PDA

View Full Version : Rough Rider Regiments and Company Organization

Easy E
17-08-2006, 21:59
I am curious as to the organizations of Companies in a Rough Rider Regiment.

Let's use the following assumptions:
1. The Rough Rider Company is being fielded as one unit, and not split up amongst other assets.
2. Rough Riders are not stupid in the 40K world. I don't want a discussion about whether Horse riding troops fit into warfare in 40K.

So, would a Rough Rider Company still have Platoons broken down as 1 JO Command Squad for 2-5 Rough Rider Squads, or would they have a less formalized structure such as Armored Companies? Or do you think they would have a different structure?

Minister
17-08-2006, 23:12
If I do recall, the traditional was to use the standard infantry company, but with five-man mounted units replacing standard squads.

I see no particular reason to change this.

Warden
18-08-2006, 11:48
Minister is correct, in the British army Cavalry Batalion had 10 troops of 90 menwhich operated in 5 man Squadrons.

Minister
18-08-2006, 12:11
However, all evidence to date supports the concept that, organisationaly at least, Rough Riders are formed as dragoons, who are not cavalry (oficially)

Warden
18-08-2006, 12:14
Dragoons where classed as Light Cavalry

The Light Cavalry had a slightly different role to the heavy regiments. Much of what they did was in the role skirmishing, communications between army encampments. They provided a vital communication, listening and watching role. They proved pivotal in roles such as retreats where they could hold off the enemy giving their army valuable time to regroup or cover distance before galloping back. The light regiments of the British Army were Dragoon Regiments numbered from 7 to 25. In 1806 4 of these Dragoon regiments were changed to 'Hussar' regiments - the 7th, 11th, 15th and 18th. This was really only a change in uniform.

Minister
18-08-2006, 12:45
If I may:
Dragoons were organized not in squadrons or troops like the cavalry, but in companies like the foot soldier, and their officers and non-commissioned officers bore infantry ranks. The flexibility of mounted infantry made dragoons a useful arm, especially when employed for what would now be termed "internal security work" against smugglers or civil unrest. The dragoon regiments were also cheaper to recruit and maintain than the notoriously expensive regiments of cavalry. However, dragoons were at a disadvantage when engaged against true cavalry, and constantly sought to raise their horsemanship, armament and social status to the levels of the cavalry regiments. Thus, "dragoon" had come to mean medium cavalry by the time of the early wars of Frederick the Great, in the 1740s.

From the late 18th century, some regiments started to be designated as Light Dragoons, who rode faster and lighter horses and carried lighter sabres. They were trained in reconnaissance, skirmishing and other work requiring speed. In the early 19th century, the British Light Dragoon regiments converted to Lancers and Hussars. Between 1881 and 1910 all Russian cavalry other than Cossacks and Imperial Guard units were designated as dragoons, reflecting an emphasis on dismounted action in their training.
In 1914 there were still dragoon regiments in the British, French, German, Russian, Austro-Hungarian, Swedish, Danish and Spanish armies. Their uniforms varied greatly, lacking the characteristic features of hussar or lancer regiments. There were occasional reminders of the mounted infantry origins of this class of soldier. Thus the dragoon regiments of the Imperial German Army wore spiked helmets of the same design as those of the infantry and the British dragoons wore scarlet tunics (hussars and all but one of the lancer regiments wore dark blue). In other respects however dragoons had adopted the same tactics, roles and equipment as other branches of the cavalry and the distinction had become simply one of traditional titles.
Dragoons are mounted infantry, not cavalry (though the lines blur rather profoundly, particularly now that most cavalry are now armoured).

Warden
18-08-2006, 12:49
Points taken. :o

Gen.Steiner
18-08-2006, 15:51
Rough Rider Companies, according to the 2nd Edition Imperial Guard Codex, consist of:

Cpy HQ - Officer, standard, vox/musician, two RR.
3x Platoon - Officer, 4 RR; 10 RR; 10 RR; 10 RR.

Basically the same organisation as the Infantry. Possibly the names were changed to Squadron (cpy) and Troop (platoon), which is what I tend to use.

EDIT:

Note that the historical precedent depends on how you've armed your RRs - if they've got lasrifles then they're Dragoons. If they've got laspistols and close combat weapons then they're heavy/medium cavalry, and if they're armed with lances then they're (shockingly) Lancers.

Minister
18-08-2006, 16:09
Teue, but all precident points to an infantry-based organisation for the Rough Riders, not a cavalry/armoured-based one.

I will also point out that GW has used squadron insteat of troop/platoon and company instead of squadron for armoured units since at least 2nd edition ( a relic of the original rules on units of vehicles).

Gen.Steiner
18-08-2006, 16:15
I will also point out that GW has used squadron insteat of troop/platoon and company instead of squadron for armoured units since at least 2nd edition ( a relic of the original rules on units of vehicles).

Yesh, but that doesn't mean I have to.

Inq. Veltane
18-08-2006, 16:34
Well, my Rough Rider units would be organised along standard Infantry lines I think. No particular reason, it just feels right.

Minister
18-08-2006, 18:43
Yesh, but that doesn't mean I have to.You can paint your Ultramarines pink and convert a Slaneshi Dark Eldar Archon if you want. It's your army.

Admitedly, other people would laugh at you, but that's not the point.

And that sounds acusing, yet it is not meant to be...

:eyebrows: