PDA

View Full Version : UK WD 321 Feedback thread

Tooooon
18-08-2006, 08:51
Here is the information yet again, for the latest white dwarf! This time issue 321.... Enjoy! ^^

------General Mag info------
Freebies
A plastic Night Goblin, and a Plastic Dwarf

Editorial
And guess what, the White Dwarf is still here! Telling us once again how he recommends buying the latest products from gw ^^

Store List
Yup, its still here. So they removed it from issue 319, then put it back for 320 and 321 for some reason....

Letters Page
Still none existant

Page Count
127 (not including front page)

Pages of Adverts

Standard Bearer
2 pages talking about the rules published for games, how they sometimes get it wrong, and a few lines saying about how great everything about gw products are. But its getting better...

Convershun Klinic
Also none existant, so they have removed it yet again for some reason (after putting it back last issue)

Games Day
We have a survival guide this issue for Games Day (even though you can simply get one from the free booklet at GD, but still...)

------Main Gaming Systems------
Warhammer Fantasy Content
1) 4 Pages of the designer for the new rulebook talking through changes

2) An Interview with Rick Priestley (man who created first FB rulebook)

3) 14 Page Battle Report for Battle of Skull Pass (2.5k points NG vs Dwarfs)

4) 2 Pages of Jervis Johnson liturally telling you that everything about Warhammer is great. His subtitles are even:

"Great Miniatures, Great Stories and art, Great rules, Great game!" indivudually with some text underneath each one telling you why.

5) 2 Pages of mini summaries with little text for Dwarfs and Night Goblins, with 2 pages of Paint guides for both as well.

6) 2 Page Scenario - Battle for the Mines (Skull Pass)

7) 4 Page invite for people to go and play Warhammer at their local gw stores (with little text)

8) 6 Page Grand Tournament Army Showcase - Wood Elves

Warhammer 40k Content
1) Preview of new Eldar, with some shots of some of them together in an army pose

2) 6 Pages on the "Kappa Mortis Incident" (Cities of death scenario for Ultramarines vs Tau) basically advertising the new SM and Tau Megaforces released

3) 4 Pages of Ork terrain in Cities of Death (quite a few pics, little text)

4) A 2 page Advert for Dawn of War - Dark Crusade with some nice pics

5) Eavy Metal team - 6 Pages on painting Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters

Lord of the Rings Content
1) 13 Page Battle Report for Siege of Helms Deep

2) 3 Pages of picture's of the Balrog, with its stats, a small "How to Construct, and a extremly small paint guide (plus a "Buy Green Stuff!" mini shout)

Summary
Yet another bad issue sadly. It seems that all the postivives (however minor they were) from last issue have mostly been taken away, or changed yet again (even though the battle report maps are still here, whoo).

There is quite a bit of content for Fantasy this issue which is understandable because of the rulebook release and Battle of Skull pass, but there are still even some articles which have hardly any text in this for this (even though the font seems to have been made smaller for some of the bigger pictures), and with the lack of 40k and LOTR it doesnt make for a very good issue whatsoever. The only people who should buy it is Fantasy players really this time round.

Overall Rating: 3

~Dave

Yarick Zan
18-08-2006, 08:53
HORAY! another dwarf to miss buying. none of that at all sounds interisting.

Kodamas
18-08-2006, 09:27
I am going to shout up in the WD defense this month. There are a number of improvements that I noted:

1. Text is now smaller (although this seems to be done for bigger pictures)
2. Freebies without any real page loss.

I quite liked this issue compared to previous ones however the content was lacking as seems to be a theme with the recent WDs.

I am going to say a mediocre 4 for this issue.

Keravin
18-08-2006, 10:01
I'll see it next month, but at least due to BGIME I'll be getting this for free.

Storm_Hawk
18-08-2006, 10:20
I preffered this one over last months, mainly because of the Warhammer Content (i dont collect LotR so I hated last months). Also the battle report (WHFB) has improved slightly, theyve placed movement arrows on the maps, and the turns were although grouped, were layed out so that you could see whose turn it was (however after already laying it out like they did, it wouldnt have been a lot of effort to put a couple of headings to make the whole thing turn by turn).

I gave this weeks a 4/10 (the last ones all had 1s)

god octo
18-08-2006, 15:58
i havent got this one and proabably wont, but im glad to see some "articles" for Witchhunters and deamonhunters, as i cant actually remember the last time either army appeared in WD.

strv
18-08-2006, 22:17
Great issue. It took long time to read(2h +,and I'm not finnished) and I liked the form of the battle reports.

The thing on the wood elf players matches was good.
The ork city was nice, but it needed text.

Those free mini's pushed it up another rating point, even though my goblins nose was broken.

To little modeling in this wd though.

My english is pure crap today, I don't know why, Sorry!

thommo
18-08-2006, 22:21
pants - read a mates at club tonight...won't be buying it. Going to spend the £4 on sweet and sour king prawn at the chinese tomorrow :)

Estragor
18-08-2006, 22:56
I havn't bought WD 321 yet as WD 320 destroyed my hopes of improvement when compared to some of the isues from only 8 months back!

Will flick through the store copy on Thursday. If it looks any good I might buy it- but most likey will not.

Jim
19-08-2006, 10:00
I'm also going to stick up for WD this issue...it still has a lot of improvements to make...BUT...it was a vast improvement from the last few issues..the battle report was good fun, the feature on the GT Wood Elf army was interesting, the ork town needed text but was cool and overall I didn't feel 'cheated' compared to the last few issues.

So in summary, still some way to go but moving in the right direction...

Jim signing out...

Chuffy
19-08-2006, 10:45
1) 4 Pages of the designer for the new rulebook talking through changes

...only four pages?

:eyebrows:

plantagenet
19-08-2006, 14:30
I thought this issue was a definite improvement over the four that had come before it. There was a decent amount of text to read.

There were a few interviews sadly however they dont reveal much and are very short. The Rick Priestly one for example was about half a page of real text only. However was nice to have some real text substance to this issue. The warhammer coverage however was not as good as the 40k one under fat bloke.

The Warhammer Tournament article was very good and enjoyed reading it. Not sure why they needed to stuff it the back of the issue. More stuff like this article for all game systems would be much appreciated.

I would also like to say that the painting articles are failry useless. The Balrog one which showed how the flames were painted was good. So we had 4 steps of painting showing how they achieved flame effect. This is useful. The later ones for inquistor models are pretty much useless. Stay with the step through guides, please.

The top 3 articles in this issue for me were

1. Wrath of the Asrai (Wood Elf Players grand tournament experience)
2. Endless War (Alessio Designer notes for new Warhammer)
3. The Skull pass Fantasy battle report. (Almost possible in this battle report to follow through what happens in each individual turn. (One of the better battle reports I have read recently as I could tell what was going on.)

Shadow Marine
19-08-2006, 17:30
This was a good WD, but I did feel cheated, can't quite place my finger on it.
The Inquistor 'paint guides' seemed a little pointless.
I am a 40k player but enjoyed the WHFB battle report. It seems the new edition is getting a much BIGGER launch than the last edition of 40k did. Us 40k players want cake and lots of it!

After reading what's going on at some stores I might go along, 26ft game tables, all night painting!!!

This issue was going in the right direction but we do need more modeling guides.

Shadow Marine

Cherrystone
19-08-2006, 19:05
Very dissapointed in the lack of depth and detail into the thinking behind the new warhammer, 4 short pages didnt do it justice.

cybertron2000uk
19-08-2006, 20:48
loved the gobbo...Im soo tempted....there soo cute...

