PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Online Final promo cut.

Lord Dante
17-08-2006, 13:51
EA released today the final cut of thier WHO trailler first seen a few months back at E3.

So if u like Orks,dwarves,D Elves H Elves, Chaos and humans having a big fight in some ultra detailed animation, click below.

Warhammer Online (http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/video/easterEggs/WAR_Promo_081606.html)

Alathir
17-08-2006, 14:05
Yeah, that was an awesome trailer. Great stuff.

I only wish my precious Wood Elves were included in the trailer!

der_lex
17-08-2006, 14:08
Sorry to have to say this again, but this should really be in the computer games section...

Simsandwich
17-08-2006, 14:31
Sa-Weet.
But FMV movies are one thing..
Gameplay is another.

vampires are cool!
17-08-2006, 14:40
how owned did the warrior priest get!

der_lex
17-08-2006, 14:48
I strongly prefer the Mark of Chaos trailer, though. It has better-looking character models (The Slayer looks really, really awful) and no silly attempts at 'humour' (the Orc/catapult bit still makes me cringe).

Venkh
17-08-2006, 15:42
Yeah, that was an awesome trailer. Great stuff.

I only wish my precious Wood Elves were included in the trailer!

They were in the trailer, hiding in the woods denying us their victory points:D

DeathMasterSnikch
17-08-2006, 16:14
I can't wait for leet speaking elves...no ponsey noble ways for them, oh no. 'OMFGWTFnoob!!!11!one! U R rly teh wurst pl8ur evr!1!' *Cringe*

m1s1n
17-08-2006, 16:56
I think the animation is pretty amazing. Let's see the game.

Alathir
17-08-2006, 17:07
I could watch trailers like this and that mark of chaos one forever. They should just make a trailer which cycles through ALL the races generals fighting.

I'd love to see a wood elf highborn vs a tomb king

Dtrik
17-08-2006, 19:10
its going to take alot for this game to beat out WoW but I think that it could get alot of good attention. Of course there hasn't been too much light shed on the game other than the focus on PvP.

As for the silly attempts at humor, warhammer has always been dotted with humorous characters, lore, etc. You can't take the game too seriously. But that trailer was pretty cool, the priest got wtfpwned. Mark of Chaos trailer still beats all though (can't WAIT for that game!)

MadJackMcJack
17-08-2006, 19:27
(the Orc/catapult bit still makes me cringe).

Cringe? Christ, I was still laughing hard an hour after I first watched it. Couldn't see properly for 10 minutes due to tears in my eyes, and my mouth ached like a bitch.

Bubble Ghost
17-08-2006, 19:56
I wonder why they put a Witch Elf in it.

:rolleyes:

NakedFisherman
17-08-2006, 19:58
I wonder why they put a Witch Elf in it.

:rolleyes:

That's a Witch Elf? I thought it was a human in S&M gear. It looks nothing like an Elf.

Bubble Ghost
17-08-2006, 20:10
That's a Witch Elf? I thought it was a human in S&M gear. It looks nothing like an Elf.

:eyebrows: You're joking, right? Trying to make fun of the trailer? Because it does look like a Witch Elf. They've stuffed up a lot, these people, but that's one thing you can't catch them on.

NakedFisherman
17-08-2006, 20:57
:eyebrows: You're joking, right? Trying to make fun of the trailer? Because it does look like a Witch Elf. They've stuffed up a lot, these people, but that's one thing you can't catch them on.

No, the facial structure is completely off.

gorenut
17-08-2006, 21:16
I strongly prefer the Mark of Chaos trailer, though. It has better-looking character models (The Slayer looks really, really awful) and no silly attempts at 'humour' (the Orc/catapult bit still makes me cringe).

I agree with you. I totally prefer the Mark of Chaos trailer. I am even anticipating Mark of Chaos more than this game (call me cheap, but I'm not a fan of paying monthly fo ra game).

