PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the US White Dwarf and the UK White Dwarf - An Analysis By LegoBurner - Aug

legoburner
19-08-2006, 23:57
Hello, I was in the US last week and took the chance to head to a games workshop and pick up the latest WD. The issue is 319 and features Legions of Middle-Earth. The issue is basically UK 320 - Same cover and mostly the same content and so that is what I will be comparing it with.

General Overview:
Before I get into the content differences, a note on the magazines. Both are the same paper size, but the US one uses cheap, thin, glossy (women's weekly magazine) style paper, whereas the UK one uses a thicker, nicer, satin style paper. The UK issue is higher quality (my US issue is already dog-eared but the UK one still looks fine and both have had similar treatment). The US issue costs $6 (about 3.20) and the UK issue costs 4 (about $7.50).

Content Overview:
I have used the same standards for counting content. I only count actual articles as content. New releases, adverts, ordering information, store lists, etc are not counted as content. I count standard bearer as content even though it is basically an advert this month. Golden demon results (US) count as content. It is worth noting that the font in US studio articles is fractionally smaller than the central studio font (about 1 or 2 points smaller). The editorial is not included as content, neither are the tables of content. News and specific store events are content. Article cover pages are not content unless they have the start of an article's text on them.

UK number of pages: 132 including covers
US number of pages: 156 including covers
UK actual content pages: 71 (61 non-content pages)
US actual content pages: 114 (42 non-content pages)
UK content percentage: 53.7%
US content percentage: 73%
UK price per page of content: 0.055 / $0.100
US price per page of content: 0.027 / $0.052

Now a comparison of the content in each. The format given below is page, system, content title, my personal rating out of 10, and an asterisk is used to mark if the content is the same in the UK and US. Note that I like 40k, blood bowl, necromunda, BFG, epic, warhammer and mordheim in that order. LOTR is not really my thing so bear that in mind for my biased ratings.

UK Index:
24: *News
29: *LOTR: The Great Battle of our Time 5/10
39: *LOTR: The Domination of Osgiliath 6/10
49: *Toolbox: Water effects (Note, I treated this as non-content as it is an advert with no real content IMHO) 0/10
51: *LOTR: The Two Towers 5/10
62: *Standard Bearer 3/10
66: *Warhammer: Lizardmen 5/10
71: *40K: Death Stalks Machavius 5/10
82: *Warhammer: Eavy Metal: High Elves 6/10
86: Warhammer: Dok Butcha 4/10
88: *40K: Index Xenos - Eldar Rangers 6/10
96: Warhammer: The Art of Games Workshop 3/10
99: 40K: Arming for Medusa Part 5/10
104: 40K: Death from Above 7/10
108: Games Day 2006 Preview 4/10
112: Frontline and Direct
Average Score 5 / 10, 15 distinct sections/articles

US Index:
22: *News
26: *LOTR: The Great Battle of Our Time 5/10
34: *LOTR: The Domination of Osgiliath 6/10
38: Warhammer: Gotrek And Felix (Note, this in the Contents page but not the magazine, page 38 is still the LOTR article)
45: *Toolbox: Water effects (Note, I treated this as non-content as it is an advert with no real content IMHO) 0/10
47: *LOTR: The Two Towers 5/10
56: *Standard Bearer 3/10
60: *Warhammer: Lizardmen 5/10
65: *40K: Death Stalks Machavius 5/10
76: *Warhammer: Eavy Metal: High Elves 6/10
80: *40K: Index Xenos - Eldar Rangers 6/10
84: US Studio Content Index
86: US News
90: Events / Store list (Counted as non-content)
92: 40K: Mercenary Showcase 8/10
98: 40K: From Concept to Reality (Eldar army showcase) 9/10
104: Warhammer: Battle Report: The Debt of Delberz (Dwarfs vs Dogs of war) 7/10
116: Warhammer: Dogs of War Showcase 8/10
122: Golden Demon Baltimore 7/10
141: Echoes from the Warp (Letters) (somewhat interesting but I will not bother rating it)
142: Tau Showcase 9/10
148: Bitz & Pieces (Direct ordering advert but focuses strongly on conversions so counted as content)
Average Score 6 / 10, 20 distinct sections/articles

UK Overall:
Half the magazine was not content, the remaining content was fairly poor. Enough has been said about this issue on this forum that I dont feel the need to comment in detail. My arbitrary score is 3 / 10.

