PDA

View Full Version : Alt. 2k Lizzies

Dtrik
17-08-2006, 20:02
Ive been messing around with some new lists and this is one that Ive been trying to make keeping the upcoming 7th edition in mind. One of my main concerns is combining the two saurus units into one unstoppable block (thus saving some points for elsewhere too) and the equipment of my two characters. Looking for lots of helpful tips for this list, Im still quite noobish.

LORDS & HEROES

-Slann Mage Priest (3rd gen.) 525pts
BSB, Divine Plaque of Protection, Sun Standard of Chotec
NOTE: Embedded in Temple Guard unit

-Skink Priest 125pts
Lvl 2, 1xDispell Scroll

[U]CORE

-11Temple Guard (Slann leads unit) 198pts
HW+Shield, Halberds

-15 Saurus Warriors 210pts
Full Command, HW+Shield

Full Command, HW+Shield

-10 Skink Skirmishers 60pts
HW+Blowpipe

HW+Shield, Javelin

[U]SPECIAL

-3 Kroxigors 194pts
Champion, Great Weapons

-5 Saurus Cavalry 175pts
HW+Shield, Spear

RARE

-Stegadon 235pts
5 skink crew

TOTAL: 1997pts

Final Thoughts:I think that by combining the two saurus units I can save some points (maybe to make a flying skink priest) and make it more difficult for them to break. Perhaps I could shave off some of the saurus and add to the cavalry to make a harder hitting unit rather than purely flank protection. The Slann could use to have some equipment changed, maybe take the banner that causes fear.

As for tactics I'd most likely line up the three core blocks with the saurus warriors on the paralell flanks of the temple guard/slann. The two small lines of skinks would be used for ranged protection, lining them up and stretching them thin to the point that they protect the saurus (most likely could stretch them to 40" wide in total). I would have the Saurus cavalry on the front of one flank to either protect or seek out lone casters/war machines. On another flank I could have the stegadon, however more towards the rear to provide a bit of ranged fire before the melee units get into combat. The kroxigors could either be in front of one of the saurus units so that they could charge through the skinks, or simply on one of the weaker flanks to provide steady protection.

All thougts and suggestions are very very appreciated as I am still trying to find my way as a general and could use all the help I can get.

ardude
18-08-2006, 10:33
Ive been messing around with some new lists and this is one that Ive been trying to make keeping the upcoming 7th edition in mind. One of my main concerns is combining the two saurus units into one unstoppable block (thus saving some points for elsewhere too) and the equipment of my two characters. Looking for lots of helpful tips for this list, Im still quite noobish.

LORDS & HEROES

-Slann Mage Priest (3rd gen.) 525pts
BSB, Divine Plaque of Protection, Sun Standard of Chotec
NOTE: Embedded in Temple Guard unit

sorry to say but 3th gen slanns SUCK. the only thing better then a 4th is drainmagic and 1 wound) and the second gen is to my oppinion way better but costs alot of points and when he dies the enemy gains another extra 200 pts)

-Skink Priest 125pts
Lvl 2, 1xDispell Scroll

good, but no dadium of power? ( that item is sooooo great)

[U]CORE

-11Temple Guard (Slann leads unit) 198pts
HW+Shield, Halberds

if you lose your slann you (almost alwais) lose the game, 11 temple guards are WAY to less get atleast around 20 (maby 16 if your in points trouble)

Full Command, HW+Shield

Full Command, HW+Shield

( I personally rather have units of 20 but this wil work to, gives you a bigger line of units.

HW+Blowpipe

HW+Shield, Javelin

good

[U]SPECIAL

-3 Kroxigors 194pts
Champion, Great Weapons

good, if you need points get rid of the champion

-5 Saurus Cavalry 175pts
HW+Shield, Spear

good

RARE

-Stegadon 235pts
5 skink crew

good

TOTAL: 1997pts

Final Thoughts:I think that by combining the two saurus units I can save some points (maybe to make a flying skink priest) and make it more difficult for them to break. Perhaps I could shave off some of the saurus and add to the cavalry to make a harder hitting unit rather than purely flank protection. The Slann could use to have some equipment changed, maybe take the banner that causes fear.

make points free for the temple guards that's the most important!