I do like the Orc and Dwarf fight, but that's about it. The Elves don't look "elvish" enough and the Chaos warrior doesn't look bulky enough.

cybertron2000uk
17-08-2006, 22:08
nice ending....ouch!!! Mark of Chaos trailer was more enjoyable...more like a film...but still its all good stuff...

Bubble Ghost
17-08-2006, 22:13

Oh come on, that's a bit pedantic. Elves are supposed to look very attractive to humans, after all, and they don't if they all have the cheekbones and complexions of heroin junkies. The best way to illustrate elves is to illustrate tall, thin, attractive humans. Maybe they could have done something with the eyes or whatever, but that's a pretty trivial thing to pick up on when there's so much else wrong with the game.:D

NakedFisherman
17-08-2006, 22:47
Elves are supposed to look attractive to humans?

der_lex
17-08-2006, 22:59
In just about every myth or fantasy story, Elves are described as beings of great grace and beauty, so yes, I'd say they are attractive on the outside. The inside can be another matter (read Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett for a wonderful example of this).
I haven't read anything in the Warhammer fluff that contradicts the abovementioned view on Elves.

As for the orc/catapult bit, that's the kind of 'man gets football in groin' physical humour one usually sees on Funniest Home Video shows and such, and that has never been able to put a smile on my face. It also made the Orcs look a lot sillier than they should be, and seems like a feeble attempt to rationalise the 'Orcs travel long distances by catapult' crap that they've decided to put in the game.

Highborn
18-08-2006, 00:11
They have to rationalise the 'squig herders control their squigs by getting eaten and then poking at the squig from inside' thing first ...

... and I think Warhammer's elves stopped being beautiful when they changed the eyes. Apparently whoever does the cutscenes for EA never got the memo, although Mythic/Digic did it brilliantly.

This thing's going to have a rough time with the comparisons to WoW and MoC.

Alathir
18-08-2006, 03:37

You know... once you say something like this.. I think you need to take a step back from warhammer for awhile...

NakedFisherman
18-08-2006, 05:01
You know... once you say something like this.. I think you need to take a step back from warhammer for awhile...

To be honest, the entire video is caricatured. That's why the MoC trailer looks so much better -- they actually look real in it.

Alathir
18-08-2006, 05:39
Sure the mark of chaos one was better, but I still loved this one.

devolutionary
18-08-2006, 10:15
Seriously major points for the Warrior Priest getting all DBZ and still being utterly defeated. Mark 1 for Chaos and all it's goodness.

sigur
18-08-2006, 10:44
To be honest, the entire video is caricatured. That's why the MoC trailer looks so much better -- they actually look real in it.

Did Warhammer ever look "real"? It's all a caricature...

I didn't like the way the Orcs just grunted and groaned. They have a language, damnit. Although I admit that they probably don't need it too much when being in combat.

WarSmith7
18-08-2006, 10:48
I liked every battle scene, but the orc catapult thing was horrible, seriously? after, I dunno, first hundred times they fired it, wouldnt they realize that if the enemy was still firing in volumes, its time to raise the damn sights just a little bit.

I still like the MoC video better, the music that accompanied the secne where the priest takes one to the back of the head and is looking around at his men being slaughtered was beautiful and really conveyed a sense of overwhelming opposition. If I was a softer lad i'd bet I would have had a tear rolling down my cheak when I saw that video.

The Brigadier
18-08-2006, 12:24
Why is it that the dwarf and orc fight, along with the High Elf and Dark Elf fight end inconclusivly, but the Empire and Chaos fight end with the Empire guy getting squashed?

Why is it the Empire always seem to get squished by Chaos?

Neknoh
18-08-2006, 12:44
because it's the ending trailer and requires an ending by most people viewing it, the other scenes couldn't have ended in that way due to slimly cutting into the next.

devolutionary
18-08-2006, 12:51
Why is it that the dwarf and orc fight, along with the High Elf and Dark Elf fight end inconclusivly, but the Empire and Chaos fight end with the Empire guy getting squashed?

Why is it the Empire always seem to get squished by Chaos?