US Overall:
Editing was not as consistent as the UK issue. Page numbers point to articles that are not there in a couple of places. The US studio content, though only 50% of the issue, was very good and took about 90% of the time I spent reading this issue. US content is formatted like the UK WDs of old, with proper 1-turn at-a-time battle reports, small text and long articles. My arbitrary score is 7 / 10.

Conclusion:
Well the numbers are obvious, in terms of content, the US white dwarf represents twice the value of the UK white dwarf! If there are US-based people here complaining about the quality of white dwarf, you dont know how good you've got it. The UK studio content is not great and there is not much of it. The central studio content (assumed to be the content which is in both issues), is terrible. The UK white dwarf has a terrible amount of non-content. The US studio content is excellent. Fire the UK studio, make the US studio the WD overlords. I'll be getting the US WD in the future, but I could never buy a UK WD again and not be bothered by it.

I'll be in the US again in late september so will pick up the next US white dwarf and will write this article again if people would like to see it for a newer issue (since I'll have the equiv. UK WD anyway).

Lastly, excuse any typos/errors... I am tired and it's 1.00AM here zzzz Hope you enjoyed my analysis. Please comment to make it worth me doing this :)

Keravin
20-08-2006, 00:18
I've long argued the US WD is far better. That's why I'm sorting my mother in law to get me a subscription.

One of the more recent issues had a functioning battle report with maps and army selection discussion. The modelling content for the US is also great and they seem to get that when we do want to see showcases like Golden DEmons that we like to see multiple shots on some items.

Maguni
20-08-2006, 00:19
Well, with the first part of the magazine being form the UK in both magazines, the UK edition doesn;t have much to add while the US studio can add more content.

THey're both the same, but for the us studio addition in the american WD giving it much more to offer.

citizenkade
20-08-2006, 00:25
Haven't seen the UK WD in a LONG time... I like the US gang, they seem to care alot about the games... my only complaint has been some of the photos looking a bit grainy at times, and I think the binding got a little cheaper recently. I had issue 317 fall apart on me last month, which has never happened before. I have issues of WD going back to 197 and haven't had ANY of them fall apart yet!

Minister
20-08-2006, 00:49
I continue to wonder why there is no UK Dwarf team. If the overseas ones get the Studio stuf pluss what they write themselves, it is inevitable that they will have more content.

BlazeXI
20-08-2006, 06:25
Some of the WD US brilliant articles and up in WD UK but with a very long delay. Sometimes they show up on tne web. But this is not the problem of the peope working on them in UK. It is the problem of the ones giving them guidelines what to include.

Tooooon
20-08-2006, 11:15
Oh well, another motive for me to whine at the WD Team at GDUK even more ^^

~Dave

sliganian
21-08-2006, 13:24
What I find funny here is that many of us here in North American have been complaining about the craptacular turn that WD has taken. Best example regards Battle Reports. They've been gutted. Whereas each turn used to take a page all on its own, they are now reduced to 'Armies and set-up' (2-3 pages) First bit (1 page) middle bit (1 page), ending (1 page) closing (1 page).

Or, as my friend summarized: "The Reps are now 'we set up, stuff moved, someone won, Huzzah!"

cailus
21-08-2006, 13:51
The UK one seems pathetic. Even the Australian one has added content not included in the British one such as a proper Tau versus Nurgle bat rep in issue 320 or cool army features. It's the content from the central studio (i.e. Guy Haley's goons) that brings the whole thing down.

I'm surprised the British one is so pathetic as Britain is their main market.

ExquisiteEvil
21-08-2006, 15:14
To all those complaining - you have obviously never seen the 'new' Canadian White Dwarf...

We used to get the US one with an extra canadian readers magazine for $10.00. The high price was ofset by the fact we got the extra bit.

now we have our own the page count has dropped to 92 and we still pay $10!

makes me sick

hereticdave
21-08-2006, 17:52
Yeah i've stopped buying it altogether now. I picked up "issue #1" for the hell of it but 2 and 3 haven't remained in my hand longer than 2 minutes when i've picked them up from the newsagents. It really is slumping to an all time low - hell i don't mind full page adverts for the latest boxed set [even in the heyday they had em] as its a good oportunity if nothing else to see 'Eavy metal paint jobs on them - but for chrissakes make the rest of it decent :(

Hopefully once they're in the swing of pumping out articles more and larger than they're used to in the addon mag it'll get better. Until then i'm not seeing much thats worth me paying the exorbitant $10 for it....