jigplums
17-08-2006, 21:26
What do u think of the new tyranid faq

jigplums
17-08-2006, 21:31
my nids may be going on ebay very soon, anyone interested? lol

BigJon
17-08-2006, 21:36
I own 22 Warriors and I'll be danged if I shelf them, I just will not spend the pts on upgrades since I know they will be laz bate. I will not field as many and will replace what I take away with a Fex or two.

I never use Zops since the target priority rule.

BigJon

jigplums
17-08-2006, 21:46
Zoan's have definately taken the biggest hit as they warrant that single shot to kill

Xander-K
17-08-2006, 22:02
hmm, I don't see why you guys are complaining, you are only vunerable to str 9+ which few weapons have anyway, any other army with 2 wound models has instant death rule so you should count yourself lucky you even have protection agains't str8 weapons. So they can kill your warriors with lascannons, wouldn't you rather them shoot the warriors than your heavier creatures?

cherubaul
17-08-2006, 22:19
Xander my problem is that due to the no instant death being an established rule now that people will now see certain units as being irredeemably weakened which they have been and now we'll just see 2 tyrant and 3 fex lists instead of warriors and thropes and ravenors. poor lictors got owned too.

azimaith
17-08-2006, 22:25
hmm, I don't see why you guys are complaining, you are only vunerable to str 9+ which few weapons have anyway, any other army with 2 wound models has instant death rule so you should count yourself lucky you even have protection agains't str8 weapons. So they can kill your warriors with lascannons, wouldn't you rather them shoot the warriors than your heavier creatures?

This is flawed logic. They shot our warriors with lascannons before as we are a horde army. (Wow those warriors are getting close, do I waste a lascannon shot to get the bolter and plasmagun shot in or do I shoot the MC and hope for the best?) We focus on making too many targets to shoot. They would shoot our warriors with lascannons to get the plasmagun and bolter shots in with them and the warriors would soak them up with less damage. Now the same is in effect but our warriors die twice as fast to lascannon fire.

Lascannons are amongst the most popular and common of all heavy weapons fielded by imperial armies, which if you didn't know, make up the majority of the 40k player base.

cherubaul
17-08-2006, 22:30
Lascannons are amongst the most popular and common of all heavy weapons fielded by imperial armies, which if you didn't know, make up the majority of the 40k player base.

Bloody well said add to that Taus only real heavy weapon is railgun and thats anawful lot for nids to contend with

Ravenous
17-08-2006, 22:31
unless you use subumition, hammer heads are gods against nids

Gen_eV
17-08-2006, 22:36
unless you use subumition, hammer heads are gods against nids

Unless you use a S7 ordnance blast? It's AP4, right? I'd rather have 3 or 4 2+ rolls to wound warriors with no save than one Instant-killing shot. PLus it's darned handy on genestealers - just ask my carnifexes with Barbed Stranglers. Killed 80% of the stealers in two rounds, then lost a previously-unhurt guy to a Rending charge from the others.

yeah, few weapons have S9. However, LOTS of armies have access to those weapons. I was gonna take three Zoeys alongside my TMCs for some low-AP fire. However, they're now one hit-dead from Lascannons. Three Lascannon shots can take out all of my Zoeys, but they wouldn't kill a single Carnifex. Therefore, all the S8 fire will be on the carnies, and the S9/10 will be on the three models most vulnerable. They're rather useful, but their survivability in the tournament environment has been reduced. Admittedly most Lascannons will be paired with Plasma guns, but that gave me a fighting chance of taking two units away from my 'fexes for a round of ashooting. Now, they're dead in turn one. (Especially with escalation.

And the main issue with warriors is really when people want to take 'middleweight' armies, something GW was keen to encourage upon the release of the Codex. Now, that force has been utterly nerfed. Lascannons are gonna run amok through this army now, seeing as they'll have nothing bigger to shoot at. Not to mention the fact the army was already pretty flimsy to begin with, it seems a shame to make it even worse. I'll be sticking with the first model I ever truly loved, and cram seven Carnifex kits into my next tournament army. I was gonna take more mid-sizers, but seeing as they're 1-model units vulnerable to instant death, They can go back off the drawing board. At least I don't have to figure out any warrior-to-Zoey conversions now.

azimaith
17-08-2006, 22:38
Strength 6 actually for the submunition.