The Empire always win though. Every Everchosen has been defeated, and a good number of them by the Empire. They're the biggest nation, the most advanced nation. They have all the advantages, and for once the obvious good guy got crushed. It's a fine twist IMO :D

Lab Monkey
18-08-2006, 13:11
Did you see the Orc warlord beating his shield to intimidate the Slayer? Now thát was awesome..

whitra
18-08-2006, 15:28
Brigadier: If the trailer continued 30 seconds longer, you would have seen the chaos warrior flattened by a cannonball.

Bubble Ghost
18-08-2006, 15:44
Did Warhammer ever look "real"? It's all a caricature...

The caricature is partly because of the size of the miniatures. The art looks more realistic.

The whole point of Warhammer is that, while there's magic and giants and ****, the aesthetic, the infrastructure, the politics are all realistic and believable. Warhammer's entire "thing" is that it's what the real world would be like if there were magic and giants and ****. This game, though, is implying that its decades of proudly-proclaimed source material amount to nothing more than cardboard stereotypes hitting each other and sub-Road Runner sight gags (was I the only one expecting a circle fade out and "th-th-that's all, folks!" when the Orc slammed into the wall?). There's a place for all that, certainly, but not as a representation of Warhammer to a new market. Thank God for Mark of Chaos.

I will freely admit that it was cool to see such a slick animation of Warhammer characters, though.

MadJackMcJack
18-08-2006, 18:40
To me, the orcapault is perfectly within the character of the orcs. I mean, they already fling gobbos about, so why not orcs themselves? They'd love to get to the fightin' quicker, and what better way then the catapault? Think of them as the fantasy version of the Kult of Speed. Sure, it kills them, but orcs aren't that bright anyway (as shown by the pile of previous users of Air-Orc at the bottom of the wall).

Bubble Ghost
18-08-2006, 19:30
I'm not sure that it is - you can believe the odd one might try it but it'd be a fairly exceptional orc who resorted to that. Which is exactly my point. It may be in character for a few to do it, but even if it is, it misrepresents Warhammer as a whole. It says "35 years of Warhammer" proudly at the start, and then proceeds to reduce all that history and depth to 2D stereotypes and childish comedy.

Imagine trying to explain to someone that you read novels set in a world which introduces itself with a Wile E. Coyote set piece - I have enough trouble explaining to my mates that Warhammer is actually a fairly intelligent setting as it is, this trailer would leave me no hope. It'd be the same as introducing a documentary on football with a shot of some hooligans, or a piece on the history of music with an S-Club 7 video. It just wouldn't do it justice.

MadJackMcJack
18-08-2006, 19:50
Orcs have always been misrepresentative of Warhammer as a whole due to their without-a-care attitude to life, compared to everyone else's doom and gloom. And it's a damned good thing too, as variety is rarely a bad thing.

Bubble Ghost
18-08-2006, 20:21
Er... what? I'm not trying to prove that wacky comedy doesn't represent Warhammer, that's a given. I'm saying it's silly to put something that doesn't doesn't represent it right up front.

Arnizipal
19-08-2006, 14:51
I didn't like the way the Orcs just grunted and groaned. They have a language, damnit.
Us humans just don't understand it. ;)

Alathir
19-08-2006, 16:07
I'm not sure that it is - you can believe the odd one might try it but it'd be a fairly exceptional orc who resorted to that. Which is exactly my point. It may be in character for a few to do it, but even if it is, it misrepresents Warhammer as a whole. It says "35 years of Warhammer" proudly at the start, and then proceeds to reduce all that history and depth to 2D stereotypes and childish comedy.

Imagine trying to explain to someone that you read novels set in a world which introduces itself with a Wile E. Coyote set piece - I have enough trouble explaining to my mates that Warhammer is actually a fairly intelligent setting as it is, this trailer would leave me no hope. It'd be the same as introducing a documentary on football with a shot of some hooligans, or a piece on the history of music with an S-Club 7 video. It just wouldn't do it justice.