As for tactics I'd most likely line up the three core blocks with the saurus warriors on the paralell flanks of the temple guard/slann. The two small lines of skinks would be used for ranged protection, lining them up and stretching them thin to the point that they protect the saurus (most likely could stretch them to 40" wide in total). I would have the Saurus cavalry on the front of one flank to either protect or seek out lone casters/war machines. On another flank I could have the stegadon, however more towards the rear to provide a bit of ranged fire before the melee units get into combat. The kroxigors could either be in front of one of the saurus units so that they could charge through the skinks, or simply on one of the weaker flanks to provide steady protection.

your taktics seem the work (I only rather have kroxigors or saurus caf to flank). if you make some view changes in the list you will have a great army

All thougts and suggestions are very very appreciated as I am still trying to find my way as a general and could use all the help I can get.

well goodluch

CarlostheCraven
18-08-2006, 15:09
My 2 cents

A Slann is a very hefty investment, and often carries the fate of your army on his head. I would either tool him right up with a large temple guard bodyguard or keep him at 5th Gen, give him the 2+ ward VS shooting and solo him. I actually won a tournament going with the later tactic, although I used swarms as protection, which in 7th ed will not work nearly as well. Simply put, a mid-range Slann is not points efficient. A fully kitted 2nd gen toad with 5+ ward for his unit (plaque), an extra spell (plaque), diadem of power, and fear banner (the Sun standard iirc?), can dominate games.

The priest - buy him either another Dispel Scroll or a Power Stone for a late game surprise.

Other heroes - a "Superman" build Saurus is incredible - Jaquar charm, GW, and spawnings/ward save to whatever you desire make him a dominant hero. He probably will not fit in this army though.

The Temple Guard unit is too small - you want at least 16, perhaps as many as 20. Throw in a War banner, as standards and the BSB stack in 7th ed, giving your +3 CR and cause fear for your two banners.

The Saurus warrior units are close to being bang on. Given the new rules for 5 wide for rank bonus (which forces 20 mm bases to be wide enough for 6 25 mm to always get their attacks), I would consider running a 6X3 formation, giving you 13 attacks and 2 ranks. Therefore 18 strong is what you want.

The blowpipe skinks want to scout. You want them advanced and in position early so that they do not have to move with their multiple shot weapons. The Javelins may want to scout, or use them as the screen for the Kroxs.

My suggestions so far have all involved increasing the points value of the things you have, so now we have to make some cuts.

Drop the Champion in the Krox - 20 pts for one attack is not worth it.

Drop the Saurus Cav. As good as they are, to make them worthwhile you need a standard and Huacnchi's Blessed Totem (magic movement) and probably 7 strong. Given the rest of your list, this is not feasible without a major overhaul.

Drop the Stegadon for 3 Salamander Hunting Packs. They will prove way more useful for softening enemy rank bonuses, and nearly as good for counter attacking as the Stegadon.

Those tweaks open up 235 points for the upgrades to the Saurus, temple Gaurd, Slann and Priests. If you still need more room, drop one Salamander from the pack for an additional 65 points of play.

Good Luck
Cheers

Dtrik
23-08-2006, 15:02
Alright, thank you very much for the ideas. I haven't replied yet because I have been working very hard on a new list combining some of those ideas you listed as well as other suggestions throughout the board. Here is what I came up with:

LORDS & HEROES:

Slann Mage Priest (2nd Gen.) 585 pts
BSB, Cupped Hands of the Old Ones(unit gets 5+ward, not CC), Plaque of Dominion(+1 power & dispell dice)

Saurus Scar Veteran (embedded in blessed saurus unit) 129 pts
HW+Shield, Light Armor, Burning Blade of Chotec (additional -2 armor save), Blessed Spawning of Chotec(roll an extra die when pursuing and choose the highest two)

Skink Priest 125 pts
Lvl.2 wizard, Dispell Scroll (x1)

CORE:

16 Temple Guard 323 pts
HW+Shield, Halberd, Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers 60 pts
HW+Shield, Javelin

10 Skink Skirmishers 70 pts
HW+Blowpipe, Scouts

SPECIAL:

24 Saurus Warriors 338 pts
HW+Shield, Full Command, Blessed Spawning of Chotec

3 Kroxigors 174 pts
Great Weapon

RARE

3 Salamander Hunting Packs 195 pts
3 handlers per salamander

TOTAL: 1999pts

FINAL THOUGHTS:
I changed stegadon to salamanders because many people say that they are more effective (althought I really love the stegadon models and would love to get one). Dropped the cavalry because almost everyone says that they cost too much. Basically now Im going to have two intimidating blocks (the blessed saurus led by scar vet and the improved unit of temple guard with 2nd gen. Slann) which are going to be the targets of alot of missle fire so a skink screen will probably be necessary, at least for the chotec unit since plaque of protection will help the temple guard. Im thinking of another screen for the krox and put them in a position near the temple guard for a flank opprotunity if any hard hitters try to charge my precious slann. In this way however I limit my mobility by alot more and am put on the defensive until my blocks can reach the front lines.

