PDA

View Full Version : Chaos cavalry force. Can it work?

Luke
17-08-2006, 20:33
Hey all, so this isn't an army list though I'm hoping some will crop up throughout. I've been toying for a few years now with the idea of an all/predominantly cavalry force. As far as miniature quality goes I'm not too fussed as I can convert any rubbish models or missing weapon options.

What it boils down to at the end of the day is Chaos. I love chaos. And they also have some terrific cavalry. But I was wondering obviously if a force made up of Marauder horsemen, Knights, chariots and some supporting beast units could be an effective force? As far as ranks go it would be a losing battle in cc but at least I have double unit strength per model over infantry. So hopefully I wont be too out numbered if I have at least one meaty cav unit.

The way I look at it is this:

I have the elite Knights to break the enemy units through sheer weight and quality of attacks and ws, whilst the lighter cav (centigors, warhounds and marauders) nip around denying those all important enemy ranks. If I have denied ranks, outnumbered through multiple charges and caused enough damage, Im hoping to break enemy regiments. The theory is, "in theory" sound. But do you agree?

So what would the ideal Chaos Cavalry force consist of? How should the regiments be structured? What should my character selection be? Sorcerors or champions?

Any feedback would be ace.

ardude
17-08-2006, 21:30
Latro alwais plays with a khorn raiding army its a very strong army.
he alwais ends high ( ofcourse he is a good player but it proves that it works:) )
but I think it's easyer for him to tell you:cool:

Latro
17-08-2006, 21:39
The Khornate Cavalry Army is one of my favourite lists! ... and a succesful one too. :evilgrin:

I use it in 1K and 2K tournaments, with a mix of:

- Knights of Khorne
- Minotaurs of Khorne, great weapons
- Marauder Horsemen, flails
- Warhounds (lots of them)
- Furies
- ... sometimes a Chariot

Example of a 2K list:

Daemon Prince of Khorne
2 Aspiring Champions of Khorne
2 units Knights of Khorne
1 unit Minotaurs of Khorne
1 Chariot of Khorne
2 units Marauders Horsemen
4 units Warhounds
1 unit Furies

It takes a bit of getting used too, but once you get the hang of using your support units in the correct way (mainly frenzy-control) it's a real killer. Rumours say that in 7th edition the Chaos Steeds of the frenzied Knights will also get an extra attack :evilgrin:

:cool:

theDarkGeneral
17-08-2006, 21:42
I've played with tons of different types of Chaos Armies over the years, and mostly Khorne! I have some thoughts for you...

Keep it to a single Character preferably, and just an Exalted Champion of Khorne is needed.

4 units of Chaos Knights, 1 unit upgraded to Chosen Status. No Standards in any of the units, just Champ and Musician

2 units of Centigors, 8 models each, w/FC, Shields and Throwing Axes

1 unit of 10 Chaos Furies

1 unit of 8 Flesh Hounds of Khorne

2 units of 3 Dragon Ogres w/Lt Armor, Grt Wpns

This will give you a 2,250pts(approx) force that is fast, hits hard and still manuverable.

Luke
17-08-2006, 21:43
Excellent. How are your knights ranked up?

Do the flails on the marauders justify the cost?

Are your minotaurs key?

Why the chaos chariot over the Beast chariot? Presumably the mark of khorne correct?

EDIT---

sorry thedarkgeneral you were too quick for me. Ah, I would like to field more marauder horses if possible.

ardude
17-08-2006, 21:43
an extra attack?!?!?!
like they ain't strong enough already:cries: :cries: :cries: :cries:

Luke
17-08-2006, 21:57
I have had quite bad luck when fielding cavalry as supporting units, I have been put off this idea for many reasons. I find they can rarely cause enough damage to be worth it, and as far as combat res goes forget it. I imagine it would take a lot of clever tactics to get a cav force to work.

Neknoh
17-08-2006, 22:07
Within the Lists of Voe at my site in my sig, you'll find the Dragonborn of Gulgh'Rackharr, and I think you'll appreciate it, it has done tremendously well for me.

. . . yes, I AM too tired to dig out the list myself at the moment :p

der_lex
17-08-2006, 22:12
I still have a Slaaneshi cavalry list written up that seems viable, but it's a low priority, since I'd have to buy a lot of extra models for that, and those Mounted Daemonettes ain't cheap. The combination of Slaaneshi speed and spells sounds like a dream come true for a cav army to me, though.

Latro
17-08-2006, 22:23
I have had quite bad luck when fielding cavalry as supporting units, I have been put off this idea for many reasons. I find they can rarely cause enough damage to be worth it, and as far as combat res goes forget it. I imagine it would take a lot of clever tactics to get a cav force to work.

Regular Cavalry will have a hard time winning combat against ranked-up infantry ... Knights of Khorne can pull it off though. In my 1K list I field a unit of 5 Knights of Khorne (full command, Warbanner). Against an infantry regiment it would start with +2CR against +5CR ... so that's 11 str5 attacks and 5 str4 attacks to score 3 ounds for a tie. Normally there's also a character with them for another 4 or 5 str7 attacks.

... they can and will crush any but the most tough and elite infantry on the charge (or being charged themselves, they don't care)

- Minotaurs of Khorne are a relatively cheap way to add massive killing-power. I just march them forward and dare the enemy to charge them ... it's a great way to force the enemy into action.