You have what, maybe one and a half, two minutes for a trailer of a game. They don't have time to represent the sheer depth and complicated nature of the warhammer world. It's only fair that they had to use stereotypes and humor that while not entirely accurate or overwhelmingly funny, does sum up the fact that this is a world that doesn't take itself as seriously as say, middle earth.

Kasrkin 666
19-08-2006, 17:23
:cool: That was awsome! You can play a Chaos now! Defenitly gonna get this game. Too bad there's no Wood Elves.:cries:

-666:evilgrin:

Snakebite
20-08-2006, 20:02
:cool: That was awsome! You can play a Chaos now! Defenitly gonna get this game. Too bad there's no Wood Elves.:cries:

-666:evilgrin:

Also my first reaction!

Tanith Ghost
21-08-2006, 06:12
I have to say I outright LOVED the dark vs high elf fight.
The two for them looked like Snake eyes and Storm shadow going no holds barred. It really showed the depth of the feud between their two factions.
Those elves fought like they really hated eachother.

The Orc-Slayer fight wasn't as good, save for when the dwarf got his ass kicked then proceeded to spit out the broken teeth and charg right back in with an evil grin.

Mark of Chaos was a much better trailer though- I'll never again underestimate what a mess a warrior preist can make with a warhammer and a bad additude.

DeathMasterSnikch
21-08-2006, 06:18
Then you play the game ;)

Wow had a better intro. It's gameplay doesn't deliver after you reach lvl 60.

Bubble Ghost
21-08-2006, 13:34
You have what, maybe one and a half, two minutes for a trailer of a game. They don't have time to represent the sheer depth and complicated nature of the warhammer world. It's only fair that they had to use stereotypes and humor that while not entirely accurate or overwhelmingly funny, does sum up the fact that this is a world that doesn't take itself as seriously as say, middle earth.

I'm not suggesting they should try to represent anything complicated, nor that any details about it were false. The problem isn't with the trailer, it's with the game - the trailer is bang on as a reflection of what we already knew about the game, i.e. that it wilfully presents a 2D fantasy stereotype world when part of the point of Warhammer is that it goes beyond that. It's a complete waste of potential, and that's sad.

Alathir
21-08-2006, 13:37
Fair enough, I know nothing about the game and thought you were commenting on the trailer alone.

The trailer still kicked ass

Reabe
21-08-2006, 14:27
Seriously major points for the Warrior Priest getting all DBZ and still being utterly defeated. Mark 1 for Chaos and all it's goodness.

Yes, mark one for it not being White Dwarf and we still get "OMG! Chaos teh bestest eva! BUY IT!" advertising-type messages.
I would also pick at that it's odd to find out that after owning and reading the Dark Elves book for years that Witch Elves' knives have suddenly gained Magic Resistance (2). At least.
Also, I'm ashamed that GW agreed to a advert that part of it's choosen forms to entice you to buy it is "ZOMG! BEWBIES!". Welcome to World War of Warhammercraft.

Trailer sucks (We get tantilising glimpes of seeing a Warrior Priest envoking power from his god, but that's cut for more boring footage of bloody Chaos Warriors: Yes, you're heavily armoured and Super-Sayian at fighting, but you're still boring. If you weren't such a pussy-foot and, you know, stuck by a god that isn't Khorne, then you'd be impressive. Until then, you're just an advertising gimic.), story sucks (Malekith hiring Orcs? Chaos Zombies?) and I won't be paying for just another media for GW is try and add me to the horde that consists of mostly 12 year olds who think Chaos is "teh coolest".

Monty Python does anti-climatic well. This advert does not.

Edit: Wait, I've just relised that the Chaos Warrior has the smallest of Eyes of Tzeench on him. I hope he gets spawned for such rubbish devoction to the Lord of Change.

Skycaptain
21-08-2006, 14:45
Oh god the orc and the catapult... totally family entertainment. High elfs hair looks like poo. Chaos vs priest on the other hand rock.

