PDA

View Full Version : Making a Beasts army with lots of big things!

Peachy
20-08-2006, 11:36
After painting up a few minotaurs I've decided a pure big boys army would be great fun to paint up and hopefully to play. Probably won't be as competitive as a standard list but that doesn't worry me so long as it's fairly competitive. Just wondering what kind of list would work that would include as many minotaurs, ogres and dragon ogres as possible (and maybe a shaggoth) and still be competitive. Obviously a Doombull list will help here, but how many units of each of the big boy types should I include?

I've also been told that chaos ogres suck but am tempted to try them just because they'd add some variety, and also I don't mind the figures (I also know most people hate them!).

Any thoughts?

Mephistofeles
20-08-2006, 11:43
I'm guessing you'll be playing Beasts of Chaos, right?

I'm not that used to that list, but if the sheer size of your models is what gets you going, then twin Shaggoths, maybe 5 units of Minotaurs and some Trolls?

And I really think you should try to add a shaman or two, I know they aren't that "big", but you will like them after they have foiled some nasty magic cast upon your big boys.

Voltaire
20-08-2006, 16:10
If you want to stay with the "Big" theme, I recommend you take a Doombull with the Mark of Tzeentch, or some Wargors with the Mark of Tzeentch.

DeathMasterSnikch
20-08-2006, 18:41
Or convert ;)

Converted Minotaur shaman/Possessed demon-otaur etc will both fit in and have all the advantages of a normal bray shaman.

neXus6
20-08-2006, 18:43
Chaos ogres are as good as any other ogre rules wise...the problem is that like the chaos trolls the models are so ugly you wouldn't even want to melt them down and recast them as something else for fear of the taint of crapness still lingering and warping the new model. :p

I'd go for as much variety as possible. Include the lot but make sure you convert Ogres and Trolls. ;)

Mephistofeles
20-08-2006, 19:26
Yeah, those Chaos Ogres rue aren't pretty, my friend usually refer to them as "Being sculpted with a shovel"...

Anyway, I think that converting a Minotaur Bray Shaman would be damn cool!

druchii
21-08-2006, 00:17
Hi!
You might have seen my thread earlier about my quandry with a "doombull army of doom".

I Find that having atleast four units of "big" guys is very advantageous, allowing you to atleast fill out the middle of the board with solid "core" monsters.

You'll rely alot on screening, and diverting charges. If your big nasties get exposed to much shooting, that'll be the end of your army (because unless you go the Nurgle route your minotaurs will have a 6+ save).

So you've got two options, continue down the path of "all big guys" and damn yourself to little to no magic protection, or sully the "bug guy" theme, and include Brayshamen, beast herds (an awesome block/re-direct unit).

I'm all for going the second route. You can still include a mass of big guys, but also suppliment their effectiveness with extra magic, flanking/disruption, and diversion.

d

Cpt. Drill
21-08-2006, 02:20
Btw... the minotaur army is concidered quite dirty... especially if you combine it with slaneesh shamans!

Take about 4 units of 4 minotaurs... 3 level 2 bray shamans (Slaanesh of course) then a few mediums sized beast heards and a few units of expendable hounds for luring and you have a very good army... Oh also stick a fighty character in there and maybe a giant or two!

Peachy
21-08-2006, 04:31
Thanks for the responses. I'd rather stick with the big guy theme, even though I know it won't be as effective as a normal beasts army.

Hmmm, a Doombull led Slaanesh army with 3 level 2s could be interesting... Might have to try that! Or maybe a Slaanesh Shaggoth Champion with 3 level 2s and minotaurs filling up the special slots?

Capslock
22-08-2006, 16:46
My GF plays a Slannesh "Big Nasties" army with 2 shamans and she's been surprisingly successful with it. However she uses mixed screening units such as herds and dogs. Its very vulnerable to massed fire and stalls on some units (undead, unbreakables, etc.) but its speed and "width" help to trap the enemy in a corner and combine charges to devastating effect.

druchii
23-08-2006, 02:40
Thanks for the responses. I'd rather stick with the big guy theme, even though I know it won't be as effective as a normal beasts army.

Hmmm, a Doombull led Slaanesh army with 3 level 2s could be interesting... Might have to try that! Or maybe a Slaanesh Shaggoth Champion with 3 level 2s and minotaurs filling up the special slots?

I've also thought about a Doombull army with tzeentch marks.

Alot of magic protection, which a Minotaur army usually lacks, it also can be supported by a decent magic phase, with the single (unless you break the "big guy" theme) mage throwing the maximum dice/cast on each casting attempt isn't bad.

Although going nurgle tends to make the whole of the minotaur force much more resilient, with 4+ normal saves on the minotaurs, and +1W on the doombull.

TheWarSmith
23-08-2006, 04:00
Yeah, but tzeentch allows him to usually have either a ward save or rerolls on armour/ward/hit/wound.

Doombull only becomes a lvl 2 wizard w/ MoT right?

If so, you'd have to break the theme and take 1-2 wargors w/ MoT, or it might make sense to take aspiring champions on horse to put in the minotaur units so they won't slow down the minotaurs.

Plus, I think doing a Tzeentch mino army allows much more creative conversions than nurgle. Nurgle conversions are usually pretty standard. Green stuff some puss, tentacles, rotting buboes, etc.

druchii
23-08-2006, 06:35
As opposed to giant axes, blood, or MORE tentacles, fethers, beaks, etc.

It still doesn't feel right to me to include some mortals in a beasts army. It seems miserly and lame.

I'd rather stick to one army book and avoid the dirty looks.