- Marauder Horsemen are most useful to me when not in action. I want them running around the enemy, making them nervous, threatening with rear-charges ... and then moving on. They do charge warmachines and small missile-units in the flank, but most of the time they distract, annoy, stay alive and claim quarters.

- Warhounds are there to die. They screen, they keep my frenzied units under control, they divert and if anything survives they claim quarters.

- Furies like warmachines ... a lot. In an emergency they are a great screen and held in reserve they can pop-up anywhere on the field in just seconds.

Together this gives me in 1K points:

1 character (frenzied)
2 heavy hitters (frenzied)
2 fast cavalry support
3 fodder support
1 flying support

... please note that I use twice as many support units as I have frenzied units. Also very handy when deploying, I start with support and the opponent is usually done when I still have to commit my main assault units.

:cool:

Chris_Tzeentch
19-08-2006, 14:17
My Tzeentch Cavalry list has done well for quite a while. It struggles against undead, but most armies it murders.

neXus6
19-08-2006, 23:41
I was thinking of making a small (1000pt) Khorne raiding force. I was going to put a chariot in it but maybe spending the 150pts on other stuff, more fodder and slightly bigger unit of knights and minotaurs, is a better idea. :p

DirtJumper
20-08-2006, 03:33
How I use my Khorne Cavalry is normally in the Archaon's Horde list. More then 1 unit of Chosen Knights? Yes please!

Chris_Tzeentch
24-08-2006, 16:34
Ok, I am currently wondering what to fill my two rare choices with in my new Tzeentch Cavalry list. I have the following options:

1 or 2 units of Dragon Ogres
1 Hellcannon
1 or 2 Giants (although they are a little slow compared to the rest of the army)
3 Rhinox Riders (smaller versions so they can be shielded by Chaos Hounds)

Opinions please!

Latro
24-08-2006, 16:52
Ok, I am currently wondering what to fill my two rare choices with in my new Tzeentch Cavalry list. I have the following options:

1 or 2 units of Dragon Ogres
1 Hellcannon
1 or 2 Giants (although they are a little slow compared to the rest of the army)
3 Rhinox Riders (smaller versions so they can be shielded by Chaos Hounds)

Opinions please!

Depends on how your list looks:

- Dragon Ogres are good to add reliable heavy hitters to your army

- If you already have enough heavy hitters, perhaps a Giant to hold the enemy in place for them would be very handy

- Perhaps a Hellcannon to make your ranged power even better, though it's shooting doesn't always combine well with a cavalry force trying to get into combat.

- Rhinox Riders ... mwah ... I see them as less-controlable Dragon Ogres.

doogz
25-08-2006, 05:38
I have a Slaanesh cav force that at the moment is quite successful, this is what i field in a 2250 pt force:
(this is for 7th ed mind you)

Exalted Sorc - Daemon sword, talisman, Slannesh, Mounted on chaos steed
Exated Champ - Bindings of Slann, flail, shield and steed of slannesh
Sorc - 2 x Scrolls Slaanesh

5 Chosen knights - Full cmd, slannesh
5 Knights - Full cmd, warbanner, slannesh
2 x Chariots - MoCU
5 x Hounds
15 Marauders- LA, Shield, muso
15 Marauders- Flails, muso
2 x 5 Marauder horsemen - Flails, muso

6 x Furies

2 x Slannesh spawn

Khorne is obviously very hard when it hits but the magic that this army can gather and the speed of the spawn generally makes me face my full force vs his half force... an all cav chaos army is devastating if used correctly, but it takes a while to learn how to use it. Remember you can cast frenzy on your own knights that are in combat (with slaanesh magic)... In 7th ed the horses will get the extra attack as well... with the chosen that is 16 St5 atks with 10 st4 steed attacks... Goodbye unit... My exalted champ is there so that i can kill wizards and get magic supremacy.

With cav you have to choose your battles. Both units of knights can generally take a charge, i have my general in with the normal knights so against a rull ranked unit that charges, i would generally win by about 2-3... With chosen you should win by about 2-3 also. Chariots twinlinked can pretty much autobreak most units (unless you roll double one for impact hits).

Chris_Tzeentch
26-08-2006, 17:33
Have I missed something? I hadn't realised that Frenzy also applied to steeds as well as riders in 7th Edition. Interesting...

TheWarSmith
26-08-2006, 18:58
if any part of a model is frenzy, it confers frenzy to the other part(rider makes mount frenzy, vice versa).

It's NASTY for khorne, and almost exclusively khorne i think.

And to clarify something, "NO, centigors don't get extra trample attacks from frenzy, as some idiot was trying to argue in a GW store"

Miffy
27-08-2006, 11:18
an extra attack?!?!?!
like they ain't strong enough already:cries: :cries: :cries: :cries:

indeed, that'll be jolly

Neknoh
27-08-2006, 13:13
. . .

A frenzied DRAGON!!!!!

The world was just thrown into even more hurt

Chris_Tzeentch
27-08-2006, 14:16
OMFG.

I think my 7th Edition army will be followers of Khorne.

So Khorne Cavalry here I come.

I am going with the Hellcannon as my two Rare choices. Less ranks for the chaos knights to smash up.