Tymell
20-08-2006, 02:45
Very dissapointed in the lack of depth and detail into the thinking behind the new warhammer, 4 short pages didnt do it justice.

Well, I think part of that might be just because there isn't quite so much behind this edition. I do agree though, not as much too it. Seems to be more concerned with the Skull Pass stuff really. Mind you, given that 320 had about 10 pages of adverts all for 7th edition, I've frankly had quite enough already :p

Personally, I think this one is an improvement, I give it a 6, but that still leaves plenty to be desired. For me, a 7 is a reasonable issue, with problems, but some interest. A 6 is distinctly lacking, but I wouldn't slate it. Like Shadow Marine I have trouble putting my finger on what precisely it is, though there are some nice articles (loved the one about the Ork city).

The thing that riled me more than anything though, possibly more than anything has in the past 5 issues or so, was that damn "article" *coughADVERTcough* on the Tau, Space Marine engagement. The way they just used the exact forces from the new mega forces, and even had the gall to put a little message at the bottom saying "These are available in the mega forces". It was just plain sickening. Having an issue vaguely geared towards your latest releases, fine. Having pages of adverts plain and simple, fine. But taking what could have been a nice article and just using it as a blatant and unashamed ad is just wrong to me, it's twisted what White Dwarf is supposed to be. :(

Shadow Marine
20-08-2006, 13:26
I wouldn't have minded the Tau V Space Marine article if there was a battle report. It was like they just forgot to put it in.
I was really exicted when I started reading it. A good plot line, good layout, good atomsphere created. I turned the page and no battle report. I know it was an advert for the mega force sets but I wouldn't have minded if there was an actual battle report.

What they should do is each month (or when they are relased) base a battle report around each of the mega forces.
It would be interesting to see what the writers do with a force they have no selection over.

t-tauri
20-08-2006, 13:36
Very poor. The sense of deja vu in the LotR-it was like I'd seen the same battle report published five or six times before. Oh. Wait. I have seen the same report over and over again. The 40k "battle report" was just a bad joke. The new Orcs look very poor.

Tymell
20-08-2006, 14:58
Very poor. The sense of deja vu in the LotR-it was like I'd seen the same battle report published five or six times before. Oh. Wait. I have seen the same report over and over again. The 40k "battle report" was just a bad joke. The new Orcs look very poor.

40K battle report? :confused:

Some guy (UK)
20-08-2006, 15:04
Sounds like another poor issue. Hmmm, what to spend my 4 pounds on?

Later, Some Guy

crashbang
20-08-2006, 20:04
compared to the others, it was a leap forward. i liked the helms deep battle (which is becoming one of my fav bits) and the wood elf gt report was also cool, although i wouldve liked to see more of the army as the bits you did see looked cool. im getting so ****** off with the stupid dwarf at the front, nothing compared to paul sawyer (fat bloke) and his random and entertaining ramblings.

the battle report was nice, tho that was partly on my part due to the massed squigs (go squiggies, go!!!). overall i actually liked the issue, ive never minded the adverts, and so the bits i tend to focus on.anything that happens to catch my eye, was generally good.

HOWEVER (big however) Firebase is a matter of weeks away. if the net mag is all it claims to be, then i know what will happen to my subscription...

Spaceraider
20-08-2006, 21:11
Not got this issue yet, but no doubt when it turns up in WHS I'll buy it as usual.

A few weeks ago i spotted Owen and Rik leaving my local store (Reading, UK). I checked with the red shirts in store and was informed they had only just turned up and immediately left with the manager for lunch (no doubt they feel they don't need to mix with the till monkeys being important "Journalists" and all), before heading back to work I thought I'd subtley pop into the same place for lunch and have a word. They were polite but a bit stand-offish.

I asked if chapter approved could come back, they said basically no.

Suxs to collect WD (for 40k) at the moment, the medusa campaign isn't a big deal to me as i have never (and will never) play in store, and despite having three armies I have less worthwhile content for them in 2 years worth of WD's than the LotR got in just one edition.

Of course i will need to buy the next three months to see if any of the local store monkeys are featured.

UltimateNagash
20-08-2006, 21:24
When is it coming out? I mean in shops...

Spaceraider
20-08-2006, 21:34
Well 320 doesn't state a date but it tends to be end of the month, i'm guessing it will be released slightly earlier than normal so that those free minis get as much shelf time as possible and we can look forward to a late release for "Ork-tobers" magazine.

Black-Tooth
20-08-2006, 21:53
Does anyone know why the bits page isn't in there? There's no component codes at all this month. :wtf: That was my faveroute part of White Dwarfs of late, and now they've taken it away from me. :cries:

Some guy (UK)
20-08-2006, 22:36
Does anyone know why the bits page isn't in there? There's no component codes at all this month. :wtf: That was my faveroute part of White Dwarfs of late, and now they've taken it away from me. :cries:

Its funny, that was my some of my worst- oversized pics of bits of models? Lots of content there ;)

Later, Some Guy

redeye
20-08-2006, 23:43
Im still annoyed about issue WD 320 but will get the next issue to check the Warhammer coverage. Im quessing WD 321 isnt in the UK yet?
Kinda of annoying they have the talents of some great artists and writers at GW but White Dwarf is being put together like an argos catalogue (sorry):eyebrows:

Tymell
21-08-2006, 07:54
Im still annoyed about issue WD 320 but will get the next issue to check the Warhammer coverage. Im quessing WD 321 isnt in the UK yet?
Kinda of annoying they have the talents of some great artists and writers at GW but White Dwarf is being put together like an argos catalogue (sorry):eyebrows:

I don't know about stores, but I got my copy through the post. So technically it is in the UK, but might not be available fully yet.

Jimbobjeff
21-08-2006, 11:22
I was suprised that medusa wasnt even mentioned this issue.....they missed a perfectly good advertising oppertunity there....

Wintermute
21-08-2006, 17:51
I don't know about stores, but I got my copy through the post. So technically it is in the UK, but might not be available fully yet.

WD isn't published (ie available in shops) untilt he last Friday of every month.

Darth_Blade
21-08-2006, 19:27
Am a little cheesed off with the latest WD, its better than some of the previous offerings, but I still resent having to foot the bill for GW's advertising in the form of their new adverzine format for WD... I mean Warhammer is coming out and they still can't produce in depth articles! Also I read on another thread that they apparently have no plans to bring back Chapter Approved (and I suppose that will mean no WH Chronicles either!!) So the master plan for White Dwarf is to permanently remove all good articles?? How does that make it better??

I moaned about this a lot on the WD forums on the GW website till they were closed (They really CAN'T handle the truth). I was as constructive as I could be (making suggestions etc) but then one day thought 'they shouldn't need my suggestions to simply turn the clock back 20 or so issues and put all the good stuff, the readable stuff back in, after all they took it out in the first place!'

So WD 321, better than the last few (free figures, some better articles) but guys to make it really work it needs....for a start...

Chapter Approved, turn by turn battle reports preferably between gamers armies with pictures, maps and fluff (yes fluff!), WH Chronicles, REGULAR Doc Butchas, more in depth Index Xenos/Astartes-in short all the good stuff they took out to *improve* the magazine

Some guy (UK)
21-08-2006, 20:08
(They really CAN'T handle the truth).

Oh, I think they do alright. They realise that if the kids see such bad 'reviews' of WD on their own forums however, then they might not buy WD. After all it is geared at them now- it would be idiotic to keep open a forum that might put off a fair number of your customers. Shut it down, and it is only places like this where people's opinions on WD can be expressed- someone interested in this hobby, (especially younger ones) are more likely to find GW's website than one like ours.