Yet another reason why warriors, thropes, and raveners (ok well maybe not raveners) should be T5.

Stingray_tm
17-08-2006, 22:43
This FAQ is a disgrace. You still can have effective Tyranid lists, but they certainly won't include 2 army list choices... Since i own a lot of these modells, i cancelled my plans to start a IG-army in the future...

jigplums
17-08-2006, 23:31
many marine lists will field 4-12 str9+ at 1500 points, that makes the thropes and warriors a liability. The fact MC's need to take ld tests to move was forseen, but another nail in the coffin. MC lists aren't really very competative against any sort of prepared opponents and with there being even less option in affective nids lists it will become even more likely to face prepared opponents.

blitz589
17-08-2006, 23:36
hmm, I don't see why you guys are complaining, you are only vunerable to str 9+ which few weapons have anyway.

While you may have realised that a s8 missiel launcer is alot better pt for pt vs a lascannon, most people have not, and include 7-8 lascannons in 1500pts. Also a basilisk can now pick of 30pt warriors, instead of gaunts.

bringerofdecay
17-08-2006, 23:43
i voted good, after calming down and re reading the nid dex, it seems that it is just S8 or lower immunity to death, andalthough this may seem to be taking it as RAW i dont think it is (dont think im trying to dampen down the flames either, you should see some of my other posts on this...sore subject around here)
the insta death rule was always there and easy to see, i guess we just interpreted it incorrectly, and while it seems we were promised invincakillabilty, perhaps the rule was changed pretty last minute, due to issues in playtesting, and dont forget white dwarf works months in advance :eek: so it may have changed even after that.

what i am still very PISSED about is that even monsterous creatures now have to take IB tests, i think, to rectify this, a MC that fails an IB test shoud have to move directly towards the closest enemy unit, not allowed to shoot, and must charge the closest posible unit, this is because its primal ferocity means it will move at quickest speeds possible to crush any percievable enemy.

would that sound like a feasable and practical option? it just sounds more plausable than them standing there going...uhhh...whhaaa...where teh fook am i :wtf: wheres that steak i was chewin on...mommy *cowers*

marv335
17-08-2006, 23:50
my marine army has 5 missile launchers and 2 lascannons in it at 1500pts
and no assault cannons.
this ruling will not really effect my 'nid opponents.

azimaith
17-08-2006, 23:53
and no assault cannons.

If we should all be so lucky.

Sandals
17-08-2006, 23:59
and no assault cannons.

i must say that this is a minority. sorry if you consider this an insult.

i think that nids themselves aren't dead, as the horde of monsters can still be done, as can the all genestealers. however, i really wanted an all middleweight army, and bought a fair number of warriors, and more annoyingly 9 raveners, 2 lictors and 3 zoanthropes. with the total immunity these were a threat, but without they are just annoying to the opponant. 'oh look, i've got three turs til they get here, how many of those 40+point models can i take down before i mop up the survivors?'

jigplums
18-08-2006, 00:06
its mainly the fact i wanted to use nids at the gt this yeah thats buggered me

Gen_eV
18-08-2006, 00:26
That's the main issue with me too - I was thinking about it, now I think I'll take Marines to the First rounds and 'nids later on if I qualify for the final...

scarvet
18-08-2006, 00:34
Bloody well said add to that Taus only real heavy weapon is railgun and thats anawful lot for nids to contend with
That is the exact reason I go agaisnt it: why should human armys have a cutting edge on 'Nids that other race doesn't due to 'Nids special rule? Tau can only have limited rail gun, Orks need to roll 9+on zipp gun or looted basilik, Eldar need Fire Prism or D-cannon, and Dark Eldar have nothing.

Dready and Wraithlord is leftout because they just kill warriors like they did in 3rd Ed. 'Nid need their rending/MC to kill power armour effectively, the MCguns also need to use on other armoured target like tanks (wraith lord is left out because it is a pain anyway); before this FAQ, 'nid have an option to use MC or warrior/reavener/lictor(in synapse) or stealer to take care them. Now if enemy Dread come in and clear out litte critters, My unit of 120+pts warrior can go in can got themselves destroy, or I can risk my genestear/MC which can charge something else. This should be part of the game, however, the rules and codex itself makes 'nid really vunerable in shooting; this means if a charging chance is missed, they will get blow apart.