All help is really appreciated!

ardude
23-08-2006, 21:07
Alright, thank you very much for the ideas. I haven't replied yet because I have been working very hard on a new list combining some of those ideas you listed as well as other suggestions throughout the board. Here is what I came up with:

LORDS & HEROES:

Slann Mage Priest (2nd Gen.) 585 pts
BSB, Cupped Hands of the Old Ones(unit gets 5+ward, not CC), Plaque of Dominion(+1 power & dispell dice)

ur dead against anything with cannons, stone throwers or some bolt throwers without ur plaque of protection, and the extra power dice won't be needed anyway.

Saurus Scar Veteran (embedded in blessed saurus unit) 129 pts
HW+Shield, Light Armor, Burning Blade of Chotec (additional -2 armor save), Blessed Spawning of Chotec(roll an extra die when pursuing and choose the highest two)
get rid of the blade of chotec and give him a great weapon with mark of quetz or tepok

Skink Priest 125 pts
Lvl.2 wizard, Dispell Scroll (x1)

missing the dadium of power

CORE:

16 Temple Guard 323 pts
HW+Shield, Halberd, Full Command
( if it isn't 7th edition you don't ened 2 banners)

10 Skink Skirmishers 60 pts
HW+Shield, Javelin

10 Skink Skirmishers 70 pts
HW+Blowpipe, Scouts

SPECIAL:

24 Saurus Warriors 338 pts
HW+Shield, Full Command, Blessed Spawning of Chotec
(maby quetzl?)

3 Kroxigors 174 pts
Great Weapon

RARE

3 Salamander Hunting Packs 195 pts
3 handlers per salamander

TOTAL: 1999pts

FINAL THOUGHTS:
I changed stegadon to salamanders because many people say that they are more effective (althought I really love the stegadon models and would love to get one). Dropped the cavalry because almost everyone says that they cost too much. Basically now Im going to have two intimidating blocks (the blessed saurus led by scar vet and the improved unit of temple guard with 2nd gen. Slann) which are going to be the targets of alot of missle fire so a skink screen will probably be necessary, at least for the chotec unit since plaque of protection will help the temple guard. Im thinking of another screen for the krox and put them in a position near the temple guard for a flank opprotunity if any hard hitters try to charge my precious slann. In this way however I limit my mobility by alot more and am put on the defensive until my blocks can reach the front lines.

All help is really appreciated!

good army, don't got mutch comments

Dtrik
23-08-2006, 23:38
Alright Ill swap plaque of dominion for plaque of protection, Im trying to brace myself for 7th edition and give myself extra dispell dice, probably not necessary though. Also scar vet with a great weapon + quetzl in a quetzl unit will really be tough, I just love the extra pursuit with chotec, still unsure about the marks.

Thanks for the comments, I think I'll be able to do well with this list:D

Juhaaha
31-08-2006, 18:19
What if you drop Temple Guards? they are kinda expensive. take unit of 16 saurus warriors with b.s of tlazcotl (immune to psycology). that costs 242pts with full command group.put Slann here. and for 3th core take more skinks.

and you could change the mark of chotec of 24 saurus warriors to mark of quetzl.

Voltaire
31-08-2006, 20:03
Ardude, you don't need to quote him everytime you comment ya know.

I like your new army, but I am an advocate of the 2nd Generation Slann. It is going to be an expensive but worthwhile investment. Especially with the new rules and a Skink Priest will make it especially good with the telepathy rule.

Saurus Warriors are a worthwhile investment, it is an excellent anchor if you can use it properly.

Overall your army is similar to the one I would take!

Dtrik
31-08-2006, 23:49
Well I just have to finish my slann w/temple guard unit (gotta go buy them) but Im sure in a short while Ill be able to see if it'll hold up to the test. Thanks alot everyone for the comments that helped mold the new and improved list:D

^DrAgOn^
01-09-2006, 00:30
I'd give the other unit of skinks blowpipes too! (2x poison shot is really nasty)