Dat Wildboy
21-08-2006, 16:49
i loved it. i'd seen the first bits, but the chaos lord vs warrior priest was great! i love that thing, its in my favourites now!

Krypt
21-08-2006, 16:58

I thought that would be a Doom Diver but it is a fully grown Orc on the catapult :wtf: But I don't think it was a real attempt at actual "hahaha", it was realistic in the fact that Orc devices of siege are crude and pure guesswork. And anyway, what's one more splattered greenskin ? :)

Sgt John Keel
21-08-2006, 20:52
Still sucks. Awful animation, and not in character at all. This is a golden moment for a quote made by Steve Jobs commenting om Microsoft, but on Mythic instead.

Dawn of War and Mark of Chaos' intro/trailers are vastly superior, and actually has a coherent theme. This is the FMV equivalent of a picture slideshow.

/Adrian

TheWarSmith
22-08-2006, 08:32
It's very much based off of the WoW trailor where you saw 1 on 1 face offs(orc versus night elf, mage versus warlock, hunter versus shaman). I thought it was a beautiful cut scene trailor and accomplished exactly what it should have.

But dude, WTF was a warrior priest doing fighting a chaos champion?

Oh, and why was a HE mage performing halfway decent in close combat?

Bubble Ghost
22-08-2006, 09:15
Yes, mark one for it not being White Dwarf and we still get "OMG! Chaos teh bestest eva! BUY IT!" advertising-type messages.
I would also pick at that it's odd to find out that after owning and reading the Dark Elves book for years that Witch Elves' knives have suddenly gained Magic Resistance (2). At least.
Also, I'm ashamed that GW agreed to a advert that part of it's choosen forms to entice you to buy it is "ZOMG! BEWBIES!". Welcome to World War of Warhammercraft.

Trailer sucks (We get tantilising glimpes of seeing a Warrior Priest envoking power from his god, but that's cut for more boring footage of bloody Chaos Warriors: Yes, you're heavily armoured and Super-Sayian at fighting, but you're still boring. If you weren't such a pussy-foot and, you know, stuck by a god that isn't Khorne, then you'd be impressive. Until then, you're just an advertising gimic.), story sucks (Malekith hiring Orcs? Chaos Zombies?) and I won't be paying for just another media for GW is try and add me to the horde that consists of mostly 12 year olds who think Chaos is "teh coolest".

Monty Python does anti-climatic well. This advert does not.

Whoa.

This is actually the one bit of the trailer that gives us a glimpse of what Warhammer should be like. If anyone's going Super Saiyan it's the priest, who you expect to make some mystical energised comeback; Warhammer appears as if it's going to do that and then WHOMP the villain wins anyway. The Chaos Warrior winning isn't an anticlimax, it's the punchline of the great cosmic joke that Warhammer is based on: that Chaos is not the flush-the-toilet-and-they're-gone traditional bad guys, and you can't beat them just by being the main character.

This part of the trailer got it bang on. It's a shame the thing as a whole is rubbish, but then, as we know, that's because it directly reflects what is shaping up to be a rubbish game (as a reflection of its source material at least).

Alathir
22-08-2006, 10:53
That priest getting kneed is going to be how i envision all ward saves failing from now on. Just the dude with the ward going super saiyan and then the attacker just going 'yeah, good one' *pow*

TheWarSmith
22-08-2006, 18:01
You guys are WAYYYY too critical. It's a beautiful trailor. If I was the 3d artist who made this I'd find out where all you lived, dress up in chaos armour and knee you in the kidneys and smash your face with a mace!!!

Let's give the artists and designers credit where it's due, which it certainly is. I suppose you wanted CG footage of warhammer armies going up against each other or something?

Grow up and learn to enjoy stuff and stop picking it apart.

The reason the game will fail is because the only people who are going to play it are people that are gonna play and bitch and tear it apart just cause it doesn't fit into their exact image of what the game should be.

Oh, and why did it even take half a second for the witch elf to dispatch a high elf mage? These are the arguments you'll hear in gameplay. "OMG!!! my warrior should be able to PWN priests. NERF SHAMANS!!"

Tanith Ghost
22-08-2006, 18:11

:eyebrows: How do you figure? The witch elf is supposed to wear very little-
the lack of garb is to allow freedom of movement in a fight, and with their lack of armor mobility is survival.

It's hardly 'OMG BOOBS BOOBS' to show a witch elf. Of all the dark elf infantry to run up against in hth, the witch elf is by far the deadliest.
Making her an idea choice to fight the high elf.

The motivation to but there is the sheer fury of that duel, not, as you so childishly put it, "ZOMG! BEWBIES".

Arnizipal
22-08-2006, 18:45
The motivation to but there is the sheer fury of that duel, not, as you so childishly put it, "ZOMG! BEWBIES".

Ahem...
Observe this quote from the W.A.R. Newsletter

Who will win the fight between
the Dark Elf Witch Elf and the
High Elf Mage?

Winner: Dark Elf Witch Elf
(71% of the votes)

Loser: High Elf Mage
(29% of the votes)

Why?

Apparently winning has a lot to do with female anatomy. We should have known better than asking this question! Here are some of the responses we could print in a family friendly newsletter:
"High Elf fails his concentration check."
- Prityana

"She's a femme fatale. Kills people and looks great doing it."
- Devin

"Two swords beat a silly stick!"
- Dave

"She reminds me of my ex-wife!"
- Patrick

"Less clothes equals more killing"
- Sean

"She uses L'Oreal and she's worth it."
- Munir

"Because I would let her beat me!"
- Rob

An our staff favorite -
"Hamster, a Dentist, Steven Seagal!"
- Berg

MadJackMcJack
22-08-2006, 18:50
For me, it's the raw brutality of the Orc/Dwarf fight that wins me over. Neither of them are using any fancy moves or atheletic manouvers, they're just wailing on each other and trying to overpower each other. Hell, when the Orc clobbers the Dwarf with his sawn-off choppa, the Dwarf actually flies off the ground. Now that's a proper brutal fight.

"Less clothes equals more killing"
- Sean

Hahaha!

Bubble Ghost
22-08-2006, 18:54
Picking apart the details is silly. Having a go at them for having a high elf duel with a Witch Elf, or the Witch Elf's knives blocking a spell, all that stuff, is pointless and blinkered. That sort of thing would all be there regardless, because this is a more detailed game than the tabletop wargame and isn't restricted to the tabletop game's limited, stylised reflection of Warhammer's cultures. They quite rightly weren't sticking to the tabletop game. That would have been, and I hope I'm not getting too technical here, ****. They were showing the minutae of what the tabletop rules bluntly summarise and categorise.

What is a legitimate criticism is that it doesn't seem to be reflecting Warhammer properly. Why do a Warhammer game if it's not going to a be a Warhammer game? I'm sure it'll be fine and dandy in gameplay terms, and they look like they've got one or two interesting mechanics; but it still seems to be doing what Fire Warrior did in 40K, i.e. come up with something that completely fails to take advantage of the license. In this game's case, they're implying that Warhammer is shallow and juvenile while they're at it. I would love to be proved wrong on this last point when the game is released.

And the inclusion of a Witch Elf as the Dark Elf representative in the trailer does look the teensiest bit cynical, you have to admit. Yes, they're recognisable - even iconic - Dark Elf troops; yes, they're popular; yes, they're contextually justified. But still, all that's a little convenient for an industry that has a notable history of cookie-cutter kick ass chicks with guns and/or swords and scanty clothing. It does look cool, conceded, but you'd be naive not to wonder about the motives.

vampires are cool!
22-08-2006, 18:55
You guys are WAYYYY too critical. It's a beautiful trailor. If I was the 3d artist who made this I'd find out where all you lived, dress up in chaos armour and knee you in the kidneys and smash your face with a mace!!!