Other ppl have sum up the nerf on 'thropes, which is sad just because they have to sell more 'Fex

Occulto
18-08-2006, 02:38
While you may have realised that a s8 missiel launcer is alot better pt for pt vs a lascannon, most people have not, and include 7-8 lascannons in 1500pts. Also a basilisk can now pick of 30pt warriors, instead of gaunts.

See there must be something about the water down here in Australia - I rarely (if ever) see that many lascannons in a single army. Worst would probably be an IW list with a ridiculous number of obliterators - but comp seems to limit those.

Even if they are, unless those 7-8 lascannons are in a couple of dev squads or heavy weapon platoons (which if you're playing on a reasonable amount of terrain, you should be able to avoid), simply shooting at the opposing warriors ties up a lot of an army.

That means there's a lot of lasguns/bolters which aren't targetting your guants. I'd consider that a bonus.

You do take gaunts don't you? 70+ hormagaunts sprinting across the table makes lascannons nigh on useless.

Megalodon01
18-08-2006, 12:21

Warriors only have a 5+ save (4+ if they spend extra points) and the AP rules take care of that in many cases. This also makes them vulnerable to every other weapon in the game. The only games with enough cover on the table to get a cover save is usually a Cities of Death game.

Megalodon01
18-08-2006, 12:23
and no assault cannons.

If your opponents used Zoanthropes it will affect them greatly.

Scamshouse
18-08-2006, 12:35
"Totally nerfed Tyranids and made them unplayable"

LOL talk about toys chucked from pram.

Any fast Nid army with some gaunts can lock down a shooty army in CC from their 2nd turn. Once the fire lanes are gone then move your warriors, Zoes etc out of cover and from behind LOS blocking terrain.

FalcesImperatoris
18-08-2006, 12:35
You do take gaunts don't you? 70+ hormagaunts sprinting across the table makes lascannons nigh on useless.

Only if they have intact synapse. Those lascannons can quickly eliminate said synapse making those 70+ gaunts useless.

Gaunts are only dangerous when they have synapse to control them.
take out the synapse they ain't going to do much on Ld 5.

By shooting the right things you can quickly beat a tyranid army without having to kill a single gaunt - kill the synapse first and then they just run away.

Anything that makes the synapse easier to kill - is bad for the army as whole. Its not even like warriors/zoanthropes etc. were good. Most people considered them a marginal choice anyway - but at least they were a choice...

Stingray_tm
18-08-2006, 12:46
"Totally nerfed Tyranids and made them unplayable"

LOL talk about toys chucked from pram.

Any fast Nid army with some gaunts can lock down a shooty army in CC from their 2nd turn. Once the fire lanes are gone then move your warriors, Zoes etc out of cover and from behind LOS blocking terrain.

How exactly am i supposed to attack a static gunline with Gaunts, if the controlling Synapse Creatures have to stay behind, probably more than 12" away from the front?

Megad00mer
18-08-2006, 13:06
The nerf is bad, especially since most of us (who aren't rules lawyers) have been playing with the rule to totally negate ID for over a year now. GW is going to see Tyranid Warrior and Zoanthrope sales take a big nose dive. I guess they wanted to sell more Tyrants and Fexes.

I don't feel the nerf will completely take Warriors out of my army. I'll just take 2 broods of 3 cheap Warriors for synapse and try to use cover and MC's as much as possbile.

Zoanthropes can also still be viable if you use them as support and not offense. Imagine:

3 Zoanthropes hiding behind 3 Carnifexes. Gives the 'thropes Psychic Scream and Synapse. Now you've pretty much turned your fexes into synapse creatures that reduce the enemy's Ld by 1. Also keep in mind that Psychic Scream is cumulative. So those 3 'thropes in 18" of the enemy means that they have a -3. Give another Psychic Scream to a HT and that's a -4. This could reek utter, cackling inducing havoc amongst non fearless armies. Barbed Stranglers will pin alot more often too. :D

What do you guys think? Can the "Psychological Swarm" work?

Voodoo Boyz
18-08-2006, 13:18
The nerf is bad, especially since most of us (who aren't rules lawyers) have been playing with the rule to totally negate ID for over a year now. GW is going to see Tyranid Warrior and Zoanthrope sales take a big nose dive. I guess they wanted to sell more Tyrants and Fexes.

I don't feel the nerf will completely take Warriors out of my army. I'll just take 2 broods of 3 cheap Warriors for synapse and try to use cover and MC's as much as possbile.

Zoanthropes can also still be viable if you use them as support and not offense. Imagine:

3 Zoanthropes hiding behind 3 Carnifexes. Gives the 'thropes Psychic Scream and Synapse. Now you've pretty much turned your fexes into synapse creatures that reduce the enemy's Ld by 1. Also keep in mind that Psychic Scream is cumulative. So those 3 'thropes in 18" of the enemy means that they have a -3. Give another Psychic Scream to a HT and that's a -4. This could reek utter, cackling inducing havoc amongst non fearless armies. Barbed Stranglers will pin alot more often too. :D

What do you guys think? Can the "Psychological Swarm" work?

This is something that was done before the FAQ and it works. The problem is that with 3 Fex's + HT you're already looking at taking an Elite Fex and 2 Heavy ones to do this with, or just 3 Elite Fexes, as they want to be up close and your Heavy Support fexes (with VC and BS) want to be far away shooting stuff.

The problem of course is that you're probably well on your way to playing a Godzilla army, where if you wanted to do a real hoard list of Gaunts + Warriors, you're out of luck.

Megad00mer
18-08-2006, 13:26
Good point...

Yeah, that didn't dawn on me. I don't wanna play a Godzilla army because I feel it's a) not fluffy, b) kinda cheesy and c) not nearly as much fun as sending huge waves of gaunts across the table.

Though against Laz heavy Imperial Armies, what choice do we have?

*sulk* :(

marv335
18-08-2006, 13:30
If your opponents used Zoanthropes it will affect them greatly.

if i'm facing a 'nid army i usually have other targetting priorities for those two lascannons.
i do not want the 'fex in combat. T4 models can be taken out with bolter fire. roll enough dice and he'll fail a couple of saves. the big tough models are the priority for the heavy hitters.
swarms are a job for bolters/heavy bolters.
it's just a matter of target priority.

Scamshouse
18-08-2006, 13:37
How exactly am i supposed to attack a static gunline with Gaunts, if the controlling Synapse Creatures have to stay behind, probably more than 12" away from the front?

If you start the turn in synapse and move your gaunts. Leaving some trailing behind, you can normally keep 1 in the unit within synapse of something in your army.

People managed in 3rd edition.

My point is, if you can lock enough of the army in HTH on turn 2 you can move up your other creatures with impunity cause the melee in front is blocking LOS.

zealousheretic
18-08-2006, 14:32
the insta death rule was always there and easy to see, i guess we just interpreted it incorrectly, and while it seems we were promised invincakillabilty, perhaps the rule was changed pretty last minute, due to issues in playtesting, and dont forget white dwarf works months in advance :eek: so it may have changed even after that.

No, we had a reason for reading it the way we did. I cite the Necron codex as precedent.

The Necron 'dex has almost precisely the same wording about which weapons deny WBB; it says double strength. Nearly every rational 40k player read that and just assumed that greater than double strength still denies WBB rolls; it seemed obvious what the designer's intentions were. The same applied to Tyranids; I know I ran Warriors as immune to instant death from double or greater, and nobody I played with complained.

Locke
18-08-2006, 14:34
This is something that was done before the FAQ and it works. The problem is that with 3 Fex's + HT you're already looking at taking an Elite Fex and 2 Heavy ones to do this with, or just 3 Elite Fexes, as they want to be up close and your Heavy Support fexes (with VC and BS) want to be far away shooting stuff.

The problem of course is that you're probably well on your way to playing a Godzilla army, where if you wanted to do a real hoard list of Gaunts + Warriors, you're out of luck.

The real problem is that a carnifex is shorter than a thrope, therefore your opponent can just shoot over the fex and hit anything taller. Only area terrain stops height at its level absolutely. MC's, tanks, and buildings block based on their actual size...

William McCoy
18-08-2006, 14:44
Well...I was planing on a All Warrior (And Maxed Rippers and Gaunts) army. And...well...I'm a masocist, so I think I'm still planning on an all Warrior. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, indeed...but I don't think that this kills the models. Just think of them as down to their last wound. It will scare a good deal of new players away, and it will make a some old ones shelve their force for a while...but I'm willing to bet gaunts-to-russes that the silent majorty will just keep trudging along.

