Cult King
18-08-2006, 02:42
I voted both IW and NL. Both are hardcore Legions of warriors largely unconcerned with the religious aspect of Chaos, instead fighting for fighting's sake, driven purely by their hatred of the Corpse Emperor, rather than any desire to please some deity.

Modern_Angel
18-08-2006, 02:48
I voted Alpha Legion, their style of warfare is so different to the rest of the Chaos forces.

I have a 1500pt foot slogging alpha legion army, all infiltrates, add that uncertainty factor to enemies plans when they have no idea where I could put my troops, gives a huge advantage in deployment.

Also have a 2000pt World Eater army, for those times when being subtle just won't do. Used to have a Night Lords army, and had a go at Deathguard / Thousand Sons forces too many moons ago.

Psiweapon
18-08-2006, 02:54
Sacred number 11, terror upon chaos!

ashc
18-08-2006, 08:16
its quite interesting how Thousand Sons currently hold top position, loved for fluff and look and yet not *that* many people play them; im assuming the rules aren't especially loved.

In second are Death Guard, not that surprising, but again i wouldnt say they get a massive amount of play.

biggest surprise i think are the Alpha Legion; good stuff!

Ash

Vanger
18-08-2006, 08:25
1st Alpha Legion. They're all sneaky bastards. Do I have to say more? :)

2nd Thousand Sons: like the egyptian look and all sorcerers theme.

Yog Sogoth
18-08-2006, 09:12
In this order...

Death Guard - I have a mutation fetish ok? (mmmmmm David Cronenberg)
Thousand Sons - Good fluff awesome models
Word Bearers - the fluff is sparse but I LOVE cults and demons
World Eaters - Ehhhhhhhh the models have potential for awesomeness

ashc
18-08-2006, 10:56
You'd think with as much Death Guard players here(Which I voted for) we'd see more tactica threads.

Why need tactica threads when they have a website and forum dedicated to them at www.deathguard.org. :skull:

Hope that helps :)

Ash

Karanthir
18-08-2006, 14:49
Voted Night Lords 1st just because they have the coolest fluff of any Legion (imo), and Thousand Sons and Alpha Legion joint 2nd, again for fluff reasons ( I dont actually play Chaos at all).

WarSmith7
18-08-2006, 14:56
I voted Iron Warriors.

What's not to love? You get big guns, siege mastery, bionics, paranioa, chevrons, they have it all, plus their fluff is one of the best. If the other primarchs had given putruabo his just dues then the IW's would have been a faithful legion until the end, but...

Death Cat
18-08-2006, 15:26
Alpha Legion for me, as ive just started a force of the blighters i am slightly biased:p.

citizenkade
18-08-2006, 15:30
I have 6000 points of Black Legion, and I absolutely love the customizationa spect of the Legion... Not that you can't customize the other Legions, but the BL color scheme works with everything! Black goes with everything!

Falkman
18-08-2006, 16:34
I love the zealous, fanatic ways of the Word Bearers, so they get my vote.

Anubis_the_Harlie
25-08-2006, 18:29
Word Bearers for me, first legion corrupeted and just plain nuts, they encompass the very essence of all things chaos

Chem-Dog
25-08-2006, 18:40
Pre-heresy, Lunar Wolves.
Post Heresy, gotta love the Emperor's Children, boiling down an entire planetary population just so you can get your kicks has to be admired.

serpentine
25-08-2006, 19:49
Thousand Sons, by far.

Their background is great, their colours are great, their theme is great.

Fulcrum
25-08-2006, 20:10
Had to go with Night Lords on this one. By far the best backround, actual personality, tactical flexibility. DArk and gruesome and I love their tactics - lightning strike baby! Speaking of lightning, the colour scheme kicks ass too. After Night Lords comes Alpha Legion (Stealthy/Sneaky = way cool + great fluff) and Iron Warriors (fluff + shooting). I like my legions to be non-affiliated with Chaos but still to hate the Imperium for all it stands for.

brother_fandango
25-08-2006, 20:10
Death Gaurd. Marines with T5, cant be beat.

Fal
25-08-2006, 20:45
Alpha Legion
:cool: fluff

Broadside
25-08-2006, 22:14
i voted iron warriors
reason for my choice: fluff after readin the index astarets i loved the iron cage story so i got storm of iron and loved em even more.
yeah the rules are cool but i only use the 4 heavy support bit with not many oblitarators (all 1 of em they cost 2 much to have 9) so i canrt be called beardy (any way i semi retired me IW as im usin me DW more)

aximand
25-08-2006, 23:21
i voted night lords and word bearers.
word bearers cause they are nuts and the fathers of heresy.they are warped, corrupted and they like it!!!
night lords cause they are true anti imperial commandos,i love them.
i dont know whos first and i ve better find out because after i finish my ig,this winter i want to start a chaos army,but these two are my most beloved!
cheers!