Later, Some Guy

rab
23-08-2006, 09:49
So WD 321 arrived at last, I’ve got a subscription so should have got it last Friday. I must admit it is slightly better than the last few but it is still very poor. I agree completely with what Darth_Blade has said previously, it sums up my feeling also.

“Chapter Approved” was excellent and needs to be brought back.

“Turn by turn battle reports preferably between gamers armies with pictures and maps”. My favourite was the Iron Warriors v Space Wolves (WD 307’ish) which was played out by two tournament players using their own armies. Excellent batrep which no one that works at WD seem capable of emulating.

“WH Chronicles” Not a big fantasy player but I always read this column with interest.

“REGULAR Doc Butchas” I’ve gotten many an inspiration from these articles.

“more in depth Index Xenos/Astartes” A big favourite of mine especially when done in conjunction with a modeling / painting article.

“in short all the good stuff they took out to *improve* the magazine” very much so, all of my favourite WD’s come from a period around two years ago.

This edition only rates a 5 for me and therefore I still regret renewing that subscription. :(

3 0f 6
23-08-2006, 10:10
TOO MANY ADVERTS

when will they learn that trees have to be felled for that waste of paper, hell i should go through my wd collection removing all the ads, then they d take up less space on my uber shelf.

hell if they had had less ads i nthis issue they oculd have actually played the cities of death battle they chose forces for and set up, hell if the y d missing that bit entirely maybe we could have had more 40k period.

Tymell
23-08-2006, 16:35
WD isn't published (ie available in shops) untilt he last Friday of every month.

Thanks. :)

turn by turn battle reports preferably between gamers armies with pictures

*rant mode on*

YES! Good man, thank you! Battle reports used to be my favourite part of any White Dwarf, and now I think one of the biggest problems, possibly even more than the way they're now put together, is the armies used. They're always the same bloody ones we've seen in all the pictures. In the codexes, the White Dwarfs, the box pictures, everywhere! We've all seen those Ultramarines hundreds of times before, and I for one am sick and tired of them :mad: Show us some armies we haven't seen before, some that might have some nice themes, paint schemes, conversions, things like that. Heck, if GW want my money again that would do a lot better, I'd be far more tempted to start buying again if I saw some nice conversions or army ideas than just the same old models over and over again ad infinitum. The lack of new armies by outside gamers makes battle reports a lot weaker.

EvC
23-08-2006, 18:49
Not a bad issue (It helps to drop your standards), free minis is always appreciated! Half-decent battle report, though they used the Night Goblin Big Boss as a Shaman and Stone Trolls as River Trolls (Perhaps they're being retired?). Some of Alessio's words were a bit poorly chosen, but never mind. The "Endless War" picture was a bit silly, since it contained one discontinued model (Elector Count on Griffon) and one model which will not have rules in a few months (War Wagon-style Steam Tank) but hey.

Rest of the mag was okay, a bit light on content for 40K and LotR.

Tooooon
23-08-2006, 20:06
Sigh, 2 votes for 10 and a vote for 9 again -.-

~Dave

Reabe
23-08-2006, 20:27

~Dave

It means that people can still show a sense of humour in the face of White Dwarf and the "quality" it has now.

Hun
23-08-2006, 20:49
A reasonable issue. Three decent articles, the two battle reports were better than the last few, although they still aren't up to scratch. The wood elf army and tournament review was the best article I have read in the past few months.

More importantly, there isn't anything I would want to go back and read again(army lists and stories for the most part).

Black-Tooth
23-08-2006, 21:26
I think those 'Eavy Metal Masterclass painting articles are a waiste of space. What was it this month, Witch Hunters? They're not useful at all. They basically just have a picture of a model, with a close up of part of it, and say something like 'We used Chaos Black as an undercoat'. It's utter rubish.

Mr Tiddles
24-08-2006, 08:06

~Dave

Yes.
Curse those people with different opinions to your own!

squiggoth
24-08-2006, 09:38
I think those 'Eavy Metal Masterclass painting articles are a waiste of space. What was it this month, Witch Hunters? They're not useful at all. They basically just have a picture of a model, with a close up of part of it, and say something like 'We used Chaos Black as an undercoat'. It's utter rubish.

Great ey? Last month was just as useful - "High Elves are blonde, so we painted this Elf's hair with some brown and white paints. Oh, and those gems are gem-coloured!!!1!!"

:eyebrows:

Little Geek
24-08-2006, 17:54
I didnt think that this issue was so bad, ive had a lot worse (yes and better), i gave it a 7, it would be a 6 but to double page spread of the eldar notched it up one.

In relation to the Evy metal I think its there attempt at incorperating a variety of armies into it, so that its not just focusing on a few specific armies.

Darth_Blade
24-08-2006, 18:44
WD321 took approximately 20 mins of my lunch-break to read, the rest of it felt like flicking through an Argos catalogue- yes there were things I wanted to buy but they were shoved in my face in full colour 'buy this buy this buy this' style- in the 'good old days' (actually about a year and a half ago), it would have been the hobby articles, the fluff, the COOL battle reports that would have switched me on to buying stuff (I actually liked the giant model but the sheer blatancy of the advertising a few issues ago felt like I was being sold a chest of drawers from Ikea not a cool model- buy this buy this buy this! erm actually I won't, can you please get out of my face now) On a plus side, it feature an excellent Wood Elf army this issue, BUT this was pretty much dragged off GW's website (ie it wasn't a new article)

Also, please please please get rid of that Grombrindal editorial! Or at least have him say something good like Tharg in 2000AD, not 'buy this its good, buy this its shiny, buy this its a giant' Its sooo tedious and I think insults the intelligence of all who read it...

Also, have you noticed they put the word 'Citadel' in front of 'miniature' every time these days....yes I know they are Citadel Miniatures, but I think that the fact that I am reading White Dwarf, GWs inhouse magazine might give out a clue that I am looking at their miniatures (as opposed to another companies)- so why do they do it? Its like an advert jingle- what next, Citadel Mac-miniatures!?

and finally...for now....please get rid of the battle trackers, slaught-ometers etc, we are not so foolish that we dont understand victory points (remember those GW, they are in the rules) and our poor brains can handle turn by turn batreps too!

Black-Tooth
24-08-2006, 22:11
Something that got me in particular about this issue was near the front of the mag, it had a red, round bubble saying 'New to the Hobby? Turn to page ## to find out what it's all about!'

Being the inquisative sort, I went straight to the page to see what the new guys would be viewing as one of their first hobby articles. Guess what it was...Ok, it was an double page advert for the new Warhammer set. :wtf:

How does that, in any way, shape, or form help new people? A picture of a book and a price list? Just *********** stupid.

Tooooon
24-08-2006, 23:42
Yes.
Curse those people with different opinions to your own!

Theres a difference between opinions, and downright taking the **** my friend :)

Not even some of the pre 300 issues deserve a 9 or a 10 (well, saying that in comparrasson to the recent issues, they all deserve ******* 12s let alone 10s).

Harky
25-08-2006, 07:54
What got me really pissed off is the lack of info about the 7th edition rulebook. 4 pages my ass, with all the pics and large fonts it was more like 2 pages written by someone on a cigarette break. Everything else about 7th ed was an advert!

Sleazy
25-08-2006, 08:58
I actually enjoyed this issue, I mean no, its not up to the starndard of a few years ago but I actually read through some articles.

I would have liked to have seen more of the WE army, how nice did those centaurs look?