I think Target Priority will be the one saving grace in the situation, though. Screen to prevent a few units, charge to tie up a few more...and at least some of my proposed 30-some Warriors will make it to the line.

Then again, I also feild 19 Repenta...so I guess you can figure out how sane I am on the best of days. :wtf:

---Slim

Megad00mer
18-08-2006, 15:18
The real problem is that a carnifex is shorter than a thrope, therefore your opponent can just shoot over the fex and hit anything taller. Only area terrain stops height at its level absolutely. MC's, tanks, and buildings block based on their actual size...

With 4th edition the actual size of the model (height, width etc) doesn't matter anymore. What does matter is the "Size Category" of the model.

A Carnifex is a Monstrous Creature, (Large Target, size 3) and so would block line of sight to anything behind it as long as the LoS can be drawn through it's base and what's behind it is smaller. (size 1 or 2).

azimaith
18-08-2006, 17:55
If you start the turn in synapse and move your gaunts. Leaving some trailing behind, you can normally keep 1 in the unit within synapse of something in your army.

People managed in 3rd edition.

My point is, if you can lock enough of the army in HTH on turn 2 you can move up your other creatures with impunity cause the melee in front is blocking LOS.

In third edition we had hive nodes so it wasn't a problem with LD10 gaunts, and we also had the chance to have our gaunts charge regardless with a good IB roll.

If you do that now the charge+pile in will leave your gaunts out of Synapse range at the opponents round of combat. Gaunts bite in close combat more than almost any other race and will generally lose combat and get run down without synapse support.

If you want to lock in turn 2 you need to use pricey hormagaunts who outrun synapse like the wind and witha 12" charge will outrun it on the charge rather than waiting for the pile in. A horde of 16 basic hormagaunts weighin in at 160 points is not exactly cannon fodder.

Xander-K
18-08-2006, 18:41
Now the same is in effect but our warriors die twice as fast to lascannon fire.

yeah, but in a single army there aren't too many lascannons unless you are facing a 6 man las/plas army. Even then they are having to choose between warriors or heavier 'Nid units such as Tyrants or Fexs.

Warriors are less effective but they are still v.good for close combat, and even help buff up the 'nids ranged capabilities with their higher str. weapons.

I used to field 'Nid army with mostly warriors back in 3rd edition, and insta-kills never phased me because when the units got to combat they did a damn good job.

azimaith
18-08-2006, 18:49
Good point...

Yeah, that didn't dawn on me. I don't wanna play a Godzilla army because I feel it's a) not fluffy, b) kinda cheesy and c) not nearly as much fun as sending huge waves of gaunts across the table.

Though against Laz heavy Imperial Armies, what choice do we have?

*sulk* :(

You can use non-combat warriors.
Equip warriors with 2x spine fists and thats it. 18 points for warrior who does nothing but provide synapse.

Zzarchov
18-08-2006, 18:52
This poll is biased, it doesn't have an option to point out the benefits nids get.

Take the min-costed warrior: he now gets to fire twice as many twin linked S4 reroll to wound shots, turning him into better than a walking heavy stubber for good points, the downside? While he shrugs off battlecannon wounds he now dies to lascannons..

ie.) the 18pt version above, 4 st 4 reroll to wound assault shots? and it shrugs off a krak missile/battlecannon? what more do you want for that many points?

Now units which still aren't affected by lascannons such as hive-tyrants and carnifexes become ALOT more powerful as shooting units, especially hive tyrants.

If your gonna call it a "poll" make it have options you don't want, when colbert says "George W. Bush: Great President or Greatest President?" its a joke, don't make an actual poll like that.

azimaith
18-08-2006, 18:54
yeah, but in a single army there aren't too many lascannons unless you are facing a 6 man las/plas army. Even then they are having to choose between warriors or heavier 'Nid units such as Tyrants or Fexs.

Yeah, and the difference is that now if they choose warriors so our fex's are protected they kill them twice as fast. The point is it makes the previous "Do I waste alascannon to shoot warriors with bolters?" a no brainer because your not wasting any shots anymore.

Warriors are less effective but they are still v.good for close combat, and even help buff up the 'nids ranged capabilities with their higher str. weapons.

Close combat warriors are hideously expensive. Your looking at 24 points for moving 6" across the board, upwards of 35 to get them with extended carapaces, improved init, or to move faster than a 6" move and a 6" charge.

I used to field 'Nid army with mostly warriors back in 3rd edition, and insta-kills never phased me because when the units got to combat they did a damn good job.
Yes, but they're more expensive now in most of their biomorphs. For 40 points nid players expect something more.

This poll is biased, it doesn't have an option to point out the benefits nids get.

Take the min-costed warrior: he now gets to fire twice as many twin linked S4 reroll to wound shots, turning him into better than a walking heavy stubber for good points, the downside? While he shrugs off battlecannon wounds he now dies to lascannons..

He gets to fire them zero times. A min costed warrior has spine fists and fires twice at 12". If your talking about TL devourer warriors with upgrades so he's not BS2 and so his shots aren't strength 3 AND so he gets saves vs bolters. 4 shots. All for a nice 38 points with no AP value and an 18" max range.

ie.) the 18pt version above, 4 st 4 reroll to wound assault shots? and it shrugs off a krak missile/battlecannon? what more do you want for that many points?

Lol you need to know what tyranids can do. It fires 2 shots at str 4 with twin-linked max range 12" with no rerolls to wound. Its second gun it totally useless as it can only fire one gun per shooting phase. And its got a 5+ save and its BS2. (I know, enough to make a space marine or Necron Warrior jealous!)

Now units which still aren't affected by lascannons such as hive-tyrants and carnifexes become ALOT more powerful as shooting units, especially hive tyrants.

If your gonna call it a "poll" make it have options you don't want, when colbert says "George W. Bush: Great President or Greatest President?" its a joke, don't make an actual poll like that.
Theres an option for "Good, it fixes alot of problems." But I advise you actually learn what warriors can do rather than making wild assumptions.

jigplums
18-08-2006, 20:14
the poll is about the faq not the 4th edition tyranid book, the faq did not introduce twin-linked options for warriors

cookiescrumble
18-08-2006, 20:24
I voted don't care, well.....because i don't care,

So what S9 weapons can instant kill warriors. If you're gonna stop playing nids because of the new FAQ the you are just pathetic.

f2k
18-08-2006, 20:41
I think all of the FAQs could have been far more expensive. But I have no problem with any of the rulings…

UnRiggable
18-08-2006, 20:49
"I think its good and helped resolved some issues that were obviously being misinterpreted"

Yep, some issues like the deep striking spore mines have been resolved

Ravenous
18-08-2006, 21:57
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46042

GT UK FAQs and Tourny rules are up.

Nids are not on the list of armies that may be played, in fact there is no mention of them anywhere.

Someone mentioned on another thread that FAQ 2 days ago was like being kicked when you down, what would this classify as? Prison rape?

Dais
18-08-2006, 22:07
i wish there was an option between the first two. it obviously hasnt shut the whole codex down but it makes swarm armies in larger games frightfully fragile.you can only get so much synapse from two tyrants.
so yea i guess it did shut down one form of tyranids outside lower point ranges.
its not even that you cant compensate its just that some people like that style.

adreal
18-08-2006, 23:48
hmm....well i have over 3000pts of nids, alot of warriors there, I loved the little guys, I'm choosing to ignore that aspect of it, as warriors are esay enough to kill, I mean honestly for thier points they are piddly easy to kill, now if they can be insta killed (on a note the only reason why I bought warrioras was the fact they could take whatever was shot at them) well screw it, I'll do a cookie cutter list if I'm not allowed to ignore the insta kill rule

Malphax
19-08-2006, 05:50
Nids are not on the list of armies that may be played, in fact there is no mention of them anywhere.

Well, if we take this as RAW then Tyranid players are not eligible for the GT. Congrats guys, you just got Squatted.

Seriously, I've never enjoyed a personal bubble of willful ignorance as much as I have about the recent rulings in this game.

jigplums
19-08-2006, 10:42
they've already stated that that was a mistake on the gw forums, who knows how long till that gets sorted though

Sandals
19-08-2006, 11:21
they'll say everywhere that they can be used, then they'll publish a FAQ saying they cant just when you've prepared a nid army for the gt...