Imperial Stormtrooper
26-08-2006, 00:01
World Eaters! Oh yea! Their craziness is awesome and the senseless killing? Sweeet. Their so much fun.

...Plus Khorne guys hate it when they lose to the "wussy" army.

So true... So true...

FalseAngel
26-08-2006, 04:19
Iron Warriors- Great fluff, only legion not to care for the actual worship part of chaos
Word Bearers- Great fluff again, the original evil in a way, Dark Apostles are a great idea
Alpha Legion- Cool tactics in story, one of the best color schemes

Gearux
26-08-2006, 05:51
Death Guard. Ever since i first started playing 40k, i've always liked the chosen of nurgle. Plus how do you not love a legion who's primarch's name means "child of death" ?

Outlaw289
26-08-2006, 05:57
Plus how do you not love a legion who's primarch's name means "child of death" ?

The smell, for starters. :angel:

Ardathair
26-08-2006, 07:12
Like them all, but had to choose Black Legion.

Black Legion can use every option which is not Legion specific. They can field just about anything, chaos is about diversity. Unfortunately I only have alittle over 2,000 points in Chaos but am working on it.

Lord_Bedlem
26-08-2006, 08:48
Night Lords, they have the best paint scam... lighting looks Awesome:evilgrin:

Lordsaradain
26-08-2006, 11:33
I like world eaters and word bearers the most fluffwise, but I play a black legion army as it has the most options. Can't decide which is my fav so I haven't actually voted.

Antaeus
26-08-2006, 13:05
I'm a big fan of the Thousand Sons, but for me it has to be me good old Iron Warriors. I was hooked once I'd picked up WD256. Exceptionally well-written background and gorgeous art work (the one of them standing before an Imperial Fists-held fortress in particular).

Amps
26-08-2006, 14:26
Deathgaurd... well what do you expect they have the coolest name:p and they are all fat:D which is cool(somehow:wtf: )

bnf
26-08-2006, 17:12
which one is YOUR favourite legion.

World Eaters.

Inquisitor Skyshadow
26-08-2006, 17:21
Alpha Legion. i like there background, and there abilites in game

SpinO
26-08-2006, 17:35
Emperor's Children for me. What could possibly be better than pervert, psychotic killing machines?

Overlord Krycis
26-08-2006, 19:12
Iron Warriors....

Nuff said...

Thunderkiss
27-08-2006, 01:50
I chose IW, cos i play em, but i am highly attracted to EC and TS as well ..... sooooooooooooooooon.

Epicenter
27-08-2006, 02:39
I like the Thousand Sons. I like how there's some ambiguity about why they're with Chaos and why they'd be bitter against the Imperium.

I'd actually say I like EC the most, but the reason why they switched sides was so weak.

Scythe
27-08-2006, 10:58
Word Bearers. The idea of a bunch of marines hoarding thousands of mutants and daemons towarths the enemy is just very appealing to me. Plus I like the dark red colors.

When I might do a Chaos army someday, it will probably be them or a lost and the damned army featuring some allied word bearers.

UnRiggable
27-08-2006, 20:45
This thread needs bumping! On a slightly related note, I only know of eighteen chapters-not counting those added in the new SM codex. What are the other two?

Morathi's Darkest Sin
27-08-2006, 23:03
Thousand Sons, my first 40K army back when I was using Space Marine (old Epic) for a template, so they where red, had a black M as an insignia and where only traitors, not fully Chaos yet. :)

However although I am torn by The Emperors Children, the Thousand Sons are still my faves due to the excellent fluff associated with them and possibly one of the most interesting 40K characters in Ahriman.

If they ever get round to these indivdual Chaos Codexes and plastic accesory sprues get done for the 1ksons then my bank balance is doomed.

Carcass
27-08-2006, 23:32
Black legion.
Because they take everything and their playing style changes according to the roster everytime.

unknownps
28-08-2006, 03:04
word bearers beacue they have the faith..

also i like the colour.. and cause i got sick of my marines so purchased a CSM box and replaced all there head with mutation ones and painted them word beare colours now i just need a dark apostle miniture so i can base my warband on the fact he's proving his faith to lorgar by converting the hardest targets he can find.. loyal marines.

Divine Shadow
28-08-2006, 03:31
Death Guard:

Awesome modeling opportunities (they're supposed to have holes in them)
In the end 'decay' always wins (if they land on your planet, you're toast)
nurglings (nuff said)
They don't use wussy heavy weapons :evilgrin:

unclejimbo827
28-08-2006, 03:34
Death Guard are just major badasses. They're my next army after my guard... and my Iron Warriors.... and my Orks.... and my Tau.... and my 'nids... *sigh*

Rpait
28-08-2006, 03:59
I love the Iron Warriors, and not jut their rules. I played them back before the index astartes article because I loved their backround, the idea of a defensive, paranoid, non fantatical chaos marines. Storm of Iron is still my favorite BL book. Then when the new codex came out and I got sick of the cheese complaints (despite my not even owning a single pie plate tank and only owning one obliterator) I switched to guard.

inq.serge
28-08-2006, 15:40
Black Legion, they made me start 40k, and they have the cheeselord as their leader, Cheeselord Ezikyle Abaddon the Despoiler, Wasrmaster of the Black Legion, the coolest and cheesyest char. in the game.

And they got Ygethmor and Devram Korda.

Little Geek
28-08-2006, 15:52
I dont collect chaos, but when i do im doing a death guard army, i think that they just look awsome and the conversion possibilites are endless.
oh yea and if you make a mistake when your putting them together just say it some sort of decay

bloodlust
28-08-2006, 17:43
I am a hardcore Word Bearers fanatic. I'm still working on painting my 2750 point force! The fluff, the abilities... no troop limitations? Any Daemons?

Flyfish
28-08-2006, 17:52
I like the Black Legion. They got so much potential and variations. you can go all out shooting and blast anybody to pieces or you can make them a super quick hard hitting CC frorce. At the same time you can emulate any of the chaos colors fielding elite marines and daemons.

Once (with the help of some Dreadclaws) I fielded an BL army that only started with one (havoc) unit on the table. The rest dropped right in to the enemy lines with the help of teleporting or the claws. Great fun to see the opponent during set-up.

That kind of freedom and diversity is what mekes me play the Black Legion.

DrDoom
28-08-2006, 19:12
Black Legion. I've tried to start other armies, Orks, Tau, sisters, but every time I end selling them and buying more Chaos. I guess someone in the warp owns my soul, they just haven't let me know yet.

Starscream1138
05-09-2006, 16:37
I'm a big fan of the Black Legion partly because of the whole underdog thing. But mainly it's that you can go whichever way you want with them. You can have an army thats quite close to a Space Marine army on the one hand. Or you can go for the other extreme and have an army kitted out with Obliterators, Daemons and the like.
Personally I like to stick fairly close to the generic end of things, mainly because I really like the marines. But also because I just never got round to buying Obliterators or anything non standard and now have a fairly sizeable army without them.

Hammer Of Heretics
05-09-2006, 16:47
When they say other renegades, who would they be talking about, any ideas?

Azazel
05-09-2006, 16:58
Black Legion gets my vote. I like all the Legions but Black Legion just sums up the whole of Chaos in 40K better.

bob syko
05-09-2006, 18:57
I like iron warriors, I don't have any but knowing I can paint metal makes me like them more for some reason.

mooserehab86
05-09-2006, 21:20
I'm torn between Death Guard and Thousand Sons, but I voted for the Sons because they're the ones I collect. I think their fluff is more interesting than many of the other legions, and on the field I think they're much more challenging and difficult to win with than most other armies.

Brother Muninn
05-09-2006, 22:16
As far as Legions go I'm a fan of most of them, but the Word Bearers strike a particular chord with me. I'm more about the Dark Apostle with armor that looks like dried blood than I am about the bright magenta minis they have featured in the current codex though.

As far as renegades go I prefer the Sons of Malice. Space Marines so devoted to the Hatred of Chaos they became followers of Malal (purportedly).

Nurble
05-09-2006, 22:33
I have a 3000pt Iron Warroir army but i have to say that i love the story behind the Night Lords! There tactics and there premarch is amazing. I could read that story over and over....kind of reminds me of batman.

Glabro
05-09-2006, 22:36
Alpha Legion.
Superb tactical and strategic capabilities combined with a martial pride that rivals that of the World Eaters, they´re out there on their own causing as much havoc and unrest as possible.

luchog
05-09-2006, 22:39
Emperor's Children; though I don't play them currently.

I like them for several reasons. The style, certainly, black and pink, and a decently interesting design. I also like the "striving for ultimate perfection" background combined with them being almost a "chosen" chapeter; combined with a "the higher you climb, the farther you fall" and "those who fight monsters..." result.