Let's give the artists and designers credit where it's due, which it certainly is. I suppose you wanted CG footage of warhammer armies going up against each other or something?

Grow up and learn to enjoy stuff and stop picking it apart.

The reason the game will fail is because the only people who are going to play it are people that are gonna play and bitch and tear it apart just cause it doesn't fit into their exact image of what the game should be.

Oh, and why did it even take half a second for the witch elf to dispatch a high elf mage? These are the arguments you'll hear in gameplay. "OMG!!! my warrior should be able to PWN priests. NERF SHAMANS!!"

hell yeah, i agree, and i recon the games going to be great too. theres some out there with way to much bile in their throats

MadJackMcJack
22-08-2006, 19:19
And the inclusion of a Witch Elf as the Dark Elf representative in the trailer does look the teensiest bit cynical, you have to admit. Yes, they're recognisable - even iconic - Dark Elf troops; yes, they're popular; yes, they're contextually justified. But still, all that's a little convenient for an industry that has a notable history of cookie-cutter kick ass chicks with guns and/or swords and scanty clothing. It does look cool, conceded, but you'd be naive not to wonder about the motives.

The rest of the Dark Elves are basically High Elves with black hair and dark robes. At least the witch elfstands as a good contrast to the High Elf.

Krypt
22-08-2006, 19:46
The Mark Of Chaos trailer contains way better graphics, but the WO trailer contains more races. Personal favourate for me is MOC trailer. That Bloodhirster is gunna get his butt kicked *sings*

Gorbad Ironclaw
22-08-2006, 20:00
hell yeah, i agree, and i recon the games going to be great too. theres some out there with way to much bile in their throats

I don't think people are disputing that it might be a decent game, in regards to gameplay(although personally, the style of game have zero interest for me). What Bubble Ghost is talking about, and what I agree with, is that it's not really a Warhammer game.

It doesn't take advantage of the setting it's in, and seems like another generic fantasy knock off, dressed slightly up with Warhammer names.

Bubble Ghost
22-08-2006, 20:35
The rest of the Dark Elves are basically High Elves with black hair and dark robes. At least the witch elfstands as a good contrast to the High Elf.

That statement doesn't actually do anything to refute the point I was making. Regardless of any logical justification, there is still an element of "look, look, play WAR, we have nekkid chicks!" The computer games industry is infamous for that sort of thing. Even if these people put a Witch Elf in for entirely innocent reasons (coughyeahrightcoughcough), people's reading of it is still going to be clouded by popular culture in general and computer games' history with this subject in particular, and it was daft of them if they thought it wouldn't be.

Tanith Ghost
23-08-2006, 20:42
Ahem...
Observe this quote from the W.A.R. Newsletter

Not that I don't beleive you, but could you post the link? I'd like to see the insanity for myself. *concedes the point*

Still, I'd back the witch elf in that duel every time- Frenzy, two hand weapons, and initiative five. That mage had better have a solid ward save or some serious weapon skill or he's dead meat.

@ubble Ghost- Ok, I'll admit it is possible the witch elf was picked to fight the mage because of her lack of garb. But still-A witch elf is also THE scariest DE infantry unit to run up against in hth. At least let me fool myself and think that's the real reason they used her.:p

Arnizipal
23-08-2006, 23:07
Not that I don't beleive you, but could you post the link? I'd like to see the insanity for myself. *concedes the point*

Well, it's a newsletter. You have to sign up to their mailinglist and you get it by email every month.
I'll forward it to you if you give me your email address.

EDIT: This month also features a look on the Blackfire Pass gamezone, including a map . Can someone refresh my memery and tell me if Bugman's Brewery has always been in Blackfire Pass?

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-08-2006, 07:44
Now, I'm not an expert on that. But I thought it was to the west of the empire, nearer the mountain range seperating the Empire from Bretonia?

MadJackMcJack
24-08-2006, 09:39
Aye, the Dwarf army book puts it on the river Sol, in the south-west Empire. BlackFire Pass is over to the south-east.