PDA

View Full Version : BFG and large bases?

Darwin_green
20-08-2006, 20:18
I read on the FAQ somewhere that anyship can elect to be on a large base and gains a Tractor field? What is it and what does it do?

ArtificerArmour
20-08-2006, 20:23
I'm sure we've had this before.

Basically, ork ships came with big bases. If they have a big base they count as having a tractor beam, meaning they can hit other ships easier and board them, but meaning they are more vulnerable to ordnance because their base is bigger.

Just a reason why your ship came with the wrong base.

Darwin_green
20-08-2006, 20:45
no... what I'm talking about is in the Errata pdf. On page 5 under "Ramming, Boarding, and base size". there's a line about

"...Any vessel can elect to use a large base and is considered to to have tractor fields for free."

so basically it's just a weird rule so someone doesn't spaz out when they see a ship with a large base?

ArtificerArmour
20-08-2006, 21:00
yes, yes it is.

Darwin_green
20-08-2006, 23:32
thanks... I happen to have a weird looking ship that I've havent' been able to figure out how to mount it on a small base.

now I can just use a big base.

IncrediSteve
22-08-2006, 02:18
I saw this rule just the other day, and i was wondering, how does the tractor beam work? I've got all the PDFs [Rulebook, Invasion, Armada] but can't find it.

If you'd rather not post the rules [don't see why, they're free] could you provide a page number and which document they're in?

Tanks in advance.

And yes, that's tanks without an H. More flavorful that way.

ReDavide
22-08-2006, 07:00
I saw this rule just the other day, and i was wondering, how does the tractor beam work? I've got all the PDFs [Rulebook, Invasion, Armada] but can't find it.

It's not a tractor beam, it's a tractor field. A field that draws everything within a certain distance toward the ship.

That certain distance being the radius of the large base. ;)

So it makes it easier to board enemy ships (large bases can get into contact mroe easily) but makes you more vulnerable to ordnance (easier to reach the large base).

So in other words the tractor fields have no rules aside from the direct effects of having a large base. They're just the fluff explanation for the modeling change.

IncrediSteve
22-08-2006, 19:30
Ah, easy enough. A fancy name for nothing.