And I've always been fond of the Lord of Excess. Slaanesh just fits my personal temperament better than the others. Khorne is too brutal and mindless, Nurgle is too disgusting, and Tzeench too detached and aecetic. After all, anything worth doing, is worth over-doing. :D

Cromenon
05-09-2006, 22:42
thousand sons 4ever!!! concerning background, obviously... i really like all that
wizard-soldier stuff ;)

Dominus Doloris
05-09-2006, 22:49
Those siegemongers the Iron Warriors, because, heavy ordinace is a great way to ensure victory...

Lord Dante
05-09-2006, 23:33
Gah - thats really hard, im drawn towards the Death Guard right now as I like T5 :)

Splagbot
06-09-2006, 04:14
World Eaters, they're very simple folk.

Asmith
05-04-2007, 23:16
Word Bearers :)

shoot22
06-04-2007, 00:20
Thousand Sons just because they play differently and look different from the other chaos SM armies.

kaimarion
06-04-2007, 01:44
black legion

why!get to field most csm models...plus there colour sceme looks good...well to me at least

Spotty
06-04-2007, 01:47
I chose the children not because I play them but because I absolutely love to beat them into the ground whenever I see them. It's not a thing where I am a nasty player or anything, but whenever someone fields lucius or an EC army in general I bring the beatdown because they are the arch enemies of my armies.
(luna wolves and eldar)

SwordsofChaos
06-04-2007, 09:54
Iron Warriors, purely because the color scheme.
(And the basilisk helps alot too!)

TheBloodWindOfChaos
06-04-2007, 11:30
World Eaters! Charge with no care but to slay! You don't worry as much about the right moves and stratigies, you just charge! THe other thing I like is as you charge you start to get cut down and most enemies, except the battle hardened ones, think that they are winning. By the time you are in their lines you are at half stregnth but you know thats all you need to win(I think so w/ 4 attacks each in close combat when charging!:evilgrin: ). Then you just summon the bloodletters and bloodthirster and it's finished.

TheReaper
06-04-2007, 11:34
Thousand sons! an army where almost everybody has 2 wounds are really powerful, and their colour scheme are nice too!

Corax
06-04-2007, 12:48
I would go for the Night Lords. They have an awesome colour scheme and great background. Their memebership is made up of merciless, ruthless killers who recognise no higher authority, have no moral code and adhere to no rules or traditions. Their only belief is that might makes right. If you're going to be evil, you might as well go all out! :evil:

Chainaxe07
06-04-2007, 13:39
Night lords, because they are not filthy mutant chaos worshippers and yet get all the cool spiky armour.
Iron Warriors come a close second, because they chop off their sordid tentacles and replace them with machinery (cool).
They're also quite easy to paint effectively and are quite good as a force.

Grymlok
06-04-2007, 13:57
I have Black Legion and World Eaters, but I voted Black Legion. Okay, the colour scheme is not as interesting as many of the other Legions. It's the background for me. I love the story of their progress from Lunar Wolves to Sons of Horus to Black Legion.

I originally collected World Eaters until I saw the Abbadon model in terminator armour. I had to buy it, and ended up buying a whole army to accompany him! I still love Abbadon as he is still one real tough cookie. The last time I got someone to use my World Eaters against me using my Black Legion Abbadon totally destroyed Kharn. Excellent match up.

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
06-04-2007, 14:15
Night Stalkers
Night Lords
Black Legion

they are my favs :) mostly because fluff /NightHaunter/ and paintjob :)

CaptainSenioris
06-04-2007, 14:26
I have Iron warriors although I've not used them for years.

To quote Baldrick from Blackadder goes 4th, a really funny BBC series:
Here's his poem named 'The German Guns'

BOOM BOOM BOOM... BOOM BOOM BOOM...BOOM BOOM BOOM... BOOM BOOM

I think this sums up Iron warriors. It also sums up the reason most people like them.

UncleCrazy
06-04-2007, 14:28
WorldEatters- Why? Be one with your armor! No shooty army here. Although I have stoped playing them because with the latest codex they became stupid as well as crazy. I loved the old 2nd ed fluff where the WEs armor had grown in the skin, and that the skin was showing on the older WEs.

BloodOrkClanBoss
06-04-2007, 14:36
I voted Alpha Legion for fluff reasons, (They fight their own fight with stealth and cunning)

I do feel kindred with the Iron Warriors and Thousand Sons as well, but give me the sneaky guys.

Flame Boy
06-04-2007, 14:39
I don't really tend to like the Traitor Legions that much, but the ones that stick out in my mind the most are the Iron Warriors. They encompass the most bitter and spiteful aspects of the traitor legions that wells from never being given the respect they deserved. They were always overlooked and underappreciated, and never forgave their oppressors.

After that, I guess it's the Death Guard. The decay and acceptance of despair, then the move to spread that despair to others as a twisted gift is an utter corruption of what they used to stand for. The images of mighty chaos lords standing tall with slit-eyed helms and massive crude medieval crushing maces, morningstars and scythes encrusted with decay... It's truly a fearsome opponent for my loyalists! :)

jfrazell
06-04-2007, 14:45
Iron Warriors- the “shut your yap and die already” crew. Paranoid and addicted to big guns-the wife would probably describe me as that way as well… (ok I love the concept of massed waves of oblits not the heavy support choices oh well).

Emperor’s Children. Sonic rockers in the 40th Millennium. Whats not great about that?

Merceus
06-04-2007, 14:58
Before legion specific rules, my favourite was Alpha Legion because of the colour scheme...

Since the new rules (I say new when they're not actually that new) I have grown a very fond liking for the Word Bearers... they aren't specific to any one god, they have no restricitions on daemons (which I found to be a bummer for most of the undivided legions) and the Accursed Crozius is perhaps my favourite daemon weapon (mmm... invulnerable)... And the reason the Black Legion is my least favourite is because, even though it embodies an excellent look and they're like the 'clones' of horus... they're far too dull for me... just bland, bland, bland, blerg...

Arkzein
06-04-2007, 20:36
Rather even split this, I honestly didn't expect it though as was said earlier probably going back to my starting days when it was usually World Eaters or Black Legion everwhere, with the odd Death Guard.

Emperor's Children here, always loved wild, vibrant Slaaneshi paint schemes. Just a bonus we at last have decent rules (for now!) and models (compare the old 'nettes to the new). Used to be nobody much cared for Slaanesh, now they're fianlly pretty common. I've always wondered if legion choice can be attuned to one's personality, I've seen a lot of cases where it seems so with chaos anyway. (To toss in a stereotypical joke, how many hot headed, rather loud, teenagers have you seen playing World Eaters? :D *laughs*)

MampiSwift
06-04-2007, 20:51
I voted Alpha Legion but I am torn between 2. Alpha legion and the Night Lords (space bats are cool)

Askari
06-04-2007, 20:59
My oh my Thousand Sons are winning? Well I suppose they can't lose at everything.

And before you all start killing me, I play them.

They are the ultimate villiains, casted out by their own father, turned upon by their brothers, and forced into the hands of the Dark Gods [or just God, in their case]

It's tragic.

I also love the Egyptian imagery, the models are exquisite, I'm rather fond of the rules [though chuck us a couple of weapons yeah?] and the stories about Ahriman are quite simply amazing, especially the one where it says if he finds the Black Library, he'll cast down the Emperor immediately and make himself a rival to the Chaos Gods themselves... that is the definition of mad genius =)

Besides, who doesn't want a Legion led by a giant, ginger cyclops?
________
Although good mention [and so votes] go to the Black Legion and the Emperor's Children.

Horus was cool, Abaddon is cool, Lucius is cool, and Fulgrim... oh if only I lived in the 40k world and was a particularly attractive female...

Son of Makuta
06-04-2007, 21:11
Alpha Legion are the coolest by far... :D
"he's behind you...!"

Lepp
06-04-2007, 22:53
I love the World Eaters because, as a Black Templar and former Blood Angel, I thirst for close combat.
I love the pre-heresy Death Guard, and the current ones, for their Grim Reaper aspect.
I love the Iron Warriors because I love big guns, big tanks, and servo arms.

But most of all I love the World Eaters.

Fulgrim's Gimp
06-04-2007, 23:33
Emperor's Children- fallen perfectionists straight out of Hellraiser. A daemon Primarch who has killed/seriously incapacitated two loyalist primarchs. They cloned Horus, bunked off during the siege of Terra to kill the innocent-seriously scary people.
Deathguard-how can you fight Nurgle's Rot ?

Krog Ironclaw
07-04-2007, 00:11
Emperor's Children. Slaanesh is my favorite Chaos God, and the Noise Marines are just too cool. Sonic Weaponry has always appealed to me for some reason.

I also selected Thousand Sons, just because the models kick ass, along with the whole bodyless marine thing.

Brockafally
07-04-2007, 00:18
Worldeaters is my pick. Even though I have a deathguard, and a black legion army I would have to say worldeaters. Dunno, just running across the board and smashing anyone infront of you is so much fun these days. Also makes for quick games and lets you walk around the tournies looking at other peoples armies.

Although, recently they were benched because of the crazy amount of mobile armies and their rules don't benefit them against it at all (rage towards nearest vehicle, your 10000 years old!!! Come on, smarten up!)