My goblin wasnt smashed or malformed and is actually a pretty good fig for a one parter.

Sadly the dwarf is the most god awful mini GW have produced since... since... well, actually I cant remember when, I've seen more detailed minis fall out of a packet of cornflakes.

Yorkiebar
25-08-2006, 11:08
I gave it a 3, because giving away free miniatures is quite special for WD these days. Speaking of which, how utterly AWFUL were the end results of the Dwarf/Night Goblin painting guides (page 54)?

Keravin
25-08-2006, 15:12
The Psychostyrene Dwarf looks better than this one.

If you know what I'm talking about you are too old.

Little Geek
25-08-2006, 17:39
I would have liked to have seen more of the WE army, how nice did those centaurs look?

I second that, i wanted to see the models in more detail, even if it was just to fill pages they could have given us a double page spread of the army.

my_name_is_tudor
25-08-2006, 20:17
Got my copy today.. so little substance its unbelievable, and any potential redeeming features, like the showcase army, were so pathetically done as to just rub the poor quality of the issue in the readers face. I could hardly see any of those models, tucked away as they were into silly battle scenes.. how is that showcasing?

Its gets a 2 from me, worse than last issue by a point.

Master Jeridian
26-08-2006, 02:14
What can be said that has not already been said about this WD and the previous 5-6?

My pet hates with WD in decending order:

Battle Reports- batching turns in groups is not only lazy but highly confusing for new players, the Slaught-O-Meter is insulting and the armies/missions are uninspired- "Marines again I see?" "Who will win this battle report?" (Checks front cover for latest release).

Advertisements- WD did use to be a hobby magazine about GW gaming, all aspects of it. GW benefitted from this by a small amount of advertising in it, but far more from having a magazine that kept people interested in GW games. Now it is a catalogue, not only that but GW has done the impossible and convinced customers to buy their catalogue rather than having to distribute it freely to get customers. The level of GW fanboy-dom knows no bounds.
The Cities of Death article was particularly insidious.

Contempt- the sheer level of arrogance and contempt for the muppets that still buy WD. We complain on a forum about WD- it gets closed. Letters into WD are vetted for only positive sycophantic feedback. For every complaint of advertisement- more advertisements are crammed in.
I will not be surprised if in the near future WD will proclaim they have 3 battle reports, only for the reader to find each batrep is a page with "Some Space Marines shot at the Orks. The Space Marines won." A picture of a Space Marine army and Ork army displayed on a table, surrounded by close up big pictures.

Positives-

Free stuff...yes, that'll distract/appease them. If only I played Dwarfs, Goblins...or Warhammer for that matter.

Articl..vert- with such sneaky ploys as that Cities of Death article, and the ever increasing Marine-centric advertising- new players are in for a nasty shock whenever their Mega Force army of Ultramarines plays against a non WD army. Easy wins....if not satisfying wins.

Chuffy
26-08-2006, 11:22
Read the shop copy in WD yesterday.

Oh it's great to see the Slaught-O-Meter back! Ah ha ha ha ha...yes, I am retarded. The Slaughtometer is teh bset fing about wyte drawf!!!111

4 pages telling you nothing about 7th ed.

Helms Deep...I already saw this Batrep 4 years ago. Also I really hate how they're choosing to make the mag look now, instead of the very LOTR look they used to have going on in the LOTR section (the page borders etc) it's just the IMPACT font on generic white pages.

2/10

static grass
26-08-2006, 12:33
A free dwarf? a free gobbo? Wow people are easily mislead. Look at the 4 pound in your hand before you buy WD.

Actually I think it is the store locator that comes for free. They took it away for one issue and the price stayed the same and so when they put it back in the price stayed the same. So that means it is free! This is logic.

2ndCompanyVeterans
26-08-2006, 14:16
On a plus side, it feature an excellent Wood Elf army this issue, BUT this was pretty much dragged off GW's website (ie it wasn't a new article)

and finally...for now....please get rid of the battle trackers, slaught-ometers etc, we are not so foolish that we dont understand victory points (remember those GW, they are in the rules) and our poor brains can handle turn by turn batreps too! Darth_Blade [/QUOTE]

This is actually not true the Web Site article was for the Athel Loren Campain and this one is based around the GT, Nice army does kick booty but I would be supprised to see it return to the GT's this year without mods based on the rules changes.

philbrad2
26-08-2006, 15:44
It can be said a god aweful issue. The blatant use of GW marketing hijacking the magazine for the purposes of pushing new content has never been so blatant.

:chrome:

Killgore
26-08-2006, 22:41
another substandard issue, next to nothing in that WD will make me want to come back and reread it again

the WD team should really take a look at some of the older issues during fat blokes rein for inspiration on how to make a good quality magazine.

or hire another monkey to type out a few more words for each article... one that isnt brainwashed with "SpazeMarinnz Rullzzz kkk" in its head.

and stop talking about grombindle its getting embarising, no one wants to read about what an imaginary drawf thinks.

Wolf Scout Ewan
26-08-2006, 22:59
IMHO I would love to see things like the Piscina campaign thing Andy C did.

Now that was good reading!

Jellicoe
27-08-2006, 08:36
A marginally better effort in that i enjoyed the skull pass battle rep and definitely enjoyed the wood elf tournie report. Free figs were nice, although as others have said 'do not a good mag make'

But
slaughtermeter
grouping of turns
excessive use of pictures over text
store finder
not just blatant but repeated advertising of the same bloody thing - yes I know WFB 7th is out but using the same ad several times in the same mag is taking the michael
grombindal editorial - is owen too ashamed to put his name to this anymore?

however a better effort than the last 5 issues so scrapes a 5 and that is probably on the generous side

Interestingly if you ask about why WD is such a load of poo at the moment in your local GW store most of those I have spoken to look a bit sheepish and agree. They said that they had been getting a number of comments that they were regularly feeding back up the food chain - straight into Owen's waste paper bin no doubt, but every little helps

Hlokk
27-08-2006, 16:36
OK, so I have a question about the new WD. Where the frigg was my 40k content?

I only play 40k, and bought WD this morning on the off chance that there might be something interesting in there. I got:

1 6 page artical which is basically a glorified add for the 2 megaforces (bringing megaforce adds up to 10 pages)

1 6 page painting guide on the inquisition which is probably one of the least in depth things I have ever read.

and thats it. I am going to have a few choice words for Owen Reese at games day.

cpl_hicks
27-08-2006, 23:34
after having a quick read of it on my lunch break on saturday, it does seem on quick glance to have gotten better, but i wont beable to tell unitl i have actually sat down and read it properly

Harky
28-08-2006, 11:09
I sat down and read it front to back, it's suppose to be 33 pages of adverts, but when I read the articles it seemed like 80% of all the content was one form of advertisement.

The boyz
28-08-2006, 11:13
Sounds like another pants issue of WD, I think I will save my 4 quid for another month.

cailus
29-08-2006, 00:04
What the useless marketing dicks don't realise is that good articles are better advertising than flashy photos saying "buy, buy, BUY."

A bit of wisdom from Bill Hicks (RIP) which the GW guys could take notice of:

By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. Thank you, thank you. Just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day they'll take root. I don't know. You try. You do what you can. Kill yourselves. Seriously though, if you are, do. No really, there's no rationalisation for what you do, and you are Satan's little helpers, OK? Kill yourselves, seriously. You're the ruiner of all things good. Seriously, no, this is not a joke. "There's gonna be a joke coming..." There's no joke coming, you are Satan's spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage, you are ****** and you are ******* us, kill yourselves, it's the only way to save your soul. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show.

"You know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar, that's a big dollar, a lot of people are feeling that indignation, we've done research, huge market. He's doing a good thing."

Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scumbags, quit putting a godamn dollar sign on every thing on this planet!"

Sorry but the state of WD gets me a little iritated and Mr Hicks always had some good words of wisdom for these sort of issues.

my_name_is_tudor
29-08-2006, 00:18
Actually, thats an irrelevant comment to make in this case.

Fact is, GW's marketing at the moment stinks, and that WD originally was, and still should be, not a means of advertising.

They can market all the want, and should do - but it should be better done, and more appropriately placed.

Scamshouse
29-08-2006, 11:19
As a 40k only player this is probably the worst WD I have seen (been buying them for the last 3-4 years).

What did I get for my £4?

An advert for the Eldar re-release

The "Kappa Mortis Incident" (thinly disguised advert)

Ork terrain (already appeared in Cities of Death)

Advert for Dawn of War

6 Pages on painting Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters, all of it rehashed models from the codex or old Heavy Metal articles.

So (at least) 3 lots of advertising and a couple of rehashed articles!

Absolute tat!

I know it was aimed at Warhammer and the new release but last months and the month before that was pretty dire too.

If this standard keeps up then I won't be buying it unless there is a particular item of interest to me.

WD is like a dumb blonde, looks pretty, good for half an hour, but with no intelectual content.

Owen Reese if your reading this please resign.

Cap'n Umgrotz
29-08-2006, 11:42
Remember the mantra- It's only partially Owen, it's mostly Guy and the men in suits.
(Yeah I know, it's not a snappy mantra, but I'm working on it)

Bronka
29-08-2006, 13:16
Just bought White Dwarf for the first time in over a year, mostly for the free minis. I've been watching the 'White Dwarf has gone to hell' debate with interest in the meantime though - in all honesty I just assumed most of it was baseless whining.

I've now looked through issue 321, and I have to say I'm absolutely stunned at what the magazine has become. It really does give the impression of being one massive advert. As a magazine it's not totally without worth, but there certainly isn't four pound's-worth of content in there. How they manage to get away with charging that much for it in its present condition baffles me.

I won't be buying it again unless it's for more free models, or unless it goes back to the standard it was when I last bought a copy. Fact.

Cap'n Umgrotz
29-08-2006, 13:20
That's my stance, that it's not worth it for the price.
For 4 euro (about £2) I'd buy it.
Not 7 euro.

Venkh
29-08-2006, 15:08
I read my clubs copy and i have to agree that its still poor.

There was a slight improvement over the previous 4 issues. I really enjoyed the Grand Tourney report and the fantasy Battle report was the best in a few issues.

Still a long way to go though:

Grombindal has to go, are we really supposed to believe that the editorial is written by a mythical being?
The Slaught'o'Meter also has to go, its so childish!
Bring back the defined sections and the letters page
Write More!!!!!! Dont just write some bullet points to illustrate the pretty pictures. Write actual structured informative articles of the kind that you find in other magazines.

Ive got to stop before i cover my keyboard in froth.

cailus
30-08-2006, 00:18
Remember the mantra- It's only partially Owen, it's mostly Guy and the men in suits.
(Yeah I know, it's not a snappy mantra, but I'm working on it)

But it is also Reese's fault as much as anybody elses. He could champion the cause of WD but chooses not to. I'm not saying he has to go and make a scene and get sacked. Instead he as editor could have some articles included. I've never heard of such an inept and gutless editor in any publication including some of Australia's more notorious newspapers.

Wintermute
30-08-2006, 06:41
If you want to discuss the pros and cons of the direction WD is taking please discuss it in the General White Dwarf Feedback Thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972&page=26) and not in this one.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

Osbad
30-08-2006, 09:16
Well, I finally got around to picking up my freebie (thanks to BGiME subscription) copy last night. Pleasantly surprised by the Wood Elves article. It was the first actual article worthy of the name I have seen in ooh... many. many months! Interesting to read for a start...

The rest isn't worth a fig though. The Bat Reps are risible and everything else is just one long ad for stuff that I've seen a dozen times already. *yawns*.

As for the freebie figures. Well, as they are simply ordinary Dwarf/Gobboe grunts then what's the point? Being one-piece plastic the definition is pants, and being simple grunts they are only going to be used as part of larger units which will cost ya mega-bucks to build up. I guess if you already have Dwarf/Gobbo armies then they may serve purpose to add in to them if you have a one-model hole in your forces. But for anyone else they are a waste of space. A gimmick, nothing more. I gave mine to my son (aged 5) to play with! He was pleased as punch...

If getting hold of this issue involves you parting with cash just don't do it.

purplehoob
30-08-2006, 11:50
Have to admit that I voted a five, as there has been a marked improvement. Still quite crap but an improvement on past crap.

I though there was a thread on the now closed Games Workshop White Dwarf page saying that they would never give out free figures again, as it costs them too much money.

Still if it improves again next month I may vote it a 6, have to agree that the slough o meter is an insult to intelligence.

RevEv
30-08-2006, 12:02
This is a good WD - plenty to read on the new FB, and I mean plenty. This is a vaste improvement on last months, which I read in one sitting, in a restaurant, waiting for my order to arrive. there's actually some meat in the articles - even if the two battle reports are a bit lame (but then, I do feel that they are sometimes overrated).

Bronka
30-08-2006, 12:17
As for the freebie figures. Well, as they are simply ordinary Dwarf/Gobboe grunts then what's the point? Being one-piece plastic the definition is pants, and being simple grunts they are only going to be used as part of larger units which will cost ya mega-bucks to build up. I guess if you already have Dwarf/Gobbo armies then they may serve purpose to add in to them if you have a one-model hole in your forces. But for anyone else they are a waste of space. A gimmick, nothing more.

I disagree. I've been looking forward to buying Battle for Skull Pass, and was pleased to have the new sculpts in my hands early. Not just because of the 'oooooooh, shiney!' factor, but also because I can now try out the paint scheme I have in mind.

And for those who didn't buy the mag specifically for the freebies, seeing the models in the flesh might just be enough to persuade them to buy Skull Pass, which in turn may lead to many happy hours of gaming.

So in a sense it is a gimmick, but I'm still glad they did it - only good can come of it.

ThousandPlateaus
30-08-2006, 21:46
And for those who didn't buy the mag specifically for the freebies, seeing the models in the flesh might just be enough to persuade them to buy Skull Pass...

Yeah, definitely - until you stop oggling the goblin and look at the godawful dwarf.

Cannoness Radegunda
31-08-2006, 11:27
I've been charting the demise of the stately old fella for some time but this edition is clearly the worst yet.

OK so I'm a 40K player but the only bit of genuine content was the Designers Notes for WFB which was ok but didn't mean much to me. Everything else was a cross referenced advert. If something is in the 'new releases' section at the front does it really need a two page spread later on? (yes special editions of the WFB rule book I'm looking at you)

The Kappa Slappa incident was an advert for the Megaforces, the Inquistion section was an advert for the Collectors guide and criminally only used pics already printed in codexes etc. In the past this would have been a great opportunity to show some nice, non studio stuff.

Most amusingly of all the mag just kind of dribbled to the end - no 'look at this nice staffer army', no letters, no nothing.

And I think that pretty much sums it up for me - nothing inspirational on either the gaming or hobby front.

And £4 get's you at least one mini you might actually want.

Can't wait for the siege of the WD stand at Games Day :evilgrin:

Darth_Blade
31-08-2006, 11:30
Lol maybe the WD stand will 'mysteriously' fail to appear......:)

Gen.Steiner
31-08-2006, 13:04
'twas better than 319-320, still worse than 318.

I liked the free figures (who wouldn't), but the content wasn't good. Ork city was fun, deserved more space and time.

Horrendous Sad Man Alert:

Anyone else notice that in the 'background' for the Kappa Mortis Incident it refers to the XV-15 stealth suit being in use at the time, and the bits of intel the two forces are fighting over being prototype bits for the XV-25 stealth suit?

Now, look at the forces. The Tau are using the ... XV-25! :D

So an ahistorical force, according to the background. Those stealth troopers should be in XV-15s, you know the ones, the old metal figs.

The Judge
31-08-2006, 18:50
But the new army deal comes with XV-25's, so what can they do. It's an advertisement, not a re-enactment.

Finn Sourscowl
01-09-2006, 07:49
I have to say that while this issue was a big improvement on the last one I bought (318), it still lacked depth. There was again far too much blank space and pretty piccies and not enough text.

This said, however, the Wood elf article was very good, as was the Ork City. The battle reports were ok and at least there were maps. Still way too short though.

One thing I did notice, though, with the free models which doesn't bode well for the Battle for Skull Pass... the casting on the free Dwarf was pretty poor compared to the Goblin... no definition on the shield etc... anyone else notice this??

On a final note... my local indie has raised the price from 49 Swedish crowns (about £3.50) to 69 SEK (about a fiver) so this is almost certainly the last WD I'll be buying. I simply can't justify the cost. Not for something that is still at the end of the day, unfortunatly, a catalogue.

leonmallett
01-09-2006, 08:29
I am a subscriber to WD and have been for several years. My main gaming buddy is also a subcriber (for a year or two longer). We have both been reading the magazine on and off for nigh on twenty years. Each month we discuss the content of the issue and comment on improvemnts made or detrioration. After the latest issue we are both considering letting our subscriptions lapse, as any real content in there seems available through other media and is generally of little substance. I feel that the deterioration of WD is symptomatic of a greater malaise of GW in general, and that is one of quality. Yes some gteat models are still being produced, but so are some substandard ones (I'm immediately thinking of the recent Possessed). Books are being put out with poor wording. The main instrument of printed information/content is increasingly a large advert - I wonder if sales continue to decline. My point is somebody needs to be placed in the studio to monitor quality, to ensure GW maintains high standards and isn't simply a matey 'aren't we great' club charging an arguably high price for its product.

As it stands my subscription will not be renewed.

Osbad
01-09-2006, 08:37
One thing I did notice, though, with the free models which doesn't bode well for the Battle for Skull Pass... the casting on the free Dwarf was pretty poor compared to the Goblin... no definition on the shield etc... anyone else notice this??

Yeah, I noticed it too. The gobbo was reasonable, for a one-piece plastic casting, but the Dwarf was just horrible! The side (and rear) view are jull of the worst kind of lack of definition and in-fill that the one-piece plastic moulding process can produce. Even the sculpting is off - his arm is way out of proportion and the pose is just totally unimaginative.

Having not played WFB since second edition, I was seriously considering investing in Skull Pass - a £40 (or £34 after internet discount :)) "game in a box" is not to be sniffed at, particularly with 100 models in it. BUT, looking at the quality of that Dwarf I'm now not so sure. Enjoying painting the models is a key ingredient of buying the thing, and I certainly won't enjoy painting up such poorly moulded examples as that horrible dwarf.

I guess I could still buy the thing and flog off the Dwarfs on eBay, but then I no longer have the whole "game in a box" thing going on so right there I've lost the attractiveness.

Well. I guess I've learnt one thing from this rag, and its that "the new GW plastic dwarfs are crap". And at least with getting the thing free with the end of my sub to BGiME it hasn't cost me anything to learn that fact!

funkman2000
02-09-2006, 16:55
Hi everyone i'm new to the forums:)

Down to buisness then; I have been into the hobby for many years and am just coming back into it. So having lurked on your forums for a week or two to get up to speed I was rather concerned at what I was hearing so I picked up white dwarf for the first time in about a year....

Horrible. As someone who has not witnessed the steady decline of WD over recent issues nothing could really prepare me for the poor quality and half assed attitude. Heres my take on this:

The warhammer 7th edition overview
What was this? Did I miss something here; whatever happened to the several dozen pages we use to get of non-stop text with a few pics to note such an imporatant release? There was no content here; I find it insulting that this is considored coverage of the 7th edition. All I saw was a few quotes from the book, some massive pictures and about 1 1/2 pages of actual text. The two pages showing art were nice but looking at the rest of the mag it was just an excuse to waste two pages instead of telling us anything useful.

Battle for skull pass report
How I weeped when I saw this. I had been warned by the forums that the battlereports had gone down a peg but....wow. They use to make me care about what happened, it was the best bit of the mag before...now its over before it even begins. The slaught-o-meter I think summarises what GW thinks of us loyal fans these days.

Helms deep
Hmmmm I seem to have faint re-collections of reading this before; reading previous posts I seem to be right.

Standard bearer
If you have a dispute read the rulebook or roll for it. That is a summary for the article; all the rest of the text is just to fill two pages.

The 40k army thing
Shameful.

Wrath of the Asrai
A faint memory of the past glory of the mag; a 6 page tribute to what things use to be like (ish). It might not have been great I can't tell; if it had been in the mag a few years back I may not have enjoyed it so much but in this issue it seemed to be the only reasonable article.

Page fillers
The reast of the mag can be broken down into page fillers as far as I can see; lots of ads, gamesday maps, useless paint articles (what was the point in the balrog bit!!:confused: )

Overall I am really disappointed in what has happened here; I am someone who loved the fluff and professional nature of WD and reading it today I saw something totally differant. When they took out all the great stories and background bits from the army books I was really shocked as it took away a very large part of the fun in my opinion, but at least WD filled in the blanks and made it more enjoyable.

Not any more:(

2/10

Gen.Steiner
02-09-2006, 17:43
In defence of the plastic Dwarf, I rather liked it - it fits in very well with my old monopose plastic Dwarfs from, er, 4th or 5th Edition WFB which make up the bulk of my (very small) Dwarf force, and which I personally prefer to the newer multipart Dwarfs.

And the Night Gobbo is funky too. Pity I'm doing Savage Orcs and Forest Gobbos (the plastic Spider Riders are droolsome), but there you go.

As for the issue itself, well, 4/10 for me. Still a looong way to go, but it is showing some signs of improvement, e.g. the Wrath of the Asrai. It'd help if they took Owen Rees and Guy Whatsisface out and shot them, then shot the suits and beancounters who demanded the changes.

Then brought in the Firebase and Battlegames teams. :p

RampagingRavener
02-09-2006, 17:50
I just wonder why people have so much against the "Kappa Mortis Incident". Yea, so it used the new Tau/Marine boxes, but its still a new scenario. You can pretty much just swap whatever armies you like around for Marines/Tau and just treat it as a competely new scenario.

And isn't that what one of the things people wanted to see in a magazine was? New Scenarios, rules, and the like. They give you a new scenario, and all of a sudden, its "OMG TEH ADVERTISING!" just because it uses the boxed forces. By that logic, any battle report of a new army is advertising, because its using the new models released that month...

Yes, the magazine has gone down in quality, but I still find it perfectly readable and enjoyable. Still get an hour and a halfs reading or so out of it, and I don't begrudge the cost for what I get. It is slowly getting better, I think. Gave it 7/10, overall.

Gen.Steiner
02-09-2006, 17:53
What I dislike about the Kappa Mortis Incident is the blatantly ahistorical Tau army, but then I'm weird like that.

No, I like the scenario, 'tis cool. What I object to (apart from the XV-25/15 issue) is that at the bottom, in a large box, it has "Hey! Buy the new Megaforces to fight this battle!" rather than, well, not, and just having the scenario itself be the inspiration for purchases.

tenpole
02-09-2006, 19:28
First issue of white dwarf I have bought in four years. I guess I haven't missed much. First issue I ever bought I think was issue 61 or 60 something in the times of thrud the barbarian and talk of all the role playing games D&D etc. It was ok then. But of course when GW bought white dwarf they did not want to promote competitors games so they give articles for there own games.
Ok but for absolutely ages now White dwarf has been a catalogue that we pay for. When they first started doing battle reports they got to do them very well so why the poor standard now. Battle reports should be turn based with full diagrams. Fluff can be written in between.

Best ever issue 180

zak
03-09-2006, 12:40
The thing I find hard to believe about the downfall of WD is that they only have to read the mag, they produced about 6-10 years ago and reproduce that. Decent battle reports that were turn based and interesting. I'd prefer to see a real battle report rather than lets play six games and see which is best. If they picked there armies and got beaten badly then atleast it could be a learning point for the readers.
The amount od advertising hasn't really gone up. What has gone down has been the quality of the content in between.
The reason I got into GW is because about 20 years ago I picked up the WD ans liked what I saw. Now. Forget it.

I have to give this about a 3/10. Overall, must do a lot better.

Mr Tiddles
03-09-2006, 20:05
But of course when GW bought white dwarf they did not want to promote competitors games so they give articles for there own games.

White Dwarf has always been owned by GW.

Gen.Steiner
03-09-2006, 21:27
Well, yes, but for a good while they advertised other companies' stuff and ran articles for D and D and things.

White Dwarf does, after all, predate Warhammer Fantasy Battle. ;)

Mr Tiddles
04-09-2006, 08:12
Well, yes, but for a good while they advertised other companies' stuff and ran articles for D and D and things.

White Dwarf does, after all, predate Warhammer Fantasy Battle. ;)

Because at that time GW sold those things as well.

It wasn't altruism that made them include articles like Runerites and Fiend Factory - their shops were selling those games (RQ and D&D - younger readers ask your dad) at the time.

They stopped featuring those games when they stopped selling them in their stores. WD has always been GW's advertising engine. I remember the storm of protest on the letters page when the editor finally "revealed" that WD was a "house mag". Seems some folks were naiive enough to think WD was/should be some sort of independent voice of the hobby.

Jellicoe
04-09-2006, 16:23
This is true - and I do recall the house mag debate from all those years ago (although not as good as the Twilight 2000 and kids in roleplaying debates) - their move from their roleplaying games support also created some upset too as they paired down to the core games we have now. however that change happened circa issue #90 nearly 20 years ago. Since then WD has supported the core GW games etc and has provided hobby supplements and articles to them. Yes it has also acted as an advertising medium too, but rather as a clever one to entice people further into the hobby by providing it with depth and content. This has now been ditched in favour of a rather crass and simplistic 'BUYTEH GIANT TEH ROXXOR!' approach that is clearly cheaper and removes all content from the magazine. I can only assume that the target is not to create long term hobbyists but to suck as much pocket money from the kids in as quick a time as possible before their interest turns to gurls etc. chiz chiz

It is the house mag but it is how it is advertising and selling its wares that depresses me. I shall read FIREBASE for my hobby content now. In fact I shall be printing off to take home shortly. For all the little gripes people have had about spelling and layout the content is first rate and what WD should be but sadly I think will not be in future unless there is a real change in attitude.

I await with interest the feedback people give from Gamesday and whether or not messers Reece and Haley will be available to answer questions......

tenpole
04-09-2006, 16:52
It is the house mag but it is how it is advertising and selling its wares that depresses me. I shall read FIREBASE for my hobby content now. In fact I shall be printing off to take home shortly. For all the little gripes people have had about spelling and layout the content is first rate and what WD should be but sadly I think will not be in future unless there is a real change in attitude.

Whats firebase?

Jellicoe
04-09-2006, 21:16
FIREBASE is the new 40k fanzine put together by Darkseer et al and is available to download on this site and this site only. It is on the title page of the site and is well worth a look

I think Crube and Jedi152 are trying to start a WFB one in the WFB forums and is worth a look

didnt realise you were a Kent chap tenpole albeit a bit further noth than me

tenpole
04-09-2006, 21:40
Some say sheppey does not count as being a part of England let alone Kent

Wintermute
05-09-2006, 06:32
Can we keep this thread on-topic please?

Wintermute
TheWarSeer Inquisition

Mr Tiddles
05-09-2006, 07:03
Yes it has also acted as an advertising medium too, but rather as a clever one to entice people further into the hobby by providing it with depth and content. This has now been ditched in favour of a rather crass and simplistic 'BUYTEH GIANT TEH ROXXOR!' approach that is clearly cheaper and removes all content from the magazine. I can only assume that the target is not to create long term hobbyists but to suck as much pocket money from the kids in as quick a time as possible before their interest turns to gurls etc. chiz chiz

May I draw your attention to the issues that surrounded the Gorkamorka release?
'BUYTEH NOBZ TEH ROXXOR!'

Or perhaps the oh-so enticing and subtle issues that accompanied the release of Space Marine and all it's supplements:
"We are too lazy to actually generate any content, so here instead are reproductions of many of the less useful pages in the supplement. Without any additional supporting material whatsoever"

Now personally I quite enjoyed those issues at the time, much as I enjoy the current issues. My point is that people tend to view WD with rose tinted spectacles. It has always advertised GW's products. Sometimes with more subtelty, other times with less. That's why it exists.

static grass
05-09-2006, 12:04
Now personally I quite enjoyed those issues at the time, much as I enjoy the current issues. My point is that people tend to view WD with rose tinted spectacles. It has always advertised GW's products. Sometimes with more subtelty, other times with less. That's why it exists.

So there have been better and worse issues of the GW monthly catalogue we can all agree on that. I think most people can say that we still had some good issues even upto about 12 months ago.

But since then WD has fallen off a cliff in terms enjoyability and readability. It offers nothing to the experienced gamer. There is no content. There is no inspiration.

bob syko
05-09-2006, 17:50
I have flicked through it a couple of times but read nothing, I haven't even stopped to look at the pictures.

Calindor
11-09-2006, 07:24
for the third time in a row now I give the WD a rate of only 2 :( Makes me sad. i really want to give better. I really hope that it get better. THe thing that disappointed me the most is the battlereports, if anyone from WD reads this( I don´t think so), please bring back the old good battlereports with one page for each turn and player with tactics and thought. I do miss them

Gen.Steiner
11-09-2006, 08:33
May I draw your attention to the issues that surrounded the Gorkamorka release?
'BUYTEH NOBZ TEH ROXXOR!'

Still better - and less pages of them - than the Giant Issue.

Yes, WD has been an advertising machine, but as Jellicoe points out, a cunning and interesting advertising machine. As it stands, it's a huge neon billboard screaming BUY OUR STUFF!!!

Even the Gorkamorka issues included things like a short series of articles following the progress of a chap's gang, articles on scenery making (which only mentioned GW's hills and bits boxes - everything else was found or bought from Homebase or somewhere) and such like things. The Giant issue... didn't.

