PDA

View Full Version : On-line Gaming blues

Darwin_green
30-03-2005, 00:43
hello.

Since the gradual extintion of the arcade, I long for the furious combat between two opponents locked in a wager of death... or a couple of quarters.

So new generation of Gaming consols with online capabilities gave me a glimmer of hope. Finally i can stop playing with myself and start having fun with real opponents/team-mates.

But alas, my dreams came to a halt with the realization that my DSL connection sucks ass.

First I noticed it when I was playing Starwars Battlefront and the animation became choppy, and people started to lie down and die.

Halo 2 played just fine, but I got skooled too hard so I gave up. Damn, even in the "training" rooms I got my ass handed to me.

Last I tried Capcom vs. SNK... damn this game sucks online. or, more appropiately, sucks when I have to wait two minutes to throw a fireball. that is, after I've waited a half an hour for an opponent.(yes, I'm a SF junkie)

So to summerize my opinion... X-box live sucks ass when you got DSL/sucky connection!!!!

plasmadaemon
30-03-2005, 10:26
never, ever play online on consoles, if you want to play on-line then do it on a PC.

Darwin_green
30-03-2005, 11:20
if I could afford to buy a graphics card every 6 months, I would consider buying a PC. But mind you, I really dont care for FPS or RTS games... so I don't think there would be any PC games I'd care for.

Drabant
30-03-2005, 11:30
Aren't battlefront and Halo FPSes?

Anyway, you don't need to buy a new graphics card all the time. I haven't upgraded my comp for over a year and I didn't even have the fanciest stuff when I got it, and I can still play all the new games. Sure, maybe not in the highest of all graphic modes, but seriously, you don't need that.

sigur
30-03-2005, 12:03
I really dont care for FPS or RTS games...

So what games would you like to play online? The only things left I could think of would be beat'em ups (Dead or Alive Ultimate all the way) or Sports games (beh)?

Darwin_green
30-03-2005, 12:38
The only thing that really had my hopes up was to play "Capcom vs. SNK 2" online....

damn lag.
I liked Halo 1/2, but not that much. True I like starwars Battlefront, but come on, it's a run-and-gung starwars game. What's not too love?

Samoth
30-03-2005, 14:15
What country are you in?

Wall Walkers (http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/49136/GroupHome.aspx) might answer some of your questions.

If you dont want to join, then just have a look at this (http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=2157857&postRepeater1-p=1) thread.

Basically, the further you are from the host of a game, the longer the infomation takes to travel back and forth. You wont notice it when walking around, only for things when... things are being done, such as throwing a grenade, or most particularly close up with weapons like the sword and shotgun. Playing games with lots of people living close-ish to you helps solve the problem. In all their infinite wisdom, bungie is yet to introduce regional filters into the matchmaking playlists. And even more wisdomly, microsoft produces halo 2, the biggest console game ever, the biggest live game ever, and they still dont implement any sort of regional filter and continue to screw over all the non american live customers.

Yet one more reason to hate MS.

New Cult King
31-03-2005, 00:51
Finally i can stop playing with myself

Never stop playing with yourself.