Ravenous
19-08-2006, 21:45
they've already stated that that was a mistake on the gw forums, who knows how long till that gets sorted though

So they can admit they are wrong and change the online garbage.

wonder if they will get around to the FAQs and drop the rules lawyering RAW attitude they got going

Sandals
20-08-2006, 00:28
yeah, surely they cdan't ahve it both ways? either we take all rules as written, icluding the no nids at gts, or we get the sensible rulings and warriors are just immune to ID.

Situational RAW is possibly the worst case scenario i can think of.

"oh yeah, this you have to take exactly as written, but this follows what we meant to say."

give me a break! :D

Ravenous
20-08-2006, 00:38
You would think that if they just said hey lets use common sense, the spirit of the game and apply that to the rules.

Instead they went the other direction, anal rules lawyering RAW and claim all rules are as written until the replacement comes out.

Sandals
20-08-2006, 00:48
in that case i can drop the heavy bolters in my marine gt army, as there will be no nids. i think i may replace them with lascannons...

Ill Eagle
20-08-2006, 00:53
Where's the poll option for "Made the Tyranids too powerful"? Not a very scientific poll.

spikedog
20-08-2006, 03:31
As a Tyranid player you know what I thought when I saw this FAQ...

"Sod that for a laugh, I think I will be ignoring this one."

If you only play friendlies then this shouldn't make any difference as if any of my opponents forced me to play by rules that I didn't like or didn't find fun then that would be the last time I played that person. Of course I would say the same to them, this is a game that is supposed to be fun, if you don't like a rule then make a house rule to over-ride it. GW can't force you to play crap rules, as much as they would love to be able to.

Sure it sucks for people who play in tourneys etc though.

jigplums
21-08-2006, 02:18
but there are alot of people who want to play by the official rules

cailus
21-08-2006, 02:59
but there are alot of people who want to play by the official rules

IMO you can get out of this by simply pretending not to know about the FAQ's. They have been released online and not everyone has access to them.

And if they come out on White Dwarf, then say you haven't seen them either cause you aren't stupid enough to spend money to read advertising. :p

synapse
21-08-2006, 06:56
As much as a hate to say it: if you dont like the rules for a certain unit-type, then dont use it. having said that warriors were always my favourate tyranid troop tye and i had just bought a bunch of boxes a few days before the fAQ came out with the idea of a warrior-heavy army... suffice to say most are still on the sprues.

Sandals
21-08-2006, 12:25
IMO you can get out of this by simply pretending not to know about the FAQ's. They have been released online and not everyone has access to them.

And if they come out on White Dwarf, then say you haven't seen them either cause you aren't stupid enough to spend money to read advertising. :p

exactly my plan! as they seem to have done away with both chapter approved in WD and the annuals,there seems to be no way for them to actually 'publlish' these faqs. whilst that is the case i shall play on in ignorance!
even at the GT i shall attempt this, but i don't know what sort of success i'll get. last years warhammer final introduced missions on the day, but we were told they had been up on the net so we couldn't complain. i assume they'll do something similar:
"even if you haven't seen them before right now, these are the new rules you will be playing by this weekend"
sounds like something gw would do...

sliganian
21-08-2006, 13:16
Of course, if the Tournament Organizers make a point of saying 'FAQ's are in effect' then you are screwed.

Sandals
21-08-2006, 15:30
not really, i'm playing Dark Eldar :p

Shadowfax
21-08-2006, 15:44
Tyranid ID ruling has apparently been retracted:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=887144&posted=1#post887144

http://uk.games-workshop.com/forums/warhammer40000/

jirgaS
21-08-2006, 18:35
New nid players doesn't seem to be aware of the fact that in the previous dex synapse didn't give any sort of protection against instakill.
Those s9 shots are most likely going to target MCs anyways.
Tyranids have always struggled against enemy firepower and as they are quite monsters when it comes to hth, I think it's only fair.

Eldanar
21-08-2006, 19:30
I do not think GW retracted the FAQ. Read it carefully, and read my comments in the link to the thread Shadowfax posted above.

What GW's statement says in essence is that they have adopted the RAW from the "most common reading" of the rules for the Tyranids.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
21-08-2006, 21:39
As a Guard player I chose option 1, and as I said elsewhere we have already decieded not to use the FAQ in my gaming group.

:p *to the GW roolz boy that thought this cr@p up*

edit - Oh just seen what Hivemind Tim has put on the official 40K Forum header.. no matter.. LOL what an embarresment.