Sephiroth
12-09-2006, 12:49
Don't suppose anyone could give me a summary of the Kappa Mortis Incident? I'm more of a fluff-fan, so with the current forum opinion regarding this issue, I'm curious to know if I'm missing much.

Incidently, I knew the whole XV25 thing was going to be wrong, given that, as stated on the GWUK 'site, it's set during the Damocles Gulf Crusade...

UltimateNagash
12-09-2006, 13:02
I've noticed that many people say about how the adverts take up the first 20 pages of their WDs. Look at issues from 300-. They had lots of them, but gave information about the release, make decent pictures of everything included, and got everything to fit better, with plenty of news, like an entire page of text (small as well) just about the new 40K release.
The old issues were far supurior, as not only did they show you new stuff, but gave proper tips on how to make and paint them, with interresting tactical battle reports, with information written by gamers for new units and the like, while coming up with trial rules.
Look at issue 293 (UK WItch Hunters release). That had about 8 or 10 pages on the WH release, but gave lots of information about everything. It also included things for Epic Armageddon, the first Creature Feature (which reintroduced Enslavers, and gave rules for lots of new things) and came with a full battle report, with the Witch Hunters agaisnt Tau, with the gamers own army (not the studios). And it showed lots of information about good conversions on Inquistors. It also came with good tactis for many armies, new rules for tLotR and background articles.
That's how to make a decent WD. End of story.

tenpole
12-09-2006, 13:25
The white dwarf team are lazy. Give them the sack.

Some guy (UK)
12-09-2006, 16:05
The white dwarf team are lazy. Give them the sack.

Wrong. They are being told what to do and write. Unless that was a highly sarcastic comment, then fine.

Later, Some Guy

tenpole
12-09-2006, 20:52
Maybe the problem is they are being told what to do. Give all of GW the sack. Swap the staff with Mcdonalds.

Gen.Steiner
12-09-2006, 21:53
Don't suppose anyone could give me a summary of the Kappa Mortis Incident?

An Aquila lander *coughbuyBattleforMacraggecough* has been shot down by Tau forces. Unbeknownst to the Tau, said lander was carrying experimental parts for the new stealth suit design (later to become the XV-25). The AdMech wants it back, and so an Ultramarines Strike Force *coughbuytheMegaForcecough* is despatched to retrieve it at all costs. The Tau, wondering what the hell the Space Marines are up to, send out a fast, elite strike attack team *coughbuytheMegaForcecough* to retrieve whatever it is their enemy wants so badly. They fight over the lander, the Ultramarines get the stuff and run, and the Tau shrug and build the XV-25 anyway - with a slight delay in production.

If, of course, I recall correctly... but I think that's it.

cailus
13-09-2006, 02:01
I gave this issue a 1.

I mean it is the release of the 7th edition of their flagship game and it was just a lame, boring read.

The battle report was absolute *****. It didn't even outline the new rules to any degree. There is no point to them anymore and they might as well scrap it.

The discussion on the new edition of Fantasy was pathetic too. I s'pose the changes aren't too radical to warrant an indepth article?

The Kappa Mortis incident was rubbish and poorly concieved.

The Witchhunters paint guide was ok if you're new to the hobby.

In fact I can't think of a single enjoyable article in this rubbish piece of bog roll.

I miss fluff articles, terrain articles, interesting battle reports, interesting new scenarios, wacky new rules and all the other stuff that used to make the White Dwarf.

Nazguire
13-09-2006, 07:37
An Aquila lander *coughbuyBattleforMacraggecough* has been shot down by Tau forces. Unbeknownst to the Tau, said lander was carrying experimental parts for the new stealth suit design (later to become the XV-25). The AdMech wants it back, and so an Ultramarines Strike Force *coughbuytheMegaForcecough* is despatched to retrieve it at all costs. The Tau, wondering what the hell the Space Marines are up to, send out a fast, elite strike attack team *coughbuytheMegaForcecough* to retrieve whatever it is their enemy wants so badly. They fight over the lander, the Ultramarines get the stuff and run, and the Tau shrug and build the XV-25 anyway - with a slight delay in production.

If, of course, I recall correctly... but I think that's it.

In other words, an attempt by the GW WD team to make it look as if they are implementing background into the battle reports once again, as well as 'cunningly' disguising their true desire: buy more of our stuff or else.

Gen.Steiner
13-09-2006, 08:54
Well, in fairness, the Kappa Mortis Incident isn't a BatRep, just a fairly average scenario...

cailus
13-09-2006, 09:30
If the Kappa Mortis incident was done as a well written battle report it could've been interesting.

But the drones at GW lack the imagination for such an idea.

And also no fricking Ultramarines...I am truly sick of them.

Nazguire
14-09-2006, 07:49
If the Kappa Mortis incident was done as a well written battle report it could've been interesting.

But the drones at GW lack the imagination for such an idea.

And also no fricking Ultramarines...I am truly sick of them.

Something featuring no Space Marines would be great.

I always like Imperial Guard battle reports. Not the cookie-cutter IG armies, but the actual player ones. Brian Cook's Vostroyan army is amazing, rough riders and everything. I'd like to see that fight another army, preferably Tyranids or Eldar for something interesting.

In a real scenario.

With a good points limit (2000 or more are fun)

With good background attached

and background related rules

:D

Alabama-Shrimp
15-09-2006, 01:33
Im not very good at writing what i think but i voted 1 again this month and would have given it a 0 if there was a choice.

321 was ***** so bad i havent read anything through as they all seam to just be trying to sell, sell, sell and nothing more if 322 is like this its a definate sub cancel for me.

ThousandPlateaus
19-09-2006, 09:40
Brian Cook's Vostroyan army is amazing, rough riders and everything. I'd like to see that fight another army, preferably Tyranids or Eldar for something interesting.

In a real scenario.

With a good points limit (2000 or more are fun)

With good background attached

and background related rules

:D

You could ask for a free moon-on-a-stick, too. :)

Gen.Steiner
19-09-2006, 09:46
I demand that GW ship free moons-on-sticks with WD 322!

Griefbringer
19-09-2006, 09:57
Well, I saw a copy of WD322 in a local library yesterday (apparently the post had worked fast this month), and it did not have free moons-on-sticks - however, there was a WHFB reference sheet in the middle.

Time for a WD322 feedback thread, I guess?

Gen.Steiner
19-09-2006, 09:58
322's out already!? :confused:

I don't have my subscribers' copy...

spikyjames
19-09-2006, 10:08
subscribers copies will probably be out friday

james

Gen.Steiner
19-09-2006, 10:14
I bloody coco!

Griefbringer
20-09-2006, 06:42

Here outside UK they sometimes arrive later or earlier than in UK, depending on the vagaries of international mail happen on that particular week.

ThousandPlateaus
20-09-2006, 06:53
Here outside UK they sometimes arrive later or earlier than in UK, depending on the vagaries of international mail happen on that particular week.

No way?! :)

Mr Tiddles
22-09-2006, 21:02

When I asked MO about this I was told that Northern Europe (GW's name for Scandinavia and Belgium) ship there copies as soon as they get their hands on them, whereas the UK copies are shipped to arrive the penultimate weekend of the month (i.e. a week before they hit UK shops).
So Swedes etc (or in this case Finnish librarians) often get their's before us UK folks.
The Troll implied that they (UK) weren't happy about it, but couldn't stop NE sending it early.:rolleyes:

Grimtuff
22-09-2006, 21:19
Well, i've not recieved my copy of 322 yet. As my housemate (incidentally a GW staffer) said to me "They're probably holding off sending out this to the subscribers until after Games Day. So the have less ammo" :evilgrin: